The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014/15 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

The only way we get to top 4 is if we manage to package up our #1 with the Kings (if they make the playoffs to get their 2015 pick) and trade it up. I'd hope for a total collapse, but with Buffalo and Arizona giving away their entire team in an obvious grab for 1 and 2, the Oilers being the Oilers, and the meltdown in Toronto, I think that's unlikely. Our MO is to be absolutely dreadful just long enough to give hope that there could be a silver lining only to inch toward being better to the point that the silver lining disappears.

Please sd1, don't wish this on us!! After the crapitude of this 6th season in a row, and the idiocy of raising ticket prices in the face of this farcical group, at least let me dream of a top 4 pick???

It's been a while since I've posted here and I'm going to try and make this short and sweet.

While I am disappointed in yet another season w/ no playoffs, I am proud that this group has not resorted to "tanking for McDavid". I feel a certain number of teams who shall remain nameless are/have been intentionally tanking in order for a shot at McDavid. And yes, while the idea of a potential superstar in the making playing in the red and black is enticing, intentionally tanking is not the way to go. It is an absolute insult to the fans who pay money to attend games, it is also sending the wrong message to the players. There is also no guarantee that McDavid will live up to the hype. There are also many talented players in this years draft, which is considered to be very deep.

I do believe we have found a good coach in Bill Peters and I do think we will be a competitive team in time with him running the show. I also believe Francis is going to do everything in his power to assure we can see a 2002, 2006, 2009ish team again.

I look forward to the future and hope it gets better, I believe we are finally headed in the right direction.

There is also no guarantee that McDavid will live up to the hype. There are also many talented players in this years draft, which is considered to be very deep.

Exactly.  While I have no doubt McDavid will be an all star franchise player in the league one day, it's a lot of intangibles that make you a great player in this league, and we won't know that until he actually plays a game.  When I see his stats, they look similar to John Tavares.  Good player, franchise player, but no one's misplacing him as the league's best.  A team like Arizona is really hanging their hats on getting one of those top 2 players.  They have very little prospects, and I think that Yandle trade will haunt them all the way out of that city.  They got a lot of draft picks, but not much veteran players to guide them.  By time a lot of them develop, Doan will be retired.  They're destined to become the new Edmonton.

I do believe we have found a good coach in Bill Peters and I do think we will be a competitive team in time with him running the show. I also believe Francis is going to do everything in his power to assure we can see a 2002, 2006, 2009ish team again.

I look forward to the future and hope it gets better, I believe we are finally headed in the right direction.

Which is why I will ultimately renew my mini-plan, despite the 40% increase.  (And I'll make them grovel for my business, since I have a bit of a mean streak.)

I really like BP and RF so far.  The draft will be intriguing.  RF already made some moves with the scouting staff.  Not sure it is enough.  But we shall see.

Which is why I will ultimately renew my mini-plan, despite the 40% increase.  (And I'll make them grovel for my business, since I have a bit of a mean streak.).

That's the way to make them pay (sarcasm alert)

RALEIGH, NCRon Francis, Executive Vice President and General Manager for the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has activated defenseman Ryan Murphy from injured reserve. Murphy has missed the Hurricanes’ last 11 games with a lower-body injury suffered Feb. 4 at Arizona.

It looks like he might be a healthy extra tonight.

I feel like we will end up picking 5th to 7th, depending on whether Toornto throws in the towel as Arizona and Buffalo have done and how well Columbus plays. This still gives us something like a 5% chance at the 1st pick (and Buffalo only has a 20% chance). I think it is more important to instill a winning culture in the players we have coming back than to throw away the season for that 20% chance at McDavid. I don't spend too much time looking at draft projections, but ot looks like there are very good prospects who will help our team if we are as low as 6th or 7th. And if LA keeps up its end of the bargain, we should get quite a boost down the road from having 3 picks in the top 35 or 36.

It's like watching a roulette wheel. New lines and pairs for the Oil.

