The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014/15 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Could someone explain to me how can NHL club get rid off players before their contract expire? Is it needed to find another club who is willing to pay as much as is written in their contracts? Or are there other options?

Eithrial: you can trade a player to another team.  The contract is transferred, so the new team gets the same terms as the old team.   They pay the same amount to the player.  However, there are certain capabilities to "retain salary" meaning the old team pays a partial amount of the contract and the new team pays the other part.

There is also a process called "waiver" where a team can send a player to the minor leagues.  Those rules are complex.  In some cases, a new team can "grab" a player on waivers.  Waivers is a subject unto itself.

Finally, there is a process called "buyout" whereby a team can pay the player to "go away".  Those rules are complex too.  Sometimes the player gets all the pay, sometimes part.

These rules change with each new CBA (agreement between  the union and the league).      I also didn't delve into something called "salary cap numbers".  That's even more complex.  There is the number the team pays a player, and the number they report to the league.  It can get complicated -- especially regarding "buy outs".  

Edited by wxray1

Could someone explain to me how can NHL club get rid off players before their contract expire? Is it needed to find another club who is willing to pay as much as is written in their contracts? Or are there other options?

You can trade a player to another club in exchange for players,prospects or draft choices. The contract goes with the player

You can trade as above but retain a portion of the players contract. The new club would only be responsible to pay the agreed upon amount and the original team would be responsible for the remainder.

You can buy out a players contract but the team is still responsible for a portion of the contract and the player is free to sign with another team.

You could waive a player and if another team picks them up they also pick up the contract but you get nothing in return

I'm not an expert but that is some of the ways you can move a player and his contract to another team.

Thanks for answers. I have another question in return :)

How it looks with waivers:

As far as I know, at least in case of some players, in contract is laid down how much player earns on NHL level, and different amount for AHL level. Does it look the same for better players? For instance, can Blackhawks decide to send Towes to their corresponding AHL team, or in case of some players there are special additional regulations?

I don't think your question can be answered now, and I don't think it'll ever be answered by any of us. At least not accurately (no disrespected to my fellow Caniacs intended).

With that caveat in place, I believe IF a deal were to get done, we'd insist at the very least on a first-round pick plus Kadri plus either Gardiner or cash.

But let's look at it from the Leaf's perspective: Why would I do that deal? And then, let's ask ourselves how ANY deal for Staal would even happen.

Let's say the Leafs are in or near the last playoff spot at the trade deadline, and Eric has absolutely played out of his mind all season. If I'm Shanny, my decision about whether to seek him is based on one of two hopes: (1) That your current roster plays inspired hockey down the stretch (and they certainly have the incentive, given their collapse last year) and get in (so, no trade). Or (2) That you make a trade in hopes of avoiding a repeat melt-down and sneak into the playoffs. That trade requires you give up a number-one pick in what, as another respondent to your post has pointed out, will be the deepest NHL draft in a generation, maybe in history. AND a young star. AND cash (if we decide we're okay on D) or Gardiner.

Now picture Shanny asking himself: I'm going to give up all that for a 30-year-old underachiever (in comparison to the others in the league making the same kind of salary)? And I'm going to do it on the HOPE that a change of scene will inspire that ONE player enough for him to be the difference maker that carries my team to - what?

I'll tell you what: Certain annihilation by whatever Western Conference team makes the Final (as surely as the 'Canes would face the same fate) - and that's ASSUMING the Leafs even got to the Final!

Now let's look at it from the 'Canes' perspective, and we'll assume we're on the bubble too (just for poops and hardy-har-hars). We haven't made the dance since '09, Eric is playing out of his mind, and regardless if we get in or not, he has shown he can turn it on again, meaning he will still be marketable in the off-season. Why would we give him up at that point, potentially losing the income from a playoff berth and souring fans who wear his sweater to every game and would like nothing better than to see him succeed again here? There would have to be some very compelling rea$on$, far more compelling that those I floated above. Meaning Shanny would be nuts to give away the farm for a guy who is getting long in the tooth.

And what if Eric doesn't have a good first half? A deal for him on that basis - still expensive from the Leafs side - makes Shanny look even sillier.

Call me jaded, but both our teams are playing in what is essentially the Junior Circuit of hockey right now, a.k.a. the Eastern Conference. Because the coming draft is so talent-rich, it potentially brings back some parity between the conferences. Thinking about it that way, why would ANY Eastern team with high picks give them up for Eric Staal? I just don't see it, and, unless it's a deal at the deadline to a Cup contender, I don't see Eric waiving his NTC, particularly not to go West.

