The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
AWACSooner

Official Trade Deadline, Re-signing, Trade Talk "Maybe it's really a fire sale" thread

I'm curious as to exactly what you are implying here?

I'm not seeing anything but positive comments on the resigning.

Probabably should have left that out. There is a point there, but I sense that the appetite on the board right now is for positivity. I see the UFA situation as a necessary evil. Every team has to deal with it, but it is a place where the team gets weaker in general, unless they sign their guys back, or score a coup on return and then find a way to replace the player. In fairness that still could happen, which would brighten my view on it.

I get that the board seems to be really craving positivity and I'm offering some negativity mixed in with my positivity. I'm feeling the feedback. I get it. Time to move on from the UFA issue after this (and Dwyer).

I also get that there is a strong contingent that feels that restocking the system is key and I am right there with you. I guess we just have a diffrent level of excitement about late round picks. Maybe we'll become better at finding guys in later rounds, some teams are better than others there. Usually it involves a big scouting staff, but we'll see. Until then though, to me, if we are to restock our NHL team we need 1st and 2nd round picks mainly. That's where I'm at, but you know all know that. (side note: I know we need to restock Charlotte, but we do still have our own late round picks for that).

There are two sides to every move. If, for the moment, I focus entirely on the positive side of the UFA deals I would say this:

Sekera: RF has a plan to replace him soon. Until then, Sekera wanted to test UFA so staying was simply not an option. Given that, RF got a nice return. I had hoped for the exact deal he got but not "lottery protected", but clearly he's been shopping Sekera a while and this was the best deal out there, and frankly at least with LA, the chance of them missing playoffs seems pretty low. While we will miss Sekera, even a mid-late round first rounder in this draft should be a very good prospect, and the more I read about our prospect, Roland McKeown, the more I think that kid has serious upside in a position we will need help with. The Kings are excellent late round drafters and traded up to grab him in the second round. He was a potential first rounder.

Tlusty: Well we didn't really sell high, but again, the time was now due to UFA. A third rounder and a fifth rounder? Depth and a couple of shots at the finding guys in later rounds thing. Also, maybe they can be packaged to move up.

If RF can package our low round picks into some deal that gets us a second round or even a first rounder, that would make us all happy.

Gleason: he was not in the plans and anything is better than nothing.

McClement: a key player kept on board. This is the best move of all.

There! Good stuff.

Edited by remkin

I think one thing we maybe forgetting that with these draft picks this year and next, we are rebuilding an organization and not just the Hurricanes. If this is going to be what Peters and Francis envisions for this organization, it has to start with the Checkers. Their focus looks to be to draft well, let them grow and develop in Charlotte so that when they are NHL ready, they can move in seamlessly.

As for me, I'm just happy to see moves that are pointing this team in a direction other than WLOG.  The improved play after being reduced to playing for pride has happened it seems like every year since forever.  In the past, it was enough to make management want to see what this same "core" group can do next year.  RF is at least trying another strategy.  Getting picks and prospects is always a crap shoot, but if you get enough of them, you at least can hope for blind squirell luck and hit on something.

Yes, it can get rather annoying when people feel the need to point out that draft picks are a roll of the dice, like anyone who follows hockey doesn't realize that.  Sometimes you can keep guys, and sometimes you can't.  When you can't, then hopefully get the best return possible and move on.  Thus far, RF seems to be his own GM, and is not taking the JR approach.

Arguing on return is legit though.

Building picks and prospects shouldn't come as any surprise, as that's exactly what Francis said he was going to do.

I'm anxious to see what he does with them, as we now own as many picks as anyone in the draft.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I also get that there is a strong contingent that feels that restocking the system is key and I am right there with you. I guess we just have a diffrent level of excitement about late round picks. Maybe we'll become better at finding guys in later rounds, some teams are better than others there. Usually it involves a big scouting staff, but we'll see. Until then though, to me, if we are to restock our NHL team we need 1st and 2nd round picks mainly. That's where I'm at, but you know all know that. (side note: I know we need to restock Charlotte, but we do still have our own late round picks for that).

Yes, but more than that, I'm excited that RF got something instead of nothing.

A few years back, I was like "so what" when JR let players walk with nothing in return.  I was this way because I didn't care about low draft round picks.

My thinking has changed.  I'm not excited about these picks, I'm relieved.

And Remkin: you are sin -1 us.   :)  (When we're up, you're down.  When you're up, we're down.)

Edited by wxray1

Please somebody help me understand how Chris Terry is a UFA. I'm not disputing it as pointed out our team contract chart shows him as a UFA.

I see his age listed as turning 26 in April.

I thought you had to be 27 years old or have 7 years playing in the NHL to obtain UFA status.

Is he eligible because he will turn 27 during the 2015/16 season? What am I missing.  I really don't know and I'm trying to understand.

