The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Whaler1

2015 NHL Entry Draft

Does anyone else feel it is a little to quiet right now? I feel like (Pun intended) this is the calm before the storm. Francis is brewing something. I just have a feeling.

Edited by Kopes2718

Interesting article in the N&O by Luke DeCock about the draft.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article25477858.html

He suggests that the Canes need to trade down (but stay in the top 10) if Hanifin is gone.  Obviously, he sees the Marner issue the same way many of us do.  He does though have some misguided idea that the team wouldn't benefit from another big center (Staal brothers argument).

The Hurricanes don’t really need a big center, assuming they hang onto the Staal brothers, and they’re a long way from being in a position to benefit from another small, skilled winger – they have bigger, more fundamental needs to fill.

Good article and a reasonable game plan. I agree that the Canes not needing a big center is a bit of a stretch, especially if we keep the Staals together. Would they really pass on Strome if Hannifin is gone?

I always wonder if Luke has intel or is just pontificating. Either way, he has followed this team closer than any of us for a long time and his option is worth considering. It does suggest that Marner is the guy they might trade down from, but also suggests trading down from Strome. Hmmm. Basically it's Hanifin or trade down for Luke.

I do see that Luke is not a fan of Marner for this team (implies another Skinner). I don't agree. While I've posted and reposted that I go Hanifn Strome Marner in that order, I do still like Marner if he is there. He is not Skinner, and if we pick Marner, at some point I probably move Skinner for defense or other needs at some point.

Still, it may be reflective of how the Canes see it too. If so, Hanifin or bust.

One does wonder though, if the plan is to get the defense together as the top priority, why does Luke not take Provorov at 5? He will probably not be there in a trade down. I guess we could go Werenski, but Luke is talking trade down to 10-11 (vs 8 which was my guess), and both Prov and Weresnski could be gone there.

Edited by remkin

One thing I do know is this. It is game time. We all want the team to win. We are all Canes fans. In Ron We Trust. 

I appreciate the input of everyone on this board. It's only us diehard fans in here at this moment and everyone has a good take.

It could get interesting. I can't wait. 

Go Canes!

Given the quality of the "tier 3" prospects this year and the possible question marks about each of the "tier 2" prospects (size, skating, and projecting a 17yo d-man), I can see DeCocks reasoning.  I'll go with the Canes braintrust on this one, whatever they do.  Although, I'm probably one of the few here who would even be willing to pass on Hanifin and move down a couple of spots IF the extras were good enough (I'd be ok with Werenski or Provorov PLUS).

Does anyone else see the move to 3-on-3 OT as potentially raising the stock of Marner and Hanifin (one of the fastest skaters in the draft) while lowering Strome's just a tad?  Maybe not enough to change how a team lists them on it's depth chart, but it's likely you're going to be playing 3-on-3 sudden death in approximately 23% of your games.  That's a lot of points at stake. Seems to me that the skating and puck handling ability of your stars just became a lot more important.  For example, how much does E Staal "shrink" in 3-on-3 hockey?  Ideally, do you even want him out there?    

Edited by LakeLivin

Yes, Lake, I'd made that point back away regarding Marner, when it was announced, although it seems that no one paid me any attention. Did not realize that about Hanifin though!! Good point!!

Does anyone else see the move to 3-on-3 OT as potentially raising the stock of Marner and Hanifin (one of the fastest skaters in the draft) while lowering Strome's just a tad?  Maybe not enough to change how a team lists them on it's depth chart, but it's likely you're going to be playing 3-on-3 sudden death in approximately 23% of your games.  That's a lot of points at stake. Seems to me that the skating and puck handling ability of your stars just became a lot more important.  For example, how much does E Staal "shrink" in 3-on-3 hockey?  Ideally, do you even want him out there?    

I think that is a good consideration, but are you ahead of the curve? This has been coming, so some GM's may be considering it. Then again, they have their own time honored way of scouting and thinking. There are usually a few teams each year that miss or make the playoffs based on their OT and SO records, and even outside of that home ice could be determined by it. 

Our team has a lot of holes, but even before I don't think we've even been great at 4 on 4. Taking a guy who can help on the 4 on 4s that happen during the game and the 3 on 3 is worth considering. But how much? 

