The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
AWACSooner

Official Trade Deadline, Re-signing, Trade Talk "Maybe it's really a fire sale" thread

Assuming LA doesn't fade, which is possible but seems pretty unlikely now.

I'm sure this was the best option out there, but I had hoped that we would get the pick of a bubble team that might then fall out of the playoffs, but LA protected themselves from that. Now for us to get a top half pick they'd have to fall out of the playoffs, twice, and even then it would be in 2016.

Still, it is looking like a first rounder in this year's draft.

Also, while LA is built for playoffs and has been an incredibly difficult out, all 3 of their Western Confernce series went to 7 games last year, and they'll probably be playing a top seed, so it is possible for them to exit early.

Is the draft order for playoff teams determined by how long they stay or their overall regular season record?

Lucky for me I guess, I like cheering for L.A anyways.  I like the city, and they got a lot of players i like (Brown, Kopitar, Doughty, Carter, Quick).

Here's TheHockyNews scouting report on McKeown. Don't know how accurate or even how current their reports are . . .

Roland McKeown  6"1"  195lbs
Scouting Report

Assets: Does a little bit of everything reasonably well, including puck movement, physical play and point production. He doesn't really have any glaring weaknesses in his game.

Flaws: His best assets are also his biggest flaws, since he doesn't have any one quality that truly stands out. Also, he doesn't own ideal size for a big-league defenseman.

Career Potential: Solid all-around defenseman with some upside.

Edited by LakeLivin

A bit more on the prospect McKeown:

The Kings traded up to get him and felt he was a steal at #50 last year. He is still very young so his "off" year this year is less troubling.

Kings VP quote at the draft:

"He's an exceptional young puck-moving defenseman, he's got exceptional feet," Futa said. "He's got some areas of his defensive game that he's got to work out. Where we had him on our list, to be able to get him where we got him we're thrilled about."

He is the Captain of his Junior team and as such a character guy and future leader type, which Francis pointed out.

One scout on him at the draft:

NHL Central Scouting’s David Gregory

“I love this kid … he can play offensively and move the puck and has a bomb of a shot. When defending you, he presents himself as a big, strong and mobile guy. He'll push guys to the side; he's a legitimate top prospect.”

Elite prospects wrote this in 2013:

McKeown is a strong, do-it-all defensemen whose biggest asset is his ability to think the game and know his position. He makes strong, simple plays, has a good shot and distributes the puck effectively. (August 2013)

More from Kings VP Futa right after the draft:

“The player that we really felt strongly about, we had Roland McKeown rated in our first round."

"Roland’s an exceptional skater. He’s been a kid that’s been a part of all of Hockey Canada’s programs. He was a huge part of eating up minutes on a Kingston team that got upset there in the playoffs.”

Edited by remkin

LA will go deep and could repeat, especially with Kane now out of the picture in Chicago. They are certifiably hot, they have done this before, and they look poised to do it again. 

IMO, of course.

Remember, in 2012 they lost only four games throughout the playoffs and won the Cup despite finishing 8th in their division and not having home ice in any series. They are a completely different team come playoff time.   I think the Kings can repeat.. Of course, they will go down probaly 3-0 in a round or 2.... :)    Best of luck to Sekera and Tsluty

Is the draft order for playoff teams determined by how long they stay or their overall regular season record?

Lucky for me I guess, I like cheering for L.A anyways.  I like the city, and they got a lot of players i like (Brown, Kopitar, Doughty, Carter, Quick).

I'm pretty sure that it's how they finish the playoffs. The cup winner picks last.

So, theortically we could pick as high as #14 or as low as #30 this year.

hmmm, 6'1'' @ 195lbs.....so that would make him about a foot taller and 50lbs heavier than Murphy?  Interesting... 

Here's TheHockyNews scouting report on McKeown. Don't know how accurate or even how current their reports are . . .

Roland McKeown  6"1"  195lbs
Scouting Report

Assets: Does a little bit of everything reasonably well, including puck movement, physical play and point production. He doesn't really have any glaring weaknesses in his game.

Flaws: His best assets are also his biggest flaws, since he doesn't have any one quality that truly stands out. Also, he doesn't own ideal size for a big-league defenseman.

Career Potential: Solid all-around defenseman with some upside.

One site I saw listed McKeown at 6'1" 195 lbs but his OHL team lists him at 6'1" 180 lbs.  The Kings have removed him from their listings already so not sure what they had him at.  Hmmm . . .

