The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
hopper915

AHL Affiliate Oklahoma City Barons to Close up at end of Season

I guess Edmonton Oilers sucking and OKC being a better team is now affecting their AHL team.

http://www.koco.com/news/barons-to-cease-operations-in-oklahoma-city-at-end-of-season/30296708

OKLAHOMA CITY —The Oklahoma City Barons are ceasing operations.

The team will no longer play in Oklahoma City at the end of the season. The team said the decision was made because the team could not come to an agreement with their NHL affiliate, the Edmonton Oilers.

The Barons have made the AHL playoffs for the last four seasons.

Edited by hopper915

I can count on zero fingers how many games I attended there while I was stationed at Tinker...besides with the Thunder controlling the pro-sports market in that city (and that city can only support one pro franchise), the Barons were doomed from the start.

Interestingly, I was listening to some pundits last night, and they cited the fact that EDM finally has an AHL affiliate for future optimism.  Apparently, they were sharing with another team for quite a while.  (Canes did that up to about, what, 2003 or so?)

The Canes shared the Lockmonsters with Calgary for a couple seasons.

The Barons have been a good team for a couple seasons. Always giving the Checkers fits since their in the same Western Division.

hopper, you seem knowledgeable on the Checkers, so a question for you...

Now that the Checkers aren't sharing an arena with a pro sports team, is it true the Checkers can change out of their Division in favor of a more eastern friendly schedule?