The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Whaler1

The Semin Enigma....

There are quite a few good discussions about Semin scattered all over the board and I think everyone who participated or followed the discussions would be better served if he had his own thread.  

I'm not trying to take away from the Game Day threads or In-Season thread but if it is Semin specific pleases post it in here.

Thanks for doing this Whaler. To get things rolling, I'm understanding that there may be some movement afoot to trade Semin for Antoine Vermette of Yates? Said to be seen on THN. Anyone see this, and what do all think? Added to the rumor was the condition that we retain some salary. Vermette is a UFA, so if we like, we'd have to resign. Not much of a scorer, but some grit. We certainly could stand some of that, viewing the game today and more than I'd like to remember thru the last eons!!

Edited by KJUNKANE

I didn't see this but depending on the salary we would need to keep it could help fix a tough situation. I hate being on the hook for any of his salary but I suppose we need to be realistic. Semin isn't scoring but he should be and I would rather trade for a consistent scorer. If it were Vermette and we couldn't or wouldn't re-sign him it would be a salary dump like the Ruu deal.

Vermette could fill the bill

I will believe it when I see it.

Thanks for doing this Whaler. To get things rolling, I'm understanding that there may be some movement afoot to trade Semin for Antoine Vermette of Yates? Said to be seen on THN. Anyone see this, and what do all think? Added to the rumor was the condition that we retain some salary. Vermette is a UFA, so if we like, we'd have to resign. Not much of a scorer, but some grit. We certainly could stand some of that, viewing the game today and more than I'd like to remember thru the last eons!!

Kyrule, that's not what that article suggested at all.  Semin and Vermette were talked about as different trade targets by their own teams with no suggestion of any trade between Colorado and Carolina.  Maybe you just read the title and not the article?

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/rumor-roundup-hurricanes-semin-coyotes-vermette-talk-of-trade-market/#more-25497

Anyway, I don't think he is tradeable regardless

Edited by coastal_caniac

As long as Eklund's name isn't attached to the rumor .......

Not sure why but everything about Semin sort of reminds me a lot of the Corey Stillman situation late Nov 2007. Corey had a NTC and was above a PPG but his +/- was the worst on the team. Then from one day to the next his point production dropped to nothing, he had weeks were he didn't get a single point, he played like he didn't want to get hurt and his body language was odd at times, with little to no emotion when he did score. He got traded three months later and JR admitted that the trade had been in the works since before Christmas.

Not claiming that's the case with Alex but if he found out about a possible trade be it from Francis, his agent, a friend or his favorite hot dog vendor, I imagine it could mess with the guy's head.

Then again, all the reports so far claim that Semin is open with the coaches, he is trying his best and wants to succeed in Raleigh. We all know what Semin can do with the puck when he has time and the freedom to be creative. The only thing I can think of that would restrict his creativity and preferred way of play would be being forced to play a certain system that doesn't suit him. 

Eric might look more engaged than Alex but he is struggling with the system as well.

Interesting points whaler. I wouldn't even pretend to claim I could tell if it is true about the system. If it is and Semin (and others) can't adapt to the system then at some point you need to change the system or the player(s). Semin has been moved around a lot. I think it is Peters attempt to get him going. The result may be more confusion by certain players.

The thing is, IMO, Semin is now becoming a distraction or scape goat depending upon your view. I don't think that can continue. It isn't fair to the team or the player.

I'm still hoping Sasha can find his game. I'm not optimistic.

The coach has to think it is at least in part on Semin's compete level or he wouldn't have press boxed him for two games.

BTW I didn't catch the injury. Anyone mention it somewhere?

I did think he looked better vs Calgary, but then the whole team did too.

I cannot think Semin is tradable now outside of salary dump, but hard to even see that.

He is definitely looking to me like a guy playing not to get hurt. 

We have to keep trying to get him going.

Derogative comments from Tripp Tracey during games doesn't help anything. This afternoon he said the team turns the puck over less with Semin scratched during the first five minutes of the game. Five minutes in. Get over it, he's struggling. When Eric had the worst +/- in the league, or the most stick infractions, he sat quietly, or suggested reasons for his struggles. It makes me want to watch away broadcasts at this point. It doesn't belong in our play by play. It wasn't the first time our announcers talked smack about Semin, and I doubt it'll be the last. But with him in the game or benched, the have something negative to say. Tripp jumps on pointing out if Semin turns over a puck, but not for anyone else on the team. Semin is a member of the team, whether you like it or not, so stop crucifying him.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

When he came here looking for a contract, there was a lot of discussion about whether his positives outweighed his negatives.