Edited by LakeLivin

back home after suffering a stroke on January 4th,  Been at WakeMed and then at a nursing home since that time.  gave my ticket to the pastors.  do not know if or when I can make it a game on  a regular basis

A bit more on the prospect McKeown:

The Kings traded up to get him and felt he was a steal at #50 last year. He is still very young so his "off" year this year is less troubling.

Kings VP quote at the draft:

"He's an exceptional young puck-moving defenseman, he's got exceptional feet," Futa said. "He's got some areas of his defensive game that he's got to work out. Where we had him on our list, to be able to get him where we got him we're thrilled about."

He is the Captain of his Junior team and as such a character guy and future leader type, which Francis pointed out.

One scout on him at the draft:

NHL Central Scouting’s David Gregory

“I love this kid … he can play offensively and move the puck and has a bomb of a shot. When defending you, he presents himself as a big, strong and mobile guy. He'll push guys to the side; he's a legitimate top prospect.”

Elite prospects wrote this in 2013:

McKeown is a strong, do-it-all defensemen whose biggest asset is his ability to think the game and know his position. He makes strong, simple plays, has a good shot and distributes the puck effectively. (August 2013)

More from Kings VP Futa right after the draft:

“The player that we really felt strongly about, we had Roland McKeown rated in our first round."

"Roland’s an exceptional skater. He’s been a kid that’s been a part of all of Hockey Canada’s programs. He was a huge part of eating up minutes on a Kingston team that got upset there in the playoffs.”

Sounds like a perfect fit for Peters' system.

back home after suffering a stroke on January 4th, Been at WakeMed and then at a nursing home since that time. gave my ticket to the pastors. do not know if or when I can make it a game on a regular basis

I'm sorry to hear about your stroke! I wish you a full and speedy recovery!

Edited by Canes06cup17

back home after suffering a stroke on January 4th,  Been at WakeMed and then at a nursing home since that time.  gave my ticket to the pastors.  do not know if or when I can make it a game on  a regular basis

Sorry to hear that collie.  Good to have you back here.  Take care and continue your recovery and hopefully you'll be able to get to some games.

Take care of yourself and get better!

You know, with this 1st round pick from the Kings and the potential one we'll get, we could use them as trade bait to move up.

Someone else mentioned that having 2 picks this year would allow us / help us to move up in the draft if we wanted to. Just a thought..

Let's say we get the #4 pick....we can offer our 2 firsts and something to move up to top 2...maybe?

thanks for the wished for a speedy recovery,  after spending a month in the nursing home I realize how fortunate I am the impact of the stroke was not as bad as it could have been,  Have some slurred speech and some frozen muscles on the right side of my body mostly on my face and arm and leg.  There were some people at the home who were devastated by a stroke.  Not going to let this thing beat me.  Have to practice getting stronger each day.  In addition to this mess I am dealing with a enlarged prostrate

A  (conditional first) and a pretty promising D-prospect.  Check.

Good hockey trade for both teams.  I'd be surprised if Sekera wasn't signed by LA.

Well done Ronnie.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I was looking at defensive prospects that are projected to go in the late 1st and I came across this guy:

Brandon Carlo

I noticed him a couple weeks ago. His draft projections are all over the place. Some have him in the top 20, others have him in the 2nd round. Doubt he makes it out of the 1st.

Honestly, I hope Tlusty doesn't come back. I was just disappointed in the trade for the return we got on him. Honestly, never really like the guy. 

Sekera's trade was a good one. I did like it and and like the prospect as well.

Ronnie is doing a great job and has a lot of knowledge of who is in the system. He brought us Skinner and Sutter and both are top notch players. 

Now, what else is in the works? Think we will sign Nestrasil to a deal? I do like this kid and he does go to the net. Maybe, we will lose a few games to climb up the Draft chart!  (LOL...joking!)

thanks for the wished for a speedy recovery,  after spending a month in the nursing home I realize how fortunate I am the impact of the stroke was not as bad as it could have been,  Have some slurred speech and some frozen muscles on the right side of my body mostly on my face and arm and leg.  There were some people at the home who were devastated by a stroke.  Not going to let this thing beat me.  Have to practice getting stronger each day.  In addition to this mess I am dealing with a enlarged prostrate

I hope you have a full recovery! I don't know how old you are, but I turned 60 last August. I am in good health, but I notice aches and pains that were not around when I was younger. Health issues like yours certainly put hockey in perspective. Get well!