The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014/15 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Brody Sutter is huge.  On skates, up close, I was like man, that guy is big.  Has some sandpaper to his game, so that's good. 

One game at a time.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Stats of the Day:

The Canes lead the league in face off percentage.

The Canes are third in the league in PP%.

From there it goes downhill.....but little things to point out.

Edited by coastal_caniac

i saw before the game started, we were hitting 44 percent on PP... crazy... Just watched  Mac on nhl network, doubt  staal would  waive no trade clause, really likes  Peters and Carolina.. This team with the  young kids, have shown more hunger than  team in the past   few years..Nice to see.. Nash is  really coming into his own, as mentioned.. And Cam, contrary to what some may say, only let in that one bad goal by Mitchell.. imo .Well, i am out of prediction buisness on games, , but will only say, need to hold water while out on the rugged waters.

I don't think that Eric is going anywhere. I see a lot here of "if this team is way back at the deadline, then we'll be selling off the Staals, Semins, Wards,etc" but how is that going to work? Most of these guys have no movement clauses, and Eric especially seems like he doesn't want to go anywhere else. Jordan just signed a 10(!) year deal here, and not long ago Eric was talking about what it might take to get Marc to come to the Canes as well

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/599887

What are the odds that he convinces all his brothers to play for this team and then spoils the reunion himself by leaving? Not that likely. While most hockey minds seemed to write us off before the year even began, Eric hasn't bought into that and still wants to be a part of a competing team here. And who's to say he is wrong, none of us have seen this team at full strength yet.

But there is a lot of year left, and as Law-Dawg posted if things really go down hill, Toronto may be a place he's willing to go to. Maybe in a perfect world he nets us Bozak, Gardiner, a 1st liner, convinces Marc to sign here this off season anyways, then comes back himself in 2 years time (at a reduced rate from 8.25 of course). Things never work out that well though do they?  ;)

I'll make you a friendly bet: If the Canes are not in the playoff mix by the deadline, Eric is on the table. If Darren Drager is right (and he is seldom wrong) E has said Toronto is one place he might wave his no-trade clause to go to. And if the Canes can get value for a 30-year-old #1 center who still makes every face-off an adventure and never sharpens his skates (circles dull the edges more slowly than quick stops and starts) Ronnie will gladly do it.

I'll make you a friendly bet: If the Canes are not in the playoff mix by the deadline, Eric is on the table. If Darren Drager is right (and he is seldom wrong) E has said Toronto is one place he might wave his no-trade clause to go to. And if the Canes can get value for a 30-year-old #1 center who still makes every face-off an adventure and never sharpens his skates (circles dull the edges more slowly than quick stops and starts) Ronnie will gladly do it.

I hope that there isn't too much on the table, because I will probably lose that bet. I have no doubts that Eric would be on the table, as well as quite a few other veterans if that were the scenario. Same case as this offseason where we were listening to all offers. But Staal and the others will have to put a better year together to up their value more to the other 29 teams, and Toronto will have to be in a solid playoff position where they feel Staal puts them over the top. If they're out of the postseason race as well, I think the deal disappears. 

Your absolutely right with Dreger's usual accuracy and the fact that Toronto is a place Eric may be willing to waive to. However I think there's quite a few things that may have to fall into place, and that coupled with the way Eric likes Carolina and talks of the possibility of his brother Marc coming here as well, there's just too many ifs in this scenario to make me believe there's a strong chance of the deal actually happening. Now that doesn't mean I've written it off as impossible or that I wouldn't be open to entertaining offers, it's always a good thing to look and try to find ways to improve the team. There's a lot of the season left to go and we'll have to see how it plays out.

I tell ya, a certain  hockey board has  a huge thread on  Eric   going, and     putting Jordan with him..[just chatting]. None of these deals will probaly happen, but except for some  egos at times, these  guys know  their hockey.. Any idea on when  Eric is coming back, , and yes, sekera is a beast.. love the guy!

It just doesn't make sense to me to talk about trading E at this point in time. I suppose anything can happen and you can't rule out some kind of move later in the season...but really 3 games in. Those who seem to know some insider stuff are saying Toronto and Carolina haven't had any trade talks since the off-season. J can't be traded until he is off the Injured list and thats 3-4 months away.