In this case I think all of the guys we are considering a good skaters except Strome. Will he fall on that? Probably not, but he would be the most obvious of the top guys.

Mobile defensemen though. Now that just seems to be the clearest issue. Teams will need them badly. Murphy may surprise here, and Fleury is a good skater, as is McKeon and of course Faulk. But in the draft, grabbing a mobile defenseman has to have it's stock raised.

Provorov is a good skater, as is Werenski to, but...

The one thing we have the greatest consensus of on here is that Noah Hanifin checks pretty much every box. Lets hope he falls. If GM's have 3 on 3 on the mind he may not.

Edit: Kjun. I recall you making that point too. Also, clearly I agree on Marner, especially if it is him vs. Crouse, but I left it off so as not to revisit that issue. But...since you raised it...of course Luke doesn't agree. 

Edited by remkin

Does anyone else feel it is a little to quiet right now? I feel like (Pun intended) this is the calm before the storm. Francis is brewing something. I just have a feeling.

I get the feeling that something is brewing but that doesn't mean anything will happen. My hunch is that we will either see a block-buster type deal or no deal at all. I think Francis is comfortable with his choices at 5 so any deal would need to suit his (Francis) needs.

Please note I said my hunch not I think or I know. I really don't know what to expect from RF but I am intrigued by it all.

I think there are some things brewing, but nothing will come to fruition until picks 1-4 are made.  I can't see anybody pulling the trigger on a trade for a targeted player until it is known if that player is going to be there.  Coyotes can make a deal, because the league knows who will be available...everybody but McDavid and Eichel.

IMHO, and if the "prognosticators" are correct, we are in for a whirlwind day!! Just hope GMRF can keep his cool and not get caught up in the frenzy.

BTW, and although as I'd indicated I'll be making the drive to Raleigh, what channel will bring us the draft proceedings?

Edited by KJUNKANE

It looks like NBC Sports Network is airing the draft and NHL.com will live stream the event.

I never count on live streams until they actually happen but that is what I found.

A little confusing, another site says NBC Live Extra will stream tonight and NHL.com on Saturday

And so it begins....

The Ottawa Senators on Friday traded goaltender Robin Lehner and forward David Legwand to the Buffalo Sabres for the No. 21 pick in the 2015 NHL Draft

Since they are draft rumors I'll put them here:

Hope_Smoke @Hope_Smoke

Marek'so on Hockey Central at Noon saying the Leafs may swap picks with Carolina if Marner goes 3rd. Said Leafs may drop as low as 8th

and

Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch: The Blue Jackets own the eighth, 34th, 38th, and 58th, overall picks – and are itching to cash in some of their chips for the player(s) they covet. This includes possibly trading with Arizona to move up to third to potentially select defenseman Noah Hanifin:

“The Blue Jackets are one of those “legitimate” offers, and they would appear to have all the pieces Arizona would want to slide down five spots,” Portzline notes. “Roster players, the Blue Jackets, as noted frequently in the last few weeks, have too many forwards on their roster and are looking to unload.”

Add in the above mentioned draft picks, and the Blue Jackets may be able to make the most appealing offer

There is also other talk of several other teams trying to move up and down. Also, the Leafs as low at #8 is again, Columbus. I really think if I am Columbus, already deep in prospects and w/ all those second rounders I am really motivated to try to move up.

So this suggest that the Leafs really want Marner and that the BlueJackets might move a lot of picks to get Hanifin. Just rumors but still.

Edited by remkin

This is by far one of the most exciting drafts in a while, and to be a canes fan. OBxer I agree its either a blockbuster or something very small. I hope by the time I crack open my second Molson tonight watching the draft we are at least free of Semin. If Staal goes I switch to Champagne. I feel like a little kid on Christmas! Too much anticipation.

So how this plays out right in front of us will greatly impact our options and the direction we take. Could be spin, but this theme has been out there before and now:

James Mirtle of The Globe and Mail: With the fourth overall pick, the Maple Leafs appear divided on selecting either forward Mitch Marner or defenseman Noah Hanifin:

“Unsurprisingly, the main voice in the Marner camp is Toronto’s director of player personnel, Mark Hunter. The former Knights general manager knows Marner intimately – he picked the forward 19th overall in the 2013 OHL draft and persuaded him to forgo a scholarship offer from the University of Michigan.”

