The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
AWACSooner

Official Trade Deadline, Re-signing, Trade Talk "Maybe it's really a fire sale" thread

Now I think the front office is just having fun with us!

Chip Alexander @ice_chip  ·  29m 29 minutes ago

EStaal not at morning skate.

EStaal was at practice Thursday. Also Bellemore, who is not at skate.

Mike Maniscalco @mikemaniscalco  ·  7m 7 minutes ago

Bill Peters said a bit of a virus for EStaal and Bellemore kept them out of mornjng skate but shouldn't keep them out of the lineup.

I'm glad that was settled before it went viral B) .

Some interesting tidbits from Ron Francis on the Staal brothers:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/34807/rumblings-canes-gm-says-not-trading-staal-brothers

What he would confirm is that he has no interest in trading Jordan Staal after rumors flew out of Pittsburgh last weekend.

"There was no truth to any of that stuff," said Francis.

Francis sees the team's rebuild being around the Staal brothers -- Eric and Jordan -- as those two players are important to the fabric of a team that’s getting younger.

"I remember reading an article with Ken Holland a while ago, and he talked about the importance of good veteran guys, good leaders. We’ve got some good young pieces, but you can’t just throw them to the wolves. You have to have support around them," said Francis in underlining the value of keeping both Staal brothers.

"Listen, Wayne Gretzky got traded, so there’s always a chance that anybody gets traded. But for me, these are good pieces for our team; you see them out there, they’re 6-foot-4, heavy, they can play with the puck down low and they’re hard to defend. Teams are looking for those kinds of players and we have them. I’d much rather keep them than move them.’’

Edited by coastal_caniac

Skinner might fit the "we've dot some good young pieces", but doesn't fit the 'they’re 6-foot-4, heavy, they can play with the puck down low and they’re hard to defend."

Just thinking.

Does sound like moving a Staal is not in the plans though.

Edited by remkin

As long as Eric can play wing with Jordan, I wouldn't even consider trading him. Since being moved to wing, he seems more aggressive offensively, he is getting involved physically, and, generally, playing big. This seems to be the style of play that a lot of fans have wanted to see for a long time.

I just read on the fourth period that the Canes are actively shopping Semin, and are willing to retain a significant part of his salary. NHL rules allow a team to retain up to 50% of salary. If Francis could get rid of Semin, would it be worth 3.5 million to pay him NOT to play here?

That's interesting. Maybe he was auditioning when we played Philly. Thanks for the link coastal.

As for the question asked by caniac6. Would it be worth it to keep half his salary? It seems steep but if we bought him out at the end of the season we would owe him $14 million over six years. If we retained half of his salary in a trade it would cost us $10.5 million + whatever we retain from this year but he would be off the books in 3 years. I also assume we would get something back (probable not much) and as long as it wasn't another toxic contract. I think we would have to consider it.

That's if my math is right and I'm never sure I understand the math.

Eric Staal "heavy" may be the funniest thing I've ever read.

He's not putting people through the boards, but he does seem stronger on the puck and along the boards. Also, he is not allowing other players to push him around.

He's not putting people through the boards, but he does seem stronger on the puck and along the boards. Also, he is not allowing other players to push him around.

You say this based on - what? One fight with a has-been d-man in Toronto? Even if so, where has this more aggressive Eric been for the past 10 years?

MIA, that's where.

Edited by top-shelf-1

You say this based on - what? One fight with a has-been d-man in Toronto? Even if so, where has this more aggressive Eric been for the past 10 years?

MIA, that's where.

Just an observation.Sorry if I've offended your expertise.

I doubt Skinner going to Blackhawks will happen.

They are up against the salary cap and will have to dump a lot of salary to fit him in, plus they will have to dump players during the off-season just to fit under next year's cap.

I actually wouldn't be surprised, in light of RF's glowing assessment of the Staals. If the game is to dump salary and no one will take Semin, Skinner is about all that's left. Khudo is not ready for prime time, and Cam looks great. And though I'd hate to see Skinner go, at least he'd be landing on a team unafraid to respond when their elite talent is targeted. Unlike his current one.

I don't read the "someone like" Skinner from the Hawks' reporter in quite the same literal sense others are. This close to deadline, saying "someone like" is as good as saying, "if the deal is right, he's who we'd want." 

Just an observation.Sorry if I've offended your expertise.

dude, really? the sarcastic victim game? If you have anything to back up your claim, let's hear it. Playing with a bit more edge in the second half of the year to try to hoodwink the organization - one more time - into believing you're worth your salary does not impress me. 

Edited by top-shelf-1

I think it is becoming clear that Francis will consider any deal that makes sense for the Canes. What we aren't clear on yet is his vision for the team. We have learned overtime he wants to become bigger, stronger and faster. Who doesn't but by indicating he is building around the Staals isn't he saying that is exactly what he wants.

I'll believe a Semin trade when I see it. I'm doubtful on Skinner but do think it is a possibility.

It could still be a few interesting days before we can catch our breath and sit back and get ready for Draft Day moves.

Impressed RF enough to say he's not moving him.

dude, really? the sarcastic victim game? If you have anything to back up your claim, let's hear it. Playing with a bit more edge in the second half of the year to try to hoodwink the organization - one more time - into believing you're worth your salary does not impress me. 

I think it is becoming clear that Francis will consider any deal that makes sense for the Canes. What we aren't clear on yet is his vision for the team. We have learned overtime he wants to become bigger, stronger and faster. Who doesn't but by indicating he is building around the Staals isn't he saying that is exactly what he wants.

Yup. That's exactly what he's saying, and he said it when he was hired: "We need to get bigger."

No argument here, and with Eric finally on the wing where he belongs, it's possible he recaptures the magic of his youth.

I continue to hope he will - but unlike the years from 06 to 09, I'll prepared to be pleasantly surprised if - rather than being certain it will - actually happen. 

So last year, Cam was everybody's whipping boy. I don't see much of that now. That leaves the Staals, and Eric in particular (last year was Jordan's turn) to beat up on. Well, there is no denying that Eric is underperforming his contract and has been for a while. BUT, he still has elite skill that will not be seen in Raleigh unless we draft and develop someone for the future. I do not see Lindholm having the potential to do what Staal has already done. And Lindholm was the 5th overall pick in his draft. I would like to see him stay in Raleigh at a price that is more in line with what he has done than the contract he got 6 years ago based on what JR believed he would do. We'll see what RF has in mind in the offseason, but I think it would be very hard to get fair value for Eric with his salary next year.

Yeah, Hillen's a UFA, so this was all about Arizona's fourth coming back.  Hillen can fill in short term until Murphy's ready to come back into the lineup.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I'll miss Gleason. I know that goes against the majority here but I thought Gleason brought grit and experience to our D. Still it was a good trade as I doubt Gleason was part of our future and as we build toward the future. We are stocking up on draft picks.

Gleason gets a chance at the playoffs. Good for him.

Yeah, Hillen's a UFA, so this was all about Arizona's fourth coming back.  Hillen can fill in short term until Murphy's ready to come back into the lineup.

Hillen could also be flipped for a 7th round pick before the deadline. GREAT trade!!!

Gleason had a nice bounce back year and was fine in a 5-6 role here. He will help Washington. Great return for Francis with the high 4th!

So, Bellemore, Dwyer, and McClement are the only 3 UFA's left.

Edited by coastal_caniac