The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
AWACSooner

Official Trade Deadline, Re-signing, Trade Talk "Maybe it's really a fire sale" thread

Remember we have to restock the Chex as well as the Canes. The percentage of late round picks isn't as high but good drafting can enhance the odds. Picks can also be used to complete a player trade and of course you have options to swap or trade picks at the draft.

What we are getting so far has very little to do with this years team or next. I expect Francis will try and build our current roster over the summer.

I hope so anyway

Those are all good points and it is better to get a 5th round pick than just have a guy walk and there is SRM to consider as well, I just think that this part is kind of the dirty work in a way. The expiring of UFA's is only really avoided by signing them. So they couldn't be signed, you do what you gotta do. Just not directly very exciting really. The key things will probably come later.

Well I've been clear I'd have tried hard to sign Sekera, but I am not privy to the demands and we've discussed that and that ship has sailed. I'm guessing Sekera really didn't want to be here, so there wasn't much Francis could do in the end. But the exciting move there would have been re-signing him.  Same w/ Tlusty really, I have to assume that he just wanted too much, but we lose a contibuting player and gain two picks with a combined 10% chance of making the team.  Gleason? Whatever. That 5th rounder has about a 2% chance.

Yes, you have made it abundantly clear that you would have resigned Sekera. Don't you think that thought occurred to Francis? For whatever reason, there was no deal to be made, so RF took his lemons and made lemonade. Sekera leaves a big hole, but them's the breaks. Kind of the same with Tlusty.

On Gleason, really hasn't Jordan shown that he can skate a shift about as well as Gleason? Gleason gets to play in the playoffs and RF gets another asset. I get your point about the odds of deeper picks making it, but that's why this team needs to improve in scouting and development. I think that is what Francis is moving towards. This organization needs a pool of players in Charlotte that can step up when injuries occur or just plain force their way into the lineup.

I've asked before, but I'll try again. Rem, you are the GM. What is your offer to Sekera to get him to sign an extension?

Yes, you have made it abundantly clear that you would have resigned Sekera. Don't you think that thought occurred to Francis? For whatever reason, there was no deal to be made, so RF took his lemons and made lemonade. Sekera leaves a big hole, but them's the breaks. Kind of the same with Tlusty.

I've asked before, but I'll try again. Rem, you are the GM. What is your offer to Sekera to get him to sign an extension?

SD, on part two, I've answered that twice now and once directly to you, if you really want to know, it's on here somewhere.

On part one: of course that occured to Francis. Francis is the new boss and people want to think he is going to be a brilliant GM. I know I do. But that doesn't mean we can't dissent or question.  Of course I've prefaced everything with "we aren't privy to the facts of the offers or discussions".  In the end, we don't know what Sekera was asking for, or if he really wanted to stay without testing the playoffs (rental) and the UFA market. I suspect Francis really tried to sign him, but PK also might have a role in this. BUT, that would have been the exciting move.

Yes, I know I've made that very clear, but there is an imprecision that leads to this discussion. I said I'm not excited by the moves. I'm not saying that they were bad moves. Just that they are not nearly enough and that taken by themselves. When I said I was not excited by the moves, you asked me what I would do with the UFAs. Well if they were asking far too much, I'd trade them for what I could get. But I wouldn't be excited about it.

That said, if you said: "they are going, there is nothing you can do about it but trade them all for whatever you can get". If I had to fully accept that PK was willing to pay Sekera, but he just didn't really want to stay, or that he was just asking crazy money, then I'd say I'm happy about the return on Sekera. That pick and that prospect have promise. On Tlusty and Gleason, you never know. It's better than nothing. Still not exciting.

I will add that if RF has an idea on how to replace Sekera. If he actually makes a move that does that, then the pick and the prospect will become very exciting.

Edited by remkin

SD, on part two, I've answered that twice now and once directly to you, if you really want to know, it's on here somewhere.

Sorry I missed it, but I'm not about to look through all this to find it.  This isn't a personal thing anyway.  I'm just of the opinion that it was going to take an overpayment of massive proportions to get Sekera to forgo free agency.  I'd think RF will be on the phone to his agent as soon as free agency begins. Other than a couple of years, he didn't have any ties here and has not played for a team in contention, so I am really not surprised that he doesn't want to turn in his lottery ticket for what is behind Door #1 just yet.

Keep in mind this one little thing.  JR was in the same spot with Ruutu and Gleason a few years ago, and see how those resignings worked out.

Edited by super_dave_1

As I've said before, I'd rather sign McClement than trade him. Can't see higher than a 3rd round pick for him, maybe less. 4th line was great tonight w/Nestrasil in for Dwyer. I think Nestrasil could slot elsewhere if we could bring back the whole 4th line, but the key is hanging onto McClement.

BTW, so far SRM is not working out.

John and Tripp commented on what draft picks we have right now:

2 (LA)       First Round
1              Second Round
1              Third Round
2 (ARI)     Fourth Round
2 (WPG)    Fifth Round
2 (OTT)    Sixth Round
1              Seventh Round

As far as late round players making it into the NHL, the Red Wings have been masters at finding those diamonds in the roughs.

