The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014/15 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Well Rem, dont look now, but Murph is a total bust and my bet is he is no where to be found in next years line-up..  R.F. has a Mt. of issues to deal with and one is the big E. in the room.. And with tight purse strings, how do you go out and buy a first line??? Even if there was a miracle Defensive signing, where is the night in and night out first line coming from? Staals-Sems-Skins ???? not even close.... HELP WANTED 

Y'all aren't looking at the big picture re Murph, which is potential (and what BP has already had to say about him). He's a young D man (read: the worst-looking kind when asked to play at the NHL level before he's ready). Despite this, there is no question he can move the puck. Peters wanted him to lead a PP unit and my guess is he will continue to be groomed for that. 

Blaming Murphy, a 21-year-old, for what he lacks in NHL ability due to not having sufficient time to develop at the AHL level is equivalent, in an opposite sort of way, to NOT blaming Eric Staal for being as useless as tits on a bull.  

Edited by top-shelf-1

top, I'm not abjectly declaring Murphy a flat out "bust", nor do I sense that with anyone else's comments, but only that I am not witnessing what I think is progress. He definitely is young and very likely could have benefitted from at least 1 or 2 years more of AHL seasoning, but "it is what it is".

Now as far as Eric Staal is concerned, I'm also tired of searching for his elusive key unlocker.

top, I'm not abjectly declaring Murphy a flat out "bust", nor do I sense that with anyone else's comments, but only that I am not witnessing what I think is progress. He definitely is young and very likely could have benefitted from at least 1 or 2 years more of AHL seasoning, but "it is what it is".

Now as far as Eric Staal is concerned, I'm also tired of searching for his elusive key unlocker.

You are right, KJUN, you did not declare it, but a couple others have.

We were commenting at the game the other night that Murphy doesn't look to be improving from his last AHL callup.

Maybe development of players in Charlotte in general is not where it needs to be either. 

Edited by coastal_caniac

along with someone who can score consistently, some on ice leadership that leads by example, some puck moving and defensively minded defensemen, and a water boy that can cook it up.  About the only thing we don't need, and I am so scared this is going to backfire, is a goalie. 

I think we have more talent than heart.  Either way, having only one doesn't get you to the playoffs, many years in a row.

I hope I am wrong, but I think there is a very good chance that we have seen the last playoff game in NC that we will have the opportunity to see.

I hope I am wrong, but I think there is a very good chance that we have seen the last playoff game in NC that we will have the opportunity to see.

Nah.  Don't worry about it.  Waddell has a clear history of strengthening teams in the community they are in and setting down roots as to not be sold off.

Nah.  Don't worry about it.  Waddell has a clear history of strengthening teams in the community they are in and setting down roots as to not be sold off.

My fear exactly from the day PK hired him. And raising ticket prices by an outrageous amount on the back of a dismal season reinforces my fear. My ticket rep assured me the Canes have a lease on PNC through 2024 or thereabouts. BUT who has seen the lease? Is there an out if attendance falls below some threshold? We don't know. At least Waddell threw us 11 game flex plan holders a bone and gave us a voucher. Only sign I've seen recently that management is listening to the fans.

Re: Murphy, he may be too small or over his head, but he did make AHL All-Star team if that means anything. If he flops, put him with Boychuck and Phillipe Paradis. All 3 were in non-playoff years, meaning top 14 picks.

Murphy put a nice one in last night. He had around an assist a game in the AHL. He needs to elevate his game, but he is still young enough the hope is there. He's 21 (for a couple more days), he'd still be in College by age comparison.

Danny Biega is 23. Michal Jordan is 24. Chirs Terry is 25 (almost 26).

Murphy needs his game up a notch offensively and two notches defensively, but he is not a bust....yet.

Boychuk? Yes. Paradis? Yes, but JR did slight of hand that one into Tlusty.

Boychuk was #14, Murphy #12, but Paradise was #27 after our deep run in 2009. So NOT a playoff year and almost a second rounder.

If Murphy makes it, then Boychuk is really the only true bust since guys picked almost in the second round are far less than 50-50 on good NHL careers.

Points out the importance of good drafting, but also the advantage of every position up in the draft.

Guys we picked above #11: E Staal, J. Skinner, Jack Johnson, Andrew Ladd, Elias Lindholm, Hayen Fleury, Brandon Sutter

Guys we picked under #11: Phillipe Paradis, Zach Boychuk, Ryan Murphy

(yes #11 allowed me to slip Sutter onto the good list).

Also points out the price we paid giving up the #8 pick for J. Who would be just coming into his own now, as indeed the guy Pittsburgh picked, Derrick Pouliot is for them.

So the odds are very very good that the #5 pick ends up being an impact player. But this is a really deep draft, and if we get a mid first rounder and even that early second rounder, there is a good chance for both of those guys too.

Edited by remkin

With the signing of goaltender Alex Nedeljkovic and Defenseman Brett Pesce it looks to me like we are beginning to evaluate the Charlotte team and hopefully build a reliable farm team. Both are expected to play some AHL games before the end of the year.

Chip Alexander @ice_chip

GM Ron Francis also says defenseman Josh Wesley will go to the Checkers with Plymouth Whalers' OHL season completed

Yeah, Nedeljkovich isn't eligible to play in Charlotte next season.  I hope Altshuller gets more of a shot next season than he did with the Everblades this year.

The goalie stable is pretty full.

Is Wesley signed?  I don't think so.  I guess he can practice though.

Edited by coastal_caniac

That is a good question about Wesley. I don't know that he has but I'm still looking. None the less he is headed to Charlotte.

