The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Whaler1

The Semin Enigma....

Thank god it wasn't his wrist, or back, or legs. or being misunderstood, or the language barrier..............

[Don Cherry]YA SHOUDA SIGNED A GOOD ONTARIO BOY, NOT DAT LAZY RUSSIAN. I'M SPINNING IN MY OWN GRAVE RIGHT NOW[/Don Cherry]

Thank god it wasn't his wrist, or back, or legs. or being misunderstood, or the language barrier..............

Wasn't it Rose Ann Roseanadana the said " If it wasn't one thing,it's another"

[Don Cherry]YA SHOUDA SIGNED A GOOD ONTARIO BOY, NOT DAT LAZY RUSSIAN. I'M SPINNING IN MY OWN GRAVE RIGHT NOW[/Don Cherry]

Grapes has been spot on with a lot of things...Matt Cooke being one.

Alex, Really !!!

ProHockeyTalk

Semin’s agent says he’s closing in on a deal, critiques Bill Peters by James O'Brien

His buyout was under unique circumstances and the (Hurricanes) coach did not understand Sasha’s game.”

I don't recall Sasha having much of a game last season, thats what I don't understand.

That pretty much says to all the Semin jock sniffers what his actual value was and how the GM's in the league valued him.  No was was GMRF going to be able to trade him.

Lets see if history repeats itself, Alex scores 30goals this year and is a hero in montreal, signs extension and stinks it up. Either way he is still very rich, which is what is most important to him I'm sure. couple mil from Carolina for next 4 yrs, a mil from Montreal this year, 21mil in the bank from Carolina last 3 years, Alex gets the last laugh.

Ya know?  I really believed that the "coach killer" moniker was created by a bunch of moronic Craps fans who were too busy sniffing Ovi's jock to really appreciate the fact they had a great #2 guy on their team who had a decent scoring upside.  Turns out they were proven right.  Flash in the pan with Eric and Tlusty for ***three weeks in*** one season...then a ghost.

Fixed it for ya. :)

Alex Semin: Just a bust.

Edited by top-shelf-1

(Psst. Dude: He's not dead yet.)

Alex, Really !!!

ProHockeyTalk

Semin’s agent says he’s closing in on a deal, critiques Bill Peters by James O'Brien

I don't recall Sasha having much of a game last season, thats what I don't understand.

PETERS didn't understand Sasha's game? For cryin' out loud... SASHA DOESN'T UNDERSTAND SASHA'S GAME!!!

PETERS didn't understand Sasha's game? For cryin' out loud... SASHA DOESN'T UNDERSTAND SASHA'S GAME!!!

This is one of the truest statements I've ever read on this board.

The quotes from Semin's agent in the link above leave no doubt that he was a cancer on the team and that the Hurricanes had no reasonable option but to buy him out. Despite his undeniable talent, he has now flamed out with 2 NHL teams. I guess Montreal is not taking much *financial* risk on a 1 year contract for $1.1 million. Team chemistry risk, we'll see.

Analysis of the Semin signing from the much maligned Eklund on Hockey Buzz:

"The Montreal Canadiens have signed Alexander Semin. So yeah, that happened.

In all seriousness this is a signing that could turn into a great one; If Semin decides he still wants to play hockey at the level he can. If Semin can stand the scrutiny of Montreal. If Michel Therrien ever playshim. He is essentially the opposite of a Therrien type of player.

And yet he is a temptation.

I know that Alexei Kovalev, a player whose work ethic was always somewhat questioned, was beloved in Montreal. But Semin's effort makes Kovalev look Jonathan Toews."

And yet he is a temptation.

Yep.  Like Meth or Heroin.  When it is good, it is good.  You wonder why you haven't always done this!  You are on top of the freakin' world!  You can do *ANYTHING*.

But man, that day of reckoning is the pits.  You've just lost a ton of money and don't know where to go.

Glad RF got us into rehab.  Sorry to hear someone else got tempted by the pusher man.

