The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Whaler1

The Semin Enigma....

I am sure the Ice Crew is pretty pissed with you right about now  :coollaugh:

Nothing much to add. Semin skates with the same level of intensity that the ice crew does. I don't know how the wrist injury affects that. Some say he is an easy target and singled out where others have been allowed to get by. I don't remember anyone that has that level of ability, and who has played as poorly or lackadaisically.

Sorry if I offended any members of the ice crew.

This team, this year, plays better w/ Semin out. 

This team however, as today showed, needs more grade A, elite scorers. 

Semin can be that. 

Such a shame.

I hope he figures it out.

Semin is a career sniper who won't shoot.  The only thing that makes sense to me is his wrist is still hurting.

That shouldn't effect his skates, though.  I wonder if his own identity is so much as a scorer that maybe he's demoralized to the point he's not doing anything else?  Maybe clinical depression?  No excuses, especially at $7m, but those are the only things I can think of. :letssee:

I just hope he figures it out before the clinical depression settles in on us.

Semin is a career sniper who won't shoot.  The only thing that makes sense to me is his wrist is still hurting.

That shouldn't effect his skates, though.  I wonder if his own identity is so much as a scorer that maybe he's demoralized to the point he's not doing anything else?  Maybe clinical depression?  No excuses, especially at $7m, but those are the only things I can think of. :letssee:

Kyrule, that's not what that article suggested at all. Semin and Vermette were talked about as different trade targets by their own teams with no suggestion of any trade between Colorado and Carolina. Maybe you just read the title and not the article?

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/rumor-roundup-hurricanes-semin-coyotes-vermette-talk-of-trade-market/#more-25497

Anyway, I don't think he is tradeable regardless

Coastal, I haven't posted in days, I tend to do that during losing streaks. Obviously you meant Kjun. No big deal, just wanted to clear that up. I really don't put anything into trade rumors as 99% of the time they prove false. I guess all of these "insiders" have to try to make a name for themselves.

I just checked back in and saw that Seargent Cathcart (who skated with the Canes a year or two ago) was killed in the line of duty in Afghanistan. That really sucks. I have a lot of family involved in the military. I don't want to high-jack this thread but I just had to post my feelings and condolences.

Like the article says, the word "hero" gets thrown around too easily sometimes. Definitely not in this case.

Another edit. Just saw that Kjun already cleared this up. Sorry.

Edited by Kyrule

Is it possible for the Canes to send Semin to Charlotte for a "conditioning stint" if his issues are between his ears? (and the always mysterious "upper body injury?")

It might do him some good. Can't hurt.

Edited by hopper915

I've not been embarrassed about having a player on our roster too many times.

Currently, I'm embarrassed to have Semin.

He plays with about 30% of the effort of his teammates, if that, and consistently.

I can't honestly see how anybody can defend the guys individual play.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I don't think there are many left around here defending Semin. A few I suppose. I think there are quite a few of us wondering what the heck is going on with him.

Is he hurt, is he trying not to get hurt, is he trying to work out a deal to go home, does he think he is being traded, is his confidence gone. Probable a dozen more unanswered questions.

An engaged Sasha would be better for the team but at this point none of it matters to me. Its decision time for the team and for Semin. For me its time for him to wake up and play or take a hike.

Unfortunately, when we signed Semin, teams were avoiding him despite the flashes of being an elite player

he showed early in his career. Washington was sometimes playing him on the 4th line his last year there, and made no effort to re-sign him. In the strike year, he plays on a one-year show me contract and is impressive. Then he gets a 5 year contract for big $$. I hope there is an injury or something else that explains Semin's play, but I am afraid he is just disinterested. This one is on JR. A 2 year contract wouldhave been plenty. With next year's contract on the line, I think we would be seeing a different player.

Maybe, just maybe, he doesn't understand our new system? That it might be taking him longer to figure it out. And I imagine it's a bit harder when you speak little english. Yes he has Khudobin who may be able to translate a bit, but some players take longer to acclimate to changes in the team's strategy. I'll defend Semin. He's responded to being called out before, and he will again.

Anton, whose been in North America roughly just as long as Semin should translate to Semin? If Anton understands English good enough to translate it what is Semin's excuse for not knowing English?

Then there's Lindholm whose 19 and already capable of stumbling through interviews. So I have a real hard time (if that's his or your excuse) buying that one. He's 30, saying he still doesn't know English just supports the claim he's lazy and now we have something to point to off the ice as well as on.

Edited by legend-1

Anton, whose been in North America roughly just as long as Semin should translate to Semin? If Anton understands English good enough to translate it what is Semin's excuse for not knowing English?

Then there's Lindholm whose 19 and already capable of stumbling through interviews. So I have a real hard time (if that's his or your excuse) buying that one. He's 30, saying he still doesn't know English just supports the claim he's lazy and now we have something to point to off the ice as well as on.

Way to focus on one small point I made and say that's my "excuse" for Semin's play. I'd say it is much more likely he's struggling understanding how to play under a new coach and adjusting his game accordingly than him just not wanting to try, or not wanting to get injured, or being bored, collecting his paycheck, etc etc. 