I post a lot here about my disappointment in Eric. The above elaborates on why, but it's really not on Eric. Rutherford overvalued him and signed him, while still Cup-drunk, to a deal based a belief that Eric had Ovi or Toews or Brown potential. He didn't then and he doesn't now. He's a natural winger who insists on playing center, but who won't go to the front of the net because he lacks the physical strength to hold that real estate. He's (until very recently) an "iron man" player who, like Garry Unger in a bygone era, played in every game not because he is physically tough, but because he never got injured due to never going to the places successful centers must go to win hockey games, the same places where you get banged up. And for JR's overvaluation of Staal, we're stuck holding a bag of rapidly-disappearing money.

In fairness, and I really don't mean this as disrespect to our Toronto fan, but they're the same team that gave up 3 1st rounders for Phil Kessel. I'd use that as a basis of seeing how much we can get for Staal.

And I can see your reasons why both teams wouldn't/shouldn't trade, but can see it the other way around. We diss on our team and their ability to draft well, but Toronto is 1 notch below us. They draft good solid players, but no all stars. And as bad as we as fans diss on Eric, but when was the last time Toronto can say they've had a better player than Eric? They're probably tired of drafting prospects and want to win now.

As to the original question on what it would take for a trade, I agree the trades fans come up with as opposed to reality can be a big difference. I would settle on Phaneuf and they're 1st rounder, which would probably be a mid 1st rounder.

Edited by PenaltyKiller17

Good gosh I just saw Sekera mentioned in a trade rumor. I guess if you get hurt in Carolina your on the block. lol

too bad for Toronto that they weren't working this deal when JR was here.  He would have probably given them Staal for future considerations based on his track record a few years before he left.  :sarcasmalert:

IF something happens, I think Semin would look good in blue so throw him in there just to fill up the box.

We would have to get two fowards that combine for 70plus points consistently every year in order to give up Staal. On top of that your best defenseman please or your number one pick. Staal does the majority of our scoring every year, without him we are in big troubled unless those 70plus points are guranteed to be covered in the return we get.

To be fair...  I don't think the team is in an all too terrible shape.  I haven't posted much but here are some things that I am noticing.

1. Our top 2 centers and best goal scorer is out.

2.  We're winning face offs.

3.  Our PP is Okish.

4. Our prospects are showing they can play a competitive game.

Guys.  This team is totally depleted with injuries and is not playing terrible.  The team is staying in games and not being totally blown away game after game.  Skinner appears to be back and that will help.  When Staal comes back it will help even more.  Depending on where this team stands come Christmas time and with Jordan's return we could actually see playoff hockey this season.

I may sound like a complete homer here.  But this team looks a lot better than last season and our most of our big guns are injured.  We are starting to realize that we have some depth.  Thoughts?

I don't think I have posted on here in over a week.  Once Eric went down I kind of lost interest in posting.  But overall, given our injuries...  I am happy with the play of the team.

Chip Alexander @ice_chip  ·  21m 21 minutes ago

EStaal, Dwyer, Gerbe, Liles not at practice.

Skinner to work on line with Rask, Lindholm in today's practice.

Brown, Sutter reassigned to Checkers.

Skinner is back. Thats the good news. Gerbe is now among the missing. Thats the bad news. We don't play until Tuesday so I expect that will sort itself out.

I don't think I have posted on here in over a week.  Once Eric went down I kind of lost interest in posting.  But overall, given our injuries...  I am happy with the play of the team.

Just having some fun with you bd (note the emoticon), as you do seem to go with the extremes of emotions at times.

Have to agree with you on Gleason, for the money, he's been better than I expected him to be, and he's bringing the grumpy Gleason of several years ago, a thing we could use more of given the circumstances.

Gleason has been great.  He wants to be here, he wants to win here, and he wants to protect his team.  He's taken some unnescessary penalties but I kind of liked them.  He's roughed a few people up after the whistle, feels good knowing someone cares and has some passion on this team and for his city.

My guess is Staal will be brought back slowly throughout the upcoming trip, i.e., PPs and, depending on how busy that keeps him maybe rotating in and out on a wing.

