The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
AWACSooner

Official Trade Deadline, Re-signing, Trade Talk "Maybe it's really a fire sale" thread

The upcoming NTC on Skinner is an interesting point. Hmmmm. I wonder what the offers are on Skinner? Love watching him and it would be ironic for a team that can't score (until recently) to trade it's pure scorer, but too many on this team have NTC's at at time when the smart teams are handing out less of them (LA has almost none, including it's stars).

I am truly guessing, but I think Francis would like to trade E. Break up the unholy "Two Kings" thing that JR annointed the Brother's Staal with, make a big symbolic move to the fans that have seen a lot of losing on E's face, and pick up a bit of bounty: first round pick and more. But it appears that JR gave E more power than the GM (remind me again how NTC's don't matter).

IF the E we are seing now, returns, who knows? Maybe it can still work, but I've been singing that tune for a while now and it has not panned out, to say the least.

I just have to shake my head if this team once more starts to get healthy and find it's game, just in time begin a phenominally tired and consistant tendancy to move down the draft board for meaningless wins.

If I'm vindicated on one thing it should be this: There is a difference between a "culture of winning" and getting that winning feeling late in a meaningless year. They are NOT the same thing. And this organization has years and years of getting on a winning run at the ends of years and the evidence is clear, it has NO benefit to next year's team outside of Jack and Squat.

Even if we end up having little choice but to "like our group". We MUST find a way to do SRM and get in on the big pick. We're right at the door.

How?

Have to trade Ward. The quickest way to start losing games while trying to win? Bad goaltending. Get one of our AHL guys up here and let him play. Get a first rounder for Ward.

Trade Skinner. What? Need to get back to can't score. Get a first rounder and a solid, solid player maybe on D.

At some point let Semin heal, or have more surgery, or whatever he needs. OR if he starts putting up points....maybe a deadline deal.

Get McEichel plus two more first round picks.

Ideally keep Sekera.

So we have to keep the Staals, but we'd have McEichel, a very nice Dman (if we kept Sekera, in a couple of years w/ Fleury coming on, we'd have: Sekera, Faulk, Guy from Skinner trade, Fluery as the top 4, McEichel, and our other first round forward picks coming on to go with the Staals and Linholm. Plus I think Rask might really develope, and don't count out McGinn in a couple of years).

I call this: How to Rebuild around Unmovable NTC's. by Remkin.

With the Canes holding management meetings this week I would expect we will get some idea soon if we will be in a full on rebuild mode or ride with the "we like our group" mode for another season.

As pointed out previously there are so many variables here with NTC, FA negotiations and unmovable contracts. Francis, if my interpretation is correct, seems to be  looking for an honest, emotion free evaluation of players and how they fit or don't in our plans.

Looking at the team I think the most important factor may be the re-signing of Sekera. He won't be easy to replace if we are still eating big contracts next season. If he doesn't or won't re-sign it could force some other roster moves to enable us to seek a top D-man. Of course those moves could come after the season but Sekera's status can't. If he doesn't re-sign he has to be moved this season.

In a perfect world, RF works out a handshake deal with Sekera to sign a deal in the summer, after he is rented out on a trade deadline deal.  If a deal isn't done or agreed upon by the deadline, I expect him to go.

Agree about Sekera. The only way I don't sign him is if he doesn't want to be here. Or if he is just flat out planning on a heist asking for a ridiculous contract. That means he's worth overpaying some. You have to compare his play and "value" to what we would have to pay for a top UFA defenseman on the open market to get him to come to Raleigh over 29 other teams. And if we let Sekera walk and manage to even sign an UFA for the money we are limiting to, would that player be as good as Sekera? And every year people say to stay out of the bidding wars of UFA. And even if we go in loaded for bear UFA, we could easily come out empty.

Right now the names of temas that seem to really want Sekera? Well NYR have been open about it, and other names I've heard thusfar are solid high tier playoff teams. Thus if the return was a first rounder, it would be bottom half, probably bottom quarter of the draft. Not that we couldn't get a nice player there, but one better than Sekera? Crap shoot, and at least 4 years of development.

But if Sekera wants out or is sold on testing the UFA market, find the best deal and move on. I do like getting picks in this year's draft.

