The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
carolina_kat

Random Thoughts....

Chantel Mccabe went from being a joke her first year,  to a pretty decent this year.   I think she really does her homework now and can not only pronounce names correctly, but also ask some decent questions.

Anyone else concerned that 30-40% of the suites are being filled?   I looks like a lot of the corporate sponsors that would filled the luxury suites have deserted.

What happened to Ric Flair when we scored or were on the power play?

Also, our video guy this year is horrible!!!   He is clueless on how to use video's to get the crowd pumped up.   Some reason he has increased the "fan cam" shots,  and when he does use a video it usually starts so late the crowd can not respond.   This new guy appears to have had zero experience, a 10 year old could do a better job.

Where are all the promotions this year?   With attendance at most games looking like crowds from a early preseason game,  you would think dropping bobblehead and other giveaway nights would not be a great idea.

Whose thinks having a Crazy Caniac contest each game is a good idea?   Get the three most annoying people in the arena,  and give a prize to the one that can annoy the people around him the most???

Really wish we had a good size,  active,  well-organized booster club.    I know we have one, but it really has never gotten much traction.   

How lucky are we to have the TV/Radio announcers we have.   Watched a couple of non-Carolina games on center ice and some of those announcers are horrible.   Our TV/Radio coverage of the games is as good as any.

Did we lose our organist?   Don't remember hearing him the last couple of games.

The best food at the PNC for the money has got to be the BBQ sandwich from the North Carolina BBQ stand.    Biggest rippoff has to be the $6.50 for Dipping dots.

Back to Chantel.....   we are 5-0-1,   post DUI suspension!

Here are a couple more thoughts

Why can't when the Hurricanes take the ice to start the game, we get something more than just playing Rock you like a Hurricane.    Maybe a fire extinguisher as they enter the ice?   

I like the interviews after the game,  but would like for the 3 stars to skate out more than 5 feet and then back.  Why can't they skate out to around center ice and then back?

I also am concerned about the attendance and the suite's.   I looks like only a handful of suite are occupied,  and the crowd attendance are like a Checkers game.

Chantel has really improved.  I do miss Ric Flair and I think you are right about the organist.

I also hate that crazy fan contest.   It is more like the biggest jerk contest.

I agree the pre-game entrance could and should be spiced up somehow.    So could the singing of the national anthem,  maybe get some guest singers sometime.   Maybe use a high school band once in awhile.   Having whatever her name is sing everytime just feels like we are going through the motions.

My random thought - Why can't they move the pregame Chantel/Shane show upstairs and have the background the arena, instead of out in the Concourse.    Everygame you get some clown standing behind them waving.   It looks very minor league'ish.    Have them up in the Lenovo area with their backs to the ice.

The organist is there for every game, but they only use him 1-2 times during each period if he is lucky. At least he plays for the half-hour walk-in experience, but then only to an almost empty arena. Guess the traditional hockey arena experience Waddell and Warf were pitching to the fans before the season started at the town hall meeting has gone by the wayside with less organ, more hip-hop music by a full-time DJ, new but same sponser spots, Ron and Amber minus Ron, same old guessing contests by a different name (we move around trucks now instead of people into empty houses), fan cams instead of kiss cams, and now we have that crazy caniac crap to contend with. By the looks of it, they fired the old Canes Vision guys running the show cause management wanted to go in a different direction.  Smoke and mirrors, my friends. Maybe we should start a separate thread on the new fan in-game experience to see what the rest of the Caniac Nation feels. 

BillSmythe: for your first post, that's a whopper, and I have to agree 1000% with everything you said.  Well done.

When I heard that we were going to get a more "traditional" or "professional" experience, I thought it would at least include some real hockey organ.  Ever hear it at United Center (Hawks)?  Awesome.

Larry is there, but is handcuffed.  They let him run a little during a minor injury time, otherwise, he is completely handcuffed.  They dialed back his time.