This trade Staal(s) talk just doesn't make any sense to me at the moment.

I hope that there isn't too much on the table, because I will probably lose that bet. I have no doubts that Eric would be on the table, as well as quite a few other veterans if that were the scenario. Same case as this offseason where we were listening to all offers. But Staal and the others will have to put a better year together to up their value more to the other 29 teams, and Toronto will have to be in a solid playoff position where they feel Staal puts them over the top. If they're out of the postseason race as well, I think the deal disappears. 

Your absolutely right with Dreger's usual accuracy and the fact that Toronto is a place Eric may be willing to waive to. However I think there's quite a few things that may have to fall into place, and that coupled with the way Eric likes Carolina and talks of the possibility of his brother Marc coming here as well, there's just too many ifs in this scenario to make me believe there's a strong chance of the deal actually happening. Now that doesn't mean I've written it off as impossible or that I wouldn't be open to entertaining offers, it's always a good thing to look and try to find ways to improve the team. There's a lot of the season left to go and we'll have to see how it plays out.

I agree with everything you say, and continue to hope Eric becomes the Eric that JR thought Eric could be, because when it happens it will be a win-win for everybody, whether he stays or goes. We've invested too much for it not to work out.

That said, being a PPG guy on a team that doesn't go to the year-end dance means most of your points were meaningless, as opposed to game-changers. I want to see the Eric that JR thought Eric would be, the one that can singlehandedly take over a game like his peers who are making the same coin (Ovi, Toews, etc.). Up to now on this contract term, that Eric's appearances have been only slightly less rare than hen's teeth - and if Bill Peters cannot get that Eric to show up, I'm doubtful any coach can. 

It just doesn't make sense to me to talk about trading E at this point in time. I suppose anything can happen and you can't rule out some kind of move later in the season...but really 3 games in. Those who seem to know some insider stuff are saying Toronto and Carolina haven't had any trade talks since the off-season. J can't be traded until he is off the Injured list and thats 3-4 months away.

This trade Staal(s) talk just doesn't make any sense to me at the moment.

Agree 100 percent. The best thing for this team and for Eric is for him to be successful.

E and J not going anywhere before trade deadline.  If they absoulutely stink all year and we are sitting in last place than maybe. And E. has 2points in 2 games, can't call it a slow start yet. Let the dude show what who he's gonna be for the Canes for a couple months.

It's early but nice to look at stats and see Terry, 2g 1a 3gms, Nash 1g 2a 3gms, Boychuck 1g 1a 1gm, and E. 1g 1a 2gms.

It that trend continues, well one could only dream.

I have a feeling the slow start is not a reflection of how this season is going to go.  The wins are gonna start coming once the goal tending solidifys and we get Skinner and E. back.  Especially if we are getting secondary scoring from names above.  I have no idea why I'm feeling positive today, coffe is strong or something.

Well CBS sports is also running a story on their website about E. to Toronto.

It's just more based on the Dregger quote.

www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/24753444/nhl-rumors-if-eric-staal-is-available-maple-leafs-will-be-interested

It meantions some possible return.

What caught me was the phrases that Toronto would offer "huge" return. And the "asking price would be "enormous".

Dregger is partly used as a conduit by GM's. This tells me that Toronto's GM is putting it out there that he if quite interested in E. AND he is not looking to steal him, quite. He does want to get him before his value goes higher though.

Dregger specifically meantioned:

1. A first round pick.

2. Tyler Bozak or Nazem Kadri (to give us a center back).

3. Jake Gardiner.

One never knows, but Toronto is not currently seen as a top tier team. If they end up near the bottom, that pick in this deepest of drafts...if we fall out of it, we want picks in next year's draft.

I am not saying to pull the trigger. Not at all. Further, E. needs to be behind the idea, which I doubt he is right now.

But, as others and I have mentioned, if this team stuggles bad....this is one of the best drafts in history, and a pretty smart time to accumulate draft picks, especially first rounders, and especially from bottom dwelling teams.

Now on that point, another reason to wait, not only to drive E's value up, but to see what teams might have a juicier draft pick to throw intot the deal.

