The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Whaler1

The Semin Enigma....

Dumb question:

What's to keep us from sending him to the minors and hoping someone claims him on waivers?  How much of his contract would we be still on the hook for in that scenario?

If someone claimed him off of waivers we wouldn't be on the hook for any of his salary moving forward.

But if Semin is less than 100% due to injury, why do it? There's almost zero chance of anybody else picking up that contract. And then the question becomes (and I do mean "question") what would the impact of such a move be on Semin (and the rest of the team) moving forward?

Edited by LakeLivin

Also, you can't bury contracts in the minors anymore.  If he made it through waivers, and at his age, his cap hit to the Canes would remain relatively the same, less 900K or so (I don't remember the exact number).

AWAC, coastal was talking about Cap hit.  We'd still be paying him full salary, and with the Canes, the relevant issue is actual salary rather than cap salary . . .

I think our best hope for Semin is that he returns to form, whether it's to help the team or to make him tradeable.

Edited by LakeLivin

Finally some actual quotes about Semin.

From Chip:

Peters says he has had several conversations with Semin this Season. "Obviously something's not right. Talk is cheap, though, right?"

The question now is what will be done about Semin? Waivers, send to AHL, buyout? It seems clear Peters' patience has run out."

I've waited patiently for months now, through all the excuses, to finally see the real issue out their in social media for fans to read.  The pot has boiled over folks.

I'm not applauding the comments, or the need to call out an individual player on Twitter, but I think now at least it's pretty clear this isn't going to work, and what the real issue was all along.

With those comments, the Canes now have to figure out a way to put some finality to this, but I have no idea how they are going to go about doing that.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Not so fast..Francis said this

Chip Alexander @ice_chip  ·  33m 33 minutes ago

Francis on Semin: "We will continue to work with him. Hopefully he will be the player we think he can be. ... We are not giving up on him."

More Francis on Semin: "Our job is to continue to work with him and get the message through. We think we can do it."

The enigma continues.

Gah, really? Is something lost in translation? What I gather from all of this is there's no injury related issue at this point. Sounds like a player/coach/system dilemma. At least we're getting a little insight to what's been going on. Good job folks!

Round and round.

I submit we know at least 2 things for sure:

1. Something has the Semin of this year is miles away from even the worst Semin of yesteryear. Why is still speculation. Heck even Peters acts like he doesn't know or buy the answer. But whatever it is, it is far far worse than the Semin that Washington complained about.

2. Peters has no patience for it, whatever it is.

So the coach has a player he won't use, but the GM has a player with a bloated long term salary that he can't move, but especially if the coach keeps scratching him.

The thing I find odd, is that Semin seemed to be playing better the last time he got in. Why not give him a shot? Maybe he can at least become potentially movable. If Semin came back and got on a tear maybe we can give him away at the deadline.

Edited by remkin

Yes, I think Peters has had it w/ Semin, but Francis still has to deal with doing something with Semin besides paying him outlandish money to sit in the press box.

On the surface, I think Peters was basically saying what Semin had to do to get out of the pressbox/doghouse.  That's about it.  It was pretty blunt, and he used Brad Malone as an example of how players that have been in the same situation have recently responded.

I totally agree it makes no sense to sit him forever in terms of RF's job, but it sounds to me like Semin has a pretty clear road to follow to meet the expectations of the head coach and get back on the ice.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Maybe coastal. What is clear is Semin is becoming a time consuming distraction for this team.

When Francis said we aren't giving up on him it appears to rule out a buyout, at least for now. I suppose waivers are still a possibility.

I think the best option is sending him to the AHL in hopes he decides to rip up his contract Kovalchuk style and goto the KHL.

If I'm being paid 7 mil to ride the pine, I don't really care what anyone thinks. However make me ride buses and play 3 games in 3 days I might re-think my options.

You can't buyout players now anyway.

Oh I know. I wrote that incorrectly. I should have said it appears at this time that Francis isn't considering a buyout as an option. Semin can't be bought out until seasons end but to me it indicates Francis doesn't see that as a way out.

Of course all things change. There can always be an element of GM speak in his remarks too.

I think the best option is sending him to the AHL in hopes he decides to rip up his contract Kovalchuk style and goto the KHL.

If I'm being paid 7 mil to ride the pine, I don't really care what anyone thinks. However make me ride buses and play 3 games in 3 days I might re-think my options.

This is spot on. Semin has been called a coach killer before. Maybe he thinks Peters will be gone soon, given the miserable state of the Canes' record at this point in the season, and he can start breaking in another new coach next year. I don't see that happening here. Peters is the right guy for this job and despite the record I think the organization is very pleased with him. If Semin is waiting for Peters to be dismissed he's going to be waiting for a while.

I'd pay to see the spectacle of Semin playing in Charlotte. If you think he looks disinterested in Raleigh just wait. Anyway, if Francis decides to put him through waivers, which he would obviously clear, and then assigns him to Charlotte I don't see him reporting. The only problem is that the economics of the KHL don't seem to be what they once were. Who knows--some Russian mobster running a team over there might want Semin badly eough to make him forget his NHL contract. One can hope.

If he finishes the year in the press box or in Charlotte, I'd have to think he'll be bought out. I don't see him quitting with the current economic climate in the KHL. He's owed $21 mil. A buyout pays him $14 mil. 14 for nothing beats 21 for nothing.

Edited by super_dave_1

Here's the full statement from NHL.com game preview.

"It's not frustrating for me," Peters said. "We just play the guys who dig in and work and play with speed in both directions. It's not hard. Obviously, something is not right. Talk is cheap though, right? You can talk or you can play. Show me."

It comes together a bit different than just taking the last sentance. Maybe RF was doing a little PR there, heh.

Perhaps the Canes should take note and do what the Kings did (Waived Mike Richards; sent him to Manchester today). Put Semin on Waivers, if he is not claimed, send him to Charlotte.

Perhaps the Canes should take note and do what the Kings did (Waived Mike Richards; sent him to Manchester today). Put Semin on Waivers, if he is not claimed, send him to Charlotte.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of a Semin for Richards swap.  I would even go as far as retaining some salary to even it up.  What to we have to loose?  We are getting 0 from Semin so if we get 0 from Richards, we break even.  Richards is not worth the money he is being paid in LA, but he is not near as bad as Semin. 

According to Chip Semin sit again in St Louis. 

Guessing he probably gets another shot after the next loss unless it is one of those hard fought should have won losses.

Tampa then St Louis. Quite a 1-2 punch test.

Edited by remkin