The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Whaler1

The Semin Enigma....

Put him on waivers.  Send him down.  Watch as he runs to KHL.  :D

The KHL isn't the prime destination that it was just a couple of years ago.  The Russian economy has tanked, and teams are struggling financially.

Of course Semin  is "buying in".....and he's our "best player right now" if anyone asks *wink wink*. That's what you say when you're trying to get a player traded. You let other teams know Semin has "turned the corner and is playing well and has no issues at all" when you're trying to get him off the books. I have a feeling he'll be a healthy scratch again after the deadline on Monday when we aren't shopping him any more. Then a buyout and we're done. Good riddance. 

Of course Semin is "buying in".....and he's our "best player right now" if anyone asks *wink wink*. That's what you say when you're trying to get a player traded. You let other teams know Semin has "turned the corner and is playing well and has no issues at all" when you're trying to get him off the books. I have a feeling he'll be a healthy scratch again after the deadline on Monday when we aren't shopping him any more. Then a buyout and we're done. Good riddance.

What? Why scratch him after the deadline? What does that accomplish? Sure, lets forget he's had some legitimately good games since being paired with guys of his skill level rather than moved around with 3rd liners like Rask, Nash, and Gerbe (sorry, thats all they are on any kind of good team). Lets forget he's getting some chemistry with Skinner who now has 5 goals in his last 7 games. The guy is getting chances to play real minutes for the first time in months instead of being in and out of the lineup constantly, and looks to be making the most of it. But lets ignore that, because it's not one of our young guys like Faulk or Lindholm who is able to make a mistake and not have anyone bat an eye. No, this is Semin, who clubs baby seals when not managing his dog fighting ring.

I've spent 2 months reading back on these boards but have been too p***ed off to comment because of stuff like this. I think I just hit my limit. There's some other places I found where there is real discussion to be had on the guy at least, instead of the one way hatred and character assassination here that you can find spewed by any media type. Looks like this board is the next place where we're now conditioned to just hate the guy without having any real thoughts about it.

I remember a game against the Rangers a couple weeks ago where Sekera and Faulk made some horrible defensive plays to get us down 2-0 early. Nobody said anything, let alone talked of scratching them, because we like them, we can get past it. If Semin would have made the same mistake, he would have been crucified and chased out of town. The double standard is ridiculous! If he makes a bad play, he gets blasted. If he makes a great play, we either ignore it, or worse, use it in some twisted argument that it proves he has no heart because he should make the same great play every game, obviously. If stats come out showing that he's actually doing some things well, like still being the top possession player on the team, then those stats aren't reliable or can't be trusted (Remember, there was a time when assists and save% were fancy stats too, should we ignore them then?). The guy can't win no matter what he does because we can't get past our prejudices.

Took me a couple hours to round up these, and there's another good one I haven't been able to find. Old articles I remember coming across, but everything they say looks familiar.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/alexander-semin-worth-the-risk-free-agent-washington-capitals/

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2012/07/01/tsn-trashes-alex-semin-calls-him-a-loser-and-coach-killer/

http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2012/7/7/3143770/alexander-semin-nhl-free-agent-reasons

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2012/7/7/3142627/refutation-of-stupid-semin-arguments

He's the only guy I've seen where someone who has never watched him can blast him with absolutely ZERO proof, and yet other people nod and agree without a rational thought, so the misinformation spreads. Go to any article or video and you see the same comments:

"Oh yeah, Semin is so skilled its too bad he never tries"

-"Oh, he didn't try in all the games you saw of his?"

"Uh, well, I, um... I haven't really, err, watched him.. I guess... But that's what I heard"

-Of course it is.

It seems like we're in the same spot here now, where before he's even made a play we see #28 on a jersey and decide whatever he does isn't going to be good enough, we're going to key on his weaknesses and him only. Forget the fact that if you intently watch anyone for a while they are going to have dumb passes, make wrong choices and sometimes not skate their hardest.

Did I miss something about him "quitting", like he stopped showing up to team meetings or something? Not that I've heard. Hell, even after some improvement, when BP comes out and says he's bought in, he then proceeds to scratch him the next 2 games. What? And we're surprised the guy then regresses, or can't find a rhythm? I saw a post pointing out that Lindholm hasn't looked good with the Staals so far (he hasn't), and then predicting that BP breaks up Skinner and Semins chemistry to help the top line, and proceeds to scratch Semin the next 2 games afterwards. Wouldn't surprise me by this point, and it wouldn't cause a stir. That's just an extension of whats been going on, and it would be Semins fault somehow. I wouldn't blame the guy if he packed it in by this point. I wouldn't blame him if he stuck around the next 3 years and collected paychecks just out of spite. I'd probably do the same thing. Why not, its obvious the team and fans gave up on him long ago, should be his turn now.

