The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Whaler1

The Semin Enigma....

Sorry, If Peters was trotting Alex out there and benching him for poor performance and KNEW his wrist was not 100 percent, that is Bill Peters' responsibility, 100 percent.

Accountability cuts both ways, and if Peters allowed Sem's rep with the Caps to influence the way he managed him, I'd have a lot more respect for ol' Bill if he owned up to it, the sooner the better. Anything less is unfair to Alex and his future opportunities.

On the question of who is playing on what line, I agree, but it should be noted that Boychuk has been spotted on the first, Terry has seen PP time, etc. As far as I'm concerned, nobody playing on the first line deserves to be the entire Nash line is the first line, and should get first-line mins, with what is now the second line getting almost as much time. Bust up Eric and Tlusty and let THEM adapt, because punishing the guys who are leaving it all out there by continuing to give those two more minutes is flat-out against what Peters said he would do, and he risks losing the yutes if he doesn't start holding up his end of the bargain, IMO.

Eric will earn $9 million+ this year. Let him earn his minutes for a change.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Sorry, If Peters was trotting Alex out there and benching him for poor performance and KNEW his wrist was not 100 percent, that is Bill Peters' responsibility, 100 percent.

Accountability cuts both ways, and if Peters allowed Sem's rep with the Caps to influence the way he managed him, I'd have a lot more respect for ol' Bill if he owned up to it, the sooner the better. Anything less is unfair to Alex and his future opportunities.

On the question of who is playing on what line, I agree, but it should be noted that Boychuk has been spotted on the first, Terry has seen PP time, etc. As far as I'm concerned, nobody playing on the first line deserves to be the entire Nash line is the first line, and should get first-line mins, with what is now the second line getting almost as much time. Bust up Eric and Tlusty and let THEM adapt, because punishing the guys who are leaving it all out there by continuing to give those two more minutes is flat-out against what Peters said he would do, and he risks losing the yutes if he doesn't start holding up his end of the bargain, IMO.

Eric will earn $9 million+ this year. Let him earn his minutes for a change.

I'm not sure if you are agreeing with me or speaking about another post but...

Like I said, if Semin was being put out there and it was known that he is not 100%...or even 80%, then someone should be held accountable.

Boychuck and Terry started off playing in roles more suited to their styles, but it has been awhile since Terry was not on the fourth line and he hasn't been used on the PP when he is in the lineup either. I would take Terry over Staal on the PP from what I've seen over the last 40 games or so. Boychuck has also been on the fourth line for a bit now, making sporadic appearances on the third line (as the juggling circus continues). Again, he seems to play harder than many of our veterans (which leads me to my next point.....or more accurately, your point).

I couldn't agree more that our veterans (see: Eric Staal) are letting us down, and I would like to see the hammer directed that way for once. For the most part I see the same Staal as last year. Last year he would be awful most of the time with flashes of dominance (rarely). This year his play is more consistent, but it is consistently not good enough. Let him sit a few games and send him a message for once. Tlusty looked great, got cheap-shotted by Johnson, and now he looks like an average player again. Not sure what the answer is here.

Anyway, give minutes to the guys who want to leave it all out on the ice, not have them gifted to entitled players.

Also, remember when Francis was looking for coaches he talked about finding "pairs" of forwards that work and going from there?

How is that working out?

If it isn't working out (spoiler alert: it isn't), then you need to take a long look at your personnel and figure out who needs to go, especially when it is your highly paid forwards.

One final note, we lose WAY too many board battles and battles in front of the net in the offensive zone. I'm sick of it. We have to bring in players up front that can win along the boards consistently and generate offense down low in the crease. If not we will continue to see the one and done type shooting or cutesy perimeter play that eventually results in a turnover (either a bad, low percentage pass, or a lost board/crease battle).

I could go on but that is enough for now...

Edited by Kyrule

I'm not sure if you are agreeing with me or speaking about another post but...

Like I said, if Semin was being put out there and it was known that he is not 100%...or even 80%, then someone should be held accountable.

Boychuck and Terry started off playing in roles more suited to their styles, but it has been awhile since Terry was not on the fourth line and he hasn't been used on the PP when he is in the lineup either. I would take Terry over Staal on the PP from what I've seen over the last 40 games or so. Boychuck has also been on the fourth line for a bit now, making sporadic appearances on the third line (as the juggling circus continues). Again, he seems to play harder than many of our veterans (which leads me to my next point.....or more accurately, your point).

