The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
AWACSooner

Official Trade Deadline, Re-signing, Trade Talk "Maybe it's really a fire sale" thread

First up on the trade block...Jay Harrison!

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=744667&navid=DL|CAR|home

Maybe we got some great used pucks besides the 6th rounder.  But then again, we're lucky to get that much for a guy who wasn't producing points.

Edited by AWACSooner

A little disappointed in this trade. I mean, if they needed Harrison so bad, we should have at least gotten a 4th round pick for him. I know we are not sporting the best in the league but really, a 6th rounder?

Trades like this only tells me we are looking to dump players and salary for now. I am sure there are more to come though.

I don't have a problem for the 6th rounder. Could be used to moved up to get a higher pick in the draft or hopefully finding one of those diamonds in the rough that the Red Wings find all the time.

The only thing that bites me a bit on this is that we're apparently retaining part of his salary.  That seems a little low-ball.

The only thing that bites me a bit on this is that we're apparently retaining part of his salary.  That seems a little low-ball.

Exactly!!

Meh, maybe we got a little low balled, but on the other hand, the cold reality is that we were paying 1.5 million to a guy not even really good enough to play for a pretty marginal defense at that price.

6th round seems low, but really what is the projected value of Harrison even separate from his salary? I can't imagine giving up much for him even if I didn't have to take on his salary. (Obligatory he was a nice player for a long time here and a great guy and leader, but this is a hockey move, not social work).

Some have suggested maybe a 4th round pick. And I might have thought that too, but the likeliness of making any kind of impact in the NHL isn't much diffrent between a 6th and a 4th.

This was about clearing space on the roster and the cap and moving out an alternate captain we couldn't even roll out there anymore.

If this is the worst Francis gets "taken" then we're in pretty good shape.

Edited by remkin

Given the measly amount of contract we retained (not that I like retaining salary), and the team likely not spending to the cap anyway, I'll worry about than some other time.

We got a drat pick, and made room to look at another prospect when the need arises.  Winnipeg got a warm body to plug a gaping hole.

Both teams fans seem to be happy.

Good hockey trade, and no complaints here.

The trade rumors are swirling like a wind driven snowstorm. In the last couple of days I have seen speculation on trading Ward, Sekera, Khodobin, Staal and others.

Trying to separate the rumors based in some sort of fact from the pure speculation is impossible. But it does appear the pundits and bloggers alike seem to think something will happen once the holiday trade freeze is lifted.

As I posted in the gameday forum, I wonder if starting Dobby 2 games in a row might be tied into some bigger Canes trade strategies?  Sure he played great last game, but still . . .

Edited by LakeLivin

As I posted in the gameday forum, I wonder if starting Dobby 2 games in a row might be tied into some bigger Canes trade strategies?  Sure he played great last game, but still . . .

The same thought crossed my mind but perhaps it is just a chance to get Dobby a win while giving Ward-0 some rest. Still it makes you wonder.

I like the Harrison deal. We've really bolstered our D-corps bullpen in CLT, and Peters had clearly seen all he needed to between Murph Jordan and others during camp to decide that they are part of the future and Harrison part of the past. I'm guessing Wpeg initiated it (I've read zero coverage) because Mo has coached him already and is so hurting for D (lots of injuries to a blue line that is the only reason the Jets have been winning so far - they [unlike us] are winning one-goal games, typical Mo M-O).

I wonder if there might be some future considerations coming to the Canes.

Edited by top-shelf-1

"future considerations", good thought top. I'd hazard a guess, that much like Peters is finding his way in coaching, don't you think that RF is trying to negotiate what must be a landmine field of GM's? May have to take it on the chin for a bit to establish some "trading partners"?

"future considerations", good thought top. I'd hazard a guess, that much like Peters is finding his way in coaching, don't you think that RF is trying to negotiate what must be a landmine field of GM's? May have to take it on the chin for a bit to establish some "trading partners"?

Maybe, but the more I think about it, this could be the most plausible explanation: Ronnie rented Harry to his old buddy Mo and we'll have him back shortly.

Think about it. There has to be a rule somewhere that a trade involves a reasonable exchange of assets - and as far as I can tell, that's about the only sniff test this deal passes, and only barely at that.

But it makes sense, if we're truly in eval mode, that we'd gladly pay part of Harry's wage while Mo uses him - for what, a few months? the rest of the season? - in order to open up roster space for us. That hole lets us audition more of the CLT D-corps, whose NHL wages are a bargain, even with our share of Harry's pay added in. When the Jets miss the playoffs (or end their playoff run) the deal is reversed, and we get back our experienced NHL bargaining chip D-man, in time to use him as deal bait in our rebuild. 

The more I've thought about this "trade,"the less sense it makes - especially when NHL-caliber D are sorely enough needed that Jamie McBain is skating for the Kings.

Edited by top-shelf-1

I don't know, the way Harrison has been playing the last two years...whatever happens, I don't see him back here.

Agreed! It's time to shed the dead weight, step back and punt (wrong sport but same analogy)! 

E.Staal has gone back to his sloppy play and looking lazy. Semin is just a anchor and seems lost on the ice, when he plays. Gleason is another that plays sloppy. It's just time to turn on the "Blue Light Specials" and see what happens.

But first, I would strip E.Staal of the "C" and give it to Sekera!

At this point, with Cam's GAA and SV% looking halfway decent, I don't doubt he'll be shopped to a contender/bubble team around deadline time.

