The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Whaler1

2015 NHL Entry Draft

Frankly there's no telling if Monahan would have that many points with us and what's gone on this year.

I was going to make the same point. Calgary was one of the hardest working teams last year and they carried it over into this year. They have been rolling this year while we continue to roll around in...well, you can figure it out. If we were a playoff team and Calgary was one of the worst teams in the league, I'm sure the numbers would be different.

Barkov still hasn't taken off and McKinnon regressed this year. Drouin has a lot of assists but he plays on an elite team. Seth Jones is playing ok. He still has a ways to go to reach his potential and he also plays on an elite team.

All of those guys were taken before Lindholm and Monahan.

I said when he was drafted that Lindholm may take longer to develop because he is coming from overseas and the type of player he is.

I watch Lindholm every game and I see a lot of Monahan. Both can be good, but I still believe Lindholm can become a more complete/rare type of player (like a Zetterberg). Monahan is a scorer and will likely generate more statistically.

Lindholm has work to do in the offseason. He can really hit/be physical when he wants to, something I haven't seen from the players above. Still, he needs to do it more often. On the other hand he is 20 years old so expecting him to be a physical presence on a consistent basis while still learning probably isn't realistic.

I just want to see him be more assertive next year, offensively, defensively, and physically.

Like I said, he has some work to do but I still think with his vision and skill he can become a very high-end player, even though it may not be seen solely by statistics.

If he reaches his potential I think he will become the type of player we use in all situations and he will be a difference maker. I just think it's going to take time so I'm not worried, or really putting too much into comparisons right now (even though admittedly I do check in on the others I mentioned). I'm concentrating on how he is growing as a player. I like a lot of what I'm seeing but he needs to put his stamp on games and engage more often/with more authority.

I think it will come, but as to when it's hard to say when you're talking about a player who isn't even old enough to order a beer yet.

I don't see much of Monahan, so this isn't really a comparison, but what I see of Linholm is almost all good.

He plays both ends of the ice. He is physical beyond his years and size.

He has shown flashes of high end puck skills. He has shown an abilty to see the ice and make nice passes, and he has a deceptively good shot.

That's alot of good. What we have not seen is the consistent super elite playmaking of say a Backstrom, admittedly one of the best in the league, but stil.

I think we find out next year how close he can get to elite. He will not max out next year, but should put enought together to hit solid new levels. He has improved each year, and is still only 20. I think he could be one of those guys who puts up 25 goals and 45 assists consistently, but that will require a step up, but I think he can do it.

It would be interesting if Rask makes a big step up next year, if Lindholm-Rask- XXXXX could be a nice line.

Lindholm at 18-19 yo rookie year: .36 ppg

Lindholm at 19-20 yo sophomore: .51 ppg

As I've frequently quoted, year three is often the break out year, not the career year, but the one that shows what the guy can be. I think 50-60 points next year is the baseline. Would be higher if this was a better team. He can get points fastest if he really starts playmaking. He has it in him. Could push that up.

Edited by remkin

I agree that it is way too early to say that taking Lindholm instead of Monahan was a mistake. I guess at the time of that draft my recollection was that when we picked, Monahan had crazy scoring numbers in Canadian Juniors, at least well more than a point per game, while Lindholm, who had been "playing with men" in the Swedish League had stats about comparable to what he has put up for us (other than the plus/minus) this year. I do believe he is going to be a good player for us, and maybe a more complete player than just a goal scorer.

If the season ended today, the Kings would finish in the last playoff position and we would get their 15th overall selection.  That is the best case scenario for that pick!!

As far as who might be a good selection in that spot, Oliver Kylington might be a good candidate...

Just one look is all it should take to see that Oliver Kylington is poetry in motion – the ease and naturalness of his skating and passing are at the highest level. While his overall game, both offense and defense, has not yet reached the elite level that his physical tools would suggest, I am betting heavily that they will improve enough that Oliver Kylington will be drafted in the top ten and likely in the top five.
Profile from: Eldon MacDonald of The Hockey Writers - updated Oct. 19th

The smooth skating Kylington was a regular in the Swedish Hockey league as a 16 year old player. Skating ability is excellent with an ease that allows him to beat the fore-check, transition from defense to offense and to jump into the offensive forays. Very good passer and his vision and smarts makes him a multiple threat because he can beat you multiple ways. Reminds one of former NHLer & fellow Swede, Calle Johansson.