Meanwhile it’s new head coach Mike Babcock that’s pushing hard for Hanifin:

“His vision for how the Leafs will play mirrors his philosophy in Detroit and with Team Canada: He wants a team that moves and thinks fast and that doesn’t spend a lot of time in its own end. Strength on the blueline and at center is paramount. A smallish winger? Not as much.”

Which leaves President Brendan Shanahan to break the potential deadlock as Mirtle notes:

“he made Hunter his draft and scouting guru for a reason.”

To which I note, yes, but he just paid massive massive bucks for his new coach. I am thinking there are now two teams who really could or even should take Hanifin ahead of us, the guy most of us think is best for us. On top of that, Hanifin is mentioned as the guy Columbus would trade up for all the way to #3 possibly. Really anything could happen. But Hanifin dropping seems least likely, while most desirable.
Edited by remkin

Not to get too complicated, ok  to do that, Columbus is a team with a deep itch to move up and a great partner for us IMHO. However, it may well be that we both want the same player: Hanifin. This would mean they will have to move ahead of us rather than trade with us. I'm thinking that moving all the way up to 3 would cost them at least their top two second rounders though. They still might do it.

Edited by remkin

Luke DeCock's article basically says Hanafin if he's there or we trade down...I'm with this scenario as I think we'd be able to get one of either Zacha, Crouse or Rantanen plus another first or early 2d round pick and we could go D there. Could be a banner draft if we play it right.

It looks like NBC Sports Network is airing the draft and NHL.com will live stream the event.

I never count on live streams until they actually happen but that is what I found.

A little confusing, another site says NBC Live Extra will stream tonight and NHL.com on Saturday

Round 1 is tonight on NBCSN, pre-draft show starts at 5:30pm. The remaining rounds will be on NHL Network I belive tomorrow at 10:00am.

This is actually kind of historic as tonight's broadcast will be the first for a broader audience. Before it was just streamed from TSN or Sportsnet, I forget which.

Anyway, coverage of the first round will now actually focus on all teams, Canadian and American. In the past draft coverage was broadcast through, as someone put it, a "Canadian lens" and coverage involved Canadian teams almost exclusively. Most of the guys covering the draft tonight were brought over from the previous broadcast/analysis crew (Dreger, McKenzie, etc.).

Should be an improvement.

Last shot at mocks. NHL.com Kmmelman and Morreale have posted their final final mocks: 3-10:

Morreale:

Strome, Marner, HANINFIN, Zacha, Rant, Prov, Crouse Werenski

Kimmelman:

Hanifin, Strome MARNER, Crouse, Rant, Prov, Werenski, Meier

Of note:

No one has Strome somehow ending up with us. Just not on the radar.

Both of these guys drop Barzal below #12 in the face of recent mock trends pushing him up to the 6-7 range.

Rantanen solidly in at 7 for both guys. Crouse 6 and 9.

Mainly what I am seeing is that at least for the mock drafters Stromarnifin is in tact. However, it is also clear that the next level is not far off and it extends to at least #10, and probably #13. This would seem to create a favorable trade scenario for at least a couple of teams.

Last thing on prognostications of others.

NHL,com poll on who would you take after McEichel now at:

Strome 39%

Hanifin 32%

Marner 10%

Rantanen 10%

So they have Marner third, but clearly separated from Stronafin.

Of note the Maple Leaf fan poll w nearly 1000 responders put Marner much higher, which is reason to still hope Hanifin might drop to us.

Also of note, Rantanen has climbed up in the NHL.com poll.

Of note the Maple Leaf fan poll w nearly 1000 responders put Marner much higher, which is reason to still hope Hanifin might drop to us.

Doubt they are going to let the Leafs fan poll drive the pick

Crouse is 6'4" 215lbs at 17yo. He skates really well and is physical but his scoring isn't what you'd hope it would be for a player considered so high in the draft. That got me thinking: can any of you recall a case where a team has drafted a reasonably highly regarded player and switched him from offense to defense?  Not saying it would even be possible in Crouse's case, but the thought did get me to wondering.  It happens on occasion in the NFL, although not for players near the top of the draft.