Edited by wxray1

Just to be clear, the quote comes from Eklund's take on the Semin signing. They are not mine. I was happy he was bought out, and even moreso after reading what his agent said about Peters'use of Semin in Carolina.

I love the way ALL the pundits have concluded that the Semin signing is "low risk". Now as a qualifier to what I'm about to opine, let me quickly say that I for one loved when JR signed Sasha, and really thought the resigning was a real coup on his part as evidenced by his output during the shortened season. 7 years seemed a bit much, but at the time, it looked as if we'd finally hit upopn Eric's perfect "foil" that it seemed we had searched for years for.

My thinking also went that I thought at the time that the Washington press was totally off base with their slanted view of this player,labelling him as a malcontent as well as an enigma, simply because he was unable to or desired not to converse with them.

Then the worm turned so to speak, and whether due to injury, marital bliss or some unknown phenomenon, he reverted to the player that Caps fans knew and loved. 

Still, make no mistake, up to the very end, I funneled all my psychic power into his shifts, and will always recall that one special moment when he finally scored. All in attendance that night let out one of the biggest roars I'd seen outside of a playoff game(having trouble even recalling those anymore).

All that said, and even wishing Sasha the best, there is Risk involved with this signing. Yes, should he score 15-20 goals, at the rate he was signed, this would be labeled "brilliant". But what I wonder about is how Alex's presence will affect the locker room and behind the scenes player comraderie? So, there's the risk, but I suppose time will tell?

That pretty much says to all the Semin jock sniffers what his actual value was and how the GM's in the league valued him.  No was was GMRF going to be able to trade him.

Are there such people still out there? Seems like there was pretty much a consensus in here that Semin didn't have much value . . .

I love the way ALL the pundits have concluded that the Semin signing is "low risk". Now as a qualifier to what I'm about to opine, let me quickly say that I for one loved when JR signed Sasha, and really thought the resigning was a real coup on his part as evidenced by his output during the shortened season. 7 years seemed a bit much, but at the time, it looked as if we'd finally hit upopn Eric's perfect "foil" that it seemed we had searched for years for.

My thinking also went that I thought at the time that the Washington press was totally off base with their slanted view of this player,labelling him as a malcontent as well as an enigma, simply because he was unable to or desired not to converse with them.

Then the worm turned so to speak, and whether due to injury, marital bliss or some unknown phenomenon, he reverted to the player that Caps fans knew and loved. 

Still, make no mistake, up to the very end, I funneled all my psychic power into his shifts, and will always recall that one special moment when he finally scored. All in attendance that night let out one of the biggest roars I'd seen outside of a playoff game(having trouble even recalling those anymore).

All that said, and even wishing Sasha the best, there is Risk involved with this signing. Yes, should he score 15-20 goals, at the rate he was signed, this would be labeled "brilliant". But what I wonder about is how Alex's presence will affect the locker room and behind the scenes player comraderie? So, there's the risk, but I suppose time will tell?

Maybe it's low risk because at $1.1m for a year it will be pretty easy to write Semin off if he starts to hurt the locker room.  Anybody know who Montreal's AHL affiliate is? :P

Are there such people still out there? Seems like there was pretty much a consensus in here that Semin didn't have much value . . .

If you venture around to some other hockey boards, yes there are. There was a lot of chatter about him being misunderstood and last year's play was due to injury. He wasn't "misunderstood", but he stood around a lot watching others play hockey. Edited by super_dave_1

Maybe it's low risk because at $1.1m for a year it will be pretty easy to write Semin off if he starts to hurt the locker room.  Anybody know who Montreal's AHL affiliate is? :P

If he plays like he did here, they may loan him to a SPHL team.

super_dave, Love it, love it, love it!! Where have I heard those sentiments expressed before, oh, that's right, RIGHT HERE! Seems everyone is so incredulous that such a gifted player cannot produce that's it's natural to blame the system in which he's failed. I'm afraid that Le Grande Bleu, Blanch et Rouge will learn soon enough, unless Sasha does a full 180 degree change!! I wish the player well, except when playing us!!