While he can be an offensive juggernaut when he is motivated, there has always been that stigma that when things don't go his way, he goes into a shell and pouts and doesn't produce. He is really hard to figure out.

At the STH closed practice/autograph session last month, I saw him at one of the tables. His body language, as least how I read it, was "I don't wanna be here". His head was down pretty much the whole time I saw him and he just didn't look happy.

When Joni was healthy and playing, I'd always tell my wife when we'd see him play that Pitkanen was off in "Joni-land" again. He'd be just out there. Maybe Semin is going through the same thing.

Trading him would mean the Canes would have to take on part of his approximately $21mil left on his contract, unless we can find a trading partner that would be comparable. One team that came to mind for me was Edmonton. They have a lot of young top draft pick players and they will have trouble trying to hold onto them. Another is Chicago. There have been reports that they are going to have trouble trying to hold onto Kane and Toews because of the size of their contracts and be able to keep some of their other players.

Edited by hopper915

I could care less if Semin cares about what Tripp and sometimes John say about him. I as a fan don't want to see a player getting singled out because he's struggling and question his work ethic when players have done that here for years, before Semin was ever a Hurricane, because of rumors/nationality/lack of communication. I'd rather hear the game called and comments made on the game, not comments made on players who are scratched and have nothing to do with the play five minutes into the game. 

I don't care for homer reporting. If Tripp has stats that support a flaw and feels he needs to share them, by all means go for it but don't just start and stop with Semin. However, the downside with obsessing with any player in a negative way, it won't get the casual fan/listener excited about the game or encourage them to watch a game in person.

Tripp's off the cuff comment yesterday was plain wrong. NHL stats show that Liles, Sekera, Faulk, Lindholm and Tlusty had more giveaways than Alex and GP% wise Alex is still not the worst.

If Tripp wants to elaborate on how much giveaways have hurt the team, how about singling out our Sekera and Faulk pairing because when either of them turns over the puck it is usually against top talent and in the defensive zone. Last night is a good example with one of Sekera's giveaways right in front of Cam that allowed Boston to tie the game. 

Tripp, really.  I can't figure out who he saw sleeping together that enables him to even keep the job.  Anyway, JMO.  If there wasn't a delay between the radio and the TV, I would listen to Chuck call the games with the TV muted.  Somebody please work on that.

As far as Semin goes, he played well when he needed to, as in the first year to wrap up a comfortable contract.  I can  never remember a player that skates in a manner that suggest they are intentionally trying to avoid contact and/or getting hurt.  Maybe his new wife has told him she will leave him if he gets hurt, I don't know.  What I do know is, he has the ability to be a game changer and one hell of an offensive threat.......and he refuses to be either this year for some reason.

I really do not foresee any opportunity to trade him without us retaining a whole lot of salary, you know, the JR way.  I am pretty sure there isn't a GM in the NHL that has thought, even once this year, that Semin would be a great addition to their team.  Again, JMO.  

Isn't Vermette a center? I think the Canes feel comfortable with the centers they have at the moment,especially when Jordan comes back. We still need another RW and any trade for Semin should include another RW. Alex isn't very marketable at the moment,look for a buyout in June.

Coastal, kjun says under his breath as he slinks back from the embarrassment, I think your comment should have been directed at me, rather than kyrule!! And yes, my post just accepted a friend's message rather than myself reading the THN article I cited regarding Semin and Vermette. I promise that I'll research better in the future.

Now, about Semin from my own perspective, I agree that Tripp and several other of our broadcasters have been on the proverbial "bandwagon" in their criticisms of the enigmatic guy that I too hope finds his game!! However, in deference to those critics, there seems to be a very fine line on these boards that defines accurate and necessary criticism vs the dreaded label of "homerism"

Isn't Vermette a center? I think the Canes feel comfortable with the centers they have at the moment,especially when Jordan comes back. We still need another RW and any trade for Semin should include another RW. Alex isn't very marketable at the moment,look for a buyout in June.

Agree. A buy-out is a viable option.

Buying out Alex will save us about $4.6M all together and would cost us $2.3M a year for 6 years which is also applied to the cap.

With those 'savings' Ron could grab another RW off the UFA market in the summer.