Edited by SaskCanesFan

C'mon Sasks, you know the answer here.... You bench him after the deadline because it's a very real possibility the team is going to buy him out and you get the young guys NHL ice time and develop them. The smart thing to do right now is play Semin and hope and pray he looks good and garners a trade to a "contender" that thinks he can help. If the plan is to buy him out, and that is a VERY real option since he is costing us about $3.5 million per goal, then he sits to open a roster spot for a guy like Terry. They're only playing him regularly now because you can't "sell" his value from the press box. You have to play him. Once the deadline passes, he's a burden again. I hope the guy catches on somewhere. Heck, I wish he could get it together and score 30 a year again for us! But so far he's showed us what everyone in Washington said he was... and that's too bad.  And for the record, I don't hate the guy but he is a joke for what he's being paid. The only numbers I need to see are that he has 2 goals and 12 assists in 35 games and makes $7 mil per year.  

I see what you're saying about getting younger guys in the lineup if you plan on buying him out, fair enough. There is a very real chance we buy him out after this season, but I for one won't be happy if we do. We are surprisingly playing quite good defense by committee with pretty subpar players, but we can't score goals to save our lives. So we're going to get rid of one of the only legitimate scoring threats on the team, along with Skinner?

I see a lot of similarities here with the Ward situation last year. Remember it was said we had to give up our first rounder just to get rid of him, and some here wanted to do it. How brutal would that move look now? Instead, we kept him around and gave him a chance to find his game. Look what happened! He has improved 10x over, and now has value FOR us, instead of against. I'm not saying Semin will rebound huge for sure next year if we keep him around. But there is at least a chance he will, where if we buy him out that goes to zero. I play the percentages on that one every time. 

About the money, I'll say what I've said before. If you're not a cap team, then what Alex Semin (or anyone else) makes is not important unless your name is Peter Karmanos or you have serious insecurities with your own job or wages. We bring too much emotion into this instead of logic. Why was Ward allowed a year to get his game back but Semin shouldn't be? Because Ward was here for a Cup, we like him, again, Semin not so much I guess. 

Most of this year has been a disaster for him, but he is trending in the right direction lately. He's looking better one the ice, and putting up more points lately, now that he is put with suitable linemates. He is helping Skinner score goals. Like I said before, how do we expect him to find a rhythm and put up points when he's constantly in, then scratched, then in, then scratched, and moved around with 3rd liners? His play at the start of the year, not skating and holding on to pucks too long sucked, but makes a lot of sense psychologically. It's over thinking, trying to adjust or do too much and ending up with nothing. Happens a lot, not just in sports. Skinner has adjusted his game a bit better (with no points as well though) and that shouldn't surprise anyone. He's 22, he is still going through his learning and development, its much easier to make changes at that age. Semin is 30, he's through those formative years.  

If you do want to talk about the contract though, remember when he was signed he was expected to play a certain role, be a certain type of player, and put up certain numbers to earn that money. He is not in that role anymore, he is being asked to be a different type of player than he was before, but we expect him to put up the same numbers he would in the old role? That doesn't make sense at all. Just in the same way that someone said great players can adjust their game to coaches, great coaches also adjust to their personnel. Coaching is about more than just bringing in a system, you have to adjust and manage your players. If you stay hard and fast on everything and refuse to budge, then you basically end up with John Tortorella. 

Again, its not fair to make him change roles but expect the old results. Do you want him completely changing his game for Peters system, or do you want him trying to do his thing where he's capable of 80 points? You probably don't get both. It may be that Peters system will never work well for him. It looks like those high end offensive types aren’t suited for what he’s brought in. Which is fine, that's not a slight against either. Sometimes a good coach and good player just don't work together. But that's a completely different problem that everyone jumping on him for being lazy. 