Someone early mentioned Ric Flair: I for one am glad he's gone, if he is.  I've been unexpectedly out of town and have missed many games.  Went to yesterday's and due to the shutout, wasn't able to determine if Flair is gone or not.

For those who like to follow the actual game, there are big improvements.

First and foremost are the real-time stats on each line on the ice (for both teams) that are now shown on the scoreboard.

I admit, I'm there to watch hockey and follow the game, and I don't get too worked up over the fluff stuff.

Coastal, I have to agree with you that the real-time stats this year are a great addition.  So are the highlight replays at the beginning of each TV time out, the scoring summaries and period highlights. As for the fluff stuff during the game presentation, it was supposed to be heading toward the more traditional hockey in-game experience...........seems like it is headed for the opposite AHL hype-type venue that they originally said we were trying to avoid.

First, welcome BillSmythe.

Here's one for ya, relative to random thoughts.

When I first started following the Canes, nobody had a smart phone.

A little while back, I watched 2 girls text each other and turns out they were separated by 4 spots in line waiting to go into the game.  I bet at least one-half of the crowd now watches more of their smartphone screen than the actual game.  It's annoying sometimes.

Agree on the in-game experience, and also expected a little more hockey related theme based on the comments when the changes were announced.

Love the LED's and the lower level of lighting in the stands during the game.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I'm pretty sure that they still play the voice of the Ric Flair "Woooo's" when goals are scored but this year but I don't think they are putting his face on the jumbotron.

Ah, that may explain it.  I was looking for him and may have missed hearing him in the other game I was at.

I'll keep a watch out if I ever see another goal.   I still wouldn't care if he disappeared, but that's just me.

For those who like to follow the actual game, there are big improvements.

First and foremost are the real-time stats on each line on the ice (for both teams) that are now shown on the scoreboard.

I admit, I'm there to watch hockey and follow the game, and I don't get too worked up over the fluff stuff.

The stats are GREAT.  A little hard to follow if you want to also follow the game, but during short breaks, I love it.  Can't disagree there.  As for fluff stuff, maybe they should cut out the organ, music, cheerleaders and concessions.  We can sit there and study the game in silence.   ;)

As for fluff stuff, maybe they should cut out the organ, music, cheerleaders and concessions.  We can sit there and study the game in silence.   ;)

Smarty pants. :P

Love the organ, the more of that the better.

The cheerleaders don't do anything but clap their hands together or blow that god-awful horn.  If you like cheap t-shirts, there is that. 

Thank gawd the cowbells disappeared.

Linda Craft is still Skeletor.

I eat in the parking lot, so if you want to pay premium dollars for a greasy pork samich have at it.  And who in their right mind puts cole slaw on bbq? 

If they had a stand that sold some deer or bear meat, or some duck poppers, or some fried rock, then put me down.  You know, stuff that's good for you.

Speaking of ducks, there should be a duck or goose calling competition at the intermission.  I'd win.  Or how about an archery competition?  I'd win that too.  Hey, a retriever demonstration would be good, especially on ice.  I'll bring my dawg.  He would win.  :banana:

I kind of like this random thoughts thread.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Chantel has learned from her   poor lack of  judgement.. Thank god for 2nd chances... been there.. Keep it going Chantel!

Edited by dinz

Smarty pants. :P

Love the organ, the more of that the better.

The cheerleaders don't do anything but clap their hands together or blow that god-awful horn.  If you like cheap t-shirts, there is that. 

Thank gawd the cowbells disappeared.

Linda Craft is still Skeletor.

I eat in the parking lot, so if you want to pay premium dollars for a greasy pork samich have at it.  And who in their right mind puts cole slaw on bbq? 

If they had a stand that sold some deer or bear meat, or some duck poppers, or some fried rock, then put me down.  You know, stuff that's good for you.

