The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Whaler1

The Semin Enigma....

We need a center more than we need a Semin!

Okay, you got me there :)

In a perfect world Jordan would be slotted #2 and we'd have a stud at #1, and yeah, I have thought (who hasn't) wouldn't it be nice if Richards could re-emerge as that kind of player? But then I look at the teams that have let him go and the reasons why and think "Semin clone." 

The team certainly need an upgrade at #2 center if Eric continues to play the wing.  With all due respect to Nash, I don't think he projects to be a #2 center in the NHL.  There's a good sample of games to draw from.  Rask is a rookie that may not get there either.

That's the downside to having Eric on wing IMO - weaker down the middle.

But there's Lindholm, and it will be interesting to see how that goes..

Yeah, I think Linholm could get there...

Rask could too...

Problem would be counting on either one until we see a bit more.

It is difficult for me to tell our second line from our third line. They seem to be interchangeable.  For instance Rask was skating second line center today on the line rushes that were posted.

I like Nash and he has some special team advantage for us. But I see him as a third line center and think he will be good, perhaps really good in that spot.

Rask surprised me this season. Although he seems to have hit a plateau as the season has gone on he is still holding his own. To me he looks like he could handle the second line in the future.

Lindholm is the wild card. We haven't seen enough of him at center. Although most of us seem to think he is going to good I don't think we can be sure how good just yet.

If we could pick up a good second line center it would help us is the near term.

At some point we are going to need to make some choices regarding those three players and our future. What happens with Semin will not have much influence on that decision.

The fact remains, we need Semin to produce.  I'll continue to strike up the band when he plays while I'm waiting for points.  The message has been made clear by the staff, and he isn't any good to us on the bench. 

I've been rubbing the heads of red-headed kids when I see one and collecting chicken bones and bat teeth for my juju sacrifice to get the guy going. 

I'm also taking up a collection to buy him Rosetta Stone,  and to assemble a vast team of medical staff to follow him around.  He also likely needs one of those sports doctors that works on heads.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Linholm, like a lot of top prospects was a center. And like a lot of young guys (Skinner) he got moved to wing. But he is defensively responsible and is a playmaker, so it is not out of the question he could eventually be very good there. He was the #5 overall pick and JR claims they had him ranked higher. I agree though, we need to see him there some to even think about it for the immediate future.

Good top 6 centers are hard to come by though....

Rask intrigues me. Not a ton of speed, but he is nifty with the puck and has moves. As his game and confidence improve he could be a big surprise. Sure surprised me this year already.

Semin....well he is worth trying to rehabilitate. Even as one might restore an old car just to sell it. I feel a bit lonely out here again, but the last two games he played looked better to me than the others this year. He set up some plays and almost netted a couple. Everyone talks about players, even stars needing to get their game timing and confidence back. Well Semin has been slapped several times by the coach, and sat for long stretches. At the very least he needs now to get a few starts with more of Peter's "catch him doing things right" to see if he can be built back up.

Edited by remkin

Semin....well he is worth trying to rehabilitate. Even as one might restore an old car just to sell it. I feel a bit lonely out here again, but the last two games he played looked better to me than the others this year. He set up some plays and almost netted a couple. Everyone talks about players, even stars needing to get their game timing and confidence back. Well Semin has been slapped several times by the coach, and sat for long stretches. At the very least he needs now to get a few starts with more of Peter's "catch him doing things right" to see if he can be built back up.

Good analogy about restoring an old car.  At this point, I think we should waive him.  Think of it like leaving the keys in the car hoping someone will steal it!

cclifford,

I am fascinated by this whole Semin enigma vs. Peters issue. That is a brief but interesting piece because to my knowledge, this is the first time I've heard the coach say "He's bought in".

I've noticed his play was dramatically better after his prolonged scratch, but then Peters scratched him again, so clearly felt some more messaging needed to be sent.

Apparently he has fixed what Peters was still seeing.

Now Peters says, "by George I think you've got it". He has either got it or Peters realizes that at some point continuing to hammer is counterproductive and is trying some positive feedback.

But the overall implication if we take Peters at his word is success at the classic break him down then build him back up technique.

I am always a bit skeptical about this kind of thing, but it is very interesting to see Peters swing over to the "He's buying in" tact. Semin IS playing much better.

I will say this: If Peters can work Semin into his system without clipping his unique wings too much, Semin can be a huge player for this team and even become tradable if it comes to that.

I will also say this: If Peters can break Semin down and build him up into the kind of player that works in the system but is still offensively dynamic. If Peters can curb the supposed "coach killer". Then Peters is amazing and will be a great coach before he's done. He has Staal playing better too.

What an amazing story it would be and how great for this team if this is true and holds. Semin can quickly become a fan favorite again. After all of that terrible.

