The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014/15 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Not digging, just making an observation.  Maybe you see it differently, maybe you have seen the pre-season games and I have not had that luxury.  He hasn't appeared to me as though he has wanted the puck in the 2 games against New York.  I seriously question if his injury is still bothering him.   

I'm baffled on why everyone is digging into Semin. Usually when he's on the ice he becomes the only Hurricane player capable of carrying the puck more than two feet, and the only one capable of skating it past more than one opposing player. He usually carries it as long as possible with no passing options and then flings it at the net or tosses it back to the point. That's not his fault no one gets into better positioning to accept a pass. 

Excited to see Semin and Gerbe together tomorrow. They played a bit together in the pre-season and did some good things.

Certainly not an NHL team that anyone would be terrified of playing. We have become the Chicago Cubs of the NHL.

Great quote. Actually got a little chuckle when I saw it. Truth is in the print tho. Definitely a "trail by fire" season in our midst.

Great quote. Actually got a little chuckle when I saw it. Truth is in the print tho. Definitely a "trail by fire" season in our midst.

I LOLed at that, having been a suffering Cubs fan.

But I also LOLed at the proposed lines.  I mean, really.  That name anonymity on our line card is scary.

The way this woeful season is starting and the absolute hard and fast stance that Francis appears to be committed to surely will allow the coaches to get a concrete assessment of the players top to bottom in both the AHL and the NHL! Should that have been the hidden message in Karmanos' cryptic statements uttered sometime back which several, including myself, thought to be ramblings of an out of touch, dowdy owner? Maybe his proclamations of "the fans have to be patient" was more of a pronouncement than we realized.

Estaal may be traded by deadline, nhl network boys think so, let him go to a winner, and we get some young picks back... If we cant beat a horrific  sabres team at home , before this road trip,  well, what can you  say?

The Sabres played today too. They are a test. A test of how we play the leading contender in the Conner McDavid sweepstakes, tired vs rested, at home. 

The problem is, with both Staals and Skinner out....what exactly are we testing?  I guess our depth. 

Not sure we want to be poking that thin ice very hard though.

Again, vs a back to back road weary team that is probably actually worse straight up than our current line up, and in desperate need of a win, and especially at home....

We really do need this one.

If ever there was a time for the Boychuks and Rasks to bring it. Oh and a big night from Semin would be nice too.

Wonder who's in goal.

Edited by remkin

Certainly not an NHL team that anyone would be terrified of playing. We have become the Chicago Cubs of the NHL.

Seeing as the Slugs lost 5-1 and were outshot 44-12, we do have a slight chance.

I'm not sure what a win or a loss in the next game will tell us. This lineup we have at the moment isn't the team we had hoped to put on the ice. If we beat them we will have beaten a very bad team. If we don't, well this isn't the team we had hoped to put on the ice and with a little luck it won't be in a few days.

When we get E Staal, Skinner and Dwyer back it will be more like the team we had hoped to ice. Some of the young guns can get back to Charlotte where the re-build is taking  place and evaluations at both levels can continue.

What we are seeing right now is what a team looks like in a total rebuild. On Tuesday night we will get to see it on both sides of the red line. But it could make for an exciting game.

well it will probaly wont be a 6-1 win, but  something like   4-1 i would take, who am i kidding, just win.. :)

OBXER WROTE:

What we are seeing right now is what a team looks like in a total rebuild. On Tuesday night we will get to see it on both sides of the red line. But it could make for an exciting game.

That's exactly what I was thinking of posting after two periods of last night's game. Then they came back and took the punch line away.

But if you go back and just watch the first two periods of that game last night, think: "You want to trade both Staals? You want to trade Skinner? OK, but this is the hockey you will be watching for at least one or two years." And that was against a team that I would put money on finishing in last, that had played the night before.

Edited by remkin

I wouldn't trade Skinner. My order of preference would be E Staal, C Ward, A. Semin. I can live with a few years of additional pain. When we need Semin to step up with all the injuries,he looks more like an AHL callup. 23 mil tied up on that trio, I'm sure we can obtain some talent with that wallet.

At the moment we didn't go the trade route. So we are looking at a team that should get Skinner and E back soon. With luck Sekera won't miss much time and Dwyer will help on his return. I think we need to have them back before we know how good or bad this team really is. I thought E was playing well before the injury.

Right now we have a lot of guys playing above their "pay grade". That shouldn't be a reflection on their talent only their experience. Since we chose not to go the trade route after J went down. this is a time to watch who among the young players emerge and when the veterans get back send the others back to Charlotte. We have what looks to me like a group of young players that have a real chance to develop into NHL players, given time.

Terry and Nash are PPG players currently.

Boychuk? 2 PPG.

Who said "small n value"? 

Really I still think at the end of the day, if we get most of our horses back it is the back end that seems more problematic overall right now. Clean up the defensive zone mistakes. 

The PP keeps humming along too.

But seriously, we need our guys like Boychuk, Terry, Rask etc. to contribute from the third line ideally.

I'll also just throw out there that this team w/ J and E and Skinner all hitting stride could be a lot better than most assume. If only we can keep things close until then. Because that team we've seen as it is currently playing and configured will not.

We need a couple of bodies back and some tighter play all around. And Mr Semin needs JR to call him out again.

