The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Whaler1

The Semin Enigma....

http://thehockeywriters.com/alex-semins-latest-scratch-has-canes-in-dire-situation/

Article doesn't really offer up any solutions, but does recap the situation well.

I think the Hammer will only work to a point. At some point there has to be a chance at redemption. Then if still nothing....no great answers. But getting Semin back as Semin is worth trying. That's a lot of points sitting there that will not come from Jay McClemment no matter how hard he plays.

Semin scores zero goals in the press box.  He scores zero goals when he gos 125 minutes without a SOG ,and acts like he's in Disney's Frozen on Ice.*

*Maybe that means we should all sing "Let it go! Let it go! Let the puck go towards the net!" during his shifts. :score:

Semin scores zero goals in the press box.  He scores zero goals when he gos 125 minutes without a SOG ,and acts like he's in Disney's Frozen on Ice.*

But he keeps making his $7 mil sitting in the press box. And the team misses all those points we're paying for.

The thing that kills me is how good we would be if Semin was playing 100%. He is holding back on his teammates.

I wish each team had a one time option to waive one player say every 5 years and not have to pay them. Contract goes null and void. Player becomes UFA. Player can try to get a new contract from another team.

Wouldn't help the team on the ice much at all, but might help motivate the occasional situation like this.

The Semin issue is getting some more press:

Alexander Semin Surging to Mediocrity

This article quotes John Forslund as saying he doesn't see anything to believe Semin can turn this around.

And quotes and Same Page writing on SI.com:

“To closely watch and appreciate Semin, however, means reconciling his very real laziness with his obviously good play, not his overblown laziness with his subtle skill.”

Goes on to say waiving him is an option.

Kind of a dim view of this painful situation.

I remain at least partially hopeful by Semin's response to JR last year, but this article is does not see this ending well.

Another heartbreaking loss. Semin was a non-factor or a negative factor. Please waive him and send him to Charlotte. Maybe he will bolt for the KHL. If not, at least the locker room will not have to deal with a player giving about 10% effort every game. This has to be killing team morale.

Well its nice to know we can send Semin to Charlotte.  If he refuses to play than he breaks contract agreement and we can cut him loose!   wouldn't that be nice.  Imagine what we could pick up with 7mil.   Maybe he'll play in Charlotte and that will be the wake up call he'll need and he'll come back and ...............bla bla bla.  Seems like he just doesn't give a crap about hockey, his teammates, his city, or his coach anymore.   Either that or he did zero training this summer and just can't keep up. 

I say waive him and send him to Charlotte as there is 0% chance of anyone claiming him.  He either goes leaves for the KHL, goes to Charlotte and learns his lesson, or goes to Charlotte and sends a message to the rest of the team.  Any of those options is an improvement over where we are now.

I say waive him and send him to Charlotte as there is 0% chance of anyone claiming him. He either goes leaves for the KHL, goes to Charlotte and learns his lesson, or goes to Charlotte and sends a message to the rest of the team. Any of those options is an improvement over where we are now.

Totally agree. He adds nothing to this team. It's disgusting and aggrivating to watch.

Edited by caryhurricanes

If Semin is going to fail here under Peters, and I still hope he doesn't, I'd rather him fail having the best chance to succeed, and that's on the top line, at least until Jordan gets back.

I don't have high hopes he can consistently bring what Peters wants every day, but putting him on the lower lines just seems to make it hard to have any balance in the lineup, at least in my humble opinion.  So, I like bringing that balance back together, particularly now that we have another right winger. 

A few more pulls on the rope, hoping the engine starts.

Edited by coastal_caniac

If Semin is going to fail here under Peters, and I still hope he doesn't, I'd rather him fail having the best chance to succeed, and that's on the top line, at least until Jordan gets back.

I don't have high hopes he can consistently bring what Peters wants every day, but putting him on the lower lines just seems to make it hard to have any balance in the lineup, at least in my humble opinion.  So, I like bringing that balance back together, particularly now that we have another right winger. 

Agree, especiallly with the enigine part!

Semin is a Ferrari. He is of no use if he can't peform at that level. But then again, if you have a Ferrari you really do want to get it going.

I don't have high hopes he can consistently bring what Peters wants every day, but putting him on the lower lines just seems to make it hard to have any balance in the lineup, at least in my humble opinion. So, I like bringing that balance back together, particularly now that we have another right winger.

I couldn't disagree more. That would be a waste of space that someone playing hard should have not to mention how many goals against his play would probably cause. I think he's had more than enough chances to prove himself. I wish he was playing like he did when he was on last year but he just seems to not care and seems slow etccc. Why reward that? What message does that send?

I'm not saying that the idea of putting Semin on waivers and sending him down is wrong. I think is is still just a tad early to do it. It may be time to threaten it. And for all we know they already have.

