The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
colliefan

Kiitty-kats the surprise team of the NHL this year?

They sit a point out of a playoff spot in the Atlantic.  Their new owner who is a West Point grad seems intent of turning the culture of losing.  It seems as if he has brought in a quality free agents? What say you? 

They sit a point out of a playoff spot in the Atlantic.  Their new owner who is a West Point grad seems intent of turning the culture of losing.  It seems as if he has brought in a quality free agents? What say you? 

I think they made a mistake by bringing in free agents last offseason because then how could they fully "evaluate" what they had in their minor league system?  Oh, wait . . .   :P

Edited by LakeLivin

Yes, and add to Ekblad two more home grown defenseman in Gudbransen and Kulikov, and then they acquired Olsen in the Versteeg deal.  Throw in two vets in Campbell and Mitchell and now you have a blueline.

I liked the Panthers chances to make the playoffs when the season started. 

Don't know about the surprise team in the entire league though, as you would have to include under performing teams as well.

I don't have any better teams to throw in the ring but seems like the Panthers would need to make a small splash in the playoffs to be labeled a surprise and not be a fringe team.

For me, I think the surprise team is the Calgary Flames.

They weren't suppose to be this good yet.

Agree. Everybody thought they'd go away by Christmas. They are showing great resilience and determination.

I expected Florida to be competitive, so my surprise team in the East this year is the Leafs, and not for positive reasons. I never thought they were a playoff shoo-in, but I sure thought they'd be a heckuva lot better than this.

I've got to throw the Islanders hat into the ring. They were only 2 points better than Calgary last year but this year they're currently in the top 5 in the league.  And based on our last game with them, they pass the eye test (at least to my eye) . . .

Edited by LakeLivin