Edited by remkin

According to new reports, The Coyotes have thrown in the towel.

So the two teams under us, and the team directly above us are in full rebuild mode. I hope we can take a hint. I don't want this franchise to get behind any further than it already is.

well, given they're tied to Mike Smith after they gave him a ridiculous contract extension, and he's put up really craptastic numbers this season...trading Dubnyk to the Wild was about all they could do.

well, given they're tied to Mike Smith after they gave him a ridiculous contract extension, and he's put up really craptastic numbers this season...trading Dubnyk to the Wild was about all they could do.

Very similar situation to Cam as far as mike smith goes.

I'm very interested to see how Arizona handles their roster. They're just like us, a small market, borderline playoff team when healthy. They got a lot of guys in similar situation like us in yandle, vermette, and erat who are on the trade block. They're in a good position to draft high if they play their cards right.

And yet they've made the playoffs more than we have recently...

They'll build their D around E-L and ONLY ship out Yandle if they can get a decent return.  Doan has a spot there as long as he wants it...and at least he's putting up decent numbers.  Mikkel Boedker and Antoine Vermette are two more names that could fetch some decent returns at the deadline.

Well, I've never hidden the fact that I'm a big Skinner fan, or my feelings that moving him, the yute with the most NHL experience and the most chemistry with our other yutes, is wrongheaded. Say what you will about his pending NTC, but the big difference between Skinner and the Big Three who already have NTCs is that he has done what we signed him to do more consistently, even with his injuries, than any of them over the same period of time.

But - and since I've posted it on another thread but not this one - I think it's possible, with Nasty now back, that we're looking at Sekera and a chip (Gerbs?) for a Dman, possibly Marc Staal. The numbers and the Rangers' much-reported interest in Sekera is why. The total salaries of BOTH Sekera and Gerbs is $625K BELOW what Staal now makes in NYC, and he is a UFA seeking 500K more than the team is offering (so far) to re-sign. He wants 6 million for six years. I'd think the Rags could have Sekera for about 5, and with Marty also a UFA, the Rags need another winger, or at least an option to hold over Marty - and Gerbs, while no Marty (yet) is not only way cheaper for a team with cap issues, but also 13 years younger. 

For that deal to happen, one or a combination of three things would also have to happen: Skinner or at least Tlusty would have to go in order to open the (self-imposed) cap space needed; E would have to give back some salary; or PK would have to increase that self-imposed cap. The latter is improbable, yes - but not impossible given that the league cap is expected to increase markedly next year. We could also have a new (majority) owner group ready to cut loose with more money. And I don't think it is unreasonable to ask E to give something back in return for bringing his fourth brother here.

As much as I want us off the Staal train (I really do, if for no other reason than that it will signal we've abandoned JR's wet dream of having them all here), I have to admit that both Marc's and Jordan's toughness and in-game work ethics are about 10x that of their big brother's. And a lineup that includes Marc on the back end with Jordan and Eric on the same line AND the Skinner-led yutes on the other three is pretty intriguing.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Trading for MStaal?  Put me down for no.

He is a UFA after this year, and if he comes, it should be as a straight out signing.  There was no need to trade for JStaal when he was a pending UFA after the lockout year (and management had to know the strategy was going to be to kill half a season).  JR gave up Sutter, Doumolin, and an 11 pick for half a season of JStaal. 

I want to get away from the family thing.  What happens when you get all 3 and then tick one off?  MStaal would get a NTC just like the others and then they would run the franchise by default.

based on our lack of move able pieces I look at Tlusty,Dwyer,Gerbs and Khudobin as pieces that could bring return. I don't think RF/BP are ready to move Ward at this point, too risky with a lack of quality UFA goalies available.

I absolutely think Francis is really bummed that our current Staals plus NTC has him hamstrung. It is also hard to exactly know the effect on the larger team, just having two untouchable guys who are oh brothers, not to mention three. Also Marc has mentioned that he's not particularly interested in joining his brothers, and has a pretty good gig on a premeir team.

Since I really doubt Francis has any interest in 3 Staals, and Marc didn't seem that interested either, it's hard to see. Article didn't mention if Marc got a NTC at 28, but would be interesting to know.

