The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Whaler1

The Semin Enigma....

I can buy into the above or believe all 30 NHL GMs.  One wants to sell and the other 29 won't take such a gift.

We can all agree to assess Semin differently, Yes, even with our own eyes.  Right now I'm seeing what 30 GMs are.

The big differences between Semin this year, and Ward last year are, Ward was fighting injuries, and he was trying as hard as he could. Cam was clearly frustrated by his play last season, and had several displays of emotion. Semin has had way too many shifts this season where he has just drifted around. There has been a lot of talk about not fitting in Peters system, but a guy that works hard and is capable of putting up 50 points, should fit in any system. I think there are several reasons for his poor play: he is injured, he is satisfied with collecting a paycheck, or he dosen't give a flip. If it is the last two, he needs to go.

My crystal ball says Semin will be okay next year...well, maybe it's more of a wishing star than a crystal ball, but we're stuck with him so we might as well start hoping for the best.

I thinks its quite unfair to expect him to live up to the point totals we wanted when signing him to an extension, because his role, the system, everything has changed. So you have to make the choice: do you want him playing to perfectly fit into Peters system, or do you want him playing his game where he's capable of 85 points? 

I think Peters would let Semin perform triple salchow's with roman candles protruding from his arss if he could put up 85 pts.

Made me look up what the hell a salchow was....

Then I watched Nancy Kerrigan explain it.....

Feel like I got Rick Rolled without Rick.

Sask did you really ask why there would be a double standard between Ward and Semin? Okay, one was drafted by the Canes, one was not. One has been with the team 10+ years, one has not. One has been a workhorse goalie for most of the last 10 years, starting 70 games many years and one has not. Oh, and one carried us to a Stanley Cup and won the Conn Smythe trophy, and the other did not.

And one had one good shortened season and has done nothing since while the other sponsors a suite at all home games for underprivileged folks and has been a fantastic representative of the organization in the community. The other will not even speak to the press. I could go on, but I think the point is made.

Feel like I got Rick Rolled without Rick.

I looked up salchow. :huh:

Then I looked up Rick Rolled too. :o  Too bad it was too late^

I understood Roman Candles.

Where do I sign up to watch this?

Edited by coastal_caniac

As critical as I have been on Semin's play, I honestly think I'd put him with the Staals for the duration just to see if anything comes of it. He has no value now. Let's see what a steady dose of top line play brings. He isn't a bottom 6 forward.

Edited by super_dave_1

It's Edmonton, my daughter could be a positive game changer against them...as long as you change her during the intermissions.

I think he has. He had producing ad of late on a regular basis. I think he was injured most of the season.

I had postulated that early on, but took serous heat for it. I still think you may be right. Given that we can't trade him, might as well keep trying to unlock the enigma. He has looked better of late. I thought he started looking better after that last prolonged benching.

Lots of ifs for lots of years, but if Semin can find even most of his potential game...ah can't even go there, but again, this is all based on the untradable part. Just so much skill. That goal from his back? Really?

Look, if someone would make us some kind of offer for Semin, fine. I get that his style of play has been disengaged, but the guy has been a PPG player near the top of his team in consecutive years in plus minus, will he get there again? I dont' know, but if he did....buying him out would be a tough choice.

Edited by remkin

Let's don't jump the gun and give Semin the keys to the city just yet.

Let's wait and see if he disappears tomorrow playing against a "heavy" team like Columbus.

You could have driven a Mack truck through the Oils D.

Actually, let's see how he does through the entirety of the last 17 games.  I hope he can continue to pick it up, but this disappear for 5 games and show up for 1 game act doesn't exactly scream consistency.

Show me.  I want the PPG Semin.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Let's don't jump the gun and give Semin the keys to the city just yet.

Let's wait and see if he disappears tomorrow playing against a "heavy" team like Columbus.

You could have driven a Mack truck through the Oils D.

Actually, let's see how he does through the entirety of the last 17 games.  I hope he can continue to pick it up, but this disappear for 5 games and show up for 1 game act doesn't exactly scream consistency.

Show me.  I want the PPG Semin.

Agreed, a game or two doesn't make up for the rest of the season.  

The positive thing to me is that at least they show that Semin still has IT in him (whatever that is), which I was starting to doubt.  The question now is: how often can (does?) he pull IT out?  . . . uhn, wait, that doesn't sound quite right  :huh:  

Edited by LakeLivin