http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2015/

BOB McKENZIE'S RANKINGS

Preliminary - http://www.tsn.ca/teen-titans-mcdavi...anking-1.83478

CRAIG BUTTON'S RANKINGS

September - http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=124661
October - http://www.tsn.ca/craig-s-list-octob...-pack-1.100255
November - http://www.tsn.ca/craig-s-list-novem...ichel-1.132206
December - http://www.tsn.ca/craig-s-list-decem...terms-1.154887

With the World Junior Championship over, ISS Hockey didn't waste any time to release its new draft rankings.

There is no change on top. McDavid and Eichel remaining #1 and #2 respectively. After them, the ISS has made some significant changes based on how players performed at the WJC.

Hockeysfuture explains the changes which start with Hanifin, who dropped one spot to #4.

Taking Hanifin’s place in the third slot is Kingston Frontenacs forward, Lawson Crouse. Crouse was a somewhat surprising choice to play for Canada at this WJC, but he earned full marks for his dogged play for the gold medal winners.

“Crouse is a determined player that does not give up on any loose pucks or puck battles”, says ISS Hockey Director of Scouting Dennis MacInnis. “He has a lean body on a large frame and, once he fills out, he has the potential to be a top six NHL power forward.”

Another strong WJC performer climbing the ranks is Finnish forward Mikko Rantanen, who moved from #13 to the fifth slot in this month’s ranking. Rantanen was viewed by many as being the top player for Finland at this year’s tournament, and he has been rewarded by ISS with a significant move up the ranks.

As a result of Rantanen’s upward mobility, the fifth-ranked prospect from December, University of Michigan defenseman Zach Werenski, slipped one spot to #6. Werenski played for Team USA at this WJC and impressed at times, but his performance wasn’t impressive enough for him to hold onto a top-5 position.

Moving down three slots from last month’s rankings is Erie Otters forward Dylan Strome, who sits at #7. Strome has continued his strong play in McDavid’s absence, so his downward slide is mostly related to Stome not having the international stage to perform upon that some of the prospects ahead of him did.

Coming in at #8 this month is Mathew Barzal of the Seattle Thunderbirds. Barzal is still on the shelf due to an injury suffered in November, but he is close to returning to a Thunderbirds team that is making a push for the WHL playoffs.

Maybe the best indicator of the strength of this year’s top 10 is the presence of London Knights forward Mitchell Marner at #9 in this month’s rankings. Marner is the leading scorer in the OHL with 77 points (32G, 45A) in 38 games. Within the past week, Marner turned in a six-point effort in a Knights’ win. While he doesn’t have ideal size, there is little doubt that Marner has the talent to be a top offensive player in the pros down the road.

Sitting in the 10th position in this month’s rankings is Brandon Wheat Kings defenseman, Ivan Provorov. Provorov had a relatively quiet showing for Russia at the World Juniors, but he has shown enough over the past month to move up six places from last month’s rankings.

Two players slipping out of last month’s top 10 are ranked 11th and 12th in this month’s ISS rankings. Sarnia Sting forward Pavel Zacha drops three slots to #11, while Farjestad defenseman Oliver Kylington moved from #7 to #12. Zacha played for the Czech Republic at the WJC and, while he had his strong moments at that tournament, it remains to be seen how much offensive upside he has in his game. Kylington was supposed to compete for Sweden at the World Juniors but missed the tournament due to injury.

Yeah, this draft is can't miss at the top, but also considered very deep. Reminds me of one of my favorite Richard Pryor punch lines: "yeah and it's deep too". Can't retell the joke here though.

As deep as this year's draft is, I wish we had more than one first round pick.

Sabers have three first round picks and Tampa has two.

I see us probably finishing 3rd to last, possibly 4th. Depending on what we do as well as Arizona does at the deadline, they basically have our team except a better D.

And I'd be willing to bet if Eichel/McDavid had to choose between which bottom 5 team they would prefer to play for, It'd be us. It would be nice to have one of them and salvage something meaningful out of this season.

If we don't get either of them, you may as well welcome Noah Hanifin to carolina. Grant it, he didn't overly impress at the WJC. But if he turns out to be as good as projected, we'd have a good young blueline in the next few years.

As deep as this year's draft is, I wish we had more than one first round pick.

Sabers have three first round picks and Tampa has two.

There's still time to get more! :dance:

Dadgum Buffalo has 3 picks? Didn't they have 3 last year?

I dont think so. They had two the year before. This year they have theirs, the Islanders (due to the Thomas Vanek trade) and the Blues (due to the Ryan Miller trade).

I think teams are hearing the buzz about how deep this draft is, so I doubt we're going to see many more 1st rounders traded. If I were a GM, I wouldn't trade a 1st for a rental player unless I thought they could be resigned.