The way I understand it, a trade would only make sense if the new player's salary and possible shared salary obligation for Semin does not exceed $14M over the next 4 years. Or in a salary dump, if we can acquire draft picks and/or depth players with the new team taking on most or all of Semin's salary.

Coastal, kjun says under his breath as he slinks back from the embarrassment, I think your comment should have been directed at me, rather than kyrule!! And yes, my post just accepted a friend's message rather than myself reading the THN article I cited regarding Semin and Vermette. I promise that I'll research better in the future.

Now, about Semin from my own perspective, I agree that Tripp and several other of our broadcasters have been on the proverbial "bandwagon" in their criticisms of the enigmatic guy that I too hope finds his game!! However, in deference to those critics, there seems to be a very fine line on these boards that defines accurate and necessary criticism vs the dreaded label of "homerism"

Guys, let's all remember that Tripp (and John and Chuck) are paid by the 'Canes, so whatever messages you are hearing from them about Semin are likely colored by management. Not saying the criticisms of him are unjustified, they are completely justified. But there are 19 other guys on the roster who are pretty much getting a pass, and if Peters is seriously about accountability, it's time to sit them too.

Y'all know what a Skinner fan I am. But the guy needs to put the puck in the net, and if putting him in the press box will make that point, they should do it. Same for Staal, and McClement - two points in 16 games with no goals? Really?

When Staal, Gerbe and Dwyer got back from injury the team got better. IMO it still is a better team with them. If we had gotten off to a decent start the last two losses would be just that, a couple of losses. But with odds against us and digging out of that October hole every play, every mistake, every loss, everything is magnified.

Semin is just another piece in the puzzle that just doesn't quite fit.

I'm trying to be patient, trying to see a plan but so far every move exposes another team short coming. 

. . . McClement - two points in 16 games with no goals? Really?

. . . so far every move exposes another team short coming. 

TS: McClement is who he is, i.e., FO wins and defense.  Anything above 4th line is overslotting him.  We knew that (or should have) coming into this season. His 2013-14 stats with Montreal: 81games, 4g, 6a, 10 pts total.  I point that out not in reference to  your main point about holding others than Semin accountable.  Rather, I point it out as an offshoot of OBXer's point about team short comings, one of which I still maintain is depth (although certainly not the  only one).

If we're expecting scoring from McClement's slot, I see accountability for lack thereof as more resting with mgmt than with McClement.  Like I said, he is who he is.

Edited by LakeLivin

Tripp's comment was unusual for him. Maybe Semin stopped talking to him, too. Tripp was such a fan boy gushing about Semin and how they talked when Semin first arrived. There wasn't a broadcast without Tripp saying something about his dialogue with Semin.

Now? ...not so much.

What a great talent Semin could be for this team, as he was. I'm still hoping he shows up, but like everyone else very disappointed so far.

I don't know how much Tripp is colored by ownership and management. But right now Semin is the biggest disappointment on this team by far. I would be the first back on the Semin train if he can get it back. I was one of the first to ask for Semin when JR could get him. It isn't personal or anti Russian or anything, but the guy is not engaging at the NHL level all year. Not just Tripp pointed this out. Peters mentioned it, then put him in the press box for 2 games. But is is apparent to the naked eye.

Is he nursing some kind of injury? Who knows? All I know is that he's playing at about 60% (rank speculative number) to my eye. 

This is not a journeyman 4th liner, this is a fine tuned, all world talent. No comparison to McClemment.

Skinner? OK, but Skinner suffered another concussion, was off even a few games on the ice, but the last couple of days has been creating chances and looking very good. Sure he still has some defense to work on, but he is brining it otherwise.

It's not like Semin is creating lots of grade A chances and is ringing the post and snake bit and robbed by goalies. He is just floating and disengaging and turning the puck over and just not engaged. 

As soon as he does, I'm back on board. I have not seen it yet. 

Nothing much to add. Semin skates with the same level of intensity that the ice crew does. I don't know how the wrist injury affects that. Some say he is an easy target and singled out where others have been allowed to get by. I don't remember anyone that has that level of ability, and who has played as poorly or lackadaisically.

Sorry if I offended any members of the ice crew.

He makes  7 million plus, going through the motions... Trade him if you can, if hes having a  personal problem, or some  type of injury , sit him down... Peters wont stand for someone who isnt  totally on board, im not a shrink, so dont know whats going on in Semins head.. i just dont know...  he probaly  scores today, thats the way it goes..:)        Dont coddle the guy on here... he has to SHOW that he WANTS to play!  Im getting a headache talking about him..