The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Whaler1

2015 NHL Entry Draft

If Marner or HAn are available then I think this is a no brainer.  If Strome is available then I am not so sure.  Something about Crouse (being a good defensive prospect) sounds appealing to me,

Here's a good read:  http://www.todaysslapshot.com/nhl-east/metropolitan/nhl-draft-2015-carolina-hurricanes-preview/

Good read.  I agree with most of it.  The writer is high on Nedeljkovic...we'll see.

Edited by super_dave_1

Very good article. The writer hit every point in his evaluation of this team. Thanks for posting

Agree it was a good article. I also agree with a lot of it. Cleary the pick too.

ISS Hockey has put out it's final rankings too:

1 McDavid, Connor C

2 Eichel, Jack C 

3 Strome, Dylan C

4 Crouse, Lawson LW

5 Hanifin, Noah LD 

6 Marner, Mitchell C

7 Provorov, Ivan LD

8 Barzal, Mathew C

9 Rantanen, Mikko RW

10 Zacha, Pavel C

11 Werenski, Zach RD 7/19/1997 L 6.02

Much love for Crouse. Much love.

I agree with the author of BD's article though. If the Canes are truely sorry they aren't bigger, then still pick Marner, then trade for size and draft it in the second round.

Edited by remkin

Yet another mock draft:

This one is intersting in that it is by a Toronto blogger, and includes quotes and innuendo that try to get at not just a ranking, but who will pick who:

http://sb7.sportsblog.com/posts/2267982/in-depth-first-10-picks-nhl-mock-draft.html

He has Hanifin dropping to us.

On Strome to Arizona he quotes a Toronto Sun reporter saying that Arizona: told one of Dylan Strome’s agents that they wouldn’t pass on him if they had the third overall pick.

On Marner to Toronto: this is a Tornonto blogger, not that he knows, but he quotes the quote I've posted about the asst GM saying that they would not pass on Marner due to size (which he takes as a hint that he is their guy). And Toronto could put Marner at center giving them the much vaunted #1 center. And that Marner is on record as really wanting to play for Toronto.

On us taking Hanifin: Their defensive core of the future will be set with Faulk, Fleury, Murphy and Hanifin, giving the Canes some comfort on the back end. After this pick, Carolina only has to worry about their forward positions for the rest of their re-build.

He has Rantanen then Crouse after that.

Mock update:

5 new mocks have us on:

Marner (3)

Hanifin

Crouse

What is interesting is the rise of Barzal. He started the year pegged as the first option under McEichel, but injured his patella and got a slow start. But he is making a push on the mocks. Before June he was an occasional visitor to the top 7. Now, since June started, he is the next pick after ours at #6 in 7/10 mocks.

Here's a pretty throughough look into Barzal from a NJ writer:

http://www.inlouwetrust.com/2015/6/6/8738061/mathew-barzal-2015-nhl-draft-prospect-profile

Crouse is holding pretty steady at #7.

No one else has taken to dropping Hanifin or Strome, and basically Stomarnifin is still very intact at the top 5.

Since June w/ two mocks outside of the DC database: and the rest lised there:

Marner (6)

Hanifin (3)

Crouse (2)

Strome (1)

No one of those 12 has dropped Hanifin below 5 and Stromarnifin is over 90% intact overall, and Barzal is overwhelmingly on the rise to #6.

Edited by remkin

Law check out the offseaon thread for more discussion of that than you might want. There also discussion of it way back in early May when Eklund claimed that rumor from a "high" up source.

LawDawg, there seems to be support for it here, but the pulse I get from Canes fans everywhere else on the interweb is pretty much a resounding "not interested".

Put me down on that list.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Since  mid  40s, Boston College has made 34   Tournament  Appearances... I think If  HanIfin falls to us, pretty good chance he is going to excel at next level.... BUT Mitcher Marner could be this years  Tyler Johnston.. So the choice is going to be win-win... JMO

Han is probably the safest pick for us. Might as well build up a legit blur line from the draft. That's how all the great teams do it these days. It's time for a change.

As interesting as the 5th pick will be, I'm more intrigued by how RF will handle the rest of the draft, who who will drop, and what risks will be taken. I have a feeling we'll look back and see a lot of important pieces coming from this draft, not just from the 5th.

It is always tough after the second round, but I hope you are right donwake. While it is hard to hit after the second round, teams that do, seem to really benefit dramatically.

I do think that the second round pick at #35 should be a really solid prospect though.

I also still wonder if GMRF might find a way to pick up another first rounder in a trade.

Another round robin sort of mock draft has us on Hanifin. (These have bloggers from each team's city make their pick in turn).  This one at SB Nation, has Bob Wage picking for us.

Most of the reasoning we here know, but it is interesting to see it stacked up:

http://www.canescountry.com/2015/6/11/8764023/nhl-mock-draft-2015-hurricanes-select-noah-hanifin

There is also a link to that mock draft as it stands thus far.  Of note they are now at #9 and no Crouse or Rantanen picked yet. Also interesting Barzal continues to get the love at #6.

But what to me is most interesting is this. Now 3 separate drafts with locals making their one pick only, ALL have the Coyotes and Leafs taking the forwards and Hanifin sliding to us.