I agree it's going to be especially hard to pry draft picks from the lottery teams. After that though, even though it's a deep draft, they are still draft picks, and if a team thinks it will make the playoffs now with player X (cough Cam or Eric cough), they'll still do it.

I dont think so. They had two the year before. This year they have theirs, the Islanders (due to the Thomas Vanek trade) and the Blues (due to the Ryan Miller trade).

I think teams are hearing the buzz about how deep this draft is, so I doubt we're going to see many more 1st rounders traded. If I were a GM, I wouldn't trade a 1st for a rental player unless I thought they could be resigned.

Yes, I checked, your right.

And yes, first rounders are going to be hard to come by unless we trade away guys like E. Staal that we can't replace.

There's still time to get more! :dance:

Yea, lots of time left but also a lot of games left to leave the basement.

Imho, with everyone getting healthy I don't see the Canes finishing as bad as our current 29th place suggests. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see us drafting McDavid or Eichel but unless the Oilers or Sabres get on some serious winning streak or the Lottery Gods have some twisted sense of humor, I don't see us getting a shot at #1 or #2.

If I am right, that kind of begs the question how RF will prioritize our #1 pick. Will he go after the next "best" prospect available whether we need him or not or pick a player who compliments our projected future needs? What are our future needs?    

Imho, with everyone getting healthy I don't see the Canes finishing as bad as our current 29th place suggests. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see us drafting McDavid or Eichel but unless the Oilers or Sabres get on some serious winning streak or the Lottery Gods have some twisted sense of humor, I don't see us getting a shot at #1 or #2.

If I am right, that kind of begs the question how RF will prioritize our #1 pick. Will he go after the next "best" prospect available whether we need him or not or pick a player who compliments our projected future needs? What are our future needs?    

BUT if we trade say Ward and E. for picks and players...not only would we get that, but we'd have a shot at enough SRM to play to win, but just not be good enough, and maybe....

But again, it has to be all or none. Dead last gets it done.

BUT if we trade say Ward and E. for picks and players...not only would we get that, but we'd have a shot at enough SRM to play to win, but just not be good enough, and maybe....

But again, it has to be all or none. Dead last gets it done.

I just don't see that "working" unless at the same time there' s a coupe more major injuries (say J again and maybe Dobby).  The Oil and Slugs are just too far "ahead of us" (non skill wise) and they're not going to be standing still.  I think our only real hope is hitting that 5-10% lottery chance that we're going to end up with. 

Edited by LakeLivin

We need 6'4" scoring wingers.

We need 6'4" scoring wingers.

So does everybody else...

As far as where we will probably finish/draft, the player I have my heart set on is Dylan Strome.  He's not a 6'4" winger, but he is a 6'2" center with 76 points in 41 games.  He would be a possibility at #1 overall in any other year.

So does everybody else...

As far as where we will probably finish/draft, the player I have my heart set on is Dylan Strome.  He's not a 6'4" winger, but he is a 6'2" center with 76 points in 41 games.  He would be a possibility at #1 overall in any other year.

A good call. Craig Button has him ranked #4 in his most recent ranking (just a few days ago).

http://www.tsn.ca/cr...d-neck-1.177115

The more I read about this draft the more special it seems. There are 4 "elite" potential Dmen, and Strome and Mitchell Marner are both high scoring forwards and apparently guys that might have been #1's in a different year.

And to dogbutler's request, outside of Strome, Mikko Ritanen and Lawson Crouse got rave reviews for their play at World Juniors and are both 6'4" wingers, ironically.

This why it would be so amazing to pick up a first rounder from a team w/ playoff designs, that then falls back. And then to not finish too high ourselves. Those guys described above take us down to #12. So, if we picked say second, and then had someone elses #12 pick. We could have Jack Eichel and Lawson Crouse. Then there's a serious log jam of really nice defensemen there early second round.

I am steadfast in believing that we'll pick in the 4th or 5th slot, and would be overjoyed if we could pick up either Crouse or Strome.. Now as far as our trade to LA yielding something in this year's draft, I'm not holding my breath, as I think that team is fading!! Just my $0.02!!

Edited by KJUNKANE

I am steadfast in believing that we'll pick in the 4th or 5th slot, and would be overjoyed if we could pick up either Crouse or Strome.. Now as far as our trade to LA yielding something in this year's draft, I'm not holding my breath, as I think that team is fading!! Just my $0.02!!

The difference between Strome and Crouse:

Strome:

6'2" 180lbs;  60gp, 37g, 75a, 112tp

Crouse:

6'3", 200lbs; 48gp, 25g, 14a, 39tp

We NEED to hold the 4th spot so we are guaranteed either Hanifin or Strome.  There are many talented prospects in this draft, but the top 2 are potential generational talents and the next two are potential superstars!  There is a significant drop after that.