But it is pretty obvious that Toronto wants to grab him before his price goes up.

Edited by remkin

Nice piece in the N&O regarding Boychuck and Peters.

“It’s tough, really disappointing,” Boychuk said. “You try to talk it out with your family and friends, but it’s really disappointing.”

But Boychuk, the Canes’ first-round draft pick in 2008, said he had a long, meaningful discussion with Peters before leaving. It lasted about 25 minutes, Boychuk said, or about 20 minutes longer than the going-to-Charlotte conversations he had with other Canes coaches.

“He went through every year of my junior career,” Boychuk said. “He wanted to know my linemates, how many points I had, what my starts were like. He wanted to go through my pro career, every year.

“He was jotting down notes. He wanted to call my junior coach. He thought I was a little bit of a slow starter in training camp and it was something he wanted to work with me on.”

This my friends is a quality coach!!

Nice stuff slapshot.

More and more obvious that Peters waters run deep. Put that together with no nonsense but fair leadership....

It sure does look like we got a good one!

Nice piece in the N&O regarding Boychuck and Peters.

“It’s tough, really disappointing,” Boychuk said. “You try to talk it out with your family and friends, but it’s really disappointing.”

But Boychuk, the Canes’ first-round draft pick in 2008, said he had a long, meaningful discussion with Peters before leaving. It lasted about 25 minutes, Boychuk said, or about 20 minutes longer than the going-to-Charlotte conversations he had with other Canes coaches.

“He went through every year of my junior career,” Boychuk said. “He wanted to know my linemates, how many points I had, what my starts were like. He wanted to go through my pro career, every year.

“He was jotting down notes. He wanted to call my junior coach. He thought I was a little bit of a slow starter in training camp and it was something he wanted to work with me on.”

This my friends is a quality coach!!

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/10/15/4236377_canes-boychuk-terry-help-make.html?sp=/99/103/&rh=1#storylink=cpy

I think I teared up a little when I read the article. I'm not emotional. Great stuff Slapshot, thank you for posting it. Seems as tho, Peters cares for the player and the career for the player and wants that player to succeed. I know if I was a young guy on this roster, I would be doing all I could for this coach. He is a perfect match for everything Canes hockey should be and stand for. Ron was very right in making this hire. Peters might far and away be my favorite coach since Hartford moved to Raleigh. I'm glad we have him here to represent Carolina. Edited by shauniac79

Patience.

I don't mean that sarcastically, either.  So far, the way RF and Peters are playing things out, we need to stick with them for a while.  This is  a process.

I don't know what JR was drinking, but he was shooting from the hip and got this team in deep.

I like what I'm seeing from the organization and hope I can keep my patience.  I just don't want to hear it from PK.  Not sure why, it is just sand in my gears.

Patience.

I don't mean that sarcastically, either. So far, the way RF and Peters are playing things out, we need to stick with them for a while. This is a process.

I don't know what JR was drinking, but he was shooting from the hip and got this team in deep.

I like what I'm seeing from the organization and hope I can keep my patience. I just don't want to hear it from PK. Not sure why, it is just sand in my gears.

IMO it would be in PKs best interest to stay away from the team and the media and let RF and BP do the jobs he hires them for. I think we are in good hands with Ron F.at the helm. He has already hired a great coach and seems to have a vision for this team. More so than JR ever did. I'm glad to see the young guys getting called up and put in a position to stay here. I personally was getting tired of JRs "little" fixes by paying veteran players to come in and steal ice time from young players. The outcome was the same, failure. I have been hoping for the youth movement to come full circle even if it means sacrificing what Charlotte is trying to do. I think the talent is there, BP just has to channel it.

I think I reared up a little when I read the article. I'm not emotional. Great stuff Slapshot, thank you for posting it. Seems as tho, Peters cares for the player and the career for the player and wants that player to succeed. I know if I was a young guy on this roster, I would be doing all I could for this coach. He is a perfect match for everything Canes hockey should be and stand for. Ron was very right in making this hire. Peters might far and away be my favorite coach since Hartford moved to Raleigh. I'm glad we have him here to represent Carolina.

This is a prime example on how a coach earns respect from his players.

Patience.