Analysis: Craig Button - TSNs Direct of Scouting - updated Sept. 25th

logo-profiler.jpg

Exceptionally poised, mature, two-way defenseman…handles the puck well and likes to join the rush…plays with impressive confidence and is absolutely fearless with the puck on his stick…doesn’t possess a bomb of a shot, but knows how to put the puck on target...quite impressive top speed and acceleration, especially in offensive situations…not overly big and has some defensive positioning issues to sort out…minute-munching ability as this kid just has ice water flowing through his veins. (August 2014)

Kylinglton would be a good choice if you still there.

The one technical thing I would point out is that we would get the number 15 pick only in the event that the Kings exited in one of the first two rounds.

Not sure how people feel about the draftees yet, but sure looks like the 3-6 guys are currently Noah Hanifin, Mitchel Marner,  Dylan Strome, and Lawson Crouse. (Will change by draft day).

Hanifin is an offensive D man. Yes, we could use that, but we just drafted a D man w a high pick and they take a while. Most have Hanifin going #3 which we will not be picking, but GMs do prefer forwards, so he could be there at 4 or 5. But is he the guy we want?

Mitchell Marner is an offnsive dynamo only 5'11' though. Still plays bigger. Frankly I'd be happy with him, he is currently the most consistently ranked next forward after McEichel, but if we want to get big...

Laswon Crouse is 6'4" and ranked very highly in current mock drafts and rankings. He has all the tools of a top power forward, but has not put up the head shaking junior numbers of a Marner or....

Dylan Strome. This guy. 6'3". Put up 112 points in 60 games. Plays with Wonderkid McDavid but put up numbers at around the same pace when McDavid was out. He is ranked 4-8 in various rankings, but a big multifaceted forward with elite skills? I bet he goes at the high end.

So for me, Dyan Strome has the package: big, gifted, and actually has put up the big numbers in Juniors.

But maybe Francis really wants Crouse, or whomever, the chance they are gone goes up exponentially with every place we finish higher in the standings.

I keep reading conflicting reports on how "big" Dylan Strome really is.  Some websites say he's closer to 190, other websites have him under 180.  Although the closer we get to the draft, the more I think we should draft him.  Right now, we're getting very very little playmaking ability from our centers.  Basically we have no 1st line center.  Jordan's over-slotted, and I don't think Eric has it in him anymore to center a productive line.  He's the best non McEichel center available, and we don't really have any prospects that have the ability to take that spot one day.  I have a feeling Arizona takes him at #3.  They need a number 1 center just as bad.

As far as Marner, no.  I have been very heavily against picking "big" over an overall more talented player, but this guy is just entirely too small.  I know he's leading the OHL in scoring, but Chad LaRose put up 120pts in the OHL his final season.  If we have our second 1st rounder this year, and if he's available, then i'd consider it.  I have a feeling he's going to drop considerably down the projected list.

Lawson Crouse is realistically the player we end up picking if we finish 5th.  He's not as talented as the other guys in the top 5, and Francis seems to want a heavier team.

Noah Hanifin is who I hope we end up drafting somehow.  He'll probably be a top 2 dman if not a 1st dman.  Great at everything.  Size, Speed, Skill.  It wouldn't surprise me if Edmonton drafts him, even at the expense of passing on Eichel.  They're already set down the middle with solid prospects, unless of course they end up getting the 

My early projections

1. McDavid

2. Eichel

3. Strome (IF this is Arizona)

4. Hanifin

5. Crouse

My wishlist

Draft Hanifin

Get L.A.'s pick and hope Pavel Zacha or Paul Bittner falls to us

Realistic Outcome

Draft Crouse

Draft Bittner

Honestly we draft "centers" and they keep finding their way to ours wings minus Rask. Being realistic with myself I'm not sure Skinner would have ever cut it as an NHL center with his body though.

I hope whoever we draft is not in our plans for next season. I hope that ship sailed with JR.