There was a point when teams played against the Caps, and people used to say the guy that had to be stopped was Semin. They used to say that his creativity was the key to their offence, and getting Ovie going. Then, suddenly,he stopped being an effective player, and was given the bums rush out of DC. He comes here for the short season, and he looks reborn. At the time he was rewarded with a big contract, he looked like a 7 mil. player. The next year he gets hurt, and his numbers are down.He comes back this year, and looks totally disinterested. I understand he might have been affected by last year's injury, but it is hard to understand the lack of hustle. I just wonder what it takes to get him to make the effort? Obviously, his talent has never been questioned, but what leads to his fall off after years of good play? I guess asking questions with no answers is kind of the definition of an enigma.

It is pretty much the definition of an enigma, and it can definitely be maddening to try and figure out. As far as his time in Washington goes, at the end Dale Hunter coming in had a huge impact on Semin. Hunter's style suffocated offense, and Semin was relegated to third line duty, lost ice time and was asked to block shots while playing with much less talented linemates (sound familiar?). As far as everything I could dig up on him though, as seen in some of the articles I posted, he continued to be an effective player even with these restrictions in that he:

A ) still remained a strongly positive possession player

B ) had a positive impact on his teammates, as almost every one of them was more successful playing with him than they were without him

C ) still remained among the top of his team in even strength points/60 min of ice time, right along with Ovechkin

And that a lack of quality minutes, PP time, and playing with less talented linemates simply ended in less scoring chances. Even Hunter himself came out after leaving Washington and said that Alex adjusted and did everything that was asked of him, going against the "loser, bad attitude, coach killer" BS that is spread through media personalities without any evidence or second thoughts. Every in depth analysis done on the guy for years has shown that the accusations of him are wrong, yet they continue to be spread.

He's called lazy, bad defensively, etc so he gets put on a short leash, his creativity is stifled and he's forced into defensive, bottom line roles and his production slips, so we use that as evidence to support our theory that he must be lazy or not care. The guy has become the ultimate example of a self fulfilling prophecy. That's why I say its unfair to expect him to change his role on the team, yet continue to live up to the numbers he was expected to have under his own role. I really wouldn't blame the guy if he's quit by this point.

I like a lot of what Peters and Francis have done. Having a real 4th line instead of failed prospects is something we sorely missed, and what they've done defensively with the players available is remarkable. But I can't see how getting rid of our only elite offensive talent (see Semin, A and Skinner,J) will possibly help this team be a true Stanley Cup contender anytime. Seems like a mix somewhere between Phoenix, who never has the talent to truly be a threat, and the early 2000s Devils who played a suffocating and hard to watch style that helped lead to some rule changes. Frankly that mix sounds pretty bad to me.

Obviously a lot of people on here think that Semin is a lost cause. I don't. As with Ward last year, I think the potential reward is worth the risk of keeping him around for at least one more year, where hopefully everyone can be relatively healthy to boot. It's worth at least a thought instead of the hate thats been in this thread constantly for the past 3 months.

Edited by SaskCanesFan

Completely agree Sask. I've avoided this thread as much as I've could. The general opinion on Semin on these forums are kind of despicable at times, part of the reason I don't post as much as I used to. The guy is still my favorite 'Canes player. He's having a bad season just like the rest of the team. Minus maybe Faulk and Ward. He's not going to get bought out, and even if the team was looking to deal him, any trade would require half of his salary retained. It'd be like paying Jussi Jokinen and Tuomo Ruutu to score on us again.

Whoa, can't resist commenting here.  I'll preface this by saying I actually like Alex Semin and believe he is highly skilled.

His performance this season has been totally unacceptable.  He has only performed well in about half-a-dozen games, including the last three.  What is obviously different in those last three games are shots (Philly) and more speed (Caps). 

Most nights he seemed to float, and often looked gassed (out of shape).  He has failed to take obvious shots and passed far to often for a guy with his shooting skill.  I don't doubt Peters and his call for Alex to move his feet.

This guy makes $7MM a year, and that translates to Cap space with team impact.  Contracts are part of fan interest as overall consideration for options to field a team, and fan discussion.  It is not a factor only for Karmanos paying his salary.

I like the guy, but if he is in the way of what Peters is trying to mold he needs to be cut loose - even if we're proven wrong later.

One final point:  I've watched every game he's played as a Cane with my own two eyes.  I'm no media follower!

Edited by Manwolf

To appreciate the enigma, you have to watch live because you won't see what he does when he doesn't have the puck much on TV.  I think float comes to word a lot.