Yup, not signed,

he will practice with the Checkers

Chip Alexander @ice_chip  ·  5h 5 hours ago

Wesley, of course, is the son of former Canes star Glen Wesley and was drafted last year. He will practice with the Checkers, Francis said.

Not sure if this was posted elsewhere, but an interesting, perhaps bodes-well-for-the-future stat was posted on the video board last game: the Canes are the only team in the league where 4 of their top 5 scorers are age 23 or younger. (Of course, that could just mean that none of our veterans not named E Staal are playing worth a crap...)

Not sure if this was posted elsewhere, but an interesting, perhaps bodes-well-for-the-future stat was posted on the video board last game: the Canes are the only team in the league where 4 of their top 5 scorers are age 23 or younger. (Of course, that could just mean that none of our veterans not named E Staal are playing worth a crap...)

Which means a brighter future when albatross season starts next year.

My hope is albatross season opens Dec. 1. My other hope is that it is canceled due to a start so fast, so productive, that DNA testing is required to confirm it's really him.

But I'm not holding my breath.

Reports are that Joni Pitkanen is skating again.  Maybe we'll get some surprise help on the blueline from Finland.   Sure, it's a longshot, but IF the heel heals 100% (see what I did there? :P) who knows? He's only 31 with a couple years less NHL wear & tear on the body than other players that age.  Heck, right now we're icing Hainsey and Liles, both of whom are 34. Obviously he'd have to start over again with a try out contract, but given our state of affairs it's not out of the realm of possibility. 

I'd love to see Pits successfully make his way back into the NHL and we could sure use some help.

Edited by LakeLivin

He's going to have a very long road to play pro hockey of any sort for any country after his lengthy recovery. Carolina doesn't need to revert to old tactics of signing and praying.

Even then you have to consider he only had 2 good streaks of hockey here both ruined by injuries.

During the game vs. Pittsburgh the other night, a Penguins fan sitting behind us mused, "Hey, when are you guys going to take Jim Rutherford back? He's been awful and has re-made the team in the worst way."

I said, "Oh no, we're not getting him back. He's going to the Rangers next. Carolina's grand plan is for him to decimate the rest of the Metropolitan Division team-by-team..."

I'm trying to remind myself not to get sucked in. Not to like this group too much. There is no doubt we are playing well, no doubt the young players are starting to mature, no doubt we are a hungry hockey team trying to prove our worth and yet we have been here before, at least five times before, where we bought into the next year we should be good team scenario.

I don't want to like this group too much. I don't want Francis and company to like this group too much. I want, I hope, Francis and company will overlook our end of season surge and make the tough decisions moving forward. If J hadn't been hurt, if we had shopped for a J replacement maybe it would be different but honestly this group needs a few key pieces added. I have faith Francis will make the tough decisions but he still has to show me.

I'm trying to remind myself not to get sucked in. Not to like this group too much. There is no doubt we are playing well, no doubt the young players are starting to mature, no doubt we are a hungry hockey team trying to prove our worth and yet we have been here before, at least five times before, where we bought into the next year we should be good team scenario.

I don't want to like this group too much. I don't want Francis and company to like this group too much. I want, I hope, Francis and company will overlook our end of season surge and make the tough decisions moving forward. If J hadn't been hurt, if we had shopped for a J replacement maybe it would be different but honestly this group needs a few key pieces added. I have faith Francis will make the tough decisions but he still has to show me.

The one big difference factor that you didn't mention is Bill Peters as coach.  But I agree that the team needs a few key pieces added.  Some of us felt that way last summer and were frustrated by the organizations lack of action in the free agent market. 

As you say, Francis has some tough decisions coming up, mainly which pieces to move. Unfortunately I fear he will be limited as to his options by existing contracts and lower returns than we'd like due to the offseason some of our most likely trade prospects have had. 

The one big difference factor that you didn't mention is Bill Peters as coach.  But I agree that the team needs a few key pieces added.  Some of us felt that way last summer and were frustrated by the organizations lack of action in the free agent market. 

As you say, Francis has some tough decisions coming up, mainly which pieces to move. Unfortunately I fear he will be limited as to his options by existing contracts and lower returns than we'd like due to the offseason some of our most likely trade prospects have had. 

Peters is a difference going into this off-season but I'm not sure how much of an off-season difference he will be. I'm sure he will have important input into the process yet in the end this will Be Ron Francis who guides the team through the NHL minefield of cap space, free agency and trades. As important as the moves made for the Canes it will be just as important what he does at the Charlotte level

I like Peters and I like that for the first time in a while the players have seemed to buy into a system. My money is on Peters being around for a long time but I remind myself he is a rookie coach. No matter what he has done at the minor league level his success will only be gaged on what happens next season in Raleigh.  This season he got a bit of a pass because of injury, youth and new system implementation. There is a fine line between accountability and punishment. These players are pros, adults and as our youth mature I suspect the wielding of the Peters ice hammer will need to be tempered.

I don't think RF is so short-sighted as to base any decision on Bill Peters on next season.

This rebuild is going to take a few years, and I'm sure both parties knew that coming in.

I don't think RF is so short-sighted as to base any decision on Bill Peters on next season.

This rebuild is going to take a few years, and I'm sure both parties knew that coming in.

I wasn't implying that RF would base a decision only on Peters next season. I apologize if I wasn't clear. What I'm saying is Peters seems to be the right choice but at the same time he is still unproven. Why next season IMO is important for Peters is that if there is no great improvement over this year  he will become an increasing a target for criticism among fans and players.

I know most everyone likes Peters on this board, I do too. But the proof is in the pudding. At the very least this team needs to challenge for a playoff spot next season. A rebuild needs to show progress not just possibility.