I like what one commenter said on our pick: "Take Hanifin, then take forwards with every other pick of the draft."

I still wonder if one of Skinner, Ward or E. gets moved for another first rounder. How great would it be to be able to swing back the other way from whoever we pick at #5, and go opposite later in the first? ie: Hanifin, then forward, or Marner, then dman. But anyhow..

I still love Marner, and Strome as well. But there is something intellectually pleasing to know that after a couple of years we could have one of the best defenses in the NHL for years to come, and at least one end of the ice, that we have traditionally struggled in, is set, allowing all focus on finding forwards.

Edited by remkin

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=770698&navid=DL|CAR|home

Tony MacDonald, the Canes’ chief amateur scout on Hanifin:

• “He’s a big man. He plays a very efficient and effective game.”
  • "He’s got some offensive dimension to his game, although that wouldn’t necessarily be his greatest strength at this point in time, His greatest strength right now is that he’s a big man who skates well.”
  • "There’s not much not to like about Noah Hanifin, He should play in the NHL for a long, long time.”

Not quite as ringing an endorsement as I'd have expected.  The way MacDonald describes it, sounds like he views Hanifin as having a great foundation, but not exactly a "defensive Connor McDavid" at this point.  I guess that fits in with the view that a lot of scouts have put forth that Provorov is currently the most "NHL ready" d-man in the draft?

Edited by LakeLivin

“There’s not much not to like about Noah Hanifin,” MacDonald said. “He should play in the NHL for a long, long time.”

Sounds pretty dadgum good to me.  Glowing. :P

Draft Hanifin if he's there, then go about the business of making this team harder to play against with our other 9 picks.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Draft Hanifin if he's there, then go about the business of making this team harder to play against with our other 9 picks.

Agreed.

Outside of McDavid and Eichel, Hanifin is #1 on my wish list.

Looking at the playoffs, it's obvious you need that high-end/elite shut-down defenseman (or two). It's always been that way with few exceptions.

Keith, Seabrook, and Hedman have been huge for their respective teams. Keith is a machine, it's almost inhuman to log that many minutes at that level of play.

I'm even considering Provorov at #5 if Hanifin is gone, but passing on Strome or Marner.......

I am, again, completely down with drafting Hanifin. But I'm not so sure about reaching to the next tier. The Hawks and Tampa have strong 1-2 defensive guys w/ one total stud, as do most cup teams, but they are also both loaded up front, as are most cup teams. What you really need is the maximum amount of talent in all areas. Duh, I guess, but the point is that if elite talent is on the board, I don't step down a notch to chase defense. We picked D with the #7 pick last year. We got a very nice d prospect from LA. We have Faulk, and this year there will be intriguing dmen at #35 too (around where we got Faulk), and some UFA options.

Faulk-Fleury

McKeon-UFA

and other prospects can still form a nice defense. Not as good to be sure, but we need help up front too (#27 in goals for).

It is also still possible that at least one vet gets moved for defense or another first round pick (could pick defense).

I am doing the Snoopy dance if we get Hanifin, but also if we get a piece of StroMarner. If we drop to the next tier? Not unless it is a trade down, and even then not sure...

That's just me, but grab the elite talent: Stome Marner Hanifin. Those are the "could have gone first in another year" guys. There is a drop off after those guys. Just nice to at least be on that shelf for once.

Sure, Chicago has Keith and Seabrook, but they also have Kane and Toews, followed by probably the offensively deepest group of forwards outside of.....Tampa.

Edited by remkin

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=770698&navid=DL|CAR|home

Tony MacDonald, the Canes’ chief amateur scout on Hanifin:

• “He’s a big man. He plays a very efficient and effective game.”
  • "He’s got some offensive dimension to his game, although that wouldn’t necessarily be his greatest strength at this point in time, His greatest strength right now is that he’s a big man who skates well.”
  • "There’s not much not to like about Noah Hanifin, He should play in the NHL for a long, long time.”

Not quite as ringing an endorsement as I'd have expected.  The way MacDonald describes it, sounds like he views Hanifin as having a great foundation, but not exactly a "defensive Connor McDavid" at this point.  I guess that fits in with the view that a lot of scouts have put forth that Provorov is currently the most "NHL ready" d-man in the draft?

Don't get me wrong, I didn't post this as an argument against taking Hanifin if he's available. It was more my take on MacDonald's impressions.

I know that interpretation is up to the individual, but I stand by my impression that MacDonald wasn't as gushing as you might expect him to be about a player that was once mentioned in the same breath as McDavid and Eichel.  Each of the bullet point statements above sounds warm but not especially enthusiastic to me.  I would have expected something more along the lines of "He has the potential to be a franchise cornerstone d-man" rather than "He should play in the NHL for a long, long, time".  I mean, Sean O'Donnell played 17 years in the NHL, but he's not the type of player I'd target with a pick like this year's #5oa (and no, I'm not equating Hanifin with O'Donnell, just using him to illustrate a point). 

Of course, it could be that MacDonald is extremely reserved. It will be interesting to see what he has to say about Marner and Strome.