I know, I know, some fans may never come around after the start of this year, but players who start putting up nearly a ppg,all of the sudden, and over a stretch of games can very quickly get back on the right side of fan sentiment. All that scoring. All that celebrating. More winning.

And Semin on his game is as much of a positive thing to behold, as the early this year's Semin was in a bad way.

Now gotta get to work on Skinner.

Edited by remkin

Now gotta get to work on Skinner.

I'm not overly worried about Skinner at this point even if it's because of a pretty subtle observation.  Last game against the Sharks I was watching the Canes as they came out to congratulate Ward after the win.  Despite it being a meaningless victory, and not contributing much personally, Skinner seemed overjoyed that we got the win.  If that's his attitude going forward I've got to believe he's got the skills to turn things around.

I was really trying to get a read on Semin's body language, but the cameras didn't clearly show him.   

I'm not overly worried about Skinner at this point even if it's because of a pretty subtle observation.  Last game against the Sharks I was watching the Canes as they came out to congratulate Ward after the win.  Despite it being a meaningless victory, and not contributing much personally, Skinner seemed overjoyed that we got the win.  If that's his attitude going forward I've got to believe he's got the skills to turn things around.

I was really trying to get a read on Semin's body language, but the cameras didn't clearly show him.   

Semin's assist in that game was amazing. That's the Semin we need to show up every night.

Beyond the concussions I think Skinner's biggest obstacle is mental. He's used to being on a winner - Kitchener has a long history as one of the O's best orgs, and he had great success there, 90 points in 72 games in his second season and 33 in 20 playoff games that year. In each of the past two years (before Peters) he was featured pre-season by the club on the website saying how eager he is to see playoff action. He left it all out there last year and we weren't even close, and then he gets plastered before the season even begins this year. It has always been pretty obvious watching him that he really hates losing.

I saw the same old, same old.  You get a great view of that from the stands.  Not impressed if that's all we can expect.

I wasn't there last night, but I agree about watching him from the stands.  He does a lot of drifting around lazily on the ice when you key in on watching him.  He never has a sense of urgency about anything he does.

Watching him as closely as I could on TV last night it is apparent that there is something wrong with Semins wrist, It looks like he can't feel the puck. For a scorer like him that would be a disaster. He also looks like he has lost confidence in his game. I won't be surprised if he has surgery to repair the surgery at the end of the season.

As for what appears to be his inability to join the play, find chemistry with a line mate, drift and shy away from contact I have no explanation. Maybe that goes along with lost confidence or maybe it's just the Semin enigma. But the Semin enigma has turned into the Semin dilemma.

If there was ever a player that needs a trade it's Semin. If there was ever a player that is UN-tradeable it's Semin. 

I'm not buying that the problem is Semin's wrist, for a couple of reasons.  It's really throwing him under the bus if he is listed as a "healthy scratch" if the problem is really a physical one.  I can't see them subjecting their delicate flower to the blowback from the fans and media by doing this.  It makes no sense to devalue your asset like that.  Also, if he needed additional surgery, wouldn't the time to do that be now if the Canes are out of the playoff hunt?  If it's get patched up or be a healthy scratch (and have the whole world think my asset is a bum), I know which one wins if I'm running this show.

The only logical reason to keep in the lineup if he was nursing something, would be if they were trying to make a trade involving him.  That ain't happening.  His contract and his performance have made him too toxic to be of any value in a trade scenario now.   

Edited by super_dave_1

I'm not buying that the problem is Semin's wrist, for a couple of reasons.  It's really throwing him under the bus if he is listed as a "healthy scratch" if the problem is really a physical one.  I can't see them subjecting their delicate flower to the blowback from the fans and media by doing this.  It makes no sense to devalue your asset like that.  Also, if he needed additional surgery, wouldn't the time to do that be now if the Canes are out of the playoff hunt?  If it's get patched up or be a healthy scratch (and have the whole world think my asset is a bum), I know which one wins if I'm running this show.

The only logical reason to keep in the lineup if he was nursing something, would be if they were trying to make a trade involving him.  That ain't happening.  His contract and his performance have made him too toxic to be of any value in a trade scenario now.   

Well . . . there seem to be a lot of similarities with Evander Kane in Winnipeg.  Granted, they are still in the playoff hunt, but they apparently expected Kane to play hurt and didn't seem to be doing much to protect his image with the fans.  And it was Kane that shut it down, not the Jets. 

I'm not saying it's not possible that Semin's wrist isn't bothering him, just that most organizations do expect their big money players to be out on the ice if at all possible.  And "covering" a player for an injury flies in the face of most teams "hush hush" policy. How many times have we heard that someone was playing hurt well after the fact?

I understand where you're coming from s_d, but for me the verdict is still out.