I think trading Cam is now become an interesting delemma. Every team wants at least a top 10 #1 NHL goalie, and a lot of teams don't have one. If we didn't have Cam, we wouldn't lose every game 2-1.

But then, if we move Cam, we will be one of those teams looking for a top 10 #1 NHL goalie. Unless Khudobin is that. I like Khudobin and his numbers from last year were top 5 let alone top 10. He is not stylistically as tight as Cam, and this year has been more mixed, and the N value is still low, so there is risk.

That said, it all, as always, comes down to term. A true top 10 #1 goalie should bring SERIOUS return. But should and would are the difference between theory and the actual market. Imagine if Cam and Tlusty and Sekera would bring from Arizona, Ekman-Larson and the Coyotes first round pick. I can't imagine it would, but who wouldn't make that deal in a heartbeat. On the other hand, what if it was just a first round pick from a playoff team....then their's Cam's NTC.

Finally, would Cam re sign in a couple of years with the team that made no bones about trying to trade him for just about anything this offseason? It's probably going to take to the end of Cam's contract before the new Canes team is much good.

We have Khudobin, Cam would free up cap space, and we have a couple of nice prospects. It is now a risky move, but if Cam brought back a nice return, I'd pull that trigger. He's about the only guy we can sell at high at the moment.

Edited by remkin

The problem Rem is that the Yotes are going to be sellers as well...so they won't give us E-L or Yandle or anyone along with their first...

We'd have to send Cam to a bubble team that needs a decent goalie...which would be Winnipeg, Calgary or Dallas in the west...and Washington or Toronto in the east...the other playoff teams have a solid #1 goalie and won't give up what we'd want in return for Cam.  That said, I don't care what Washington would offer...I would NEVER want to trade with them.

Yeah, I just was trying to throw out a too good to be true example to compare with a too bad to be true example. Kind of misleading. I can't see Arizona trading E-L really for anyone unless he is begging to get out.

The tricky thing here is that while just about everyone wants to change this team around, the NTC's and the return offered have to be considered as hard as it is for us to do that. Last year the rumor was that the offer for Cam was we give them Cam AND our #5 draft pick just to get him gone. Pretty obvious now how crazy that would have been. Like "bad deal of the decade" bad.

So when we want to move Semin or E, or even Skinner, these are legit issues.

It is such a complicated brew at the moment, mainly due to those insane NTC's JR loved to give out to guys in their 20's. 

Arizona could offer E-L for Eric Staal and E. could say...."uh, no, thanks anyway, but not interested in going to the desert. So..no".

I would imagine there is some interest in E. and definitely someone would take Ward (also a NTC), but Semin? no return.

Skinner is an interesting one. There is no doubt someone would take him, but again, what is the return? Is he valued as a potential 40 goal guy? Other team's scouts know he is weak in the d zone. A solid defensive team that needs scoring...but what is fair return?

Tlusty? Well what is he looking for money wise? If he is not too expensive he is a good, not great player.

Sekera? To me if we are trying to build a solid defense moving him goes the wrong way. But does he want to miss out on UFA to remain in this train wreck? My guess is that we don't really have a choice on him and will have to move him. A step back in the short term at least

Personally, I don't see how this team can move forward w/ E. around for lots of reasons. But then what about the E-J thing? Is there a mega trade out there for both of them?

As has been mentioned JR really left behind some rope tied around RF's hands, mainly NTC's, and big long contracts. It will be interesting to see how Francis slips out of the rope.

Edited by remkin

I don't think the NTC's are as big of issue as may seem.  Carolina's not a very good team.  I think Cam and Eric would waive their clauses to go to a winning situation.  Also, would you want to play for a team that obviously doesn't want you there?

From Cam's perspective, I saw an interview with him earlier in the season talking about last season's play and the trade rumors.  I don't think he took them personally.  If I were him and Eric, if I've played for the same team for 10yrs, and only made the playoffs twice, why wouldn't I want to go somewhere else?

Skinner would probably net us the most in a return.  Anaheim got a solid player, a solid prospect, and a top 10 draft pick for Bobby Ryan.  I'd think Skinner could net that, or a solid top 4 Dman.

Well it was a big issue when Whitney refused a trade and we got bumpkiss instead of a first round draft pick.

It sure shot Vancouver's return on Kesler, and Jason Spezza and others.

They usually come into play because the player doesn't want to go to a particular place where the trade is on the table. There's been some kicking the tires on trades w/ say Arizona or Winnepeg. E. might say, well I'm willing to be traded, but not there. Well that's who wants him. That's who's got the assets we want. No deal.

Then there is the fact that JR brought J in to play w/ E. If E feels w/ J's injury that they really haven't had a fair shot to show what they could do together, or if E just wants to stay with J, then could be a big issue.

Cam, who knows? He's probably waive it at this point, I'm guessing because he talked like he expected to be traded off season, but that's weak evidence he also might not use it if he doesn't want to go, say to Edmonton.

You then combine guys not living up to their contract AND a NTC and it could be a big issue.

It might not. I hope not. It might work out just fine. Hope so.

Here's an article on NTC's in the NHL:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/what-we-learned--the-problem-with-nhl-no-trade-clauses-182454780.html

Edited by remkin

Here's a decent hypothetical...E, J and Cam to Winnipeg for Michael Hutchinson, Byfuglien, and their first.

With all due respect, no no no. They're not trading an all star potential young goalie like that. Also, we have a couple goalie prospect. I Byfuglien isn't better at his position then eric or jordan imo. I would consider a jordan for dustin trade. And their 1st rounder probably will be 15-20 pick.

Edited by PenaltyKiller17