The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
AWACSooner

Official Trade Deadline, Re-signing, Trade Talk "Maybe it's really a fire sale" thread

Sounds like fans and player all overvalued Tlusty. Also sounds like the door is open to him coming back, and I would not be disappointed if he did. Hope we are not similarly disappointed with the return on Sekera. McClement and Dwyer we might as well keep just to have negotiating rights until July 1st. I think with Malone they have been a solid 4th line.

A 3rd round in the 2016 draft and only a conditional pick in the 2015?  I sure wish I knew what Francis was thinking!! 

We didn't get anything for Harrison, and now Tlusty, not much. Do we have that many ready players in the AHL to step up or is he working on trading players and picks for someone? Interesting trying to figure this one out.

Also, does he and Maurice have a connection they are working? 

March 2nd is soon to be here!

Edited by Caniac5

In fairness, Tlusty hasn't been great this year. He's always played his best with Staal & Semin, and with their play declining, his play declined as well. This team doesn't have the playmakers for him, and I question if Winnipeg does. This may not be the worst deal ever, especially if he comes back.

In fairness, Tlusty hasn't been great this year. He's always played his best with Staal & Semin, and with their play declining, his play declined as well. This team doesn't have the playmakers for him, and I question if Winnipeg does. This may not be the worst deal ever, especially if he comes back.

Exactly.  3 goals since November likely killed his value and the deadline is a few days away.  That's a buyers advantage.  But Winnipeg gave up 2 picks for a guy that likely won't resign there, so it's not a terrible return all things considered.

I'm not surprised it was a trade with Winnipeg. Mo was the one who has appeared to like Tlusty since the Toronto days and was probable the one who convinced JR to bring him to Carolina. As for the swap it will be a while, I would think,  before we know how we did. Those picks can turn into prospects or add-on trade chips to acquire a player or prospect. If Tlusty is serious about considering an offer this summer to come back maybe everybody wins.

I'm not surprised it was a trade with Winnipeg. Mo was the one who has appeared to like Tlusty since the Toronto days and was probable the one who convinced JR to bring him to Carolina. As for the swap it will be a while, I would think,  before we know how we did. Those picks can turn into prospects or add-on trade chips to acquire a player or prospect. If Tlusty is serious about considering an offer this summer to come back maybe everybody wins.

Right.  caniac5 sounds disappointed, and I understand.  However, it isn't all about the here and now at the NHL level or even two way players.  It is also about stocking Charlotte to fill the team.  Lower draft picks are needed for that.  And it also needs a long view.

I guess what I'm saying is I hope RF is looking that big picture.  Charlotte was decimated this year with zero backfill for themselves.

Put me in the "a bit disappointed" camp; I was hoping Tlusty would bring a 2nd round pick, even if it was a late one.  

"The conditional 2015 draft pick will be in the fifth round if Winnipeg qualifies for the 2015 Stanley Cup playoffs or the sixth round if they do not."

I guess we need to pull for the Peg to make the playoffs this year.

I guess low picks is better than eating part of salary like Leafs did. My positive is that he did not go to Pitt! Anyone know anything about the prospect we picked up from LA? I also like that we traded to West.

The prospect we get in the Sekera deal is Ronald McKeown. Defenseman. 2nd round pick last year.

Way to go Faulker

This is from NBC Sports

The Los Angeles Kings have acquired defenseman Andrej Sekera from the Carolina Hurricanes, according to multiple reports. In return, the ‘Canes will receive a first-round draft pick (2015) and 19-year-old prospect Roland McKeown.

I think Francis gets an A on this deal

I'm fine with both these deals. Tlusty is just okay. My guess is he does exactly what Mo asks, the Peg make a nice little run, and they re-sign him, even though that runs counter to the chatter at the moment.

Sekera to LA is awesome, the return is fine, and it opens lines of communication with a team that will be looking to reduce salary next year. JWilly is one of the guys they might have to cut loose. As a Cup winner here and just a winner overall, Justin's a guy I could see Ronnie attempting to bring back as a character veteran, if he'd agree to return.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Man those deals happened fast.

As you all know I wanted to keep Sekera, but that is a decent return.

