The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Whaler1

The Semin Enigma....

We Canes fans are plenty forgiving and love a reclamation story. Sasha is very talented and I would love nothing more then a healthy and engaged Semin regaining his form. But at this point a few good games isn't enough for me to cry out that Sasha is back. I wanted us to go get him, I pulled for him to show the critics wrong, I have made excuses for him but for awhile now it's been show me time and not just one great goal in one game.

The best thing for the Canes and Semin is he skates like the talent he is in both good and difficult times.  Claim it Sasha, we will be here if you do but until then will be watching with a skeptical eye, at least I will.

Just to be clear from my end. I'm not handing Semin the keys to the City. JR did that already. (Staals got keys to the entire Kingdom).

I'm just saying now that he has the keys, our position is different. Everything is in that context.

IF (yeah, that's a huge if!) Semin turns it around at this point in the season, I think it will be pretty strong evidence that something physical was contributing to his @%#$ play the rest of the year.  Even if that does happens, I'll still be a believer that his previous play was a combination of whatever malady and Semin's personality.  Even hurt, I can't envision someone like Gerbe going through the motions the same way that Semin has.

Edited by LakeLivin

A couple of weeks ago, some were optimistic over a better game by the Enigma. Now, not so much.

Other than just casually hanging around, away from the action (he's open...a lot), when he is engaged with the puck, he will make a bad pass to get it away from him whenever a defender gets on him on the boards. He really does have to be dealt with over the summer. The best part of his shift is when he wanders back to the bench. I feel sorry for whoever is on the ice on his line.

Edited by super_dave_1

Yeah, I was, I think it's been even longer though. But the optimsim with Semin has always been couched as more "hope" than change.

It appears that the dire warnings from some in Washington and some national medial are looking to be correct about him. It is just so strange. He holds the talent but just can't or won't access it. Now perhaps the worst contract in the NHL.

At least with Eric one can speculate on trading him, even with the NTC.

If anyone knows what his deal is, no one is saying. Probably no one knows. except maybe him and maybe his agent.

The thing is something has to be wrong. Maybe he's just nuts, but something is keeping him from any significant attempt to be an NHL player.

Bleacher Report has a piece on each teams most disappointing player. Want to venture a guess at who the poster boy for that piece is?http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2401385-every-nhl-teams-most-disappointing-player-in-the-2014-15-season

After all the hype it is weird to see McKinnon and Drouin on that list. I think both players will be fine, it's just strange.

After Semin, I don't think there is much doubt as to who #2 is. Cam Atkinson is listed as the Blue Jackets most disappointing player and his point total (16G, 14A) is the same as Skinner's and he makes about 2.75 million less per year.

If not for Semin, then #53 would likely have been our guy.

Eric's salary may also have put him in the running.

Edited by Kyrule

One thing I wanted to mention is that I was having trouble with Gamecenter Hurricanes feed so I listened to the Rangers for a bit.

Sam Rosen said he talked with Peters and that "everyone was under evaluation, and that Peters said that he has seen/learned some things about certain players and that they won't be back."

What that really means who knows, but it was interesting that he said "they won't be back."

It could mean our lower contract guys, but hopefully he was talking about some of our highly paid players.

They went on to talk about our dilemma with Semin and said they don't expect him to be with the team next year, whether through buyout, trade with retained salary, or sending him to the minors."

Much of what has already been said here.

Edited by Kyrule

One thing I wanted to mention is that I was having trouble with Gamecenter Hurricanes feed so I listened to the Rangers for a bit.

Sam Rosen said he talked with Peters and that "everyone was under evaluation, and that Peters said that he has seen/learned some things about certain players and that they won't be back."

What that really means who knows, but it was interesting that he said "they won't be back."

It could mean our lower contract guys, but hopefully he was talking about some of our highly paid players.

They went on to talk about our dilemma with Semin and said they don't expect him to be with the team next year, whether through buyout, trade with retained salary, or sending him to the minors."

Much of what has already been said here.

Interesting. Just so I'm sure, Ky, you mean the NY announcers went on to talk about Semin and made that conclusion - or did it happen in conversation with Peters? If the latter, it's music to my ears.

There is no advantage in sending Semin down. PK still has to pay him all his money. No GM in the league is going to take him over the summer at 50% retained (would you? I wouldn't). That only leaves buyout, and I think that is what happens. I know, I know. It isn't PKs MO to do that, but it's the only way to get rid of him.

Interesting. Just so I'm sure, Ky, you mean the NY announcers went on to talk about Semin and made that conclusion - or did it happen in conversation with Peters? If the latter, it's music to my ears.

