The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014/15 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

In January we finally see what this team really looks like with a healthy squad and the product looks good. With this group, I like our team too.

Surely there is work to do, including getting someone on the 1/2 wall to help the powerplay. The Oct-Dec team was injured with a lot of people filling in roles. That team was not good. The healthy team is way, way better and could probably fight for a playoff spot.

We need to find a way to get rid of Semin, either by trade, buyout, waivers or the KHL. Even if we eat 1/2 it's still 3.5 mil in cap room.

In terms of the draft there are a lot of really good players in the top 10, quite a few of whom will be able to contribute pretty quickly. In order to build though, we need a number of mid to late round picks to get players to develop, not a big splash. That's where trading Tlusty and others will come into play and eventually lead to organizational depth.

For all bemoaning the apparent repetitive feeling to this season, and I often fall into that category so in a sense "am a pot calling the kettle black", I think the one aspect of this mess that we ALL have to step back, and take a deep breath over, is that this familiarity is the result of THE PAST REGIME. BD58, Francis inherited this fiasco, and obviously with a limited budget and a prototypical "miserly" millionaire, if not billionaire, owner, his hands have been virtually tied. Add to that a top heavy salaried team, several contract restricted player movements, players not performing commensurate with their retrospectively unwise deals, falling fan support and obviously falling business sponsorship, and I'd suggest that Ron Francis is a genius so far!!

I still can only imagine how this team would be playing if Skinner and Semin were even mostly up to par...

But, what to do? Those who have been with this team since at least the cup have earned the right to be frustrated by the annual march down the draft board. The fact that the team has to be bad to get the pick is PART of the frustration. No one really wants us to be that bad for an entire year, but at some point this teasing w/ the top pick then, when it's too late, coming on like gangbusters for just long enough to drop down the board gets old.

It's like, JUST DO IT for once. Get there ONE time! After years of yo-yoinng in the bottom half, it is not wrong to think that.

Then add in the two guys at the top of the draft and it gets crazy.

However, the flipside of that is that the way this year is structured w/ two super elites and only THE last place team gauranteed one of them, this is also a year that mearly hoping to drop into last will not work. Buffalo is clearly going all in on last. To the point that with their actions (not words) they are saying, "you want to beat us to last? Don't bother, you can't get bad enough."

So to me, if you aren't finishing dead last, then it isn't worth too much effort on SRM. Still, let's not get crazy with the winning, and moving Ward for instance, could help keep the W's down a touch at least.

OK so RF wants to take a moment to see how good this team is. But how long do you look? It's like looking into the sun. Get a look, but then look away.Well, as one who has maintained "pretty good", even I know we are not THIS good (though w/ a firing Skinner and Semin? Maybe close).

As to moves, I have to think part of it is this. Every GM in the league knows this is a juicy draft. They are slow to part w/ first rounders, and really that's what we want. My guess is that we would entertain offers on anyone, but Skinner and Ward might be the correct balance of return on investment and reshaping the team for the future. But the return has to be there, espcecially for Skinner.

We are not seeing a bunch of big moves being made, so it seems that the offers aren't quite there yet.

If we are not going to finish dead last, then to me it becomes more ideal to get picks. At least one extra first rounder. At least mid round ideally. SRM can still be employed to drop into a better tier of picks, and at some point we should do that. But part of the SRM is to trade a guy helping us win now for a pick.

In January we finally see what this team really looks like with a healthy squad and the product looks good. With this group, I like our team too.

Surely there is work to do, including getting someone on the 1/2 wall to help the powerplay. The Oct-Dec team was injured with a lot of people filling in roles. That team was not good. The healthy team is way, way better and could probably fight for a playoff spot.

We need to find a way to get rid of Semin, either by trade, buyout, waivers or the KHL. Even if we eat 1/2 it's still 3.5 mil in cap room.

In terms of the draft there are a lot of really good players in the top 10, quite a few of whom will be able to contribute pretty quickly. In order to build though, we need a number of mid to late round picks to get players to develop, not a big splash. That's where trading Tlusty and others will come into play and eventually lead to organizational depth.

You like this team?  We all said the same thing earlier this season.  I hope you're kidding.  This team, as it stands, has no chance of making the playoffs this season or next.  We're a bottom dwelling team.  How does a bottom dwelling team have any chance of making the playoffs next season with the "we like our group" mentality?  Sure, this team had a good month in January.  But have you looked at the standings and see where this team seats.  There is nothing to be optimistic about from that stand point.  Same old story 6 years and counting.  The team will probably end up finishing 9th - 10th  and screw itself over draft pick wise.

Top 3 priorities:

1. Sign Sekera

2. Get Semin to produce or unload him

3. Trade Skinner

I have had enough of Skinner.  He is not worth that contract.  He is also not scoring goals and not able to play defense.  I am questioning what exactly he brings to the table these days.  My only guess is his ability to try to be a 1 man show and turn over the puck in the offensive zone time and time again.

Edited by bluedevil58

You like this team?  We all said the same thing earlier this season.  I hope you're kidding.  This as it stands has no chance of making the playoffs this season or next.  Same old story 6 years and counting.

Top 3 priorities:

1. Sign Sekera

2. Get Semin to produce or unload him

3. Trade Skinner

I have had enough of Skinner.  He is not worth that contract.  He is also not scoring goals and not able to play defense.  I am questioning what exactly he brings to the table these days.  My only guess is his ability to try to be a 1 man show and turn over the puck in the offensive zone time and time again.