Edited by remkin

I wouldn't trade Skinner. My order of preference would be E Staal, C Ward, A. Semin. I can live with a few years of additional pain. When we need Semin to step up with all the injuries,he looks more like an AHL callup. 23 mil tied up on that trio, I'm sure we can obtain some talent with that wallet.

It's really hard to focus and shut down the teams only offensive threat when 3 top 6 forwards are injured.  isn't it?

Liles "banged up" late in last night's game, per Peters, which is why he didn't skate today.

Andrej Sekera "very sore" this morning per #Canes head coach Bill Peters, but he wanted to skate. Peters won't count him out for tomorrow.

Jeff Skinner will travel with the #Canes to New York. Decision to come on his status for tomorrow.

Missing: E. Staal (upper), Dwyer (lower), Sekera (upper) and Liles (?).

Jeff Skinner out of his no-contact jersey at #Canes practice today.

93c99361d6542dfa7fdf8a5fcfaae976_normal. Chip Alexander @ice_chip  ·  15m 15 minutes ago

Peters says of Sekera's injury that he thought he might have broken his neck.

Man, I wish we had 3 more Sekeras!

Say what you want about JRs tenure here, the moves he made during his last offseason here were borderline brilliant.  If we could add only one significant piece each offseason it would make a huge difference.  In Sekera and Gerbe he had two, and Tolchinsky still may pay off somewhere down the line.

(oh, and I'd take another Gerbe or two while we're at it)

Edited by LakeLivin

Terry and Nash are PPG players currently.

Boychuk? 2 PPG.

Who said "small n value"? 

Really I still think at the end of the day, if we get most of our horses back it is the back end that seems more problematic overall right now. Clean up the defensive zone mistakes. 

The PP keeps humming along too.

But seriously, we need our guys like Boychuk, Terry, Rask etc. to contribute from the third line ideally.

I'll also just throw out there that this team w/ J and E and Skinner all hitting stride could be a lot better than most assume. If only we can keep things close until then. 

This.

I think that for both Terry and Boychuk, seeing that Nash stuck last year has helped their confidence tremendously. They looked like they were having BIG fun last night, and - save Skinner and Lindy - guys who look like they are enjoying playing on this team have been precious few, and far between.

I don't think that Eric is going anywhere. I see a lot here of "if this team is way back at the deadline, then we'll be selling off the Staals, Semins, Wards,etc" but how is that going to work? Most of these guys have no movement clauses, and Eric especially seems like he doesn't want to go anywhere else. Jordan just signed a 10(!) year deal here, and not long ago Eric was talking about what it might take to get Marc to come to the Canes as well

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/599887

What are the odds that he convinces all his brothers to play for this team and then spoils the reunion himself by leaving? Not that likely. While most hockey minds seemed to write us off before the year even began, Eric hasn't bought into that and still wants to be a part of a competing team here. And who's to say he is wrong, none of us have seen this team at full strength yet.

But there is a lot of year left, and as Law-Dawg posted if things really go down hill, Toronto may be a place he's willing to go to. Maybe in a perfect world he nets us Bozak, Gardiner, a 1st liner, convinces Marc to sign here this off season anyways, then comes back himself in 2 years time (at a reduced rate from 8.25 of course). Things never work out that well though do they?  ;)

No way we pull the trigger on an early trade...but it's interesting to see. Honestly, I really like how the team is playing stylistically and want to see the system implemented at close to full throttle (E and Skinner adding some punch with Sekera patrolling the back end). I think Nash/Rask will be able to hold the fort on the 2d line and we might start surprising some folks here soon.

Despite the disappointing results so far, I'm liking the coaching and the system so far.

I have low expectations for this team for the next two seasons, then I think we can start making real changes and real improvement.

Coming into the season I wanted to see effort, a plan on the ice (system), accountability, more team toughness/sticking up for teammates, improved special teams, and development from our young players. For the most part I have seen evidence of all of these things (PK excluded).

For now though, someone needs to grab the crease and run with it.

Hey canes fans , im a leafs fan here that wanted to find out more about the team

i had a question for you hurricanes fans

what would you want back in an eric staal deal?

i was thinking a mobile defensman franson or gardiner +

a good defensive defensman prospect like loov or granberg ( ceiling for granberg would be a good top 6 and for loov i`d say top 4 , hes really underrated , fast but big and physical , also not bad with the puck ) +

a good bottom 6 player, we`d give up someone like carter ashton ( former first round pick , ahl scoring phenom, just hasnt gotten the shot at the nhl level to see what he can do) +

bozak?

and maybe like a 2nd and a third something like that

for eric staal and 2-3m of cap retained?

Maybe im just a delusional leafs fan , but just wanted to put it out there and would appreciate some feedback

thanks guys , on behalf of

- Leafs Nation

It's really hard to focus and shut down the teams only offensive threat when 3 top 6 forwards are injured.  isn't it?

No it wouldn't be hard to do at all,but Buffalo didn't even have to focus on shutting him down. I saw no evidence that Buffalo needed to do that. Just a very poor effort/performance on Semin's part. 

If the Leafs are willing to pay a "King's ransom" to get E. Staal, I would buy-in only the Francis would admit the Canes are committed to a rebuild mode