LA is white-hot, and will probably make the playoffs, but again, you never know, they are right on the edge of the cut line, anything could happen. They will probalby face a top team if they make the cut, so that pick could still end up mid round.

J Willy is an interesting thought Top.

Wonder what the deal is on McKeown? How blue is that chip?

Now we we might see some degree of the SRM effect. It will be interesting to see the effect especially of no Sekera.

Man those deals happened fast.

As you all know I wanted to keep Sekera, but that is a decent return.

LA is white-hot, and will probably make the playoffs, but again, you never know, they are right on the edge of the cut line, anything could happen. They will probalby face a top team if they make the cut, so that pick could still end up mid round.

J Willy is an interesting thought Top.

Wonder what the deal is on McKeown? How blue is that chip?

Now we we might see some degree of the SRM effect. It will be interesting to see the effect especially of no Sekera.

McKeown was listed by Top NHL Prospects as a top 10 prospect, in 2012, for the 2014 NHL entry draft. He won a gold for Canada with the U18s at worlds, is 6-1, 195. Currently with the Kingston Frontenacs in the OHL.

Edited by top-shelf-1

more on McKeown here.

Thanks top. Man that was updated fast. Was that you updating his page?

The line that he is a top prospect sounds good. The footnote was one top prospects in the draft write up that said:

Roland McKeown – D – Kingston Frontenacs

McKeown was the 2nd overall pick in the 2012 OHL Priority Selection. The blueliner had 35 points in 28 games with the Toronto Marlboros in 2011-12.

But he ended up picked #50, so they might have been a bit overexcited.

His offensive numbers and plus minus have all declined this year in juniors. But a recent write up on the Kings Prospects said:

6. (6) Roland McKeown, D, 7.0D

‏Drafted 2nd round, 50th overall, 2014

‏McKeown has had a rough 2014-15. The emphasis from the Kings has been for McKeown to work on his defensive game, and that task has proved troublesome for him in keeping up with the offense. Despite the struggles he has endured this year though, he remains a potentially game-breaking and dynamic defensemen. His hockey sense and puck-moving ability are still some of the best in the Kings system at the highest level. Whether he meets that ceiling or not is another question. He has been tasked with improving other aspects of his game currently, and there is still a long way to go for the natural talents of McKeown to reach their height.

But he is rated as the King's #2 Defensive prospect after Derek Fobort who was their mid first round pick.

We need defensive prospects though. He sounds rough but with some really high offensive upside. Not bad overall as a throw in.

Thanks top. Man that was updated fast. Was that you updating his page?

The line that he is a top prospect sounds good. The footnote was one top prospects in the draft write up that said:

Roland McKeown – D – Kingston Frontenacs

McKeown was the 2nd overall pick in the 2012 OHL Priority Selection. The blueliner had 35 points in 28 games with the Toronto Marlboros in 2011-12.

But he ended up picked #50, so they might have been a bit overexcited.

His offensive numbers and plus minus have all declined this year in juniors. But a recent write up on the Kings Prospects said:

6. (6) Roland McKeown, D, 7.0D

‏Drafted 2nd round, 50th overall, 2014

‏McKeown has had a rough 2014-15. The emphasis from the Kings has been for McKeown to work on his defensive game, and that task has proved troublesome for him in keeping up with the offense. Despite the struggles he has endured this year though, he remains a potentially game-breaking and dynamic defensemen. His hockey sense and puck-moving ability are still some of the best in the Kings system at the highest level. Whether he meets that ceiling or not is another question. He has been tasked with improving other aspects of his game currently, and there is still a long way to go for the natural talents of McKeown to reach their height.

But he is rated as the King's #2 Defensive prospect after Derek Fobort who was their mid first round pick.

We need defensive prospects though. He sounds rough but with some really high offensive upside. Not bad overall as a throw in.

All true but Kingston as a team is really struggling. He's -24 with 7 goals and 22 helpers in 61 games this year; with that kind of minus rating let's hope it's b/c he's playing big minutes in all situations. Seven goals as a D-man on a bad team suggests to me he's a PP guy, and very likely a PK guy too.