The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Red_Storm

Proposal for 'Canes' to host a Winter Classic?!

Sort of an out-there suggestion, but an article from The Hockey Writers posted today suggests bringing back the Hartford Whalers for one game--a Winter Classic--and views this as an opportunity for the league to cash in on the sale of Whalers gear, which already sells at a pretty good clip.  Our Carolina Hurricanes would serve as the stand-ins for the Whalers in the actual game.  The writer suggests the “Whalers” would play Boston at Fenway, but offers up several other suggestions as well.

This is certainly an outside-of-the-box idea…but I like it!  Realistically, Carolina is never going to play in a Winter Classic unless it is associated with a gimmick like this.  And like the writer suggests, Carolina is a franchise in dire straits and could use a money making and marketing boost.  Thoughts?

A writer from TheHockeyNews made basically the same suggestion a couple of weeks ago. 

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/the-greater-outdoors-10-locales-wed-love-to-see-host-an-outdoor-game/

We even mentioned it in these forums.

http://fans.hurricanes.nhl.com/community/topic/22594-interesting-thought-for-outdoors-games/#entry410824

from the article:

1. Hartford, Rentschler Field

A game in Hartford, with Carolina wearing Whalers throwbacks, would be the most universally aesthetically pleasing game that has maybe ever happened in the NHL. To this day, you still see the Whalers logo held up as one of the greatest. Not just hockey history, either, but in the entire world of sports.

Rentschler Field has a record attendance of 42,704. Not for a second should you believe that would stand a chance against the rush of fans that would flock to an outdoor game in Hartford. Pit the Bruins against the ‘Canes and let the two teams go at it for old time’s sake.

This all sounds like a bit of a pipe dream, especially as you can be sure the Hurricanes wouldn’t want to leave Carolina for a game of this magnitude, but we can always hope the NHL might step in and make it happen. As doubtful as it seems, it’s enough to bring a smile to your face just thinking about.

One day, maybe. And if that day comes, my, what a glorious day it will be.

---------------------------------------------------------

I'm all for it but I'd think the NHL would want to wait until the Canes are playing competitively. 

A writer from TheHockeyNews made basically the same suggestion a couple of weeks ago. 

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/the-greater-outdoors-10-locales-wed-love-to-see-host-an-outdoor-game/

We even mentioned it in these forums.

http://fans.hurricanes.nhl.com/community/topic/22594-interesting-thought-for-outdoors-games/#entry410824

from the article:

1. Hartford, Rentschler Field

A game in Hartford, with Carolina wearing Whalers throwbacks, would be the most universally aesthetically pleasing game that has maybe ever happened in the NHL. To this day, you still see the Whalers logo held up as one of the greatest. Not just hockey history, either, but in the entire world of sports.

Rentschler Field has a record attendance of 42,704. Not for a second should you believe that would stand a chance against the rush of fans that would flock to an outdoor game in Hartford. Pit the Bruins against the ‘Canes and let the two teams go at it for old time’s sake.

This all sounds like a bit of a pipe dream, especially as you can be sure the Hurricanes wouldn’t want to leave Carolina for a game of this magnitude, but we can always hope the NHL might step in and make it happen. As doubtful as it seems, it’s enough to bring a smile to your face just thinking about.

One day, maybe. And if that day comes, my, what a glorious day it will be.

---------------------------------------------------------

I'm all for it but I'd think the NHL would want to wait until the Canes are playing competitively. 

did the Whale ever play competitive hockey?

No. We're the Hurricanes, not the Whalers. If you wanted the Whalers and wanted to have an outdoor game "some day" you should have bought enough season tickets to keep them afloat and you should have ponied up for the arena. You didn't, they left. It sucks you don't have hockey, but teams don't stay where they aren't wanted. You show that with your wallet, unfortunately. On a side note...you getting all this Raleigh? Get your butts to the games!