Blowing it up is an extreme move. Everyone gets hurt. It is absolutely the last resort. It is almost certainly unrecoverable after that. So, what if he does go to Charlotte? What if he goes there and coasts around the ice and even gets press boxed in Charlotte all the while cashing his checks and waiting it out. Clealry he would need to be bought out if it really came to that. He knows that too.

I do think that the threat of that might have an impact though. And for all we know that's where we are. Semin may have been told that he's going back in, on the top line, and if he doesn't show up, he'll be put on waivers. He won't get picked up and he'll be sent to Charlotte. Whle he will still get checks, and can cash in millions, it will put a nail in Semin's future NHL career. The one team that gave him a chance when no one else would, waived him. Doubt he sees NHL ice again.

This is why this is an enigma. On the one hand you have a guy, who if at full form could be one of, or even the best player on the team. Could easily push this team over the hump it currently sits on. And he's already here. Given that his contract is guaranteed, he really holds a lot of cards. And there is no team in the league that would take him now with his current contract. We would have to take on part of his contract, and would get no return. Probably have to give something up really.

Semin, despite the bad current play, is only worth anything to us if he starts playing again.

So, most say give up on him and I completely get that. But I think back to last year, when Semin was in a simllar if less severe situation. JR called him out, and for some reason he responded. Then he started scoring and started feeling it again. He moved into a more positive place. Teammates high fiving and hugging after scores...and the game picked up.

So, for now, we keep trying to punish, then give another chance. Punish, give another chance. I get that it has not worked yet. But once we go down the waivers pathway, it gets really ugly. Really, really ugly. And irreversible and we get nothing out of it. Nada.

Again, as much as I'd like to save PK money, unless we are thinking of picking up a rental at the deadline, why do I care about his salary? What big name UFA's have clammered to come sign here? (Irionically, one: Semin).  Having Semin's cap space is of no use right now, later sure. Trading Semin brings nothing. Buying him out is a final move of admitted major fail, and does us no good at the moment anyways.

There is always the chance that Semin just goes out there and has a really good game, can get some positive feedback and build on that and get going again. At this point, as crazy as it seems, as long as the Hammer and Francis are seeing this as the best course, I'm still on board.

If, in the course of events, it becomes obvious that Semin is a locker room and coach killer. Fine. Pull the trigger. I'm sure Francis will if it comes to that.

We are not there yet. Not quite.

Edited by remkin

I have heard much speculation as to what the issue is with Semin.  I do agree that it is painful to watch and that the desired outcome would be for him to return to form,  One thing that I have not heard, which could be the problem, maybe the new wife and the anxiety of being away from her?  PW if you will.?  Maybe he doesn't want to travel any longer, maybe the new #1 is not with him on the plane going to the next game.  This makes more sense to me than anything else does.  I just find it hard to believe that a guy this talented all of a sudden just lost interest in the game or doesn't like the team any longer.  Although he was rumored to be lazy and not show up sometimes in Washington, nothing to this extreme was ever discussed to my knowledge. 

Maybe if we can keep him until the honeymoon is over he will get back on track? 

Two things:

1. I find it hard to believe Semin would clear waivers if sent down. I understand about the onerous contract but his talent, when motivated, is world class and I just can't imagine that there isn't at least one team out there willing to take a chance on him. Then the choice becomes does anybody really care if he gets grabbed off waivers. Personally I'd like to see him get his mojo back here in Raleigh.
  2. If he does stay in Raleigh he should be slotted in the top 6 at all times. His talent level, when motivated, and skill set really leave you no choice as he would be a disaster in the bottom 6 considering his lack of defensive acumen and general malaise on the ice.

7 mil at 1-2 years I might agree with you. 7 mil at 5 years I doubt it.

No one had interest in him at 7 mil the last time he was available to the public why would they now?

The  Canes therapist [for the head] must be going crazy, just having some fun.... Semin, wake uppppppppppppppp we need you! :)

Package him with Cam at the trade deadline...hee hee...

Haha, I like that! Boy would that pack a salary cap whallop! Our salary retention on anything like that'd be rediculous.

Really, I'd like to keep Cam though.

Hard feelings or not, waivers is the only solution I see for this problem and it can't come soon enough. If he doesn't like it, sorry, it's business.

I'm not even sure "solution" is the right word but it seems like the next logical step. And it's not the first time it's been done to a player so I don't see how it's really a big deal.

Edited by Whattausay

Last night Semin did skate a little better,but after seeing him on the bench he looked like he was near having a heart attack or stroke.He is my my opinion still out of shape.I have my own theory about Semin but will not share it as ppl will think I have  totally lost my mind.

New drinking game!  Each time Tripp says something about Semin keeping his stick on the ice, drink until you can no longer hear him yammering on about it.  It just isn't making sense to me why he's singled him out on this specific issue when each time he blabs about it, everyone else on the ice is skating with their sticks at waist-level.  He just comes off as a bully jumping on the bandwagon and flaming someone who's already on fire...