Taking a draw works the abs, both in terms of body position and strain in trying to win the puck, and with Nash and Rask just being lights out at the dot, putting a guy there with an injury that hampers his ability to win draws makes no sense. In just a couple of games we've seen the impact of owning the biscuit. Let Staal platoon on a wing with Semin, maybe two guys getting 16 million between them makes one winger :)

But seriously, until his hernia is fully healed, just take face-offs out of the equation totally. Heck, play him on the wing now so he's primed for it for when his brother gets back. Because if these kids keep dominating at the dots, it gets that much harder to justify Eric NOT playing wing to his bro and Semin.

Edited by top-shelf-1

My guess is Staal will be brought back slowly throughout the upcoming trip, i.e., PPs and, depending on how busy that keeps him maybe rotating in and out on a wing.

Taking a draw works the abs, both in terms of body position and strain in trying to win the puck, and with Nash and Rask just being lights out at the dot, putting a guy there with an injury that hampers his ability to win draws makes no sense. In just a couple of games we've seen the impact of owning the biscuit. Let Staal platoon on a wing with Semin, maybe two guys getting 16 million between them makes one winger :)

But seriously, until his hernia is fully healed, just take face-offs out of the equation totally. Heck, play him on the wing now so he's primed for it for when his brother gets back. Because if these kids keep dominating at the dots, it gets that much harder to justify Eric NOT playing wing to his bro and Semin.

Seeing as we're leading the NHL in faceoff % at the moment ,maybe not a bad idea.

To be fair...  I don't think the team is in an all too terrible shape.  I haven't posted much but here are some things that I am noticing.

1. Our top 2 centers and best goal scorer is out.

2.  We're winning face offs.

3.  Our PP is Okish.

4. Our prospects are showing they can play a competitive game.

Guys.  This team is totally depleted with injuries and is not playing terrible.  The team is staying in games and not being totally blown away game after game.  Skinner appears to be back and that will help.  When Staal comes back it will help even more.  Depending on where this team stands come Christmas time and with Jordan's return we could actually see playoff hockey this season.

I may sound like a complete homer here.  But this team looks a lot better than last season and our most of our big guns are injured.  We are starting to realize that we have some depth.  Thoughts?

BD- we've switched positions from a year ago.  Last year I was optimistic that the Canes would break through. I don't thinnk they did so because of Muller. This year I don't see it, in spite of my tremendous optimism towards Peters.  I just don't think mgmt has left the team with the horses to get it done.  Let me explain my thought process.

With J healthy I think we have more than enough horsepower on the top 2 lines and should be able to play with almost anyone in the league there.  Counting for the inevitable "normal" injuries (let alone for a long term one like Js).I still saw us as 1 talented forward short even before J got hurt.  With J out we're overslotting a center on the 2nd AND 3rd lines imo.  To be truly competitive I believe we need a 3rd line that's a threat, not just one that can hold down the fort.  I'd have loved to see Gerbe and Lindholm together on the 3rd line if we could have added one more legitimate top 6 forward.

As far as the "yutes" go, they've done well so far and bode well for the future.  But let's not overlook a couple of things.

• Our competition so far consists of the Isles (verdict not in yet, they may be for real this year), the Sabres (consensus worst team in the league, unless it's us), and a Rangers team that gave up 17 goals in the 3 games prior to playing us. 
  • The core of our yutes (Rask, Boychuk, and Terry) were the core of a Checkers team that didn't even make the AHL playoffs last year.  Not saying it's fair to blame that completely on them, but still . . .
  • They are yutes, so improvement is to be expected, but suddenly going from perennial AHLers/  rookie (none of whom anyone had on an NHL fast track) to good (not just satisfactory) top 3 line NHL players over the summer? Maybe 1, but all three?  Which is not to say that all couldn't achieve that level eventually, I just don't see it happening overnight. 

I'm not saying it's impossible for us to make the playoffs.  Dobby and Ward would have to be the top goalie tandem in the league (I don't see either being able to carry the team by himself over a full season).  The yutes would have to not only maintain but improve as we play better competition.  And we'd have to stay away from injuries, which would be a miracle in itself. 

Realistically, I predict the bottom line as being this:

• at "best" we compete for a playoff spot but fall short.
  • at "worst" we continue to see the bad luck we've experienced so far and are one of the teams in the McDavid/ Eichel bowl. 

Having said all that, I could (and hope to) be wrong.

Edited by LakeLivin

This is a gritty, play to the final whistle, i think it starts with Peters.. I love his presence, we will be in most games this year, and the young kids get valuable experience with the injuries...The board battles have been better,  other teams still trying for the home run through the middle, have to watch that... Dobby takes the lead for number one  goalie.

