The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Whaler1

The Semin Enigma....

Something else I thought about including above, but thought it would only muddy that up. I wonder if there's some seriously bad blood between Rosie and Semin? It would sure explain why Alex has not been sent down for reconditioning, and also Rosie's departure after Alex's signing. 

Think about it. Rosie works his tail off for years to show he can play at this level, earns every minute with hard work and sandpaper and determination, and - somebody correct me if I'm wrong - I *believe* was getting first-line minutes prior to Alex's arrival. Then JR signs Semin to that premature, ridiculous contract, and Rosie is out, his career over. (Check out his numbers in CLT. 9 points in 20 games with a 4.3 shooting percentage and 30 PIM. How much longer does a 32-year-old who's been out of the game for a year ride the bus in hopes doing so will eventually get him back to The Show - unless he's pretty much obsessed... ?)

Edited by top-shelf-1

Semin's problem continues to be the same problem that's gotten himself benched.  Slow to react, marshmellow soft, and unengaged in the play.

It is what it is.  Just like we are what our record says we are.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Semin's problem continues to be the same problem that's gotten himself benched.  Slow to react, marshmellow soft, and unengaged in the play.

It is what it is.  Just like we are what our record says we are.

No question about it. But - if he's not injured - where's this "hammer" we've heard so much about? And if he IS injured, what's he doing on the active roster?

1. Love the comfy chair. Cannot have too many Python references in my book. Basically a guaranteed contract is a comfy chair. Peters may have a hammer, but Semin has a 5 layered, high tech, spongy massive helmet to absorb the hammer blow if he wants to go that way. 

But one has to think at some level the guy cares at least a little about his career. I don't know.

2. There is an article in SI insider about Semin, and that some team might have some interest in him due to all that potential. It is mentioned in the game day on SB sports for today's game. The article is paid, so I can't read it, if anyone has SI insider might be interesting. Don't think there are any novel ideas on how to jump start him though. They do mention him needing a center capable of maximizing his scoring potential. But blaming his centers seems to suggest maybe they haven't really been watching him.

3. He has been scratched 3 times. That is at least some hammering. 

4. We are where we are in the standings. I still think we are what we've done in the past 16 games. But that's me. And really what matters is what we will be, and no one knows that.

5. The fact that the team game is coming together fairly well the last 16 games just highlights all the more how a top notch Semin could push us over the top. Scoring is what we need and scoring is what he should be bringing. 

6. I just wonder if he just had a game where he felt great, and in the flow, and made some plays and put up some points if it might return. 

7. So frustrating.

8. There is no 8.

Edited by remkin

Even with zero NHL experience at forward, the much more reasonably priced Ryan Murphy looked more engaged, could play the point on the PP and was certainly in shape. I'm not suggesting Murph be brought back as a winger (yet),

I am suggesting it!  I can't figure our why he was not moved to RW as soon as we signed him.  I think he IS the missing piece at RW!

I am suggesting it!  I can't figure our why he was not moved to RW as soon as we signed him.  I think he IS the missing piece at RW!

Yeah, I think you and I both said that on his signing. He clearly had chemistry with Skins in Kitchener, and on at least a couple of memorable scoring plays last year.

Edited by top-shelf-1

1. Love the comfy chair. Cannot have too many Python references in my book. Basically a guaranteed contract is a comfy chair. Peters may have a hammer, but Semin has a 5 layered, high tech, spongy massive helmet to absorb the hammer blow if he wants to go that way. 

But one has to think at some level the guy cares at least a little about his career. I don't know.

2. There is an article in SI insider about Semin, and that some team might have some interest in him due to all that potential. It is mentioned in the game day on SB sports for today's game. The article is paid, so I can't read it, if anyone has SI insider might be interesting. Don't think there are any novel ideas on how to jump start him though. They do mention him needing a center capable of maximizing his scoring potential. But blaming his centers seems to suggest maybe they haven't really been watching him.

3. He has been scratched 3 times. That is at least some hammering. 

4. We are where we are in the standings. I still think we are what we've done in the past 16 games. But that's me. And really what matters is what we will be, and no one knows that.

5. The fact that the team game is coming together fairly well the last 16 games just highlights all the more how a top notch Semin could push us over the top. Scoring is what we need and scoring is what he should be bringing. 

6. I just wonder if he just had a game where he felt great, and in the flow, and made some plays and put up some points if it might return. 

7. So frustrating.

8. There is no 8.

If with #8 you're referring to the lack of Ovi, I agree. I think he misses playing with him and with a fellow countryman, and I'd be willing to bet he was courted throughout the offseason back at home. Now that he's married and getting older, that probably looks pretty appealing.

Top you are too smart!

Unfortunately I can't claim to be so clever, at least not on that one. I was just trying to be cute. I think Washington had moved Semin off Ovi's line for quite a while, not sure how much love there was between Semin and Ovi, but it sure wasn't enough for Washington so re-sign Semin, which at the moment looks like a good move.

No question about it. But - if he's not injured - where's this "hammer" we've heard so much about? And if he IS injured, what's he doing on the active roster?

I don't think he's injured because he's playing.

Personally, I remember Peters swinging it with Semin on 5 occasions, 3 times resulting in healthy scratches.  I honestly don't know what the next step is?  More hammer?  Waivers?  Like I've said before, it's a big mess.

I'm to the point that I really don't give a good dadgum about Semin, and as far as I'm concerned he can ride the pine and give somebody else a shot.  ;)

Boychuk certainly can't do any worse, and even from the fourth line, is creating chances for himself.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I don't think he's injured because he's playing.

