The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
carolina_kat

Random Thoughts....

No.  One is a Red Wings home sweater, the other is a Habs away sweater.

And I'm with OBXer.  Bring back the flags!

I beg to differ, sir!

I would've posted images from Chris Creamer's SportsLogos.net to illustrate (it shows uniforms as well) but am not up to speed on how to do it here.

Personally I prefer the sweaters from the SC Championship season (no shoulder piping), especially the home reds.  Now, THAT was an tough-looking and awesome sweater!

Since the talk of our jersey was brought back up, I worked the past day and a half when I could to come up with a new concept (which isn't really new).  I like our away jersey more than our home, but I felt it was incomplete without the flags.  I decided to keep the same elements for our home jersey, but changed our main color to black.  It was harder to get the elements to work in red.  What do y'all think?

Hurricanes%20Uni%20New_zpsox9bczaf.png

Credit to NHLUniforms.com for the original image.

Since the talk of our jersey was brought back up, I worked the past day and a half when I could to come up with a new concept (which isn't really new).  I like our away jersey more than our home, but I felt it was incomplete without the flags.  I decided to keep the same elements for our home jersey, but changed our main color to black.  It was harder to get the elements to work in red.  What do y'all think?

Definitely like the away jersey.  But I'd stick with red for the primary home jersey.

Why don't we put a twist in some panties. Since we have had to endure weird schedules because of , State Fair, NC State football and basketball, seat color changes because of other occupants idea of " red " , and missed out on free seat cup holders because of antiquated NCAA rules. Let's have some blue  in our sweaters.  Just a thought.

If we're going with flags why not go all the way? I especially like the flags as stripes on the black uni sleeves.   Couple of other small suggestions:

• The white stripes above and below the flags on the black seem too wide so I made them narrower.
  • I made the crest slightly fatter (width is still the same).
  • Flags as stripes on the socks probably won't work but I'd go with a couple of thin stripes instead of the thick one.
  • I'm not a huge fan of red-on-red.  I'd prefer the red jersey with black pants, black with red, or black on black.

Hurricanes%2BUni%2BNew%2BFlags.jpg

Edited by LakeLivin

Why don't we put a twist in some panties. Since we have had to endure weird schedules because of , State Fair, NC State football and basketball, seat color changes because of other occupants idea of " red " , and missed out on free seat cup holders because of antiquated NCAA rules. Let's have some blue  in our sweaters.  Just a thought.

Where are you sitting that you don't have cup holders? :huh:

Where are you sitting that you don't have cup holders? :huh:

They are in place now but in the past Budweiser offered to provide free ones. Maybe 05 or 06 .

If we're going with flags why not go all the way? I especially like the flags as stripes on the black uni sleeves.   Couple of other small suggestions:

• The white stripes above and below the flags on the black seem too wide.
  • I made the crest slightly fatter (width is still the same).
  • Flags as stripes on the socks probably won't work but I'd go with a couple of thin stripes instead of the thick one.
  • I'm not a huge fan of red-on-red.  I'd prefer the red jersey with black pants or black on black.

Hurricanes%2BUni%2BNew%2BFlags.jpg

I definitely like the bigger crest.  It just reinforces the idea that our crest currently appears too small when compared to other teams.  The flags on the sleeves is an interesting idea, but to me it may seem a bit overboard.

I've been working on the backside of the black jersey as well as seeing if I can get a red one to work.  I'll also mess around with those suggestions and I'll post when I get them done.

For some reason I think the flags on the sleeves of the white jersey are a bit too much as well but I really like the flags on the sleeves of the black jerseys.  Instead of one wide "flag stripe" on the sleeves of the white jersey, I wonder how two thin flag stripes (same width as the stripes on the current away jerseys) would look. I imagine that from any distance at all they'd appear solid and you'd only notice the detail if you were fairly close.  I was going to play with it but the images are too small for that level of detail . . .

So how do we get the Canes to  de-wimpify our logo?

I wish our alternate jerseys had the red-black flags instead of that grey color scheme.

I think we should call Don. :D  I volunteer RNT82 for that (good work btw).

Isn't the league going to Adidas, who owns Reebok?  It's a good time to fix that and the wimpy crest.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I wish our alternate jerseys had the red-black flags instead of that grey color scheme.

I think we should call Don. :D  I volunteer RNT82 for that (good work btw).

Isn't the league going to Adidas, who owns Reebok?  It's a good time to fix that and the wimpy crest.

Yeah, I'm with you on that.  The red-black flags that RNT mocked up seem to really "pop" compared to the grey color scheme.  What do you think about the thin flag stripes on the sleeves?

Honestly I think they would just blend into red from a distance.

Exactly.  To me that makes them not "too much" (like the one big flag stripe) but gives a nice level of detail up close.   I've got one more idea I want to try and then I"m done.  It's not like management will pay any attention to us even if we did come up with a better scheme. :shakeshead:

Edited by LakeLivin

A combo of some of the different ideas. Kind of hard to tell how it would look as an actual jersey, but at least it would be original to the Canes instead of a knock-off of other teams unis. 

Hurricanes%2Broad%2Bbest%2Bflags.jpg

It's all yours from here on out RNT. :)

Edited by LakeLivin

I thought I was done but I ran across this and had to pass it on.  It's from a guy named habsfan1 on here: http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/85160-nhl-2012-13-uniform-redesign-series/page-6#entry1838223

Hurricanes-1.png

I'd still make the logo a bit fatter, and the red probably needs to start out closer to "Hurricanes Red" before it goes  gradient, but other than that this looks pretty sweet to me. 

Edited by LakeLivin

A combo of some of the different ideas. Kind of hard to tell how it would look as an actual jersey, but at least it would be original to the Canes instead of a knock-off of other teams unis. 

Hurricanes%2Broad%2Bbest%2Bflags.jpg

It's all yours from here on out RNT. :)

EDIT: I really like the laces on our home jerseys. I'd add laces to the above.

I thought I was done but I ran across this and had to pass it on.  It's from a guy named habsfan1 on here: http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/85160-nhl-2012-13-uniform-redesign-series/page-6#entry1838223

Hurricanes-1.png

I'd still make the logo a bit fatter, and the red probably needs to start out closer to "Hurricanes Red" before it goes  gradient, but other than that this looks pretty sweet to me.

I gotta admit, those look pretty awesome. I haven't had much time to finish my little project with the black jersey. But if you notice one thing in common with all of the concepts - the flags are back. Canes, make it happen.

Hurricanes-1.png

Follow your changes, and I could see myself myself buying a #5 version of this.