Depending on what happens with the current UFA/RFAs, I like our chances next year.

Mike Sundheim

The @NHLCanes are now 7-3-1 w/ Jordan Staal in the lineup. A .682 winning % for the season would rank fifth in the league.

Stuff like this is why I think you have people on here agreeing with the 'I like our group' sentiment. Granted it is a very small sample size but it is certainly more encouraging than, say, the Sabres current 12-game skid. Plus this is being done with little input from Skinner and with Semin and Nestrasil (big future upside) in the Press Box. We'll see how things play out for the rest of the season but unless there is an epic collapse I don't think this team is ready for a complete tear-down.

The team on the ice now that is healthy, has a top 5 PK, is 8-2-1 in the last 11 and has beaten Tampa Bay, Boston, and a shootout loss against St. Louis. Yup, I like that team. We need a playmaker to help on the PP, and could get deeper but I think the team is heading in the right direction. I trust RF and the Hammer.

Kudo's start tomorrow v. The Blues a showcase game??

It could be. The thought crossed my mind but I somehow doubt it. We could be keeping Ward on the shelf as trade deadline approaches. Ward could have a slight injury that needs rest or Peters is just going with the hot hand.

The team on the ice now that is healthy, has a top 5 PK, is 8-2-1 in the last 11 and has beaten Tampa Bay, Boston, and a shootout loss against St. Louis. Yup, I like that team. We need a playmaker to help on the PP, and could get deeper but I think the team is heading in the right direction. I trust RF and the Hammer.

Not a showcase...just Peters sticking with a lineup that is working. He has made that pretty clear in his recent statements.

I think it's probably a two fold thing on Khudobin.  Peters is sticking with the hot hand and also I think they need to see what Khudobin can do with a regular workload.  They need to be able to make decisions going forward and knowing if they can "ride" Khudobin in valuable information for them (and for any prospective trades).

I don't know what kind of trade value Khudobin might have. He is certainly below the radar on rumors and on the poll on who to trade.

As with all trades it comes down to return. In general, I think Khudobin has played well enough to free up Cam for a trade. Since (at least we used to) want to get rid of some bloated salaries, Cam would be the guy.

BUT, what if the salary inhibited return. As in my latest offering on the poll, I've suggested Cam return a first round pick. I've been told that he would never return that, AND that he would return substantially more. So who knows?

What if someone would give their first rounder plus something for Khudini? Doesn't really move a bloated salary, but that might be why someone would want him, and we do have Ward still.

Yes, the dreaded NTC. It is a fair point. When I read his latest comments I heard more, "I don't think I'll be traded at this point." That could mean he has been told that, or that he might not waive or that he is just guessing. 

In the past he's seemed to indicate a willingness to waive, as saying in the summer that he thought he was gone.

A Khudobin trade would be kind of out of nowhere, but just about everyone should be on the table.

IF Cam was to be traded for a decent return, I think the ship sailed when Minnesota went and grabbed Dubnyk from the Yotes.

I just don't see any of the other teams vying for playoffs (and in need of solid goaltending) willing to give up what we'd want for Cam at this point.

In terms of the angle that Cam would say no he might as well be performing career suicide. Khudobin is cheaper, younger and once again his stats are beating Cam's.

If Cam wants any hope of staying a starter any team that reaches out for him to make them better he needs to jump on it because I don't see him being the starter here after both goalies deals end.

From our angle, I think you take ANY deal and fast. That money needs to goto trying to save Sekera. 3rd round pick? Screw it... save Sekera. We have another guy who can do the starting job just as well for 4 mil less.

This coming from a guy who holds him in as high of regard as Cinconuwayway does to Larose.

I can't recall what the one goal loss numbers were prior to Jordan's injury but it was somewhere near ridiculous. You didn't think a 50-60 point a year guy was going to change those numbers in our favor?

Jim Rutherford, is that you?

Khudobin is cheaper, younger and once again his stats are beating Cam's.

Those two things would make Dobby more desireable than Cam right now as a possible trade bait.

With a back-to-back tonight and tomorrow, Dobby plays tonight; Cam tomorrow.

As this season's goes, I really don't see mgmt making much, if any, change by the deadline, unless it is to get rid of and dead weight currently on the team.

In terms of the angle that Cam would say no he might as well be performing career suicide. Khudobin is cheaper, younger and once again his stats are beating Cam's.

If Cam wants any hope of staying a starter any team that reaches out for him to make them better he needs to jump on it because I don't see him being the starter here after both goalies deals end.

From our angle, I think you take ANY deal and fast. That money needs to goto trying to save Sekera. 3rd round pick? Screw it... save Sekera. We have another guy who can do the starting job just as well for 4 mil less.

This coming from a guy who holds him in as high of regard as Cinconuwayway does to Larose.

This.  X2.  It's a great angle.

Yeah, I voted to trade Cam in my poll. Of course I assumed a bigger return though. Some have suggested that a first rounder is too much to expect, and some have suggested that the return would be more.

I have been and continue to be an advocate of keeping Sekera even if we overpay a bit, and remain in that camp. In fact if I list the Canes players we can ill afford to lose, he's right there w/ Faulk and Linholm...

But a third rounder? Cam's salary is big, but he only has one more year on that deal...and I tend to see a third rounder as a long shot, and thus really a pure salary dump. I just have to think we could at least get a second rounder.

But the way he is playing since October...he could always be traded off season too....I really hope we can get a first rounder if we move him.