Datsyuk was a 6th rounder; Zetterberg, a 7th rounder; Franzen, a 3rd rounder and Helm, a 5th rounder.

I see the Canes working towards this as an organization.

I wouldn't put too much hope on being able to (re-) sign Sekera. Dean Lombardi is on record a number of times saying that he does not believe in giving up first rounders for any rental player unless he convinced that he can extend/re-sign him.

Of course there are always exceptions but my guess is he had RF's permission to talk to Sekera and/or his agent before the trade and was ok with what it would take. 

So, Bellemore, Dwyer, and McClement are the only 3 UFA's left.

Chris Terry is also a free agent I believe, at least according to the contract chart on this site. Didn't realize that. Some may not count him but I think he's actually a decent player and has showed some hustle this year.

He's got a great shot on the PP and is good in the shootout. I knew about those already so what has impressed me this year is that he has shown a decent work-ethic and has made some nice back-checking plays even though he's not the fastest guy in the world.

The only reason I bring this up is that Terry is a guy that's almost never talked about. Not sure if that is good or bad. I'm curious if he would generate any interest from another team, or if he is even in our plans for next year. Not a huge deal either way but I would have no problem with bringing him back. He's put up respectable numbers for where he is slotted and he's not going to cost much.

I think the questions surrounding him are, is he a player that needs to be consistently pushed or has he figured it out? Is he a guy that can handle a regular work-load, or is he better at playing spot-duty?

Most won't care but I thought I would take a break from discussing all of the highly paid guys.

I think Terry is a Restricted Free Agent.

The remaining Unrestricted Free Agents are

McClement, Dwyer, Bellemore and Hillen

That doesn't mean Terry or another roster player couldn't be in a trade mix. But it does mean you aren't under the same trade or chance losing him pressure.

Canes Cruise By Denis Gormanc

"I know all our guys - obviously upcoming free agents - are in play," Peters said before the Hurricanes' 5-3 win over the New York Islanders Saturday afternoon at Nassau Coliseum.

I wonder what our team will look like come Monday night?

Well I've been clear I'd have tried hard to sign Sekera, but I am not privy to the demands and we've discussed that and that ship has sailed. I'm guessing Sekera really didn't want to be here, so there wasn't much Francis could do in the end. But the exciting move there would have been re-signing him.  Same w/ Tlusty really, I have to assume that he just wanted too much, but we lose a contibuting player and gain two picks with a combined 10% chance of making the team.  Gleason? Whatever. That 5th rounder has about a 2% chance.

But I've been posting for a while now that moving the UFA's will not be anything to get excited about. That's the point. Maybe more moves come before the draft, and these are moves that apparently have to be made, but they don't do much to make this team better other than not getting blanked on the return.

Yes, the late round first rounder could eventually end up as a nice player, and so could our prospect, eventually. But we give up Sekera with no clear idea of how he'll be replaced. So not really very exciting.

And third and fifth and sixth rounders? For Tlusty and Gleason? Ok. Fine.

Put another way:

Sekera, Tlusty, Gleason >> late first round pick, third, fifth and sixth round picks.

I know that's not really the issue if those guys couldn't be re signed, but it makes the point.

Put in a  more positive way. Hopefully these are not THE moves. They are just the ones that have happened so far. But they aren't very exciting in how they will improve the team. Thus, I am not excited about these moves, which is what I posted.

Are they?

I mean, we've had those guys for a bit now and we've seen poor results. I know there are a lot of other factors leading to the team's disappointment, but at some point you have to look elsewhere. Why keep resigning the same players if we aren't winning? I'm not saying they're bad players, but it definitely wasn't working out here.

And I don't think these are "THE" moves. Of course there will be more moves. We may not see more moves before the deadline but I think it'll be a busy offseason for the team. I know it sucks seeing a few fan favorites leave but this is what the teams needs to do. Move in a different direction. Let Peters and Francis bring in their guys that they think fit their system. 

EDIT: Also, we got a high 4th for Gleason which is crazy to me. 

Edited by TheFaulker

Second that. Really good news. I was hoping Francis could get this done. A bird in the hand..and all that.

I am also glad we re-signed McClemment. We don't want to trade away our entire #1 PK, and he plays a key role on a 4th line that has been surprisingly effective. I can't help wondering if people would have been happier with a 4th round pick though.

OK, OK, on Sekera, for the record, I was pretty much done bringing it up but I was asked what I would do. At this point, unless more info becomes available, I assume Sekera was asking far too much, or did not really want to stay and so signing him was not an option. In that case I am pretty happy with the return.

Our new Kings prospect is not just a toss in. The Kings traded a player to move up into the second round to get him and the Kings, like Detroit have a massive scouting operation and are pretty good a drafting. He also was projected as a possible first rounder, and the Kings claim they had him on their list as a first rounder.

Chris Terry is also a free agent I believe, at least according to the contract chart on this site. Didn't realize that. Some may not count him but I think he's actually a decent player and has showed some hustle this year.