They talked about it independently unfortunately, but the talk about Semin immediately followed the talk about the conversation with Peters. I wish those comments were made about Semin by Peters, but no coach is going to say a player won't be back next year. They leave that to management in the offseason.

It would have been music to my ears as well.

Super-Dave, I'm not 100% positive Rosen and Micholetti talked about sending him down for sure. I am sure they talked about a buyout or a trade with retained salary. Then they talked about how it would be difficult to move him with that contract.

Again, this is all stuff we know. One scenario they didn't mention was trading for another toxic contract, which has been mentioned here.

Oh, and they also said Cam Ward lost 15 pounds due to his recent illness/flu. No wonder we haven't seen him, not to mention the time it takes for you to get your strength back.

Edited by Kyrule

Semin is poison.  At some point PK has to do a cost evaluation.  How much is he costing in terms of fanbase confidence.  How many butts in the seats are NOT coming due to Semin's poison affecting the play of the team?  PK is a businessman.  If he has to buy him out, this is one thing I think he may actually do, once he makes an evaluation that Semin here is costing more than Semin gone.

As for Cam, Forslund said 10 pounds.  10, 15.  What difference?  Sounded like a Gerber type flu from 2006.  Pretty nasty.

Semin is poison.  At some point PK has to do a cost evaluation.  How much is he costing in terms of fanbase confidence.  How many butts in the seats are NOT coming due to Semin's poison affecting the play of the team?  PK is a businessman.  If he has to buy him out, this is one thing I think he may actually do, once he makes an evaluation that Semin here is costing more than Semin gone.

Buy him out and save $7 mil. It's simple math to me. Sucks to have to pay him $14 mil to not play, but it sucks even more to pay him $21 mil to be this team's Anthrax.

Semin has to go.  Period.

Maybe he will be run over by a train in the offseason (sarcasm alert, so don't get your panties in a wad).

Short of that, just buy him out and move on.

It's quite apparent all the excuses people were throwing out there for his play were just that. Excuses.  Can't speak English, misunderstood, misses his wife, wrist injury, lower body injury, blah, blah, blah.

I've seen enough.  Get to the business at hand PK.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Maybe he will be run over by a train in the offseason (sarcasm alert, so don't get your panties in a wad).

Maybe they can hire this guy...

blah.gif

Funny if you know who it is. If you don't, I'm not explaining.

Maybe they can hire this guy...

blah.gif

Funny if you know who it is. If you don't, I'm not explaining.

Mike!

On a non-hockey related note, Better Call Saul looks like a keeper! 

It's really gotten down to the micro. That is, what do you do with Semin in the remaining games of this year? I guess there was some kind of hope that we would get lucky and he'd find some kind of game making him potentially tradable. Don't get me wrong, I mean we send Semin and Nash and two prospects somewhere and retain some salary and get a 6th round pick type of deal.

But that ain't happening. Semin is simply mostly useless. Funny he occasionally dives for a puck, or makes a nice pass, but then loses the puck 5 times. This is the video dictionary of the definition for the term: "going through the motions."

I guess at this point we need losses, so whatever, but I would think at some point, when it is obvious that we are locked into picking #5 that they just waive him. Symbolic mostly. But if a buyout is coming, make the symbol. Symbols matter sometimes.

Edited by remkin

Mike!

I think if we could get Mike to talk to Semin for a bit, he might change his ways, or disappear into a barrel of acid, buried in the desert.

Once again, don't wad up your panties. This is sarcasm...somewhat. I don't want him to be harmed, just go away...far away...never to be seen again. I hear Russia has some vast, barren areas in Siberia that he could wander around in, like he wanders around on the ice.

Edited by super_dave_1

Mike!

On a non-hockey related note, Better Call Saul looks like a keeper! 

Amen, and amen. "This team needs Mikes." My entry in the Spring 2015 Canes Fans' Slogan Contest.

(Sure beats "Experience Canes Hockey"!)

They talked about it independently unfortunately, but the talk about Semin immediately followed the talk about the conversation with Peters. I wish those comments were made about Semin by Peters, but no coach is going to say a player won't be back next year. They leave that to management in the offseason.

It would have been music to my ears as well.

Normally yes, but at this point I'm thinking BP has permission to say whatever he wants to about Semin if he thinks it'll light a fire under his butt. What we're dealing with in his case is common knowledge all over the league, anyway.

You guys have it all wrong with Semin....

For the quite some time he has been THE key part of SRM.  Complete assurance Canes won't score.

He'll be gone next year once SRM is behind us.