The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
CincoNuwaywaay

How 'bout the locals start filling seats?....

This is going to irk some people, I get that. Attendance has always been a touchy subject with us Canes fans as the mere mention seems to somehow question our loyalty to the team and our "knowledge" or dedication to the game. But seriously.....a home game against the Caps that has an attendance under 11k? How about the sub 10k games earlier in Nov.? Look, I get that I'm preaching to the choir here on the fan board. You guys are going. I live 2000 miles away now, but like many of you, when I lived there I was at every home game I could get to, win or lose. What's going on back there?

According to the team, we have a season ticket base larger than the current attendance numbers. That means tix are sitting on someone's kitchen counter at face off. Try to sell them then give them away! Please! We used to do that ourselves. Look, you bought the things. If they aren't going to get used or sold give them away. Maybe you get a couple people to see a good game and/or a win and they keep going? The only reason I'm even saying anything is because if we don't fill those seats, in good times and bad, you WILL lose the team. It would hurt me and the Mrs. but we'd get over it. We live out west and would simply start following someone else if we had too I suppose. You locals though.....hope you love anything but hockey, because that's what you'd be left with. I'm not necessarily calling anyone out. I get the expense of the games, etc...I'm talking about season tickets and season ticket holders particularly. You have a responsibility to use those tickets....or hand them to someone if it comes down to it. It's like RSVPing for a party then not showing up....but also keeping someone from going in your place and wasting the food and booze. Just go.....or don't and give them up so someone else can. I'm not advocating charity, just resourcefulness and anything you can do to ensure hockey stays in Raleigh for the long term. That's my rant... Good, now I can stop looking at the backs of red seats on Center Ice because I'm sure that solved it! Haha! :)      

This is going to irk some people, I get that. Attendance has always been a touchy subject with us Canes fans as the mere mention seems to somehow question our loyalty to the team and our "knowledge" or dedication to the game. But seriously.....a home game against the Caps that has an attendance under 11k? How about the sub 10k games earlier in Nov.? Look, I get that I'm preaching to the choir here on the fan board. You guys are going. I live 2000 miles away now, but like many of you, when I lived there I was at every home game I could get to, win or lose. What's going on back there?

According to the team, we have a season ticket base larger than the current attendance numbers. That means tix are sitting on someone's kitchen counter at face off. Try to sell them then give them away! Please! We used to do that ourselves. Look, you bought the things. If they aren't going to get used or sold give them away. Maybe you get a couple people to see a good game and/or a win and they keep going? The only reason I'm even saying anything is because if we don't fill those seats, in good times and bad, you WILL lose the team. It would hurt me and the Mrs. but we'd get over it. We live out west and would simply start following someone else if we had too I suppose. You locals though.....hope you love anything but hockey, because that's what you'd be left with. I'm not necessarily calling anyone out. I get the expense of the games, etc...I'm talking about season tickets and season ticket holders particularly. You have a responsibility to use those tickets....or hand them to someone if it comes down to it. It's like RSVPing for a party then not showing up....but also keeping someone from going in your place and wasting the food and booze. Just go.....or don't and give them up so someone else can. I'm not advocating charity, just resourcefulness and anything you can do to ensure hockey stays in Raleigh for the long term. That's my rant... Good, now I can stop looking at the backs of red seats on Center Ice because I'm sure that solved it! Haha! :)      

Your thesis is partially flawed.

When they say "Season Ticket Base", they include partial season STHers.  There are some games with no tickets.

You can tell the difference between 26 gamer nights or not, for example.  There are always people sitting on their tickets and wasting them, but not as much as you are making it out to be.  

And I know many people who do give them away.  Last year, when we were full STHers, we gave quite a few away when life events created conflicts.  

I'm not really sure what happened this year, but the anger just boiled over massively last spring.  Something changed.  Many long time STHers I know capitulated and abandoned the team.  We dropped from full to 12 games because I was tired of getting nauseous 2 times per week.  All that losing just got to be poisonous.  So far this year, I've gone to 3 games, all losses.  Less nauseous since it isn't so frequent and even bad hockey is better than no hockey.  But there are limits to one's tolerance...

I'm not really sure what happened this year, but the anger just boiled over massively last spring.  Something changed.  Many long time STHers I know capitulated and abandoned the team.  We dropped from full to 12 games because I was tired of getting nauseous 2 times per week.  All that losing just got to be poisonous.  So far this year, I've gone to 3 games, all losses.  Less nauseous since it isn't so frequent and even bad hockey is better than no hockey.  But there are limits to one's tolerance...

No offense taken.

Wxray pretty well sums it up above.

Tough times in Raleigh.

The sport itself can sell tickets. . With increased ticket prices, concession, and parking costs, demand is reduced.   Currently, only die-hard Canes' fans or fans of the opposing team have any desire to come to the games.    The quality and availability of HD telecasts make it next best thing to being in the arena.  The only thing that is lacking is tailgating experience.  Being a solitary fan, I really have no desire to continue to go to Canes games. If they put a better product on the ice and were a playoff contender my attitude would change.  But now I would rather stay at home and watch the games on TV

As a fan of this team when they were in Hartford, this sounds all too familiar. The Whalers were lousy for years, fans got tired of paying to see a bad product on the ice, so they stayed home. Eventually, that led to the team moving to North Carolina.

