The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014/15 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

First, birds don't have beaks.  The correct morphological term is bill or rostrum.

This is unacceptable.

:hockey:

So what does have beaks?  Certain turtles?

Edited by LakeLivin

So what does have beaks?

Nikolai Kulemin

(I wonder who will make the connection)

Edited by super_dave_1

I'm guilty in both instances (scientist,stats guy).

What exactly did you have an issue with? 

I thought the dataset he pulled was a much better approach to interpretation of the value of draft picks than what Remkin tried to pull off  above (no offense intended) using all draftees from 2005-present, which ignored the fact the word is not out on many with existing ELC's, or college UFA's, etc.

Well, he makes what seems to me to be a somewhat arbitrary definition of "success" based on number of NHL games played and uses that to define probablility of success (POS, no pun intended :P). Then he calculates the average production (points/ game played) for each draft position and multiplies it by POS to get a value.  I'm not saying any of that is wrong. But he's got the raw data.  Wouldn't you get a more direct measure if you normalized actual points for each player across draft positions for each year and use that to calculate a stat that compares the value of different positions?  And less arbitrary, since you're using only actual data without introducing the "success factor"?  Seems like the "success factor" would be built into the numbers rather than arbitrarily defined. 

Not 100% on this, it's still a bit fuzzy in my mind.  But the latter just seems like it would yield a more precise picture than what the author did . . .

Edited by LakeLivin

Simply using games played at the NHL level as the barometer of success, gives you Jamie McBain as a successful pick having played 301 games at the NHL level. Take that with a grain of salt.

Interesting article over on tsn.ca about multi-shot shifts. Take a look at the excerpt below. Don'tknow how much stock to put into it, but at least it's written by an unbiased 3rd party. Could those results be a direct reflection of a Bill Peters effect?    

http://www.tsn.ca/hurricanes-preds-excel-in-multi-shot-shifts-1.245386

"Yes – you’re reading that properly. No team in the East has come close to generating the same number of multi-shot shifts as the Carolina Hurricanes, and because they’ve been respectable on the defensive end, they easily carry the best conference differential. This matches up with what we have witnessed over the last few months in Carolina at the team level – skyrocketing possession numbers, and the definition of a ‘spoiler’ team that can wreak havoc on a playoff hopeful down the stretch. They are, perhaps more than any other team in the league, the one to watch as a potential rebound candidate in the 2015-2016 season."

He is a 19 year old  6'1"  195lb D-man drafted by the Kings in the 2nd round at the 2014 draft

Squid have beaks, I think.

I think he has a lot of upside. He was the #2 pick after McDavid in the Junior draft, and was at one point slated as a top 10 draft pick, and even on draft day was pegged by many as a first rounder. LA, who has been pretty good at drafting later rounds, traded a decent prospect to move up and pick him. His numbers tailed off this year, not sure why. Probably what made him available for the trade, but he is a very young dman, who has lots of potential, certainly could develop into a top 4 dman.

So what does have beaks?  Certain turtles?

David Marcoux

Finally!  I've been waiting all season for someone to mention Marcoux's schnozz.  I didn't want to be the first one, lol.  That thing is amazing!  It actually looks like a prosthetic device that might be worn by an actor in the play Cyrano de Bergerac. 

Having said that, what a great addition to the Canes staff (the man, not the nose). ;)

Edited by LakeLivin

Nikolai Kulemin

(I wonder who will make the connection)

Leafs announcer following a replay of an "altercation" between Gleason and Kulemin:  "Yeah, Gleason got him right on the beak".

That's a classic Gleason only surpassed by the famous "fish bowl incident".

LOL, what did I win?

Edited by coastal_caniac

Leafs announcer following a replay of an "altercation" between Gleason and Kulemin:  "Yeah, Gleason got him right on the beak".

That's a classic Gleason only surpassed by the famous "fish bowl incident".

LOL, what did I win?

30 second mark

I'll see if I can't scrounge up an Alex Semin bobblehead.

Honestly, this is one of my all time favorite Canes moments (non Stanley Cup).  The "fish bowl incident" is up there and so is Scotty Walker's OT game winner against Boston in the 09 playoffs.  Not to be forgotten is Scotty Walker dropping AWard.

Edited by super_dave_1

The funny part of that incident is at the :51 second mark.  Hilarious.  Check it out.