Players have struggled consistently in this organization for several consecutive years, why is it such a huge stink that Semin is struggling now? It may seem like he just doesn't care, but the main word here is "seem". You can speculate all you want just as I do as to why, but no one knows what is going on. 

Way to focus on one small point I made and say that's my "excuse" for Semin's play. I'd say it is much more likely he's struggling understanding how to play under a new coach and adjusting his game accordingly than him just not wanting to try, or not wanting to get injured, or being bored, collecting his paycheck, etc etc. 

Players have struggled consistently in this organization for several consecutive years, why is it such a huge stink that Semin is struggling now? It may seem like he just doesn't care, but the main word here is "seem". You can speculate all you want just as I do as to why, but no one knows what is going on. 

It happens around here, Sucka. I dared raise the possibility that the other 19 guys on the team might also have some responsibility for the lack of scoring - ya think?? - and was quickly accused of "defending" Semin's indefensible play, which I called "abysmal" in the VERY SAME POST. 

Few take the time to actually read, fewer still to comprehend. T'was ever thus.

The good news: Nothing cures everything like a 6-2 come-from-behind win :)

It was only a small point in his post because I disagreed, had I agreed he'd of been on that like a fly on poop.

If you post something no matter how miniscule then be prepared to debate it. In this case I disagree, it was 1 line out of a barely reaching 4 line post. The entire post in itself was miniscule.

Maybe I comprehended your post wrong but the score was 6-4.

Edited by legend-1

The 6-4 come from behind win (reading comprehension is wonderful isn't it?) hasn't seemed to cure Semin's "issues".

4:37, 3:55, 2:20 TOI in the first, second, and third periods, respectively.  Second lowest TOI on the team behind Zach Boychuk. 

Except for the one shot, he didn't even show up on the boxscore, again.  Only guy in the top-9 without a point.

And how hard is it to figure out the PP?  I mean really, for such an offensive dynamo, it appears he isn't even engaged enough to be trusted on the ice with the man advantage?  Not really seeing an excuse for this, but folks are creative.

And the reason people are seemingly making this such a huge stink, besides the fact he sucks, is someone decided to focus solely on Alex Semin by creating this thread.  That's where your posing, BTW.

Edited by coastal_caniac

We did comeback at ta 6-2 pace after giving up the first two.

Semin looked like the same Semin to me. Simply not engaging.

15 possible scoring points, he didn't even manage a secondary assist.

Just sad.

It was only a small point in his post because I disagreed, had I agreed he'd of been on that like a fly on poop.

If you post something no matter how miniscule then be prepared to debate it. In this case I disagree, it was 1 line out of a barely reaching 4 line post. The entire post in itself was miniscule.

Maybe I comprehended your post wrong but the score was 6-4.

Thanks for the score correction, legend. It's been a long week with a lot of "windshield time" and staying up for that game probably didn't help :)

As for the other stuff, too many folks here "read posts" by "reading" a sentence or two. Then they hit reply. Not saying that's the case with you, but one thing is for sure: Nothing anyone says or posts will EVER change the fact that that every night, our bench has 20 guys on it, and whether we like it or not, Semin is probably going to be one of those guys for the foreseeable future.

The 6-4 come from behind win (reading comprehension is wonderful isn't it?) hasn't seemed to cure Semin's "issues".

4:37, 3:55, 2:20 TOI in the first, second, and third periods, respectively.  Second lowest TOI on the team behind Zach Boychuk. 

Except for the one shot, he didn't even show up on the boxscore, again.  Only guy in the top-9 without a point.

And how hard is it to figure out the PP?  I mean really, for such an offensive dynamo, it appears he isn't even engaged enough to be trusted on the ice with the man advantage?  Not really seeing an excuse for this, but folks are creative.

And the reason people are seemingly making this such a huge stink, besides the fact he sucks, is someone decided to focus solely on Alex Semin by creating this thread.  That's where your posing, BTW.

Maybe the win didn't cure Semin's issues, but I'm beginning to think our issues are worse than his. The thread title is "The Semin Enigma," not "Bash Alex Here" - so I (and apparently others) figured it was a discussion thread, i.e., discussing Alex's "issues" and what's going on with him, versus a place to just post "Wow, isn't he bad?" "Yup, he sure is!" and "Hey, he's still bad, huh?!" and "No doubt about it!"

So I'll try again.

Chuck K. made a good point (I thought) last night, that Semin is one of those guys with skills so great it can be a burden (when it's going badly) as much as it can be a benefit (when things are good), because he just doesn't do what linemates expect. TO BE CLEAR, Chuck was using Semin as another example of such a player; his subject at the time was a Stars player. But his point is a good one: guys like Semin who not only have game-changing skills but the creativity to do outside-the-box things with them really are (as this topic's title suggests) enigmas. 

Alex Semin isn't "bad." He's playing really, really, badly - but I'm betting the hockey skills of everyone on this board put together don't match those in Semin's little finger. So I'll say it again: If Alex Semin scores goals and/or has points in, say, each of the next five games, or just has a multiple point game ("just" - like that's easy in this league!) this discussion will be over. As far as I'm concerned, the sooner the better, because just bashing the guy makes us all sound like old women gossiping while playing mahjong.