Now the same thing is happening to the same franchise. Fans there need to learn from our mistakes. Fans of small market teams can't protest the team's performance by not buying tickets. Fans in Boston and Chicago stayed away from their teams when they were terrible, but those teams were never going to move. Fans in cities like Hartford don't have that luxury. You folks have to decide which group Raleigh is in.

Fans of small market teams can't protest the team's performance by not buying tickets.

See, now this mind set makes me ill.  Puts all the "blame" on the fans and not holding the team responsible for putting an entertaining product on the ice.  The team may move, but don't expect fans to throw money at an inferior product just to hopefully hold onto it.

See, now this mind set makes me ill.  Puts all the "blame" on the fans and not holding the team responsible for putting an entertaining product on the ice.  The team may move, but don't expect fans to throw money at an inferior product just to hopefully hold onto it.

I second this (except the moving part, which I don't see happening anytime soon), and let me add: The Hurricanes do a lousy job of marketing. Tonight, for example, we've got a hockey legend coming to the building, a guy who was winning Cups while Eric was getting his bike's training wheels removed, and who still plays like he's in his 20s (okay, 30s maybe!). Why not take out some TV pushing that, i.e., "Whether you're a lifelong hockey fan or have never seen a game, don't miss one of the game's great talents tonight in Raleigh! With two Stanley Cup rings and the most game-winning goals in hockey history, Jaromir Jagr leads the New Jersey Devils to PNC Arena. Great seats still available!" 

The Canes could run ads like this for virtually every visiting team. The marketing arm of the org has no sense of hockey history, even the franchise's own - the players who came through Hartford are a veritable who's who of hockey, and we could be inviting them to PNC and hoisting "Legacy Banners" (or some such) with their names on them.

Edited by top-shelf-1

I agree with you completely. It sucks that teams expect fans to pay for year after year of bad hockey and hold the threat of relocation over their heads. But that's the reality of small market teams, and the fans need to know the situation.

It is a fair point. The building is emptier than ever and if we go into rebuild mode...hopefully PK has and empty house baked into the plan. No amount of whining on here will change anything though. We don't drive anything. We are the deepest part of the fan pool. We are the ones still here. I've wanted to use this one for a while.

:preach:

I don't know how safe this franchise is. Just no idea. PK moved it once. The area is and will grow, PK has a decent stadium deal, but that place has been pretty empty lately....hopefully he's at least committed to giving Francis a shot to build a contender.

Some very good points, and good ideas here. I tend to scoff a bit at the "we aren't winning" argument to not attend. Granted, they are different markets, but a team like the Leafs haven't won a Cup in 47 years and went on a 8 year drought through 2012 before getting in again. Tickets there? A decade long waiting list.... We are not the Toronto market, but that would lend some credibility to market specific attitudes and abilities. It would seem you can't blow off a small market team for long if you want to keep them. The Canes won the Cup 8 short years ago and made the ECF in 2009. Of course, they're batting .000 for the last few seasons but we don't have it that bad. They've brought in some young solid talent (Skinner, Lindholm), they signed Jordan Staal, etc. Those things have yet to work themselves out, but the team is making an effort. I'd feel differently if they pulled the plug and weren't even trying.

Having said that, I sort of blame the team a bit too. NHL teams seemed to have made a new effort (I feel based on league success) to quit offering discounted and free tickets. Florida has done the same thing and their attendance is even worse. They are also a small market (for hockey). When you are having attendance problems this is a poor course of action. What's good for the league, isn't always good for every team. I don't have the answer, but I do have an MBA and I am a business man. From a business standpoint, the current model doesn't seem like it can work without increasing attendance. I hope the team knows what they're doing, or it's light out! The fans can help by going.......even if they lose.  Nestrasil called out the fans last night. The players need the fans there! Remember, they'll win again. Remember how cool that was?? :)   

Edited by CincoNuwaywaay

They've brought in some young solid talent (Skinner, Lindholm), they signed Jared Staal, etc. Those things have yet to work themselves out, but the team is making an effort. I'd feel differently if they pulled the plug and weren't even trying.

:o Um, you mean Jordan Staal?  :D 

I know where I sit, my whole row changed and we were all full season ticket holders.

Including my wife and I (though I had to drop her seat to a 26 game due to her not being able to make most games due to work), I think there are 7 on a row that seats 24 that returned from last season. When I spoke to some, they were tired of the product on the ice. Most have been STH for 7+ years. My wife and I since 2002. I also see a lot of new faces in my section as well (304).

Most teams go through dry spells. Back in the 80's the Red Wings were REALLY bad. But their fans continued to come because it is an original 6 team and season tickets are willed from one generation to another. Then they drafted the Red Army Line, built a winning team and ever since have been in the playoffs 20+ years. You really have to support your team through the good times and the bad times.