I couldn't agree more that our veterans (see: Eric Staal) are letting us down, and I would like to see the hammer directed that way for once. For the most part I see the same Staal as last year. Last year he would be awful most of the time with flashes of dominance (rarely). This year his play is more consistent, but it is consistently not good enough. Let him sit a few games and send him a message for once. Tlusty looked great, got cheap-shotted by Johnson, and now he looks like an average player again. Not sure what the answer is here.

Anyway, give minutes to the guys who want to leave it all out on the ice, not have them gifted to entitled players.

Also, remember when Francis was looking for coaches he talked about finding "pairs" of forwards that work and going from there?

How is that working out?

If it isn't working out (spoiler alert: it isn't), then you need to take a long look at your personnel and figure out who needs to go, especially when it is your highly paid forwards.

One final note, we lose WAY too many board battles and battles in front of the net in the offensive zone. I'm sick of it. We have to bring in players up front that can win along the boards consistently and generate offense down low in the crease. If not we will continue to see the one and done type shooting or cutesy perimeter play that eventually results in a turnover (either a bad, low percentage pass, or a lost board/crease battle).

I could go on but that is enough for now...

totally agreeing with you :)

If a lingering injury has been a problem it was past time. If it is a new injury it won't explain his game but in either case it will give him some time to heal. It will also give Peters a chance to sit Semin without having to send him to time out. In other words it can't hurt.

I'm inclined to think this is a "new" injury or a recent re-injury of the wrist. It happened in the game before he went out. He took an awkward hit and probably jammed it up. I say that based on what we DO know versus speculation. I saw the hit with my own eyes then saw Semin wincing in the box shortly after. In regards to his play thus far... What we DO know is that Peters called him out in the press for his lackadaisical play and lack of hustle then scratched him. You don't do that to a guy if you know his poor performance may be due to an injury. Not good for him, you, or the team, so that's unlikely. Besides, by all accounts, Peters isn't that type of guy. The scenario based on what we DO know is Semin was good to go, played like garbage for most of the season, was benched, then got hurt again. No need to give him a pass on anything. He's played horribly and is out of the line up. Good for us. Less time to watch him float around before we buy him out, because I guarantee you that happens.....unless, by the grace of God, some idiot thinks he can help them make a run.    

I know it's speculation, but I still maintain that Semin's wrist has been bothering him. I have no doubt that he has pulled up and avoided contact even more than usual and could have skated harder, but Semin is a Lamborghini. He is not going to be good for mucking around the backwoods.

I keep going back to the fact that even at his worst, even with all the bad press and rumors, he was no where near this bad.

Peters did say "lower body and to a lesser extent upper body" or something along those lines, so yeah, I think the wrist never got back to 100% after the operation.  I just wonder what the lower body injury is and when he got it?

If his wrist has never recovered, and it seems plausible that's true given additional things seen and heard, and now that he's dinged up in the lower body, then I hope the Canes let Semin get to 100%, however long that takes.

If his wrist has never recovered, and it seems plausible that's true given additional things seen and heard, and now that he's dinged up in the lower body, then I hope the Canes let Semin get to 100%, however long that takes.

Is a three and a half year recovery time out of the question?

How long can the Canes keep him on IR?

IR is for players that will miss a minimum of 7 days and 2 games. If a player has a legitimate injury and will miss at least 10 games or 24 days they can place him on Long Term IR. The only benefit is the player doesn't "count" as a roster spot and they can also use it for some cap space relief, but not much. The Canes are well under the cap so that benefit isn't really there for us.  

I've been right out in front of critizing Semin. However, his prolonged stay on the injured shelf, combined with play just way TOO bad to pass the "I'm not injured" sniff test, leaves me utterly convinced that his wrist never healed. I don't know his actual injury, but if he had a scaphoid fracture, they are notorious for not healing well.

Ironically, I woud bet that Semin eithe heals and ironcically is one of the ones not traded, or he goes onto LTIR.

I mean how ironic would it be if Francis dealed Tlsuty, E, etc. Rebuilt w/ Semin still here, and he returned to form.

Don't get me wrong. I know he doesn't really fit Peter's system, but he (fully healthy) is exactly what we are missing: elite playmaking and scoring talent.

Mainly though he is untradable unless he gets back in there and lights it up. Then MAYBE a deadline deal, but we will neve get a potential 70 point guy back for him.

Edited by remkin