I don't mean that sarcastically, either.  So far, the way RF and Peters are playing things out, we need to stick with them for a while.  This is  a process.

I like what I'm seeing from the organization and hope I can keep my patience.  I just don't want to hear it from PK.  Not sure why, it is just sand in my gears.

Yep, PK just gets on my last nerve. I have no problem with the rest of the organization and the path that RF and BP are on. PK's famous interview late last year is what put me over the edge.

IMO it would be in PKs best interest to stay away from the team and the media and let RF and BP do the jobs he hires them for. I think we are in good hands with Ron F.at the helm. He has already hired a great coach and seems to have a vision for this team. More so than JR ever did. I'm glad to see the young guys getting called up and put in a position to stay here. I personally was getting tired of JRs "little" fixes by paying veteran players to come in and steal ice time from young players. The outcome was the same, failure. I have been hoping for the youth movement to come full circle even if it means sacrificing what Charlotte is trying to do. I think the talent is there, BP just has to channel it.

But you know what?  Even if there is "sacrifice" at Charlotte, I'm also hoping that this flows back to that organization and pays back the sacrifice.  Experience and true teamwork at this level can only be a benefit to the player and organizations..  The previous method of "emergency only until I sign some vet from a waiver wire" wasn't good for either the Canes or the Checkers or the depth players.

Now, BP and RF are calling guys up with purpose.  Yes, it is to fill in for an injury, but it is different this time.  They play in correctly slotted positions.  They become part of the team, etc.

We saw this from Detroit and look where it got them.  BP is bringing some of that.  I'm loving it right now.

But you know what? Even if there is "sacrifice" at Charlotte, I'm also hoping that this flows back to that organization and pays back the sacrifice. Experience and true teamwork at this level can only be a benefit to the player and organizations.. The previous method of "emergency only until I sign some vet from a waiver wire" wasn't good for either the Canes or the Checkers or the depth players.

Now, BP and RF are calling guys up with purpose. Yes, it is to fill in for an injury, but it is different this time. They play in correctly slotted positions. They become part of the team, etc.

We saw this from Detroit and look where it got them. BP is bringing some of that. I'm loving it right now.

Exactly! I actually meant to mention that players who have been called up have been playing correct positions and benefiting from it. Smart coaches know where to slot players and we are seeing it from BP. Just the energy from the young guys has been great. Terry and Boychuk were just elated the other night when they tied the game up. That's great to see! As a diehard fan, I'm enjoying watching the growth of our teams youth. Even thru the losses. With time, this team will progress and become great. I'm willing to wait. Just glad to have NHL hockey in my hometown with such class running it.

Hey canes fans , im a leafs fan here that wanted to find out more about the team

i had a question for you hurricanes fans

what would you want back in an eric staal deal?

i was thinking a mobile defensman franson or gardiner +

a good defensive defensman prospect like loov or granberg ( ceiling for granberg would be a good top 6 and for loov i`d say top 4 , hes really underrated , fast but big and physical , also not bad with the puck ) +

a good bottom 6 player, we`d give up someone like carter ashton ( former first round pick , ahl scoring phenom, just hasnt gotten the shot at the nhl level to see what he can do) +

bozak?

and maybe like a 2nd and a third something like that

for eric staal and 2-3m of cap retained?

Maybe im just a delusional leafs fan , but just wanted to put it out there and would appreciate some feedback

thanks guys , on behalf of

- Leafs Nation

Most of us are not ready to trade Eric yet. Some have been for a long while.

In my earlier post Dregger suggested something like your first rounder, Kadri and Gardiner.

Personally I think a returning center that could be put on a top line without laughing out loud and your first pick would be givens, the the pot would need to be sweetened from there. We could surely use a solid young Dman, so Gardiner makes sense.

Doubt very much that Francis is interested in that trade right now. Francis and Eric had a series of talks. The gist of it is speculated, by me, to be "We're going to give you and Jordan one more shot. Show us. If by X time (read trade deadline) it is not working, we will need to make a change." If true then a trade now would be premature.

Further, some of us, myself included, think E will return closer to his lock out form of two years ago, and will either remain a key part of the future or have even higher trade value down the line.

Nice to know you want him though.