Top, gotta hand it to you though. Good thought linking the Rangers lust of Sekera to a possible deal involving Marc.

Now it would be a sign and trade, and I guess it still could be, but seems less likely. As you mentioned, we'd have to send way more now than Sekera (unless we sign Sekera and THEN do the deal...hmmmmm). Problem there is that the Rangers clearly want Sekera AND Marc for their playoff run, so a double sign, then trade doesn't really make sense either.

Edited by remkin

Wow...that much for arguably the worst producing of the three brothers in the NHL?  Are we sure JR isn't really the GM of the Rangers?

Edited by AWACSooner

Thanks dog butler. If we did trade for the now signed Marc, we'd have three Staals with 3 NTC's. 

Banish the thought. 

Zero prob.

Trading for Marc Staal when he's a UFA after the season.  Really? 

Besides:

http://nypost.com/2015/01/16/rangers-marc-staal-closing-in-on-six-year-deal/

whew. Good news. When I first posted this the last available report was that they had stopped talking, altho Staal was still confident they'd get it done. I also said the Canes would lose me as a fan if Marc showed up here. :) 

whew. Good news. When I first posted this the last available report was that they had stopped talking, altho Staal was still confident they'd get it done. I also said the Canes would lose me as a fan if Marc showed up here. :)

Whew is right.

Francis on trades

Chip Alexander @ice_chip  ·  2h 2 hours ago

Looking to what may or may not happen before trade deadline, Francis said only, "We'll continue to analyze everything and make decisions."

In other words, Francis is not tipping his hand. He does like the way team is playing with a full, healthy group. So does Peters.

David Pagnotta: The Hurricanes, Senators and Coyotes are all fairly active on the trade front.

That was yesterday. Today there is buzz around us, but the actual things mentioned are pretty much what have mentioned, but very little concrete, though McClement's name came up.

My thing is this. We are pretty much not going to finish at #30. OK, but then lets see if we can pick up some draft picks. But sign Sekera.

But no one is really thinking a Staal is going anywhere.

So, no Staal, no Semin (not tradeable), No Sekera (might end up having to, but it would be one step up, two steps back). No top pick for Tlusty or McClement or Gleason....

That leaves Ward or Skinner. 

The Oilers keep floating basically every forward on the team....Skinner plus for one of them? Just killing time really....Skinner plus Ward for Hall? Is that too much?

But we can't keep winning, so maybe make a move sooner than later?

Edited by remkin

David Pagnotta: The Hurricanes, Senators and Coyotes are all fairly active on the trade front.

That was yesterday. Today there is buzz around us, but the actual things mentioned are pretty much what have mentioned, but very little concrete, though McClement's name came up.

My thing is this. We are pretty much not going to finish at #30. OK, but then lets see if we can pick up some draft picks. But sign Sekera.

But no one is really thinking a Staal is going anywhere.

So, no Staal, no Semin (not tradeable), No Sekera (might end up having to, but it would be one step up, two steps back). No top pick for Tlusty or McClement or Gleason....

That leaves Ward or Skinner. 

The Oilers keep floating basically every forward on the team....Skinner plus for one of them? Just killing time really....Skinner plus Ward for Hall? Is that too much?

But we can't keep winning, so maybe make a move sooner than later?

Any deal we make for Skinner should involve a Dman coming back.  In Edmonton's case, I'd request Darnell Nurse.

Maybe something along the lines of Skinner/Murphy to Edmonton for Yakupov/Nurse.  I think Nurse/Fleury could be a dynamic pairing in this league one day.  It could also give Carolina room in the draft to focus on offense.

Edited by PenaltyKiller17

Any deal we make for Skinner should involve a Dman coming back.  In Edmonton's case, I'd request Darnell Nurse.

Maybe something along the lines of Skinner/Murphy to Edmonton for Yakupov/Nurse.  I think Nurse/Fleury could be a dynamic pairing in this league one day.  It could also give Carolina room in the draft to focus on offense.

I would love that deal for the Canes, but I think Edmonton is looking to add defenseman as well. 

I would love that deal for the Canes, but I think Edmonton is looking to add defenseman as well.

Well, as we all know Edmonton isn't the most organized team. And I've seen his name mentioned in rumors for forwards. And they'll be getting back Murphy.