I think Strome and Kylinglton is realistic and would be a great outcome! I would not pick Crouse. I know he "projects" well, but really, if you aren't producing more in juniors, I don't think you are a top 5 pick in a deep draft.

Edited by cclifford10

I hope whoever we draft is not in our plans for next season. I hope that ship sailed with JR.

I think Strome and Kylinglton is realistic and would be a great outcome! I would not pick Crouse. I know he "projects" well, but really, if you aren't producing more in juniors, I don't think you are a top 5 pick in a deep draft.

And if the cap stays at $69 million like it looks like it might, we won't have a lot of cash to fill top level holes.  Better to let the draftees finish Junior, and get a year of AHL experience, instead of wasting a  year of entry level contract playing possibly losing hockey(see the Oilers).

If we end up getting the King's pick, and it's in the 18-23 range, I really like Brandon Carlo. 

HT: 6'5"

WT: 186 lbs

POS: D

NAT:USA

Brandon Carlo is an industrious, shift-by-shift defenceman who lets the game come to him rather than chasing the play; he is able to quickly adapt to the pace of the game on the fly. Through maneuvering his way around the ice and making high-percentage, skilled decisions in all three zones, he is able to shut opposition offense down before it begins to take shape. Carlo is a smooth skater who can control the puck very well and get into open areas for scoring chances; that being said, he does and will need help finding offense due to his natural defensive style of play. All-in-all, a towering, defensive d-man that has very few holes in his game and is physically ready to make the next step.  

An absolute monster out on the ice and skates extremely well for his size…a good powerful skating stride and displays good lateral mobility…a mean, nasty, physical player… looks to jump up into the rush and push the offensive pace…possesses a hard shot and does a good job getting himself into shooting positions…good offensive instincts to go with his skating and snarl…ability to make some big body checks…a big minute muncher who plays both sides of the puck…physically he is almost NHL ready.

Carlo has the size and athleticism to really stand out this June. A tall, lanky stay at home defender that never appears to be out of position, Carlo is an incredible skater despite being a very big kid. A decent comparable to Erik Johnson of the Colorado Avalanche, Carlo does a good job of forcing players to the outside and crushing them into the boards without giving them the chance to break through. When he’s not sending people into the middle of next year, Carlo uses his big reach to make aggressive poke checks that don’t tend to be unsuccessful. All-in-all, Carlo has the makings of a very fine shutdown defenseman, a breed of players that tend to be overshadowed by their two way defense counterparts.

If we end up picking 6th, and we end up with the Kings 1st, we could go Mikko Rantanen and Brandon Carlo.  Our prospect pool would instantly get bigger and nastier!

Mikko Rantanen's Player Profile

The Finnish Bull likes to go the net like a big man should; he also likes to erase the graffiti of ugly defenseman along the walls. This kid has got “game” in him and has decent skills to boot.... Profile from: Eldon MacDonald of The Hockey Writers

It is really looking like 5 or 6. It WILL be 4,5 or 6 before the lottery, that's in stone.

Toronto has played 2 more games and just seems to be coming apart at the seems. It is hard to project us dropping past them.

That would leave 5 or 6 between us and Columbus. We're solidly in 5 w/ CBJ in 6, and our defense keeps getting decimated, but unless last night's game was an outlier this team still has fight, and we have solid goaltending. Hard to call on the 5/6 question.

The one thing that high draft pick advocacy has in our favor (maybe even to get to 4) is that that we are facing a very tough schedule. Our next 4 games: MTL, NYR, CHI, PIT. Skip NJ, then BOS (on a roll now), WSH, FLA (who still might be in it and on the road). Also, 5 of our last 7 are on the road.

4-5-6 is a lock. Given our tendencies one would say 6, but right now with our schedule? I'm leaning 5.

Stlll hoping for 4. That schedule and our defense could get there if Toronto finds any game.

Edited by remkin

If we end up picking 6th, and we end up with the Kings 1st, we could go Mikko Rantanen and Brandon Carlo.  Our prospect pool would instantly get bigger and nastier!