Even if the Cane were winning, I doubt we'd seen that much of an increase in home fan attendance until February and if the Canes were intrenched in a playoff run. And I don't mean to offend anyone, but that is what you get from fair weather fans.

Edited by hopper915

....You really have to support your team through the good times and the bad times.

Even if the Cane were winning, I doubt we'd seen that much of an increase in home fan attendance until February and if the Canes were intrenched in a playoff run. And I don't mean to offend anyone, but that is what you get from fair weather fans.

So true on supporting the team, but I'm not so sure attendance would be this low right now if we were winning. We have averaged over 15k a night for the last 10 years, with most of those years just over 16k. This year? We're right about 11,800 avg. I just wonder if it's a "time thing" (losing for so long) or if there was one factor or a combination of factors that led to the drastic drop off. Like I stated initially, the "choir" here knows the sermon and you guys are supporting the team, no doubt. We need to figure out how to get the "other people" to the games. Otherwise, we could be sitting here trying to figure out what natural disaster we can name the team after that fits the Las Vegas market! Which, on a side note, is very close to where I live now....so.....on second thought...... ;) 

To be sure, there are multiple factors.  Price increase, section price rearrangements, lack of perks (bobbleheads?), all factor in.

But from what I was hearing, the "time thing" hit people hard.  People were sticking it out.  But it can only work for so long, ya know?  Multiple continued injuries to the fans' psyche really start to hurt and pile up.

Other factors:

- No gee whiz thing like the All Star game

- No high profile signing (J Staal)

Those other two factors didn't mean much for me, but they were important for a lot of people  

I think people were sticking through it last year because the promise of the lock-out year evaporated, and it appeared to just be an aberration.  You know, the collapse was just an anomaly.  Turns out the anomaly was the great run in the front half of the lockout year.  But we didn't know.  We thought that could happen again last year.

Alas.  It didn't  No "deep runs" as JR predicted.  We were stood up.  Time to throw away the corsage and go home.

Edited by wxray1

I go to every game.

I am a successful business professional, but even those of us that are supposedly are "rich" have to deal with the fact that the standard in this country is no pensions anymore, the fantasy/dream of retirement requires fiscal discipline.

I walk in from a nearby parking lot because I can't afford $15 for parking times 41.

I only buy the concessions I was forced to pay for as a fictitious benefit called food/beverage credit.  I am not going to pay 7 bucks for chicken tenders and 4:50 for a soda.  Not that I don't want them, but I can't afford them.

I used to buy the cheaper concessions when there were special nights (family night) but it seems they have been eliminated now.

I have a couple beers with my buddy before the game at a bar because it is more cost effective times 41.  Also, the beer is fresher in a bar.  At the canes with no one buying anything, good luck on that one.  11 bucks for a stale microbrew isn't a good deal.

There are really 2 things you are going to see now.  An empty arena, or an arena half filled with opposing fans.  Since we have so few fans there, some of them choose to approach you and point out that our fan base is fickle and we suck compared to the fans in their awesome city.  While this is actually an accurate statement, it makes in no more enjoyable to hear.  Ultimately, the poor play of our team gives the opposing fans more opportunities to chant and otherwise ridicule us.

I wonder why attendance is down... 

Bad hockey is still better than no hockey at all.  This is very true.  But apparently there are fewer and fewer of us that still believe this.

"I'm not saying it's right... but I understand" - Chris Rock

Edited by hag65

The last game I was at a glass of sweet tea was $5.  And Bojangels 'gives" the stuff away with their meals. 

I understand the pricing has to deal with the NHL's revenue sharing agreement but from a business standpoint it seems to hurt the teams that struggle  to put butt in the seats

Speaking of marketing the team, the Canes have done a lousy job of trying to promote themselves outside the Triangle. In the years since the team moved to NC, only once has there been a preseason game outside Raleigh, a games vs the Jets at Time Warner Cable Arena in Charlotte. And now with the Checkers moving to the rinky-dink Bojangles Coliseum, I highly doubt we'll be seeing preseason NHL hockey in Charlotte again.

First of all I think that the players have to have the will and care about winning and not whining. Except for a few recent interviews for instance with Skinner who looked visibly upset after losing, most of the players make the same excuses and look to have about as much energy as my grandmother; they don't seem to be passionate about the game-like someone who draws a nice paycheck at a job and does just enough to get by. Also, I know that you are talking about STH in Raleigh but there are Hurricanes fans outside of Raleigh. It's very disheartening to make a 4 hour trip,from our home, pay for a hotel, meals and watch them not score goals. We still do this for about 5 or 6 games and would come more if there were handicapped seats but there never are which is another issue.  I don't know about the Raleigh area as far as promoting the team but they certainly don't promote it anywhere in South Carolina at least on the coast, yet everyone knows about Carolina Panthers football which is about the same distance away. Maybe mamagement needs to reach out just a little bit more. Offer bus trips, think outside the box and be creative to fill the seats-don't give them away but reach out more to all of the fans.