In 2012 we signed him on July 16th, did we not qualify him that year or something?

http://www.canescountry.com/2012/7/16/3161517/news-recap-hurricanes-sign-chris-terry-checkers-award-select-a-seat-CBA

Then in 2014 this article in the first line said he had the option to become a UFA and decided not to.

http://gocheckers.com/articles/742-hurricanes-re-sign-chris-terry

Edit: What Whaler says makes more sense....

Edited by legend-1

Well the most egregious example of JR getting nothing was Whitney. But Whitney had a NTC, and it is not clear what options JR really had.

Xray, you have somewhat of a point. Sometimes I'm contrarian. I think Francis has a plan, and I'm still very on board with seeing it play out. But this part of it, I'm just not as excited as some, maybe all of you. I want to see what he does with the big boys. The ones that chronically underperform their paygrade and the ones that might return more picks in the sweet spot.

But to me the best critique on JR and UFA's was more the ones he re signed than the ones he let get away. Those who point out that Gleason and Ruutu (and I'll raise you a Semin) did not come close to being worth re-signing at their paygrade have the best critique of JR and UFA's in my opinion. Maybe that is coloring some people's take of parts of this, maybe not.

Anyway, the points have been made. I guess I'm hearing a slightly different drummer. Still, like everyone else, I just want us to put together a conistantly winning, fun to watch team for the long term but as soon as possible.

Edited by remkin

Just to clarify, me asking about thoughts on Terry were for next season. I would be shocked if someone traded for him.

As to my thoughts so far:

Gleason: I wanted him gone, and the fact that we got something/anything in return is great.

Sekera: tough loss, but I'm ok with the return. We don't know what went on behind the scenes but my gut says Sekera wanted to move on/have a chance at playing more meaningful games after being on consistently losing teams. I don't blame him one bit if that is the case.

Tlusty: again, we don't know what went on behind the scenes but the return was underwhelming. I'm not sure what we are really losing in Tlusty though, whenever he was taken off the top line he disappeared. My gut says he over-valued himself so we took the best offer. Nothing wrong with that. Of course I could be wrong...

McLement: great signing. Very pleased about this.

I also think that RF is doing well this week, with an eye towards the future and being sensible as to how to go about it. I would still like to see at least one big contract moved/addressed in the offseason, but we'll see. For now I'll just go with the feeling that we are starting the long process of righting the ship...for the long haul.

On McClement, seeing where he's named 1of 3 stars today. Also seeing that Keith Aulie was put on waivers by Oilers. He might be someone I'd like to take a flyer on, as big and young. Might be a good project to try out for remainder of year?

Edited by KJUNKANE

On a side note, the Kings better get their act together.  Losing late in the third to Winnipeg 4-1.  I think that would make 4 straight losses if the score holds.

Just three (so far) but yeah - talk about running hot and cold. I checked in on the Anaheim game the other night when they were up 2-0. Five minutes later it was tied and not much longer they were down 3-2. Sekera's first game with them. Ugh.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Just to clarify, me asking about thoughts on Terry were for next season. I would be shocked if someone traded for him.

As to my thoughts so far:

Gleason: I wanted him gone, and the fact that we got something/anything in return is great.

Sekera: tough loss, but I'm ok with the return. We don't know what went on behind the scenes but my gut says Sekera wanted to move on/have a chance at playing more meaningful games after being on consistently losing teams. I don't blame him one bit if that is the case.

Tlusty: again, we don't know what went on behind the scenes but the return was underwhelming. I'm not sure what we are really losing in Tlusty though, whenever he was taken off the top line he disappeared. My gut says he over-valued himself so we took the best offer. Nothing wrong with that. Of course I could be wrong...

McLement: great signing. Very pleased about this.

I also think that RF is doing well this week, with an eye towards the future and being sensible as to how to go about it. I would still like to see at least one big contract moved/addressed in the offseason, but we'll see. For now I'll just go with the feeling that we are starting the long process of righting the ship...for the long haul.

At first I was pretty sure Tlusty wouldn't be back, and I'm still thinking that's true b/c Mo likes him so much. But...

IF we can unload or buy out Semin, Tlusty might be back next year. He's already logged serious time with J and E, and could step right into that role again, one less question mark for BP, and if Sasha's gone - and Mo will let Tlusty go - we'd have the room to pay him. I have a hard time imagining, no matter how much Mo likes him, that he sees Tlusty as his new Evander Kane. 

Edited by top-shelf-1

McClement gets $1.3 million first year, $1.1 million second. Just talked to Ron Francis. Said did not expect Canes to be "real busy" Monday.

Francis also said he did not expect to trade any players with terms left on their contracts after this season.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2015/03/01/4591764_canes-sign-mcclement-to-2-year.html?rh=1#storylink=cpy

Edited by coastal_caniac

Translation: Nobody else wants Semin, either.

Too bad there isn't a team in Saskatchewan.  They may want him.  :)

I still expect a player or two will be moved by 3PM. Yet I won't be that surprised if nothing happens. I will be surprised if a major deal is made by us but it's still possible.