The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
AWACSooner

Official Trade Deadline, Re-signing, Trade Talk "Maybe it's really a fire sale" thread

Well, can anyone say SRM? Talk about getting that in spades? Just learned about Gleason's trade, and although probably in line with other moves, "team toughness" sure took another downturn! How can we back fill from that? The #30 light weight team in the NHL just went down another notch. Now I know that it's virtually impossible to protect vulnerable players, ie Skinner, but I really think we'll miss the likes of Gleason, perceived slowness and all.

The 4th rounder, particularly coming from Arizona(more like a low 3rd) is nice, but where is the move to get "tougher" to play against going to come from? Granted, Nasty does add that element, but to achieve what Peters had implied when hired, our scouts and others better start beating they bushes, if they have not all ready done so.

Edited by KJUNKANE

Although, Gleason isn't the player he once was, he was a good player for the Canes for a good while. I never thought he gave less than a good effort. Good luck in the playoffs, I hope.

McGinn will bring that toughness. Not necessarily as a fighter, but he is physical and smart and will bring a certain aspect of toughness. Which brings me to the point I believe we are going to try to draft that toughness and develop it rather than acquire it. We may sign someone with similar grit to Gleason's in the offseason for the immediate future, but the long term approach seems to be developing that toughness. 

Also, I'm surprised we got what we did for Gleason. Happy with the trade, whether or not Hillen sticks around.

Malone, and last night Bellemore's play maybe showed that he's expected to pick up some of the "grit" slack?

Or maybe E given his recent run in with Phaneuf?  :P:sarcasm:

Edited by LakeLivin

I know Gleason has regressed from where he once was, but are we also seeing a change in what teams want from their d-men?  A higher skills / physicality ratio than in the past?

Gleason has been a big part of this organization for a long time. I think this time really is goodbye. Goodluck.

Fourth round pick is really an AHL roster player, but every now and then a needle in the haystack, so, overall, meh, but better than nothing for a guy defintely not coming back.

As to toughness, Bellemore, Malone. But really two things: one: the day of the goon is over and fighting is on the decline, but two this is the strip down phase. Francis will add more grit in free agency. That is one thing we can do. Right now we are moving UFA veterans for picks and prospects. Addding any significant player now would be if he made a move to trade a non UFA.

I do agree that Francis wants to get bigger and faster, but his actual comment was "all else being equal, you want the bigger player". He actually ranked speed ahead of big. But I do get needing some edge.

Semin....well if someone want him, this would be the guy to take back some salary on.

Skinner is now on fire. This makes me want to keep him more, but also might make him more tradable. It would have to be a big return though. I doubt it, but you never know. He is looking much more Skinner-like lately, but then again, sell high, and the concussions....never know.

Wonder if McClement could fetch a second rounder?

Points all well taken, including McGinn, but I'm most concerned for the remainder of this year as well as 15-16? And you comment "pick up grit with skill + speed", in the off season, but if that's the trend, than what team will make that available on the open market?

Edited by KJUNKANE

There's usually some grit or physical Malone types out there. The trick is a guy that brings that edge and speed or skill, that is harder to come by. I do agree that McGinn can be that exact kind of guy. I still have high hopes for him in that kind of role.

Edited by remkin

I have read that he is the type of guy that teams want for the playoffs. Veteran, wins faceoffs, defensively responsible, etc. That there would be a lot of interest in him. But...

Then I was really hoping for a second rounder for Tlusty. So, probably not. That's why I posed it as a question. Hoping someone might have heard something on return.

It's nice compiling a bunch of low round picks, but first and second rounders are by far more likely to really make and help the team. Just wishing we could pick up a couple more picks in the first two rounds.

Edited by remkin

McClement offers a very specific skill set that may make him a target of a couple of teams.  Face offs and penalty kills could make him a target.  Tlusty was a nice player, but he didn't really excell at anything in particular.  Most playoff caliber teams have a couple of "Tlustys".  Everybody doesn't have a "McClement".  A 2nd would be great, but I firmly expect at least a 3rd or a decent prospect for McClement. 

I'm enjoying the idea of RF gathering up some assets for the future.  His predecessor could never seem to read the writing on the wall.  The play since the turning of the calendar would have had JR back in his WLOG mode and saying that they just needed to make a couple of tweaks.  This team needs an enema, and RF is doing his best.  The road to long term success is by drafting and developing players.

Edited by super_dave_1

I just can't get too excited about the moves. Francis is avoiding letting UFA's walk for nothing, but outside of Sekera, it's pretty close to getting nothing. Players taken in round 3 and below have a 12% chance of playing >200 games, COMBINED. So mostly we are replacing our UFA's with career Checkers and Everblades. Now there are hits, and if you can scount like LA and Detroit, you can find them, but they are rare.

The best thing is that we can call up some guys and look at them and SRM.

