The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
AWACSooner

Official Trade Deadline, Re-signing, Trade Talk "Maybe it's really a fire sale" thread

Rosters do expand and we have carried 7 D-men and yet  under 2 hours to deadline and we call up a D-man for the first time. I can't read the tea leaves but it is curious.

Just wondering who we are currently rolling out on defense we might be trading? Bellemore is a UFA, but really? Could be a package deal I guess..

Here is an interesting article about the price of Free Agents on Puck Daddy.

A couple of interesting bits on the Sekera and Gleason deals.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/what-we-learned--are-nhl-trade-prices-really--too-high--150755945.html

Edited by remkin

Just wondering who we are currently rolling out on defense we might be trading? Bellemore is a UFA, but really? Could be a package deal I guess..

There was a earlier rumor that the Rangers had interest in Bellemore and reports say Pens are still looking for another depth D-man. Yet Peters said same lineup as last game for tonight.  That would mean Dwyer wouldn't be penciled in to Blackhawks game.

Will know soon enough I guess

At least 13 trades thus far today..more now I think. Olli Jokinen didn't spend much time in Toronto. He is off to St. Louis.

TRADE TRACKER

MAR 2 MIN.png

Jordan Leopold (D)

2014TradeTracker_Icon.png

Justin Falk (D)
2015 5th Round Pick

CBJ.png Blue and black? Justin Falk or Faulk? Who can keep up.

Saw this out of the corner of my eye.  Talk about a head turner until I looked at it more closely, lol!

Edited by LakeLivin

Well when you walk into Toronto and say the locker room situation is rough whether true or not is enough to get sent packing I guess.

At least 13 trades thus far today..more now I think. Olli Jokinen didn't spend much time in Toronto. He is off to St. Louis.

Well when you walk into Toronto and say the locker room situation is rough whether true or not is enough to get sent packing I guess.

B) very true. From the beginning the rumor was he was traded to be traded so I guess he just wanted to make sure he was.

Today was a little anticlimactic for the Canes.

Good for Ollie for getting out of that hot mess.

I'm interested in hearing RF's comments on Dwyer and Bellemore.

I don't see anybody in the system anywhere close to being ready to take Dwyer's spot.  Fancy stats say Bellemore is our only pure shut down D-man, starting mostly in the D-zone, and plays against higher quality players compared to his teammates.  I guess I just wasn't seeing that with Bellemore. 

Anyway, anybody surprised neither was moved?

Edited by coastal_caniac

I don't see anybody in the system anywhere close to being ready to take Dwyer's spot. Fancy stats say Bellemore is our only pure shut down D-man, starting mostly in the D-zone, and plays against higher quality players compared to his teammates. I guess I just wasn't seeing that with Bellemore.

Not surprised at all. Neither one is a difference maker in any area of the game. Every team needs a couple of players like them, but most teams have several of each in the NHL/AHL. The fact that the Canes don't have a Dwyer replacement is a testimony to the crappitude of the prospects. Edited by super_dave_1

I don't see anybody in the system anywhere close to being ready to take Dwyer's spot.  Fancy stats say Bellemore is our only pure shut down D-man, starting mostly in the D-zone, and plays against higher quality players compared to his teammates.  I guess I just wasn't seeing that with Bellemore. 

I'm a little surprised about Bellemore since depth in case of injury is a risk between now and Playoffs at the D spot.  Even if as a security blanket against that.  Various other ordinary guys in that spot were moved today.

Not surprised about Dwyer (or Terry).

No risk whether all 3 stay or go.  We'll see what RF offers them come July, or sooner.

I have to think the offers, if any, on Bellemore and Dywer were not worth doing, which must have been pretty low considering.

I would think we will try to sign one or maybe both along the way, and if not, move on. I like what both guys bring if the price is right.

Francis may of opted to take a pass on offers for Bellemore and Dwyer unless it was an offer that knocked his socks off.

With Murphy hurt and the Chex now down to 5 healthy D-men the front office may have decided his value here for the remainder of the season was greater than a later round draft choice. Francis also said the defense would be addressed over the summer.

Dwyer is part of the one line that is working for us on a night in and night out basis. He is also part of our top end PK unit. While he might lack the wow factor he is steady, hard working, fast and although not a game changer he can make a difference in a game. I'm going to guess RF will try to sign him. I can't imagine there weren't inquires for Dwyer.

I'm a little surprised that both survived draft day but not shocked.

Francis better address the D in the offseason. Then again he better address more than that.

As to the D, w/ Faulk one year from his big salary bump and Liles dropping to 2.75, we have got to have one of the cheapest defenses in the league next year, (one reason I was thinking front loaded deal for Sekera, but anyhooo), so there should be some cash if Francis can convince a UFA or make a deal to bring in a higher paid defenseman.

Just what he wanted, I'm sure. I wouldn't want to be in that org, either.

Not me. I honestly think BP has done such a good job of getting roster guys to compete for ice time that he/RF are confident that either (1) they'll re-sign at a reasonable price, or (2) their skates can be filled by others. 

I disagree about Dwyer. I think Nestrasil is probably your other fourth-line winger (and spotted on special teams) if Dwyer leaves. BP clearly wanted him (and Malone, and McClement, all of whom we signed after he became coach), and my guess is he likes Nesty's nasty a little better for the fourth, despite his positive statements about Pat.

Bellemore? Good question... 

Edited by top-shelf-1

And on the D side, Rasmus Rissanen gets his first callup after 3 AHL seasons.  Jordan's development path was similar.

This is the way to develop players, particularly D, but across the board. With a couple years in CLT Skinner might have avoided a bell-ringing or two in the NHL. Murph, too, might have been battle-toughened. Letting guys jump straight from Juniors to the The Show is crazy (thanks yet again, JR), I don't care who they are - and that includes McDavid. 

I'm really glad we've not only taken the time we need to with Rissanen but are helping ensure his NHL debut is a good one for his confidence (BP expects him to suit up against EDM instead of the red-hot Wild). Also that we're not rushing McGinn, DiGuiseppe, Woods, Shugg, etc. Hopefully one day the NHL wakes up and puts player safety first by requiring at least a year in the AHL before anybody makes an NHL roster, with the *possible* exception of guys who have four full years in top-division college hockey - but I doubt even they are prepared for the speed at the NHL level.

Edited by top-shelf-1