The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
AWACSooner

Official Trade Deadline, Re-signing, Trade Talk "Maybe it's really a fire sale" thread

Not necessarily coastal. At this pont, we've about run out of ways to dissect the team. It is becoming trade season. And it's always interesting to see trades happen. Fans typical over-value their players. Media always seems to think what it takes for teams to acquire certain players. And the trades that end up happening are ones nobody expected. But in AWA's proposal, I think that's heavy overpayment. Although I think Winnipeg will probably be a trade partner.

For instance, I'd propose something like Evander Kane for Jordan Staal.

Already see difference in EStaals game, since Jordans there.. Both will be staying... Holtby is the number one guy, and playing like it in Capsville.   John F said on aftermath, if Ronnie F  GETS a off the table offer he would do something, but if not, , he is going to wait till trade deadline..

The thing is dinz, that I don't think we've ever seen J at full throttle.  In Pitt, he had the luxury of anchoring the lines with Sid and Geno.  Here, he's had the excuse of his brother.

As I've sat and read thru the myriad of well thought out "trade proposals" we fans have suggested on multiple forums, both the obvious as well as frequently innovative twists, my only hope and prayer is that those to whom shoulder this responsibility and are shaping their vision for this team in the future can stay isolated from our frustrations of 6 years running at missing out on playoff hockey!!

Thus, IMHO,I see our present desperation of "trade everyone including Stormy" as the product of years of mounting agony. Surely, we all, me included, want to get back to experiencing the exhilaration of the arena when OUR crowd noise is deafening. Or the memorable times when fans brave the weather to go to the airport to greet our returning players when their plane arrives at all hours of the night. Or feel like our fans occupy 99% of the seats. Or not concern ourselves that the cost of parking is $15 rather than $10.

However, as we immerse ourselves in our mounting misery, we need to hope that RF etal not get caught up in this frenzy , lest trades be made that actually do little to return us to seeing post-season games. The Edmonton model comes to mind here. Please lets not go that route as I'm sure this franchise could not sustain that type of run.

In addition to the philosophical mentations I've expressed, I'm also reminded of many occasions that trades seem further frustrating when those traded regain their talents when playing for someone else. Thus the impetus to trade a player like Skinner truly could be a monumental mistake along those lines.

Seriously, Edmonton is the textbook model of wasted draft picks and stupid trades mired with craptastic coaching and GM decisions. 

At this point, they seriously need to be penalized by the NHL for being this stupid...because I am going to be really mad if they land McDavid and squander him the way they've squandered Yakupov, Hall, N-H, etc.

I still don't think we are going to blow the team up but I think we will make some noise.

Interesting post from Darren Dreger on the Toronto firing with player implications

Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger  ·  4h 4 hours ago

Shanahan and Nonis share in decision to fire Carlyle. All players now potential trade targets.

I wonder if we will get in on this. A Toronto/Canes trade has been mentioned on and off in the rumor mill for months now.

I still don't think we are going to blow the team up but I think we will make some noise.

Interesting post from Darren Dreger on the Toronto firing with player implications

I wonder if we will get in on this. A Toronto/Canes trade has been mentioned on and off in the rumor mill for months now.

Well the big one was E. for a package....including their first rounder.

Well the big one was E. for a package....including their first rounder.

I have also seen Skinner mentioned.

Yah, cause look how great the Gleason for Liles trade worked out for us? 

Cody Franson, maybe?  That's about it...ok, so maybe Kadri if he can stay healthy.

Yah, cause look how great the Gleason for Liles trade worked out for us? 

Actually, that trade was a very astute move by JR if you look at the contracts involved.  Saved us a fair amount of money.  I posted the numbers in one of the threads here; I'd look them up again if CapGeek didn't shut down. :(    

Actually, that trade was a very astute move by JR if you look at the contracts involved.  Saved us a fair amount of money.  I posted the numbers in one of the threads here; I'd look them up again if CapGeek didn't shut down. :(    

From nhlnumbers.com.  All numbers are for the 13/14 season.  Numbers differ for this season since JML's salary starts going down, and Gleason was bought out and resigned as UFA for significantly less.

Cap hit:

- Gleason: 2.113M

- Liles: 2.047

Salary:

- Gleason: 4.5M

- Liles: 4.25M

I could swear there was some retained salary.  However, can't find that on nhlnumbers.  Darn, miss capgeek already.

Edit: wait!  Retained salary is under "other" on nhlnumbers.com.  But it is a bit hard to deciper if you compare trades and retained salary.  Looks like no salary was retained for Gleason.

Edited by wxray1

From nhlnumbers.com.  All numbers are for the 13/14 season.  Numbers differ for this season since JML's salary starts going down, and Gleason was bought out and resigned as UFA for significantly less.