Personally, I remember Peters swinging it with Semin on 5 occasions, 3 times resulting in healthy scratches.  I honestly don't know what the next step is?  More hammer?  Waivers?  Like I've said before, it's a big mess.

I'm to the point that I really don't give a good dadgum about Semin, and as far as I'm concerned he can ride the pine and give somebody else a shot.  ;)

Boychuk certainly can't do any worse, and even from the fourth line, is creating chances for himself.

I feel ya. He did seem to find some life with Gerbe on the other wing last game. Let's see if it can produce something tonight with his old linemate on the other end of the rink.

Top you are too smart!

Unfortunately I can't claim to be so clever, at least not on that one. I was just trying to be cute. I think Washington had moved Semin off Ovi's line for quite a while, not sure how much love there was between Semin and Ovi, but it sure wasn't enough for Washington so re-sign Semin, which at the moment looks like a good move.

Not according to Mrs. Shelf!

All the anecdotal stuff I've heard over the years (from the talking heads at NHL Radio) is they were pretty close.

I know its the Semin thread, but hey, Boychuk has as many points as Semin and 3 more goals and he has been doing it mainly from the 4th line and he's a plus 4. So there's the Semin tie in. Now...

I also like a lot of what I see from Boychuk. I really think that he can be a 20 goal third liner and be defensively responsible to boot. Not many teams have that from their third line.

He is great at drawing the puck to himself while skating backwards and turning quickly to offense. He has some skills.

I know its the Semin thread, but hey, Boychuk has as many points as Semin and 3 more goals and he has been doing it mainly from the 4th line and he's a plus 4.

But I also like a lot of what I see from Boychuk. I really think that he can be a 20 goal third liner and be defensively responsible to boot. Not many teams have that from their third line.

He is great at drawing the puck to himself while skating backwards and turning quickly to offense. He has some skills.

Yeah, he made a sweet play to himself off the half-wall in the Ozone a couple of weeks ago - Boston maybe? - that produced a great chance, and caught Tuuka (?) completely off guard. He made more moves in that one play than Semin has made all year.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Mark this day. Semin showed up. This was his best game I can recall this year. Does he build on this or regress?

Also, on Boychuk, he made a great play tonight that really should have resulted in a goal but did not.

Anyone know which wrist was operated on?  When he was in the penalty box he had his right glove off and was flexing that hand.  And later I noticed him skating with just his left hand on his stick.  I wonder . . .

Anyone know which wrist was operated on?  When he was in the penalty box he had his right glove off and was flexing that hand.  And later I noticed him skating with just his left hand on his stick.  I wonder . . .

I saw that as well Lake! It looked like he had a problem flexing it.

I still say send Semin to Charlotte for a conditioning stint so he can work on his scoring.

I think the only reason he is still playing is because Jordan is out. If Jordan was healthy and playing, Semin could be scratched or playing somewhere else.

I saw that as well Lake! It looked like he had a problem flexing it.

Also note he's gotten very fond of backhands, including the goal.  Makes you wonder...

Also note he's gotten very fond of backhands, including the goal.  Makes you wonder...

Yup, and as a pure scorer, Semin's loss of his "signature" shot might well have sent him into a psychological tailspin. Nonetheless, there are other things he could have been doing all this time to help, and the fact that he has not is why a reputation for laziness precedes him. Maybe that's the source of the tinkering Peters has done with Alex (I still say "hammering" is way too strong a word for Peters' actions to date).

I think we have to admit it was sweet backhander. But yes I have also noticed he appears to be favoring the backhander over the wrist shot and I also noticed him flexing his hand in the penalty box. It was nice to see him get that goal and of course my hope is it will get him going.

It was not just the goal though. He was making plays. He had at least 4 grade A set ups, of which we converted zero. He just looked better. And Washington is pretty physical, so I was concerned this might not be a good game for him. He is definitely passing first, and it is entirely possible that the wrist is not fully right.

If Semin's wrist is still hurting to the point it effects his wrist shot it would also severely limit his ability to muck along the boards and probably somewhat his ability to hit if it involves any impact  to the wrist.  That still doesn't explain his lack of skating, though.  Until I learn more I'm going with a combination of injury (wrist) and "a lack of character" (not hustling otherwise).

It was a beautiful goal for his 500th point, though. :applause:  There was only a sliver of space open above Holtby's shoulder and Semin found it. He almost had to bounce it off the top of the crossbar in order to score. 

Either the wrist is fine, or we have a bunch of idiots running the show.

I would think the coaching staff has been/is just looking for an excuse to bench him and not hurt his little feelings. What kind of management lets a struggling player play 20+ games with an injured wrist?

I would think an injury would give Semin an excuse. It would give the coaches an excuse.

I see no reason why Semin would be playing with an injured wrist, and like others have said there are certainly other parts of his game that could have been elevated from their lowly state.

I'm sorry, no excuses for the Semin we have seen this year. All logical thinking points to the Canes and Semin benefitting from making an injury public, not the other way around. He certainly isn't helping us on the ice this year. If Semin was in a contract year and trying to hide the injury it would be somewhat logical but still far-fetched IMHO. Unfortunately, as we all know Semin is not in a contract year.

Honestly, talking about Semin struggling because of an injured wrist sounds like denial. It makes no sense unless Semin was in a contract year, we were a playoff bubble team in need of bodies and had nobody else that would be an improvement over a wounded Semin, or if Semin was playing well earlier in the year and we were making a late push for the playoffs and trying to hide the injury.