The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014/15 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

While I pretty much wrote off Boychuk a few years ago, I'd have to think this is about his final last chance to stick at the NHL level. Because of injuries, he'll probably get an opportunity to be in a position to contribute. He can't just disappear...again.

I'm going to be optimistic. How great would it be if he was able to breakout. I rember when terry got that shoot out win. That was awesome to see a player come up from Charlotte and have an impact like that.

I will say I wanted to see more of Boychuk. I know he didn't blow it out, but was he that bad? I just hope if they're going to bring him up that Peters sticks to his word on giving him a scoring role.

Have to chime in guys with the obvious, If the Canes haven't had bad luck to start out this year, then they've had no luck at all. What an absolute mess, menial off season moves, counting on our elite to once again establish the game we know they are capable of, and then we get several injured!

While several on here will correctly point out that all teams suffer injuries,. A la Ottawa several yrs back, in my memory, I don't recall it ever STARTING out this bad. At least if this string of bad luck occurs in the season, usually the team has had some chance to establish some type of plan??

And super Dave, I agree on Boychuk and this one last chance. I hope he runs with it, as he will never again have this type of opportunity.

Anyone have any sniff of news on Eric?

On one other front, oft times, we like to console ourselves with the thought that this cursed early away trip, forced by the State Fair, will benefit the team by early bonding, I'm wondering if we'll realize that benefit this time because of the current "holes" we have in the lineup?

Edited by KJUNKANE

Well one thing that I really didn't expect was both of our goal tenders to struggle.  I think we all assumed we would be good in that position and possibly have best tandem in league.  Thats def still a possibility but as far as opening weekend goes, 9 goals between them in two games is scary. I know its not all their fault but.......somebodys gotta step up and be amazing for a while until we get our team back or we are in big trouble this first couple months.

Well one thing that I really didn't expect was both of our goal tenders to struggle.  I think we all assumed we would be good in that position and possibly have best tandem in league.  Thats def still a possibility but as far as opening weekend goes, 9 goals between them in two games is scary. I know its not all their fault but.......somebodys gotta step up and be amazing for a while until we get our team back or we are in big trouble this first couple months.

I agree that this is unexpected by both goalies. Neither has looked sharp. Though around the league this weekend, a lot of league best goalies have struggled as well. Quick: 4.00GAA, Lundqvist: 5.05GAA compared to Khudobin: 4.14GAA and Ward 5.08GAA

Heres to hoping Boychuk finally becomes what many think he can be!!!  we are starting to lose things to hope on, and

beginning to look more and more like the Thrashers....

Per Mike Smith, Staal and Dwyer won't play Tuesday. Skinner skated by himself today and will skate with the team tomorrow. He may play Thursday. Forward lines in practice were:

Tlusty-Rask-Lindholm 
Gerbe-Nash-Semin 
Malone-McClement-Brown 
Terry-Boychuk-Bellemore

Per Chip, D-man pairings were:
Sekera - Faulk
Harrison - Murphy
Gleason - Liles

I agree too early to gauge goalies, but look at our centers! Holy thin as tissue paper Batman!

I guess we'll get to evaluate the prospects, but in no way evaluate the core.

Great news on Skinner though.

Yeah, I thought Hainsey would be a one game scratch. Peters must be really really making a point there.

Since no injury has been reported, what has Hainsey done to become the 7th defenseman?

Very strange to me too. Hang an "A" on his jersey and then he's the 1st casualty of Peter's Silver Hammer.

Is it just me or does this team look to be in one big transition to whatever it is Francis and Peters want to make it into over the next couple of seasons?  I was at the home opener and Brad Malone and Jay McClement looked like 'just filling a spot' type players.  I realize we're but two games into the season but this has the appearance of being a long ugly season. Two goalies have given up 9 goals (not all their fault), no PK to speak of and defence by committee not looking strong.

I'm not feeling it this year with this edition of the Canes...

:boarding::injured:  :wheelchair::deadhorse: (that's not a dead horse, that's our team who happens to be down)

I feel sorry for Peters. Trying to build a culture is tough enough.  Boosting morale in the midst of this carnage makes the job that much harder. 

Edited by LakeLivin

Very strange to me too. Hang an "A" on his jersey and then he's the 1st casualty of Peter's Silver Hammer.

From the 3 games I have seen, it appears to me that message number 1 should have been sent to Semin, not Hainsey.  I never saw Hainsey skating around like it was Sunday afternoon at the local rink.  Semin appears as though he has no sense of urgency or care whatsoever. I am sure he does, but I don't see it.  I am sure that the depletion of the lineup has kept him from getting the hammer, but someone damn sure needs to get his attention IMO.  Shoot the puck and quit trying to make the highlight pass!!!  Put it on net where you can create opportunities!  All that talent with no drive.  You know that has to be frustrating as hell to coach. 

I'm baffled on why everyone is digging into Semin. Usually when he's on the ice he becomes the only Hurricane player capable of carrying the puck more than two feet, and the only one capable of skating it past more than one opposing player. He usually carries it as long as possible with no passing options and then flings it at the net or tosses it back to the point. That's not his fault no one gets into better positioning to accept a pass. 

Excited to see Semin and Gerbe together tomorrow. They played a bit together in the pre-season and did some good things.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

Agree with suckapunched on Semin.  Although he has the appearance of 'gliding' his career plus/minus indicates he does way more good on the ice than bad.  He's also an introvert so you aren't going to see big Canadian/American displays of emotion from him.  If there is a better puck wizard at the forward position than him who is it?

Agree with suckapunched on Semin.  Although he has the appearance of 'gliding' his career plus/minus indicates he does way more good on the ice than bad.  He's also an introvert so you aren't going to see big Canadian/American displays of emotion from him.  If there is a better puck wizard at the forward position than him who is it?

I meant better puck wizard On The Canes, than who is it?

I'm baffled to know who "everyone" is who is digging on Semin?  Seems like the one poster who commented even admitted it's just how he saw things and acknowledged it may not be what it seems.

Everybody on the team needs to be better at the little things, including those taking unnecessary retaliatory penalties which directly lead to goals by the other team. ;)

Includes Semin and Gerbe, according to the coach's comments.  I don't think comments like these are condemnations of the players skillset.  Just a recognition of playing smarter.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Whenever Boychuks name is mentioned I get a flash back to the boxing discussion in the movie Coming to America. Just insert Boychuk every time they mention Rocky Marciano.

Per Mike Smith, Staal and Dwyer won't play Tuesday. Skinner skated by himself today and will skate with the team tomorrow. He may play Thursday. Forward lines in practice were:

Tlusty-Rask-Lindholm 
Gerbe-Nash-Semin 
Malone-McClement-Brown 
Terry-Boychuk-Bellemore

Per Chip, D-man pairings were:
Sekera - Faulk
Harrison - Murphy
Gleason - Liles

Certainly not an NHL team that anyone would be terrified of playing. We have become the Chicago Cubs of the NHL.

I think the most frustrating penalty I've seen are the ones directly stemming from a failure to send a message during the play. You want the other team to believe our crease is a sacred place and to think twice about going to it. So naturally instead of clearing the crease during the play we are going after them after the whistle? Tell me how winding up in the box is supposed to send a message about leaving our goalies alone?

From AHL to first line center Mr. Rask.

Certainly not an NHL team that anyone would be terrified of playing. We have become the Chicago Cubs of the NHL.