The Finnish Bull likes to go the net like a big man should; he also likes to erase the graffiti of ugly defenseman along the walls. This kid has got “game” in him and has decent skills to boot.... Profile from: Eldon MacDonald of The Hockey Writers

I've read reports saying Rantanen isn't that physical for his size.  Some reports don't have him in the top ten too.  Also, there's conflicting draft projections on Carlo.  Some have him as high as 18th, others have him in the 2nd round.  Although given his height and size, I doubt he makes it out the first round.

I was just going to post something about him today but you beat me to it.

I watched him during the World Junior Championships and he was the dominant player for Finland by a wide margin. I was as impressed with him as any other player. It was a small sample size but at least I got eyeballs on him and I remembered his name before I even started looking into the draft.

Taking him at #6 might be a bit high but then again who knows.

From what I understand he's not that physical but he doesn't avoid contact at all. He goes where he needs to go and battles when he needs to. He's obviously a skilled, big-bodied player and those are always in demand. Not sure how he has fared outside the WJC's though.

Another player I was impressed with was a USA player by the name of Austin something IIRC. He played with a lot of tenacity and grit, and he generated a lot of offensive chances, especially around the net. I'm not sure about his pure skill level or his size, but I was impressed. Not sure if he is draft eligible this year.

If anyone knows who this is let me know (just got home from work and I'm too lazy to search right now).

. . .

Another player I was impressed with was a USA player by the name of Austin something IIRC. He played with a lot of tenacity and grit, and he generated a lot of offensive chances, especially around the net. I'm not sure about his pure skill level or his size, but I was impressed. Not sure if he is draft eligible this year.

If anyone knows who this is let me know (just got home from work and I'm too lazy to search right now).

Austin Matthews?  2016 draft eligible . . .

Austin Matthews?  2016 draft eligible . . .

I'm pretty sure that's him.

Thanks. I'm going to keep an eye on him/read up on him a bit down the line.

Thanks again.

I'm pretty sure that's him.

Thanks. I'm going to keep an eye on him/read up on him a bit down the line.

Thanks again.

He's projected to be the top pick of next year's draft. He's about the same size as Eichel/McDavid. Plays a similar game to Eichel.

He's projected to be the top pick of next year's draft. He's about the same size as Eichel/McDavid. Plays a similar game to Eichel.

Wow, no wonder I was impressed. Of course now I feel like a tool for pointing out that the projected #1 pick looked good (thanks Captain Obvious).

As far as playing like Eichel, they looked different to me. Eichel skates with an upright style and protects the puck, moving around the perimeter and waiting for a play to develop. Much like Malkin does.

Matthews seemed to skate with a more lean-forward/aggressive style. He seemed to drive the net more, trying to make plays happen as opposed to Eichel's patience. Matthews was around the net a lot.

Eichel seems more naturally skilled. Matthews seems more tenacious/gritty.

Of course I'm just offering my opinion on the small sample size I watched. I'm looking forward to see how both of these guys transition into the NHL down the line.

BTW thanks for the insight/info.

Edited by Kyrule

Assuming we pick as we currently stand now at #5, we would likely have a shot at one of Hannifan, Marner, or Strome.

Of those 3, I'm curious which player do folks think would be the best pick?

Personally, and right now (yes, an out clause), I would say Strome.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Assuming we pick as we currently stand now at #5, we would likely have a shot at one of Hannifan, Marner, or Strome.

Of those 3, I'm curious which player do folks think would be the best pick?

Personally, and right now (yes, an out clause), I would say Strome.

To me this is why we want to finish 4th. If we win the lottery it's lights out, but if not, I really think we want either Strome or Marner. Since GM's prefer offense, unless there's an Ekblad sitting there, watch the forwards go.

I would not be surprised to see the top 4 being:

McDavid, Eichel, Marner, Strome.

Could be why Toronto is tanking so hard.

Strome has the size and we are constantly wanting to get bigger, but Marner plays bigger. Both have racked up serious points this year in Juniors. Strome kind of reminds me a bit of.....Eric Staal. Big rangy, but not physical.

I think I like Marner, but he's not huge. But he is simply awsome at everything else. And he's got speed.

I'd be happy w/ either one, but Marner might just have the slight edge. Doubt he's there at 5. Maybe 4.