The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
youngfan9886

The Positive Thread: Any Optimistic Nuggets of Positivity in the Gloom

Sergey Tolchinsky RW 32games 17goals 32assists 49points +11  1.53ppg          

Reportedly he's up to 169lbs.

Ok, he's never going to be Pavel Datsuk or Jonathan Toews, but odds are he's going to add some much needed excitement to the Canes somewhere down the road. 

SMURF, SMURF, SMURF!!!

Edited by LakeLivin

In the "Cleanup on Aisle 6" department:

Seems like night and day between last season and this when it comes to defensive rebound control.  Last year it seemed like most of the pucks that rebounded in front of the net ended up in our goal. This year the team has been very good at clearing the puck from in front of the goal. 

Edited by LakeLivin

With half the season completed, I think the coaching staff, and particularly Steve Smith, deserves some credit for doing the things Peters staff focused on upon hiring to improve the team.  And if your aren't current standings focused, it's worth recognizing.

Penalty Kill

2014-2015: 86.7% (4th)
2013-2014: 81.7% (17th)
2012-2013: 77.6% (28th)
2011-2012: 80.6% (22nd)
2010-2011: 81.2% (20th)
2009-2010: 80.6% (19th)

Shots Against/Game

2014-2015: 27.7 (6th)
2013-2014: 30.9 (21st)
2012-2013: 32.2 (26th)
2011-2012: 32.4 (30th)
2010-2011: 33.2 (30th)
2009-2010: 31.4 (22nd)

Goals Against/Game

2014-2015: 2.57 (14th)
2013-2014: 2.76 (19th)
2012-2013: 3.31 (29th)
2011-2012: 2.89 (25th)
2010-2011: 2.85 (21st)
2009-2010: 3.06 (26th)

And it's even more impressive with this collection of blue liners, no offense to our players, but more relative to the league and what other teams ice.

Anyway, I'm tired of not having hope, so I like this thread.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Didn't know where to put this..

I've been keeping tabs on Haydn Fleury. He didn't start off the year great, then got snubbed for the world juniors. However, in a span of 5 games, he's score 4pts and turned a -9 rating to +0 overall.

Seems he didn't take too kindly about not making the team. Good for him.

Didn't know where to put this..

I've been keeping tabs on Haydn Fleury. He didn't start off the year great, then got snubbed for the world juniors. However, in a span of 5 games, he's score 4pts and turned a -9 rating to +0 overall.

Seems he didn't take too kindly about not making the team. Good for him.

I know I put this elsewhere, but on his snub, he was the last one cut and only one other dman his age made the team.

But it's also good to hear he's stepping it up!

Since his return, Jordan Staal makes everyone he plays with seem better - including big brother.

Could have said same last year when he had Dwyer and Gerbe on his wing.

Assistant coaches.

An argument could easily be made that the two offseason additions that have made the biggest practical difference so far are Dave Marcoux (rejuvenated Ward) and Steve Smith (how about that PK?)

A ) Andrej Nestrasil.

B ) Getting Nasty for free. :woohoo:

He's an RFA next year and imo should be a Canes priority to re-sign once the season ends.

Edited by LakeLivin

^ Yes.

Bill Peters, I think most of us agree coaching isn't the problem. That says something with a team with as bad of a record as we do. Any NHL passer by fan would likely say Peters had a terrible season but we all know that's not the case.

With Muller, everything stunk. With Peters the system is there but the talent and on ice leadership isn't.

A ) Andrej Nestrasil.

B ) Getting Nasty for free. :woohoo:

He's an RFA next year and imo should be a Canes priority to re-sign once the season ends.

^ Yes.

Bill Peters, I think most of us agree coaching isn't the problem. That says something with a team with as bad of a record as we do. Any NHL passer by fan would likely say Peters had a terrible season but we all know that's not the case.

With Muller, everything stunk. With Peters the system is there but the talent and on ice leadership isn't.

Yeah, I'm also optimistic about the coaching (head as well as assistants).  Still not enough data in to make a call about RF imo; this offseason could be very telling. 

Edited by LakeLivin

Lake,

Thanks for bumping the positive thread.

I'd add Rask.

Last season he looked like a probable busted draft pick. Now he looks like a lot of promise. His progression from last seaon's start to now has been steep, if he can keep it up, he will be a very nice player next year.

If McGinn and Nedeljovich (spelling my own) progress as I think they will, then we've had a pretty good run of second round picks starting w/ Faulk.

I'd also add that the prospect we picked up from LA has a lot of upside too.

Yes, we need some positive in here.

I was also going to say Rask.  Just when it looked like he hit a wall, he breaks out of it with multiple point games.  It's been a pleasure to watch.

I'd add Justin Faulk.  He still has his warts but he's currently the #9 scoring defenseman in the NHL.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Amen to Faulk. He is putting it together more and more.

Fleury in the pipeline, may surprise next year but probably two away. Add in our LA prospect, and the defense could look pretty good again in a couple of years. Still need to add a body next year, but the slightly longer range future looks decent.

Believe with the Canes youth corps, the Canes do have a promising future.  What concerns me is how long the franchise can continue with such low "butts in the seats" numbers.  If Bettman did all he could do to keep the Desert Dogs in Phoenix he needs to do the same to keep the Canes in the Triangle.

Yes, we some some positive in here.

I was also going to say Rask.  Just when it looked like he hit a wall, he breaks out of it with multiple point games.  It's been a pleasure to watch.

I'd add Justin Faulk.  He still has his warts but he's currently the #9 scoring defenseman in the NHL.

Definitely. I meant to put Faulk in my post along with Nestrasil but then I got to wondering about Nesty's contract status, went off on a search, and forgot all about Faulk.  I was going to phrase it: Justin Faulk becoming an offensive force. [offensive as in scoring, not the negative meaning. :P

Rask is trending back again, but there was such a long dry spell in the middle he makes me want to see more before I invest too much hope in him regarding our future. Don't get me wrong, he's very young and I'm optimistic; I just want to see a longer period of consistency. 

Edited by LakeLivin

I was fortunate enough to count myself among the winners in the lunch and chalk talk with Rod Brind'Amour. It was a great experience. Rod was candid and fun and offered some fascinating insights into a wide range of topics from getting a high draft pick to details of the power play. Really nice event.

One thing Rod said was that we have an incredibly smart coach. He thinks the game at a level much higher than any of the players and they all know that. Also, that the idea of sitting Semin would not have been allowed in the pre Francis era.

So there are three positives.

1. Great event.

2. Really solid assistant coach (in charge of our now #11 PP).

3. Real Deal, smart coach with GM backing him.

Edited by remkin

That's awesome Rem!!!

Thanks for sharing that.

We have a great coaching staff, now we just need some skill to go with the system.

Edited by coastal_caniac

After Rod signed stuff and took pictures. Could not have been more down to Earth. The guy looks like he could roll over the boards tomorrow if they needed him to.

Took what seemed to be about 50 questions from interested seasaon ticket holders and was quite candid about giving the C to Eric, and how it would be nice to lose enough to get McEichel (not a bad thing), but the coaches must coach and the players must play to win, upstairs can and has done some things (we have a nearly half AHL team) but we are still just not bad enough.

One other positive. One person said something about how we fans need to remember that the players are people and have feelings to, to which Rod said, "I've got to be honest, you aren't too hard on us." Basically that critism comes with the territory and Raleigh fans are the best in the league that way.

Always respected Brindy, but now a bigger fan.