Oh, and thanks but I have a Semin bobblehead.  Mine is scratched though.  Get it?

Also, I never thought my beak comment would get so much mileage.  Good stuff. 

Edited by coastal_caniac

Love the Semin joke. Pretty good.

Why are Semin bobbleheads in low demand?

They're frequently scratched.

You should submit that to a hockey joke book.

Thanks Rem, it's the time of year to just try to loosen up a touch, considering.  It is what it is.

Oh, and my Semin bobblehead is literally scratched.  A couple of months ago I removed it to 10 ft from the other 22 or so bobblehead team in my collection.  I miss bobblehead nights.  Thanks Don. 

Also, I stumbled upon this from HockeyBuzz.  It's not CapGeek but it's another cap info source.  It looks like CapGeek anyway:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=CAR

Edited by coastal_caniac

Finally!  I've been waiting all season for someone to mention Marcoux's schnozz.  I didn't want to be the first one, lol.  That thing is amazing!  It actually looks like a prosthetic device that might be worn by an actor in the play Cyrano de Bergerac.

:rofl:

......and I've been waiting all year to say something about it.

The only CapGeek alternate I've seen so far that lists actual yearly salary as well as yearly cap hit is:

http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams/CAR?year=2015

I do miss CapGeek :(.  I wonder if Wuest's widow will sell the site at some point?  It's got to be worth quite a bit . . .

The site I linked to shows annual cap hit and salary.  Maybe you missed the box you click on the upper left to toggle between cap hit and salary.

This is what you got if you clicked on the link for the Condors wallpaper yesterday:

gif.gif

I don't think you can fully "appreciate" the "new" logo untill you comare it to their actual one:

condors.jpg

Edited by LakeLivin

That makes sense. It was pretty funny though. Still think a pair of eyebrows would seal the deal.

Guys, I know this subject surfaces from time to time, but I'm still ignorant as to a source to check it out, so would someone help? There is an upper limit to the number of contracts an organization can carry, and I recently saw that the Canes were somewhere close to that limit. Thus, with the recent announced signings of at least 4 new players, Tirronen, Nedeljkovic, Pesce and McKeowan, could someone tell me how many that makes?

Next, is that number limit of contracts for the entire year, or is it waived during playoffs, similar to the number of players a team can have increasing to 23 during playoffs?

Finally, what happens if a team exceeds what I believe the max number of contracts to be at 50? Are we fined, lose draft picks or what measure is taken to reprimand a team going over the limit?

Yup each club is allowed 50 pro contracts. Since every contract goes through the league, it doesn't look like a club can exceed that number and is the max a club is allowed at any given time.  

The max on a Club's playing roster is 23 players at any one time from the commencement of the NHL regular season through the trade deadline.  Each club must have a roster of at least 20 players, composed of 18 skaters and two goaltenders. Players on Injured Reserve do not count in the 23-man limit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHL_salary_cap#Contracts_and_contract_limits

A team may not have more than 50 players under contract at any point during the season. This limit includes players on injured reserve or long-term injured reserve.

• Exception: An 18- or 19-year-old player with remaining major junior eligibility, or a player who is drafted from a European team who is then selected in the CHL Import Draft, does not count toward the contract limit until he has played at least 11 NHL games, if the player is assigned to his major-junior team only.
  • A team may not have more than 90 players on its reserve lists at any one time during a season. The reserve list includes players under contract, unsigned draft picks who have collegiate or major junior eligibility remaining, and all unsigned draft picks who have been drafted by a team within the last two league years. NHL teams retain exclusive rights to draft picks for two years after a player is drafted, or until NCAA or major junior eligibility has been exhausted.
Edited by LakeLivin

The NHL site states the following:

The list of players "belonging" to an NHL team is comprised of the following, the total of which may not exceed 80:

1. Pro players (maximum of 50)
  2. Signed junior players (who have played less than 11 professional games)
  3. Unsigned draft choices
  4. Defected players (unsigned draft choices who are playing in Europe)

Sounds like the bottom line for kjun was a concern that we may be nearing the ceiling on number of contracts.  Because of the "juniors" clause, seems like that's not an issue.  I think the real question going forward next season will be how much $$ PK is going to allow Francis to spend on UFAs.