But he doesn't always do this.  Other games he's completely different.  Very enigmatic.

To appreciate the enigma, you have to watch live because you won't see what he does when he doesn't have the puck much on TV.  I think float comes to word a lot.

But he doesn't always do this.  Other games he's completely different.  Very enigmatic.

Float...mill around...that's about what you see when you are actually at the game.  You are dead on about not seeing a lot of that on TV.  They follow the puck around.  When he is standing around on the boards, away from the play, and doing his floating/milling around...that doesn't translate to the TV viewer.

The NHLs ISP (Injury Secrecy Policy) doesn't help when it comes to Semin's reputation.  The eye test says he isn't playing at 100% effort, let alone effectiveness. Is some of that due to lingering wrist issues?  Back issues (hinted at, but that's all)?  Head issues (clinical ones, not just a "bad attitude")?

Nature abhors a vacuum; in the absence of real information we'll fill it in with speculation.

Edited by LakeLivin

Any player who stands around, doesn't move with speed, won't engage in the play, and generally looks disinterested will get the ire of this coach and fans.

Mostly this coach.  Maybe Sucka and Sask, you should direct the vitriol at Peters?   Semin's played better over the last 3 games, but is that enough?

Or maybe take aim at management, who is reportedly actively shopping the guy and has made it known that the club is willing to take on a significant part of Semin's contract to be rid of the guy.  RF's words not mine.

......The Carolina Hurricanes are looking to move veteran winger Alexander Semin before the March 2 trade deadline, two separate sources have told TFP....

The Hurricanes, according to the two league sources, are willing to retain a "significant portion" of Semin's contract if a team is interested in acquiring him.....

And some of us fans are despicable.  Yeah, right.  Seems the coach and management is seeing the same Semin. Or would you argue with that? 

Edited by coastal_caniac

I've said this before on the speculation on an injury being Semin's issue, but here goes again.  If injury was the issue, doesn't it make sense that he would be scratched as "upper body concern" or "lower body concern" instead of being thrown under the bus driven by spiteful internet message board fans?  He is a valuable asset to the team.  He is a $7 mil a year asset.  You don't leave that out in the parking lot with the keys in it and hope for the best.  You take care of that. 

If the organization is trying to get him to buy in to what they are selling, it makes all kind of sense to be open with his health issue.  If he needs further surgery or rehab, now is the time.  The season is over as far as playoffs go.  Get him ready for next year. 

I've said this before on the speculation on an injury being Semin's issue, but here goes again.  If injury was the issue, doesn't it make sense that he would be scratched as "upper body concern" or "lower body concern" instead of being thrown under the bus driven by spiteful internet message board fans?  He is a valuable asset to the team.  He is a $7 mil a year asset.  You don't leave that out in the parking lot with the keys in it and hope for the best.  You take care of that. 

If the organization is trying to get him to buy in to what they are selling, it makes all kind of sense to be open with his health issue.  If he needs further surgery or rehab, now is the time.  The season is over as far as playoffs go.  Get him ready for next year. 

s_d: you've said it before, and I've probably responded, I'm pretty sure it usually doesn't actually work that way in professional sports, especially for big names.   I've read over and over that teammates, the administration, and even most injured players themselves expect injured players to play if they feel they can contribute (more than a replacement) while not risking permanent injury.  And we know the Canes have a pretty strict ISP (injury secrecy policy). 

I look at Evander Kane this year as a good example.  The organization didn't shut him down this year; Kane did it himself, and seems to have taken a pretty big hit reputation wise for having done so.  And although I don't know for sure, I don't get a sense that the org was protecting Kane "p.r. wise" with regard to his injured shoulder before he opted for surgery. 

This is one where you and I are just going to have to disagree. :)

Edit:  forgot to add:

imo it could be a combo of "head" and body issues, might not be all of one or the other.

I'm in agreement that IF there's a health issue, it wouldn't hurt us to shut Semin down for the season. With the possible exception that he might come around enough to get someone else to take him off our hands (with salary retention, obviously)   

Edited by LakeLivin

Lake, I just put the part about saying it before because I knew I said it somewhere, not aiming it at you. I guess we will disagree on this one. Some health issue may affect him, but every player in the league has something now. I agree that the guy is ultra talented, but there is some reason that Washington let him walk and 28 other GMs weren't interested. The best deal he could get was a 1 year tryout from JR that he produced and got the big money deal he has now.