I dont' know the exact stats, but it really does look like there is a very high likilhood that we pick 4, 5 or 6. There seems to be a cluster there with Toronto, Columbus and us. One would think with how we've been playing that # 6 is a good bet, but we are playing a fairly untested defense with a lot of guys overslotted so who knows, we might drop some. But it won't be past 4.

This draft is way deep, but clearly we want to pick as high as we can.

So, got to trying to figure out where we might pick for both of our picks (assuming we get 2).

First, LA, of course, has to make the playoffs. Yes, if they don't we might get an even higher pick next year, but next year's draft may not be as deep (this is supposed to be one of the deepest) and there is just as good of a chance that next year's pick could actually be lower.

So we definitely want LA to slip in then slip up. So...

The picking order for playoff teams is fluid, but really can be simplified since LA will not be a division winner. Anyway, the Cup finalists pick last, the ECF and WCF losers pick next, then the division winners, then the rest go by regular season record.

At the moment, if LA got the last Western Conference Wild Card slot they would be the last team in the playoffs based on record and slated to pick #15 provided they do not make it to the WCF. While there is some wiggle room, realstically there are only 4 and maybe 5 teams they could pass in these last 16 games. In all likelihood they would be slated to pick #15-18.

Yes, the Kings are built for the playoffs. Also, if they do slide into the last Pacific division slot, they will get a more favorable early match up, but last year most of the their series went 7 games, and it is hard to repeat, and they will be the road team most likely.

So, if we give a 50% chance of them winning each series, then this is true:

If the Kings make the playoffs, we have a 75% chance of picking 15-18 with their pick. Now this assumes that they make the playoffs, which SportsClub has at 67%.

Taken together for our LA pick, there is a 50% chance of us picking 15-18, 17% chance of picking 27-30  and a 33% chance of picking next year.

Ironically there is almost no chance of picking 19-26 this year.

On our regular pick, I went with #6 way back and that does seem to be the best bet now. Baring a major shake up, it will be us, Toronto and Columbus in a three way race for picks 4, 5, 6. When factoring in games played it's pretty close to a dead heat with us 3. Toronto has the easiest schedule then Columbus and ours pretty close. But Toronto is in disaray. They just scratched Kadri. Columbus injury devestated.

So, assuming that the Kings make the playoffs (67% chance), the most likely scenario would be us picking 4-6 then again, 15-18. This is the most likely scenario, barely: 50.5% vs 49.5%.

If it does work out that way, that would be still pretty darned good given the expectaions for this draft. (We will also have a pretty high second round pick, which is still supposedly strong with good players that deep).

Edited by remkin

With regard to the Kings pick, Calgary, who picked 1 spot behind us in the draft 2 years ago, is doing us no favors. They were trailing Anaheim 2-0 when I went to bed last night, and came back and won 6-3. LA has a game in hand on Calgary, and is 2 points behind them for the last spot in their division. LA is 3 points behind Winnipeg for the final wild card.

On the subject of Calgary, I am still scratching my head over JR's decision to take Lindholm over Monahan in that draft. The stats for this year: Monahan - 25 goals, 23 assists , +1; Lindholm - 14 goals, 19 assists,  -16. And I'm pretty sure Monahan is centering Calgary's second line.

On the subject of Calgary, I am still scratching my head over JR's decision to take Lindholm over Monahan in that draft. The stats for this year: Monahan - 25 goals, 23 assists , +1; Lindholm - 14 goals, 19 assists,  -16. And I'm pretty sure Monahan is centering Calgary's second line.

It will be interesting to follow the progression of those two.They were ranked about dead even by the prognosticators at the draft. Yet as a bigger guy and a Canadian, Monahan seemed like the more likely pick for JR. Could be having the Staals down the middle factored in, but JR claims they had Lindholm well ahead of Monahan.

My personal opinion is that it is too early to tell. Lindholm's game on the bigger Swedish ice, might take a bit longer to click fully.

A lot of guys who make the NHL at 18 really start to show their stuff in year three. Lindholm has been coming on a bit lately too. Monahan has the lead years 1 and 2, but I still would not be surprised if Lindholm ends up being the more prolific player. Final jury still out.

With regard to the Kings pick, Calgary, who picked 1 spot behind us in the draft 2 years ago, is doing us no favors. They were trailing Anaheim 2-0 when I went to bed last night, and came back and won 6-3. LA has a game in hand on Calgary, and is 2 points behind them for the last spot in their division. LA is 3 points behind Winnipeg for the final wild card.

I was keeping up with that Anaheim/Calgary game as well that night.  I wondered to myself if Anaheim tanked that game.  I know they'd rather face Calgary in the first round over LA based off of last year.  I have no doubt that the Kings will make the playoffs, and I gotta believe somehow the Sharks will slither their way in.

And I was sure we were going to draft Monahan as well.  They'll both be good, which will make it a moot debate.