Michael Smith @MSmithCanes  ·  7h 7 hours ago

#Canes forward lines:

E. Staal-Rask-Lindholm

Gerbe-J. Staal-Nestrasil

Skinner-Nash-Semin

Malone-McClement-Dwyer

defensive pairs:

Hainsey-Faulk

Rissanen-Murphy

Liles-Jordan

Ward to get the start and Hillen probable out with upper body injury.

How long will these lines last? Place your bets.

Now that the deadline is past and we're obviously in full eval (tank?) mode, I'd like to see BP start every game and each period with the only consistent line we've had all season: The fourth line. And to make a big hairy deal about it in the press: "This is the only line that has really earned the right to start us off, and until another line shows me they can, this will be our starting unit."

Can we bring up LaRose now, please?  Even for just one game...on Thursday vs. Dallas?

No.

Can we bring up LaRose now, please?  Even for just one game...on Thursday vs. Dallas?

I'd love that more than you know. However, if they don't bring him up at least start Terry in Semin's place. Why play Semin on the 3rd line who hasn't been producing when you can get Terry valuable NHL experience? Semin has been a touch better lately but the season is over. If you're going to give Semin a "reset" rather than buy him out give the young guy the playing spot and see which Semin shows up to camp next year. If you're buying Semin out, playing him now makes even less sense. Go Canes!

I would like to see him come up too but I doubt it will happen,  Besides, Chad has been hurt the last few games, so he isn't even playing for the Checkers right now.  

Fairly sure Larose is out for several weeks.

I'd love that more than you know. However, if they don't bring him up at least start Terry in Semin's place. Why play Semin on the 3rd line who hasn't been producing when you can get Terry valuable NHL experience? Semin has been a touch better lately but the season is over. If you're going to give Semin a "reset" rather than buy him out give the young guy the playing spot and see which Semin shows up to camp next year. If you're buying Semin out, playing him now makes even less sense. Go Canes!

Edited by legend-1

If healthy, I could see them bringing up Chad for a home game in April so he can "retire" as a Cane and not a minor leaguer. Of course that is one less spot for one game to fit in a younger player to try out, but in spite of his flameout 2 years ago, Chad gave his heart and soul to this organization from 05-06 until 2 years ago. Besides, he would probably sell some tickets. I was at game today, and whatever number they list for attendance, based I guess on tickets sold, there were barely more than 5,000 butts in the seats. So anything to sell a ticket, or for that matter to get those with tickets to show up, would be good. So hopefully we see Rosey one more time.

Sorry to be all "technical" on you, bluedevilcane, but could not let the "little inaccuracy"slid. The game you and I saw must have been at different venues, cause the one I went to vs Edmonton had at least 10-12 thousand? Maybe you were just bolstering your argument for Larose?

Hillen not skating

Chip Alexander @ice_chip  ·  3m 3 minutes ago

Hillen is concussed, Peters says.

Too bad. I was enjoying watching Hillen. I have no idea if he will be in our future plans but for the few games he skated for us he looked responsible and strong enough. With Murphy back and the callup from Charlotte it does make room for evaluation of them.

Hillen not skating

Too bad. I was enjoying watching Hillen. I have no idea if he will be in our future plans but for the few games he skated for us he looked responsible and strong enough. With Murphy back and the callup from Charlotte it does make room for evaluation of them.

Since Hillen will be a UFA next season It would have been really nice to see a lot more of him. . .  

Sorry to be all "technical" on you, bluedevilcane, but could not let the "little inaccuracy"slid. The game you and I saw must have been at different venues, cause the one I went to vs Edmonton had at least 10-12 thousand? Maybe you were just bolstering your argument for Larose?

From yesterday's recap:

Attendance: 12,826 (68.5% full)

Here's some food for thought...after Ron Hainsey, Brett Bellemore is the oldest amongst the other starting D-Men plaing tonight at 26.  We've bemoaned a lack of defensive depth for years now...looks like we will get to see what that depth looks like front and center tonight.