Semin is just not producing. Nesty has twice as many goals in half as many game, playing on the bottom half of the forwards after being claimed off waivers. No GM in the league is going to take him now, even if RF retained the max (50%) salary. Have we been overly critical of him? I can't see that from the way he has performed. Some other players were mentioned in that their gaffs go unnoticed. When you make 20 good plays and have a costly mistake, you get some slack. This season, Semin hasn't really had enough good play to offset much of anything.

......The Carolina Hurricanes are looking to move veteran winger Alexander Semin before the March 2 trade deadline, two separate sources have told TFP....

The Hurricanes, according to the two league sources, are willing to retain a "significant portion" of Semin's contract if a team is interested in acquiring him.....

I've always thought that if the Canes were to trade Semin, we'd probably have to keep at least half his contract. But $3.5mil over the next 3 seasons is better than $7mil/season. I really think it boils down to Semin just doesn't fit the system Peters employs. He is probably trying, but he is frustrated that he is not contributing and you can see it by his body language on the ice. When it starts to affect an athlete's psyche, it becomes a mental issue. It may just take a new venue for someone like him to snap out of it.

. . .

Semin is just not producing. Nesty has twice as many goals in half as many game, playing on the bottom half of the forwards after being claimed off waivers. No GM in the league is going to take him now, even if RF retained the max (50%) salary. Have we been overly critical of him? I can't see that from the way he has performed. Some other players were mentioned in that their gaffs go unnoticed. When you make 20 good plays and have a costly mistake, you get some slack. This season, Semin hasn't really had enough good play to offset much of anything.

Pretty much in agreement with you there, s_d.

I've always thought that if the Canes were to trade Semin, we'd probably have to keep at least half his contract. But $3.5mil over the next 3 seasons is better than $7mil/season. I really think it boils down to Semin just doesn't fit the system Peters employs. He is probably trying, but he is frustrated that he is not contributing and you can see it by his body language on the ice. When it starts to affect an athlete's psyche, it becomes a mental issue. It may just take a new venue for someone like him to snap out of it.

I think it's the question of how hard he's been trying that has so many here up in arms.  The last couple of games I'd agreee, but many of the earlier ones I'd have to question based on his play. 

Here's something I did notice last night and I wonder if it might be significant.  I saw footage of Semen where you could see him smiling.  I didn't make much note of it until later so I'm not sure if it was from the Philly game, last night's game, or maybe even related to the Ward celebration, but it's the first time this whole season I recall seeing him with a smile on his face.  I wonder if there's a chance that this new found "attitude" (not exactly the right word) and play the last couple of games might be related? Not sure which would be the driver, better play --> attitude or attitude --> better play.  

I've mentioned this before, and I know it's a long shot, but I still wouldn't be shocked to eventually learn that Semin might be suffering from clinical depression.  IF so (yeah, that's a huge "IF"),  you can understand why he, as well as the team, might not advertise the fact.  SOMETHING is definitely wrong with Semin this year.  I wonder if we'll ever find out what it is?      

Edited by LakeLivin

Well I've been a huge Semin fan until the wheels came off his game. That tiny window where Semin/E/Tlusty was rolling was magical. Semin drove that. His talent is sick.

But it is relevatant that he is being paid to produce and is so far off it that he is easily the the most overpaid player in the NHL. The fact that he is grossly overpaid for his production is a major detriment to the team because he cannot be traded (probably), and teams must get roughly the producitivity they pay for to be successful in this league.

Injuries are kept under wraps all the time. How many times have we found out  later that a player had been "playing through" an injury that probably should have put him out. Semin himself last year, and E. a couple of times. The player himself might hide stuff also. A bad back, etc.

This year's Semin with recent exceptions fell so far off the mark that hockey novices have noticed. It is so starkly obvious that not admitting it is a bit odd.

IMO all the SPECULATION about injury or his mental state is pure nonsense.  I can't recall a single instance in any sport where a coach has called out a player who was actually injured.  If he has a "mental" issue they'd be sensitive about their employee.

IMO Peters is a real character guy, and expects that from his squad.  For him to call out Semin for "not moving his legs" speaks volumes.  As far as I recall Semin has not had a reported "lower body injury" this year.

I'll concede that Semin's style (and skill) don't reflect the appearance of pure hustle.  I don't care about that appearance, and it didn't matter when he produced in the lockout season.  This season has a different look than that productive partial season.