JR made this bed and RF has to lie in it (along with the rest of us), and if that means we have a $7 million fourth-line winger until he breaks out of his slump, that's what it means. 

Maybe the win didn't cure Semin's issues, but I'm beginning to think our issues are worse than his. The thread title is "The Semin Enigma," not "Bash Alex Here" - so I (and apparently others) figured it was a discussion thread, i.e., discussing Alex's "issues" and what's going on with him, versus a place to just post "Wow, isn't he bad?" "Yup, he sure is!" and "Hey, he's still bad, huh?!" and "No doubt about it!"

The problem is you continue to post snide, and generally look-down-your-nose comments and assign those comments generally to all posters, for example, see "few take the time to actually read, fewer still to comprehend" in your above post, and then the bolded in your current post.  Neither is the case. You are right though, I stop reading a post at that point.

You have your own opinion, which is great. Let others have theirs, even if you don't agree, particularly those of us who actually take the time to preface their comments with the actual results of Semin's play, and the coaches decisions on how to use him, as an index to his performance.

I agree he's playing badly, but I've never once applauded his effort as a reason we won the game, or assign blame to him individually for a loss.  It's a collective effort, regardless of the outcome.

Personally, I think his biggest issue is consistent effort all over the ice, and with improvement in that one aspect of his game, I believe he can be more productive in Peter's system and help the team going forward.

That doesn't negate the fact, and based on the results of the games, that he's not engaged.  Maybe the guy just isn't coachable?

Thanks,

coastal

Edited by coastal_caniac

"Semins" as BP calls him does have tremendous talent. I don't know what the problem is or what the answer is.BP's system is very North/South and very fast paced up tempo and Semin often is very East/West. I think the system is causing difficulties for him but it does not excuse the lack of engagement along the boards or the turnovers. Alex typically likes to hold the puck and look for the perfect pass.The game is so fast paced these days that the passing lanes close within a second and Alex is late with his passes. Has the speed of the game overpowered Alex's style of play? Alex has never been a speed skater (even in his best years) and likes to float around the rim.In the Washington days his line mates used to find him alone on the rim and Alex would snipe a goal. Ovechkin used to do the same often and occasionally still does,but the majority of the time he is in the thick of the game, checking,hitting,skating, shooting. Does Semin need to change his style drastically to survive?

Top shelf, thank you for your insightful discussion on Semin. I did not copy your message, but wanted to let you know that I fully agree with every word you've said!!

Alex Semin was and is a true enigma, but when JR got him, everyone on this board knew, or should have known his reputation. To all his critics, just one question, do you really think that simply transplanting him 500 miles away front a "center of constant hatred" that had evolved would change him and his unorthodox, misunderstood hockey style?

I recall when he was 1st brought into our system, that there was universal agreement on this board, that the Capital fan base was way offbase in it's malignment of this man. We were going to be his "saviors". Where have all those sentiments gone? What stinks to me, is the very thought that we have become them, and I truly despise the Capitals, particularly the "Gr8" led Capitals(but that's a story for another rant).

Now I fully realize and profess that WHEN and if this season turns around, this nitpicking angst, even against #28 will subside, and Sasha is not helping his cause at present. But, he has extreme talent if he can find his way. I, for one, am rooting for him.

It's funny how every one of these threads focusing on one player (or two, as in the goalie thread) always turn out the same way.  :lol:

On one side, you have the bad, bad posters who are accused of player bashing and not having a real discussion, and on the other side you have those who end up sounding like they are making excuses for why they are making excuses (even though they are just having an opinion just like the other side).

So predictable.  And I've been on both sides so not throwing stones here.

Edited by coastal_caniac

It's funny how every one of these threads focusing on one player (or two, as in the goalie thread) always turn out the same way.  :lol:

On one side, you have the bad, bad posters who are accused of player bashing and not having a real discussion, and on the other side you have those who end up sounding like they are making excuses for why they are making excuses (even though they are just having an opinion just like the other side).

So predictable.  And I've been on both sides so not throwing stones here.

[/quote

Coastal, even though you posted this following my opinion expression, I do not think you aimed your response at me!!

As to my intent, as I'm often wont to do, I simply was attempting to make some sense out of the swirling waters of this present controversy, and truly believe that many on here share in my own frayed sensitivities which 5 years of being irrelevant(used that term before) and seemingly headed in the same direction, prior to these brief spurts of hope like last night, to calm passions. Proverbial "peacemaker" so to speak.

Thus, my rant was not intended to either criticize or quash the honest passions displayed on this board, but merely to frame these expressions in some type of framework.

Additionally, as if you or anyone else could not tell, I have no "love loss" for the Washington Capitals, and do not like to see us going down that same path of criticism heaped on Sasha. AS stated frequently, he is not helping his cause, but is it because he simply cannot adopt to Peters' system, or because we Caniacs are just super sensitive to all perceived faults of anyone on our team, and thus easily focused an an "enigma"?

Edited by KJUNKANE