Hey canes fans , im a leafs fan here that wanted to find out more about the team

a good defensive defensman prospect like loov or granberg ( ceiling for granberg would be a good top 6 and for loov i`d say top 4 , hes really underrated , fast but big and physical , also not bad with the puck ) +

a good bottom 6 player, we`d give up someone like carter ashton ( former first round pick , ahl scoring phenom, just hasnt gotten the shot at the nhl level to see what he can do) +

bozak?

Maybe im just a delusional leafs fan , but just wanted to put it out there and would appreciate some feedback

- Leafs Nation

Irrespective of all the rest, I don't see the Canes retaining any salary.  I think Karmanos is trying to go in the other direction.

bozak?

- Leafs Nation

I don't think your question can be answered now, and I don't think it'll ever be answered by any of us. At least not accurately (no disrespected to my fellow Caniacs intended).

With that caveat in place, I believe IF a deal were to get done, we'd insist at the very least on a first-round pick plus Kadri plus either Gardiner or cash.

But let's look at it from the Leaf's perspective: Why would I do that deal? And then, let's ask ourselves how ANY deal for Staal would even happen.

Let's say the Leafs are in or near the last playoff spot at the trade deadline, and Eric has absolutely played out of his mind all season. If I'm Shanny, my decision about whether to seek him is based on one of two hopes: (1) That your current roster plays inspired hockey down the stretch (and they certainly have the incentive, given their collapse last year) and get in (so, no trade). Or (2) That you make a trade in hopes of avoiding a repeat melt-down and sneak into the playoffs. That trade requires you give up a number-one pick in what, as another respondent to your post has pointed out, will be the deepest NHL draft in a generation, maybe in history. AND a young star. AND cash (if we decide we're okay on D) or Gardiner.

Now picture Shanny asking himself: I'm going to give up all that for a 30-year-old underachiever (in comparison to the others in the league making the same kind of salary)? And I'm going to do it on the HOPE that a change of scene will inspire that ONE player enough for him to be the difference maker that carries my team to - what?

I'll tell you what: Certain annihilation by whatever Western Conference team makes the Final (as surely as the 'Canes would face the same fate) - and that's ASSUMING the Leafs even got to the Final!

Now let's look at it from the 'Canes' perspective, and we'll assume we're on the bubble too (just for poops and hardy-har-hars). We haven't made the dance since '09, Eric is playing out of his mind, and regardless if we get in or not, he has shown he can turn it on again, meaning he will still be marketable in the off-season. Why would we give him up at that point, potentially losing the income from a playoff berth and souring fans who wear his sweater to every game and would like nothing better than to see him succeed again here? There would have to be some very compelling rea$on$, far more compelling that those I floated above. Meaning Shanny would be nuts to give away the farm for a guy who is getting long in the tooth.

And what if Eric doesn't have a good first half? A deal for him on that basis - still expensive from the Leafs side - makes Shanny look even sillier.

Call me jaded, but both our teams are playing in what is essentially the Junior Circuit of hockey right now, a.k.a. the Eastern Conference. Because the coming draft is so talent-rich, it potentially brings back some parity between the conferences. Thinking about it that way, why would ANY Eastern team with high picks give them up for Eric Staal? I just don't see it, and, unless it's a deal at the deadline to a Cup contender, I don't see Eric waiving his NTC, particularly not to go West. 

I post a lot here about my disappointment in Eric. The above elaborates on why, but it's really not on Eric. Rutherford overvalued him and signed him, while still Cup-drunk, to a deal based a belief that Eric had Ovi or Toews or Brown potential. He didn't then and he doesn't now. He's a natural winger who insists on playing center, but who won't go to the front of the net because he lacks the physical strength to hold that real estate. He's (until very recently) an "iron man" player who, like Garry Unger in a bygone era, played in every game not because he is physically tough, but because he never got injured due to never going to the places successful centers must go to win hockey games, the same places where you get banged up. And for JR's overvaluation of Staal, we're stuck holding a bag of rapidly-disappearing money. 

Could someone explain to me how can NHL club get rid off players before their contract expire? Is it needed to find another club who is willing to pay as much as is written in their contracts? Or are there other options?