At the end of warmup last night, Faulk was feeding Semin pucks at the top of the left circle. He lasered every last one of them in the net (about 15). The last couple of games I do see more effort and results. Maybe he has been told he needs to show in the last 20 games why the Canes should not buy him out. Would love to get back the player we had in the strike season for 3 more years, and the talent is there, but his history here and in Washingto does not make me very hopeful.

There has been mention by I think his agent of back issues. We know he had a wrist fracture last year that was not revealed until later and offeseason surgery. JR called him out during that time. It is not always as black and white.

That said, I agree that it is all speculation. The only thing for sure is that this year has fallen so far off the mark that even "bad" Semin, the guy that got all the grief in Washington and part of last year, was 10X better than this year's Semin. So if he has not been injured, then clinical depression or just giving up, just flat out hockey lazy is all that is left. He has 2 goals for crying out loud.

I have also been one to point out in the past that Semin's game is so skilled that some of his apparent lack of effort is that, but this year has taken floating to a whole new level.

Edited by remkin

Coastal, I've seen the rumours on Semin a couple times, about either buying him out or retaining a bunch of salary in a trade. I am very much against doing either one of those things though. This team has too much of a history of selling players at their lowest points or paying them to score on us, as Sucka pointed pointed out. Again, this is very similar to Ward last year, which we smartly avoided doing something like giving up a high pick, and instead let him find his game again. Why was it OK for Ward to be given that chance but not Semin, especially when he seems to be trending up lately? I find the double standard there ridiculous. 

His play has been terrible this year, but like I said I can think of quite a few reasons that it makes sense to me. Between the injuries, surgery on the most important part of his body for his game, being placed on a short lease while trying to adjust to a new coach and system, and therefore a lack of confidence. A 30 year old with multiple successful NHL seasons has a lot harder time trying to completely change the game he's always played than a still developing 22 year old does. "Old habits die hard." Suddenly he's on a short lease (haven't seen the hammer on others like Skinner or EStaal before J came back) scratched, moved around, loses confidence, so he stops playing his game, makes the safe play that's low risk-low reward, and his production drops. Instead of following the path, we use the end result (less points) as proof that the original thoughts on him must be true (lazy, doesn't care). Self fulfilling prophecy.  

I thinks its quite unfair to expect him to live up to the point totals we wanted when signing him to an extension, because his role, the system, everything has changed. So you have to make the choice: do you want him playing to perfectly fit into Peters system, or do you want him playing his game where he's capable of 85 points? It doesn't make sense to expect both when the variables around him have all changed. Now, I completely agree you still have to expect some sort of production, but that seems to be sorting itself out more lately as he gets a better fit in Peters system. Again, with a short sample size its on the right track. 

I linked quite a few articles (there's many more out there) that break down his time in Washington, and do a great job of disproving all the BS that is tossed around at the guy. Including consistently being among the best at puck possession, even strength scoring rates even when given 3rd line duty, improving the play of those around him, and amazingly, being their best at limiting opposition chances on the PK for 3 straight years. It sure seems like a lot on this board aren't fans of the whole #fancystats thing, as whenever numbers come up showing he's doing better than we think, its shot down on here. With that in mind, I found this a very interesting read:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=754099&navid=nhl:topheads 

One of my favourite parts of the article points out a problem with using only the eye test and ignoring the underlying numbers, like we want to do with Semin. It mentions that there is too much info for us to keep track of and process, as well as a flaw. If you've been to a magic show, you've seen something with your eyes (like the rabbit out of the hat) that you know to not be true or possible. Sometimes your eyes alone can't be trusted. This especially lends itself well to Semin's game, which is so much different than the conventional way that people are taught to play. Letting the play come to him, not skating end to end all out can be seen as lazy or wrong, when the numbers show what he does is largely successful in the long run. Amplify that with someone watching having pre-conceived notions about the guy (lazy, doesn't care, etc) and deciding to key on the mistakes or bad parts of his game, and this is what you get. 

Its one thing to not agree with how the guy plays, or to think it doesn't fit on this team. Its a completely different thing to attack the guy's character and continue to spread accusations. It worth at least a discussion, as there seems to actually be a few different sides and viewpoints here rather than the one sided hate the last couple months. And if the team and fans have all given up on him already (seems pretty likely) then why wouldn't he quit by now? Most people would do the same, I can't blame him if that's the case.