Cap hit:

- Gleason: 2.113M

- Liles: 2.047

Salary:

I could swear there was some retained salary.  However, can't find that on nhlnumbers.  Darn, miss capgeek already.

Edit: wait!  Retained salary is under "other" on nhlnumbers.com.  But it is a bit hard to deciper if you compare trades and retained salary.  Looks like no salary was retained for Gleason.

As I recall, the biggest part of the savings from the Gleason/ Liles trade would come next year.  Liles actual salary drops from $4.25m this year to $2.75m next year (cap hit $3.875 both years). Can't tell from NHLnumbers.com what Gleason would have been paid next year under his previous contract, but I think it may have still topped the $4m range.  Leafs did eat a bunch of actual salary when the bought out Gleason; thanks Leafs!  :P   

As far as retained salary, you may be thinking about Ruutu.  We did retain salary in his trade for Loktinov, which happened right about the same time if I recall correctly.   

Another thought on Liles: I was thinking his contract made him untradeable, but since it drops to $2.75 next year, I wonder if as this year (and it's higher Liles actual salary) winds down if someone desperate for a seasoned d-man around the deadline might throw us at least a low draft pick for Liles.  I thought he'd been playing reasonably well before he went out last time (I still wonder what his actual injury was). Heck, LA picked up McBain, didn't they? 

As I recall, the biggest part of the savings from the Gleason/ Liles trade would come next year.  Liles actual salary drops from $4.25m this year to $2.75m next year (cap hit $3.875 both years). Can't tell from NHLnumbers.com what Gleason would have been paid next year under his previous contract, but I think it may have still topped the $4m range.  Leafs did eat a bunch of actual salary when the bought out Gleason; thanks Leafs!  :P   

Correct.  You *can* find this data on nhlnumbers.com.  If you go to the Toronto page, there somewhat lost in the dark bar is a "year listing".  Choosing 13/14 reveals the state of affairs at the end of 2014, including Gleason's salary.  Liles is under "other" since he was part year.  So it is all there for somewhat easy reference.

2014/15:

2015/16:

- Gleason: 3.5M

- Liles: 2.75M

Yes, Toronto took a healthy chunk of money on that buy out.  But they ooze cash, so who cares up there?   Just a few season tickets is all it takes.

Correct.  You *can* find this data on nhlnumbers.com.  If you go to the Toronto page, there somewhat lost in the dark bar is a "year listing".  Choosing 13/14 reveals the state of affairs at the end of 2014, including Gleason's salary.  Liles is under "other" since he was part year.  So it is all there for somewhat easy reference.

Thanks wxray. 

Sometimes you don't appreciate what you've got till it's gone (CapGeek).

Edited by LakeLivin

Any deal for Ottawa's pick would be great. They could easily end up a top 5 pick and another lottery ticket. 

I'd give them Tlusty and our second rounder for their first. Maybe throw Sekera in if he wants out, keep our second.

Get that pick!!!

The one thing that makes me smile about rebuilding is having multiple picks in this draft.

Edited by remkin

If Staal and Ward won't waive their no trade does that make Skinner our best chance to shed salary and get a return?

That's what makes my head spin.

The overpriced players, not earning the money, and thus in need of trade consideration, the ones that would really change things:

1. Semin: unmovable due to contract.

2. E. Staal: NTC

3. C. Ward: NTC

4. J. Staal: NTC

The next on the list would indeed be Skinner.

AFTER Skinner....well no one after Skinner would really qualify as a game changer.

Thus, and ergo, if we cannot achieve fair return on Cam and the Staals refuse to move, the only move left that can be considered a game changer would be to trade Skinner.

and if I remember Skinner has a NTC that kicks in next year. I would check that but where since capgeek is history. If that is true this should be a decision time for Francis concerning Skinner. I'm happy with Skinner staying but trade options could become limited.

E & J give us a quality first line so I'm not sure we are even considering a Staal trade. That line also made it possible to put McClement back on the 4th line giving us a pretty good line that plays an important role. Rask looks like our future and Nash is a pretty good 3rd line center and a valuable player on our PK. Then again if our plan is to move Lindy to center one of them becomes expendable.

Tlusty and Sekera are the wildcards because we don't know what they want to do. We know we want them back but at what price?

Maybe we don't rebuild but retool for another season when players will be easier to move if the team doesn't make a run.

Yup..makes your head spin.

It's looking more and more likely that "we like our group".   Even if we don't really like our group.

I think Sekera will bring the biggest return but he's pretty much been paid already so not really in salary savings there to speak of.

It's looking more and more likely that "we like our group".   Even if we don't really like our group.

I think Sekera will bring the biggest return but he's pretty much been paid already so not really in salary savings there to speak of.

He might be expensive next year.  Something has to give.