He's got a great shot on the PP and is good in the shootout. I knew about those already so what has impressed me this year is that he has shown a decent work-ethic and has made some nice back-checking plays even though he's not the fastest guy in the world.

The only reason I bring this up is that Terry is a guy that's almost never talked about. Not sure if that is good or bad. I'm curious if he would generate any interest from another team, or if he is even in our plans for next year. Not a huge deal either way but I would have no problem with bringing him back. He's put up respectable numbers for where he is slotted and he's not going to cost much.

I think the questions surrounding him are, is he a player that needs to be consistently pushed or has he figured it out? Is he a guy that can handle a regular work-load, or is he better at playing spot-duty?

Most won't care but I thought I would take a break from discussing all of the highly paid guys.

Not me, as you know. I like his sandpaper :)

I think Terry is a Restricted Free Agent.

The remaining Unrestricted Free Agents are

McClement, Dwyer, Bellemore and Hillen

That doesn't mean Terry or another roster player couldn't be in a trade mix. But it does mean you aren't under the same trade or chance losing him pressure.

No, he's a UFA. The team has a handy contract chart here.

I just can't get too excited about the moves. Francis is avoiding letting UFA's walk for nothing, but outside of Sekera, it's pretty close to getting nothing. Players taken in round 3 and below have a 12% chance of playing >200 games, COMBINED. So mostly we are replacing our UFA's with career Checkers and Everblades. Now there are hits, and if you can scount like LA and Detroit, you can find them, but they are rare.

Remember we have to restock the Chex as well as the Canes. The percentage of late round picks isn't as high but good drafting can enhance the odds. Picks can also be used to complete a player trade and of course you have options to swap or trade picks at the draft.

What we are getting so far has very little to do with this years team or next. I expect Francis will try and build our current roster over the summer.

I hope so anyway

Thank you OBXer.  You beat me to it.  Remkin: love ya, but your stats were starting to get under my skin.  (It is all OK, discussion is good, just being real.)  

It is a foundation.  We talk about "development" a lot here, something the Wings are supposedly great at.  But if you have no foundation in the AHL (and maybe even a little in the ECHL), then you got no good way to build that future at a decent level.  If you expect to develop future NHLers with nothing but a bunch of ECHLers and PTOers (as has happened this year), then you are off the rails.  

So, it isn't all about the NHL.  It is also about having solid "Crash Davis" types in the AHL too.  You need your Crash Davis to show "Meat" he is nothing Keith Aucoin to show your Boychuck he is nothing and having a Quad Blaupunkt means squat.

I for one am glad to see RF give this a shot.  Will our scouting staff be up to it?  I don't know.  They haven't had loads of picks recently.  I think one year JR did stock a lot of picks, but ended up trading many away.  This is new territory, and I for one am glad to see it.  

I can't help wondering if people would have been happier with a 4th round pick though.

I'm curious as to exactly what you are implying here?

I'm not seeing anything but positive comments on the resigning.

Edited by coastal_caniac

:D, too funny.

...and thanks for putting the link o the contract chart up.

McClement resigned to a 2-year deal.

1.3 mil and 1.1 mil per

Nice!

I was hoping this would get done but I didn't think it would happen. As time went by I actually became more optimistic. Not sure why, just a feeling. For that amount he must have wanted to stay here, he likely could have received the same amount on the open market. Peters uses him in a lot of key situations, he's a big part of the PK, and our fourth line has been talked about as one of our positives, hopefully that made McLement feel appreciated here.

Edited by Kyrule

I wouldn't put too much hope on being able to (re-) sign Sekera. Dean Lombardi is on record a number of times saying that he does not believe in giving up first rounders for any rental player unless he convinced that he can extend/re-sign him.

Of course there are always exceptions but my guess is he had RF's permission to talk to Sekera and/or his agent before the trade and was ok with what it would take. 

Nope; King's GM Dean Lombardi said he didn't have contact with Sekera prior to the trade. 

http://lakingsinsider.com/2015/02/25/lombardi-discusses-process-impetus-of-sekera-trade/

That article is interesting; basically, Lombardi said he was driven by a responsibility to aggressively give his current players the best chance possible for a Cup given what they've done over the last couple of years.  Reading between the lines it almost seems like he acknowledges that he might have overpaid.

But I do agree with you on the chances of us re-signing Sekera probably not being all that great.

Edited by LakeLivin

I stand corrected..I think. After all the team should know. Both NHL Numbers and spotrac have Terry listed as a RFA

Great news on McClement. He brings a specific skill set that isn't easily replace, and the terms are pretty tasty too. RF is having a good week.

. . .

I was hoping this would get done but I didn't think it would happen. As time went by I actually became more optimistic. Not sure why, just a feeling. For that amount he must have wanted to stay here, he likely could have received the same amount on the open market. Peters uses him in a lot of key situations, he's a big part of the PK, and our fourth line has been talked about as one of our positives, hopefully that made McLement feel appreciated here.

Add me to the "Thumbs Up" list on McClement. 

And I find it encuraging that he did want to stay here. The players obviously have a much better gauge of how things look going forward than we do, so I take this as a positive beyond just inking a good 4th line center.

Edited by LakeLivin