The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
AWACSooner

Official Trade Deadline, Re-signing, Trade Talk "Maybe it's really a fire sale" thread

I can't follow how Ronnie being traded as a rental was him blowing off a rebuild? He was there for all of 12 games. Then even he had stayed it's still likely he would have retired he was what 39, 40?

I think that smelled of sarcasm aimed at me.  I made the point that RF probably didn't see Sekera as walking out on a rebuild.

I don't think Sekera will be back, but not because of RF not being willing to make an offer because of being butt hurt over Sekera no re-signing now.   Francis had a long career in the league and has negotiated a deal or two as a player.  He understands.  Contrary to what some here want to believe, Sekera didn't have any long term ties to this organization or any loyalty beyond playing for his team.  The only way to get him to sign now is to offer considerably more money than would be available in the summer.

Say RF offered $5mil for 4 years.  I say that's a nice offer, but Sekera will have several offers of that or more in a few months.  What reason would he take the offer other than he just loved life in Raleigh?  Sekera was had all the leverage.  RF had none.  Maybe Sekera likes Raleigh and will let RF have an opportunity to match an offer.  That is about all he could expect.  Maybe playing for a Cup contender will show him what he's been missing and he'll want to stay in LA or someplace similar.  My money is on Sekera getting his money and a chance to play for a contender now.

I agree 100 percent. But that said, I don't think RF will miss him. He strikes me as reality-based guy who knew what he could offer, laid his best card on the table, lost, and is ready for a new hand.

I think that smelled of sarcasm aimed at me.  I made the point that RF probably didn't see Sekera as walking out on a rebuild.

It's official, you're def the grumpy old man.  :lol:

In one of the "Ask the Canes", or whatever it's called episodes, Sekera said his favorite road city was....LA.

Wish I had the link, but can't find it.  Maybe someone else remembers?

Go Kings.

And colliefan, get well soon.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Blackhawks are said to be closing in on a trade but I haven't seen anything that indicates a trade with the Canes.

A Chicago Tribune writer had a tweet that Blackhawks might be looking for a player of Skinner or Mike Cammalleri calibur. That type of player but using them only as an example not as a trade target.

BD58 did you see something that mentions Skinner specifically?

I would take Saad and a 2nd round pick. I'm going by that article and also some logic here. Skinner is concussion prone and cannot play defense plus his NTC kicks in soon.

Keyword I said might. This is all speculation mind you. Nothing concrete.

Edited by bluedevil58

It is interesting. I must admit it has my attention.

It appears GMs aren't waiting around for deadline this year. With Jagr going to Florida and the Clarkson/Horton trade between CBJ and Toronto and now a Blakhawks deal rumored close it might be a busy weekend.

I do like the idea of moving while a team is desperate. And while I'd miss Skinner's dynamic play, the defensive part, the weak on the boards, the lack of great passing, the terrible plus minus, the long droughts, the concussions, might be worth looking at.  I do wonder what he would bring. It would have to be a big return. Since the Blackhawks want to make their run, I wonder who they'd give up. Picks and prospects would be the traditional way to stay strong for the playoffs, but would that be enough. Don't they have a blue chip prospect?

I think if we were to trade Skinner, we could find a better trading partner than Chicago.  I read an article about a week ago saying how the Ducks, Canucks, and Maple Leafs have expressed interest in Skinner.  The Ducks have Nick Ritchie to offer in addition to a quality dman.  The Maple Leafs have a slew of prospects, picks, and Dion Phaneuf to offer.  The Canucks have a couple prospects and Alex Edler.  Even if Winnipeg came offering something, we could get a similar deal they got for Kane.  Of all teams, I think Anaheim is the best trade parter.  I think they can net the best return for us, and I think Skinner would fit their up and down style better than the other teams. 

Thanks, I was a bit mindblown hah.

When Skinner is playing well, he is a lot of fun to watch. The thing that scares me is the concussion issue. He might go on to play 15 more years, but one more hit, and he might be done. I know that could be said about any player, Skinner has a history. Also, he has been in the league long enough that his game should have developed more. He might go on to have a long,successful career, and if he does, that's great, but the odds are stacked against him. I would trade him if we could get a decent return. I don't have any idea what that return would be, that would be up to RF to determine.

I will be surprised if Skinner is on the block. I suppose you never know but this speculation was all generated from a story that used him as an example, interested in a forward like like Skinner.

This is from Spector's Hockey this morning

Mark Lazerus reports a “confident and unusually direct” Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman claims he’s getting “pretty close” to making a trade for a short-term acquisition for sidelined winger Patrick Kane. Lazerus cites a source claiming the Blackhawks are particularly interested in Arizona’s Antoine Vermette and Columbus’ Cam Atkinson.

It seems that the top teams are looking for rentals rather than a long term player. I really think Skinner would be hard to trade. Poor defence, lack of grit, and the concussion issue don't add up to a very tradeable player. I hope he turns into the player we all hoped he would be, but, to me, he looks like Phil Kessel Lite.

I doubt Skinner going to Blackhawks will happen.

They are up against the salary cap and will have to dump a lot of salary to fit him in, plus they will have to dump players during the off-season just to fit under next year's cap.