I am really optimistic. Even though we haven't won a game yet, we have stuck to it for the past three games. That's without Eric, Jordan, Skinner, Liles, basically one and two thirds without Sekera, etc. And we've stuck to it, thanks largely to the impact some of our young guys getting real ice time and playing for that ice time. Once Semin gets his legs going and Skinner gets back to game shape, I think we'll be a pretty good team. Getting all these injuries out now, and hopefully having a nice streak of good health to finish the season, we will have the potential to work our way into playoff contention. Really impressed with Terry, Rask. Nash is surprising me a bit too, but he needs to work on his passing in my opinion. Opts to shoot often when one of his wingers are wide open for a one timer in or around the slot. The defense has its lapses like always, but considering we are playing with Gleason back on our top pairing and Sekera out (hopefully not anymore) I think this team once healthy can do some significant things. We started the season at rock bottom with all these big guys out. The hardest part in my opinion is determining who gets scratched to bring back healthy bodies. In my opinion, Malone and Brown were the two guys I saw drawing the short end of the stick. Brown was sent down for Skinner to come in. Huge upgrade. Malone did impress me last game, he seems to be getting a bit faster and a bit more confident with the puck. He just needs to break the ice and pot one. I think Malone has a lot of potential, but if Boychuk and Terry continue playing so well together I still see Malone dropping down. Especially when Dwyer returns. 

Not to take a shot at Muller, but if we were this decimated under him I don't think the last three games would be nearly as well played - considering the circumstances - under him.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

I am really optimistic. Even though we haven't won a game yet, we have stuck to it for the past three games. That's without Eric, Jordan, Skinner, Liles, basically one and two thirds without Sekera, etc. And we've stuck to it, thanks largely to the impact some of our young guys getting real ice time and playing for that ice time. Once Semin gets his legs going and Skinner gets back to game shape, I think we'll be a pretty good team. Getting all these injuries out now, and hopefully having a nice streak of good health to finish the season, we will have the potential to work our way into playoff contention. Really impressed with Terry, Rask. Nash is surprising me a bit too, but he needs to work on his passing in my opinion. Opts to shoot often when one of his wingers are wide open for a one timer in or around the slot. The defense has its lapses like always, but considering we are playing with Gleason back on our top pairing and Sekera out (hopefully not anymore) I think this team once healthy can do some significant things. We started the season at rock bottom with all these big guys out. The hardest part in my opinion is determining who gets scratched to bring back healthy bodies. In my opinion, Malone and Brown were the two guys I saw drawing the short end of the stick. Brown was sent down for Skinner to come in. Huge upgrade. Malone did impress me last game, he seems to be getting a bit faster and a bit more confident with the puck. He just needs to break the ice and pot one. I think Malone has a lot of potential, but if Boychuk and Terry continue playing so well together I still see Malone dropping down. Especially when Dwyer returns. 

Not to take a shot at Muller, but if we were this decimated under him I don't think the last three games would be nearly as well played considering the circumstances under him.

I agree with most of this, Sucka. Nash didn't shoot enough last year (my opinion) and given Peters' dedication to putting pucks on net, his higher shot total may be at Peters' direction. I think he's a sneaky good passer, i.e., not flashy but looks for recipient who can do more with it. I think we'll see lots of secondary assists from him. 

I agree with most of this, Sucka. Nash didn't shoot enough last year (my opinion) and given Peters' dedication to putting pucks on net, his higher shot total may be at Peters' direction. I think he's a sneaky good passer, i.e., not flashy but looks for recipient who can do more with it. I think we'll see lots of secondary assists from him. 

You are most likely right TS1. I do like the idea of shooting anyways, and his IQ is pretty good and you see it with his  positioning, a real good trait to have at Center. I think he's more of a third line center at this point in his career, so the ice time could also factor into his performance at certain points in the game playing first/second line minutes. And your point about secondary assists was spot on, I do think when he does pass it, it's usually to begin a play or rush rather than finish it.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

Good points guys, and i see more grittiness along  boards, really fighting hard. Skinner and Staal back, and if Semin stops being [sleepy of the 7 dwarfs], we  can do some good things..Bellemore played better, and Geason seems to have picked it up... Like Rasks size, just need him to pot a  few in back of net.

Wow, so much optimism from everyone with an 0-2-2 start.  Interesting and unusual for this board.  I gotta say I agree though, you can tell we are working hard and have some good coaching.  We just need goaltending to be top notch and the young guns to keep scoring.  Then bring back the big guns from injuries and we could be ok even without J. Staal for a couple more months.