Yes, the deal w/ LA has returned a nice prospect and a first rounder. THAT is good. But we lose Sekera, so....have to see how that works out. Now, if we could ever pull off the old rent then resign move w/ Sekera I would be in the Francis is a genius camp, but that would be a long shot.

This is why I so wish we could at least get a second rounder. I was hoping we could package a couple of guys, maybe Dwyer and McClement, outsource part of our PK for one second rounder.

At this point, might have to trade someone else to get more picks in this draft, but who? Semin? Yeah right.

Edited by remkin

Gleason has been a big part of this organization for a long time. I think this time really is goodbye. Goodluck.

Fourth round pick is really an AHL roster player, but every now and then a needle in the haystack, so, overall, meh, but better than nothing for a guy defintely not coming back.

As to toughness, Bellemore, Malone. But really two things: one: the day of the goon is over and fighting is on the decline, but two this is the strip down phase. Francis will add more grit in free agency. That is one thing we can do. Right now we are moving UFA veterans for picks and prospects. Addding any significant player now would be if he made a move to trade a non UFA.

I do agree that Francis wants to get bigger and faster, but his actual comment was "all else being equal, you want the bigger player". He actually ranked speed ahead of big. But I do get needing some edge.

Semin....well if someone want him, this would be the guy to take back some salary on.

Skinner is now on fire. This makes me want to keep him more, but also might make him more tradable. It would have to be a big return though. I doubt it, but you never know. He is looking much more Skinner-like lately, but then again, sell high, and the concussions....never know.

Wonder if McClement could fetch a second rounder? i hate to see   McClement go, , but like  Tripp said, his stock is rising..

I just can't get too excited about the moves. Francis is avoiding letting UFA's walk for nothing, but outside of Sekera, it's pretty close to getting nothing. Players taken in round 3 and below have a 12% chance of playing >200 games, COMBINED. So mostly we are replacing our UFA's with career Checkers and Everblades. Now there are hits, and if you can scount like LA and Detroit, you can find them, but they are rare.

Yes, the deal w/ LA has returned a nice prospect and a first rounder. THAT is good. But we lose Sekera, so....have to see how that works out. Now, if we could ever pull off the old rent then resign move w/ Sekera I would be in the Francis is a genius camp, but that would be a long shot.

This is why I so wish we could at least get a second rounder. I was hoping we could package a couple of guys, maybe Dwyer and McClement, outsource part of our PK for one second rounder.

At this point, might have to trade someone else to get more picks in this draft, but who? Semin? Yeah right.

Rem, the isles  have like 4  guys  taken 3rd round or 4th, that are starting now.. so i guess you never now..

What would you do with the UFA's then?

Patty Dwyer is a healthy scratch in todays game against the NYI. Could that mean something simmering? Also McClement has two goals in the game today. :o

I think we are all wondering about Dwyer. I hope we sign McClement but the way things are going I say its 50/50 if he gets moved.

RF's been the GM how long? *yawn*

Dude, he's been in the org nearly all his adult life and was JR's assistant. He's seen this before.

That said, he's clearly decided to the the pressure of his contract ending next year push him, which I'm totally fine with.

I think we are all wondering about Dwyer. I hope we sign McClement but the way things are going I say its 50/50 if he gets moved.

I'm really hopeful they keep McClement with the monies freed up with these moves.

What would you do with the UFA's then?

Well I've been clear I'd have tried hard to sign Sekera, but I am not privy to the demands and we've discussed that and that ship has sailed. I'm guessing Sekera really didn't want to be here, so there wasn't much Francis could do in the end. But the exciting move there would have been re-signing him.  Same w/ Tlusty really, I have to assume that he just wanted too much, but we lose a contibuting player and gain two picks with a combined 10% chance of making the team.  Gleason? Whatever. That 5th rounder has about a 2% chance.

But I've been posting for a while now that moving the UFA's will not be anything to get excited about. That's the point. Maybe more moves come before the draft, and these are moves that apparently have to be made, but they don't do much to make this team better other than not getting blanked on the return.

Yes, the late round first rounder could eventually end up as a nice player, and so could our prospect, eventually. But we give up Sekera with no clear idea of how he'll be replaced. So not really very exciting.

And third and fifth and sixth rounders? For Tlusty and Gleason? Ok. Fine.

Put another way:

Sekera, Tlusty, Gleason >> late first round pick, third, fifth and sixth round picks.

I know that's not really the issue if those guys couldn't be re signed, but it makes the point.

Put in a  more positive way. Hopefully these are not THE moves. They are just the ones that have happened so far. But they aren't very exciting in how they will improve the team. Thus, I am not excited about these moves, which is what I posted.

Remember we have to restock the Chex as well as the Canes. The percentage of late round picks isn't as high but good drafting can enhance the odds. Picks can also be used to complete a player trade and of course you have options to swap or trade picks at the draft.

What we are getting so far has very little to do with this years team or next. I expect Francis will try and build our current roster over the summer.

I hope so anyway