Speaking of ducks, there should be a duck or goose calling competition at the intermission.  I'd win.  Or how about an archery competition?  I'd win that too.  Hey, a retriever demonstration would be good, especially on ice.  I'll bring my dawg.  He would win.  :banana:

I kind of like this random thoughts thread.

You r on to sumthin, moose burgers,caribou,fried seagull. The fans are already talking about archery,won't be detected by the metal detector.

Pheasant, Sandhill crane (yum), rabbit, dove, ......

....what's in your freezer?

It's in mine.  Seriously.

Beats a greasy pork samich or nasty Sausage Stop product.  Gross.

I vote for a Coastal's Alternative Eatery somewhere close to 126.

Walk-up ticket sales would spike.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Maybe the title of this thread should be changed to the in game experience as suggested?

I think the music has improved greatly and they're playing some new stuff this season.  Thank goodness.

Here's a random in game experience thought:

"Pepsi Max, the official soft drink of the Carolina Hurricanes"

But try to buy one at the concession stands.  Nope.

I tweaked one of the concession guys last game about this.  He said it is a common complaint.  

I find it extremely unusual that an "official anything" in food or drink is not served at the arena.

Pheasant, Sandhill crane (yum), rabbit, dove, ......

....what's in your freezer?

It's in mine. Seriously.

Beats a greasy pork samich or nasty Sausage Stop product. Gross.

I vote for a Coastal's Alternative Eatery somewhere close to 126.

Walk-up ticket sales would spike.

I'd go there!

Deer, rabbit, and a muskrat... Yep, it's in mine.

Got 2 beavers in the freezer in the shed too.

Archery? I'd give ya some competition.

Knife and tomahawk throwing would def get some attention!

I haven't made it to a game this year yet and prob can't afford it until after the new year.

Get a 24oz beer and they pour a 22oz bottle into a cup. Remember the baseball park got sued for too much head on a 24oz and lost? They just had to change it to "large"

I don't really have anything to add to the thread until I hit a game. I just wanted to let Coastal know I like the way he talks, and I like mustard on my biscuits, mmmhmm

Edited by Whattausay

Here's something pretty random. Are we doing bobbleheads again this year? I assumed so but I haven't heard or seen anything yet. The wife and I have a pretty good collection going. Thanks in advance!

I'd go there!

I haven't made it to a game this year yet and prob can't afford it until after the new year.

I don't really have anything to add to the thread until I hit a game. I just wanted to let Coastal know I like the way he talks, and I like mustard on my biscuits, mmmhmm

Hey hey, and I thought I was the only one around here......with a healthy freezer.

I'd go there!

Get a 24oz beer and they pour a 22oz bottle into a cup. Remember the baseball park got sued for too much head on a 24oz and lost? They just had to change it to "large"

Did you say muskrat?  :shock:

Neither half of that word sounds tasty.

canesfan06, on 26 Nov 2014 - 17:22, said:

Here's something pretty random. Are we doing bobbleheads again this year? I assumed so but I haven't heard or seen anything yet. The wife and I have a pretty good collection going. Thanks in advance!

Looking at the promotions schedule online, there's no bobblehead nights scheduled for this year. Very thin on giveaways this season. If you're looking for any particular bobbleheads from previous seasons, though, PM me. I've got some to give away.

Well, this seems as good a place as any for this chart.  An interesting note in the article I copied it from said that Winnipeg fans actually leave the arena at intermission to buy beer at a bar across the street.  Surprised they don't have a "no readmission" policy . . .

vzQJlVV.png

lll

Well, this seems as good a place as any for this chart.  An interesting note in the article I copied it from said that Winnipeg fans actually leave the arena at intermission to buy beer at a bar across the street.  Surprised they don't have a "no readmission" policy . . .

vzQJlVV.png

lll

Then the place would be empty for the last 2 periods every game.,

Here's a random observation:

I don't think Tripp Tracey has been near as bad this year as last year.  Last season there were times when he was downright inane. This year just annoying on occasion.

:couch: