The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Whaler1

2015 NHL Entry Draft

A quick  glance at the Poll and it's at 65% who choose Hanifin or Provorov.

it's not surprising.  Look at the models of Nashville and Chicago.  These teams have always fielded a consistent blue line over the years,. Mainly Nashville has built their blue line in house and for years Sutter and Weber carried the team to the playoffs.  For years, the Canes have had a terrible blue line.  I feel it's time to try our hand at a legit deep blue line in 2 years time form now.

Faulk-Han

McKweon - Fleury

Murphy - Gritty Veteran

It doesn't look too bad.  it seems that in today's NHL you HAVE to have a good mobile blue line.  The days of the gritty in your face blue line are just about over with.  I feel it's more about good skating / good with the stick blue liners now that play a great defensive positional game.  I'm fan with whichever route we take.  I realize several of you will cringe if we go with a d man.  But it will pay off 2- 3 years from now when we are fielding one of the best blue lines in the NHL.

Plus, you have Ward and Staals contracts coming to an end.  If we can restructure these contracts for home town discounts then so be it.

Edited by bluedevil58

I voted Crouse, simply because I could.

My real choice is Hanifin or Provorov if Marner is the one left out of the "2nd tier of 1st overall picks in a given year".

Yes, even I, who likes pre-draft stuff, have had about enough speculation and cannot wait to see what actually happens.

Yes, even I, who likes pre-draft stuff, have had about enough speculation and cannot wait to see what actually happens.

wxray marks the following down on his calendar:

A momentous day today, June 25.  Remkin has a post less than one line width long and says he's had enough.

But just briefly on the poll:

Clear winner at this point is Hanifin. This board is ready for more defense. No doubt we need it. Every yours truly who will get a serious thrill if we pick Marner, voted for Hanifin. Still Marner was #2 and many commented that they would be fine with him.

The clear winner in the trade down quesiton is Provorov. He is making a late season charge to the top in the mock drafts and scouts. He has been rising all year and pushing late to go even higher. This guy was seen as a second rounder a year ago. What a climb. 

Bob Wage has us taking Provorov #5. Either Provorov or Hannifin would form a great defense of the future w/ Faulk and Fleury and maybe even McKeon and Murphy. 

Size is clearly on the minds of most. While a solid contingent would overlook size for Marner, Crouse gets a lot of votes in the trade down and 2 votes at #5, supporting that defense and size are what this board really wants, but for a large minority Marner would be the one exception.

It really is an interesting draft after McEichel, in that, especially w/ the rise of Provorov, and trade possiblities, a lot of things could happen. 

Still time to vote, Still time to get your predictions into Lake's contest. But tomorrow could be very interesting and should be very exciting no matter how it goes down.

Edited by remkin

My take on the Poll is that 70% of respondents would choose a player other than Mitch Marner.

I don't think you can extrapolate from the Poll that size is on anybody's mind .  One person has already said the Crouse choice wasn't even serious.

Based on the results, the two defenseman are valued over anyone else available, whether we trade down or not.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I'd much rather take one of Hanifin/Provorov (whoever is left) than to take the chance on Marner who has as much of a chance (in my eyes) of being a complete flop as Crouse at the 5 pick. One of Hanifin/Provorov should solidify the blue line for the first time since man crawled out of the mud and stood on 2 feet. The Cup D squad was highly serviceable, but not great by any means.

Matthew Barzal, Who has been climbing and widely placed in the number six lot is a small forward. He got zero votes in any part of the poll while Crouse whose main attraction is size, received six total votes. Hanafin is also 6'2". These are not absolutes with such a small n value but it is an indication of a preference for size. Personally the fact that Marner didn't get more votes is us an indication that direction.

That said, I will admit that I am reading into it a bit.

I do completely agree with the contention that the two favorite defenders are the main story of the poll, as I mentioned in my post.

After combining the poll results with comments made in this thread, I think that the overall mood is in favor of one of the two top defenseman. Marner received the most votes for forward and the comments on this thread have a largely been that most people would be okay with him while preferring the defenseman. And there is a sizable minority who have an interest in Crouse.

Edited by remkin

I'll be there.

dogbutler, glad someone from here is going. Am hearing the venue is small, ios that true, and how early to get there for good seat?

If you want a noisy place where you can't hear squat about what's happening behind the scenes then the draft party is for you.

If your into actually watching the draft coverage your sofa is the better choice.

Edited by coastal_caniac

If you want a noisy place where you can't hear squat about what's happening behind the scenes then the draft party is for you.

If your into actually watching the draft coverage your sofa is the better choice.

Look at that.  Spoken not a true bitter non-RDU living resident!   ;)

Edited by bluedevil58

I'm with coastal.  On my couch with my laptop is how I'll be keeping up with the draft.

It's not like watching a game at a bar.  I've been to several Cool Bars events.  I don't the the draft is the same.

dogbutler, glad someone from here is going. Am hearing the venue is small, ios that true, and how early to get there for good seat?

I believe I've been to 3 draft parties and was at last year's which is the same venue as this one.  I wouldn't say it is small, but it is not laid out well for a large gathering that's for sure.  I can't remember how early we got there, but basically the inside was already full.  We ended up getting a table on the patio.  This turned out to be great as at the table next to us was Nic Wallin, the Secret Weapon!  That was cool.  I think Mrs. Storm won a door prize too. 

It will be loud and crowded, but then again, if you haven't gotten your fill of talking heads, you have a worse hockey problem than me.:D

Guys, cool it. I've been to the last 3 parties, but just had missed last year at Buffalo Brothers and trying to find out how it compared. I know how chaotic it can be, but I need to get away front town(been overwhelmed by Medical Examiner stuff). I'm going no matter what, and hope I bring us good luck!!

KJUNKANE, I hope you have a great time down there.  Its always good to be in a hockey enviroment! 

Have you by chance been to their arena before?  I've been there once and I was amazed at just how far it is from everything.  Before I went there, I was under the impression that it was near Miami but in reality it if a pretty good ways west of Ft. Lauderdale.  It literally is right across the street from the eastern edge of The Everglades.

I thought the arena itself was pretty good but it is mauch darker inside than PNC due to their green seats.

If you like seafood, be sure to go to 15th Street Fisheries in Ft. Lauderdale.  www.15streetfisheries.com  They are rigth on the Intercoastal Waterway so you can have some great food and watch the boats cruise by.