The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Whaler1

2015 NHL Entry Draft

I am thrilled with Hanifin. We have needed defensemen for the longest time and now we have some excellent pieces in Fluery and McKewon, and of course Faulk. Being compared to Scott Niedamayer is icing on the cake. I'm very pleased Francis didn't do what Boston just did and go off the board and take someone like Lawson Crouse.

Now I just hope we don't try to rush him. Yes I'd love it if he were NHL ready right now but if he is not, let him develop. With Faulk, Fleury, McKewon, and now Hanifin, I'm very excited for the future of our blue line.

I've read that Hanifin is one of the fastest skaters in this year's draft.  Bodes well for the new 3-on-3 OT !

I was listening to the NHL radio feed & they did a quick interview with him about college next year.  He said he'd talk it over with his parents and his BC coach.  Then he added almost as an afterthought "and with the Canes". It will be interesting to see what he does.

Edited by LakeLivin

I was listening to the NHL radio feed & they did a quick interview with him about college next year.  He said he'd talk it over with his parents and his BC coach.  Then he added almost as an afterthought "and with the Canes". It will be interesting to see what he does.

We just need to get him down here and get him a gut full of bbq and he'll be sold.

I was busy tonight and was glad to see the Canes got Hanifin.

Now, RF, please do your magic and sign him.  We don't need no JJ crap.

As for Remkin's draft picks... I'm impressed.  Rem may live on an island sometime, but that island may contain the "Oracle of Raleigh"

It does raise an interesting question. What are Hanifin's options? Is he restricted as far as the AHL or did his college career choice negate that?  If Charlotte is in the picture, and we don't want to rush him, wonder what he'll do?  Eichel has said either the Slugs promise him an NHL slot or he'll return to college.  No minor league hockey for him at this point.  I wonder what Hanifin's thoughts will be. . .

McDonald said he is eligible to go to Charlotte, but it's either BC or NHL.  I don't mind waiting depending on how he feels.  We need to improve the blueline through a legit veteran top 4 dman who can be here for the future as well as the present.

Was a great night. We got the guy we wanted and needed, and I won a contest! 

I'd like to get back on that Island to be honest. There is still some work to be done, but investing in the Island out a couple of years could be a good move.

I know I'm no scout, but on Hanifin I did watch all the video I could find on the guy and read everything I could find, and for what it's worth, I am sure he will be what we think he will be. I think Fleury will be too, but I am sure about Hanifin. 

Like Fleury, he is way at the young end of the age range to still be that good.

The only thing is that I think we still need more defense this year. It will be interesting to see how he handles that, but so far a great draft.

Edited by remkin

Was a great night. We got the guy we wanted and needed, and I won a contest! 

I'd like to get back on that Island to be honest. There is still some work to be done, but investing in the Island out a couple of years could be a good move.

I know I'm no scout, but on Hanifin I did watch all the video I could find on the guy and read everything I could find, and for what it's worth, I am sure he will be what we think he will be. I think Fleury will be too, but I am sure about Hanifin. 

Like Fleury, he is way at the young end of the age range. 

The only thing is that I think we still need more defense this year. It will be interesting to see how he handles that, but so far a great draft.

Rem, the key is the "island" has to become "the mainland" where everyone is in agreement with a set of players that will rock us like a Hurricane.  You were on the island because you were optimistic crazy.  We all hoped to sail out to your island, but alas, it the winds were against us, and you.  When the Canes finally ice a real team islands will turn into mainlands.

So, I agree about Hanifin.  I'm excited.  Heck, we've suffered a long time now.  Mr. Owner PK warned us about patience.  I was very, very peeved that day, but I'm buying in.  I do care about next season, but I'm also realistic that it may still not be the Cane's time.

I'm glad to see RF keep a cool head.  We need that now.  Forget PK's comments.  Let's trust in RF.  It may mean a few years, but I'm ready.  

Go Canes!

Edit: I want to add this.  Mr. JR: go to <somewhere hot and in the underworld>.  You really hosed this team the last few years.  Thanks for nothing, bud!

Edited by wxray1

Hey I have to own what happened with the Island. The team never got there. A lot of players have come up way short of their potential though. Skinner came up way shy. E. underperformed and J. has never even gotten back to his third line Pens numbers. And that doesn't even mention Semin. Sure, Semin had a reputation, but he never laid down anything like what he did here last year. His was the worst contract in the entire NHL. Just 2 standard deviations awful. He wasn't even close to that bad in any year in Washington. The guy put up a ppg the year before the condos were being framed on the Island. Then Cam went in the can too for quite a while there.

I go out on limbs. It's fine. Makes it more interesting. But sometimes the limb snaps on you. 

Even w/ the Island team I wasn't saying cup, just playoffs. But when ALL five of your highest paid players fall way below their potential, well the limb snaps. 

Who knows though. If Francis leaves this team in tact and finds a replacement for Sekera, the original Island will get another shot. Not that I"m advocating that, but so far that's where we stand sans Sekera. Have to see if GMRF makes any major trades.

Edited by remkin

The Bleacher Report's has at least one national writer. Anyway he graded the first round. See below for another even better one from CBS sports.

We got an A. I think there were 9 A's, but still good. There was one A plus: Islanders getting Barzal at 16. That was a mega drop for him. I predict he will be way way higher in the redraft about 4 yrs from now. 

Holy cow did the Bruins take a beating. They picked 13, 14, and 15 and got a C-, D+, and F. While one never knows how these guys will pan out the Bruins went against a LOT of conventional wisdom 3 times, each one worse. After losing Hamilton and Lucic in part for the right to those picks? Seemingly a pretty bad day in Boston. 

Are their boards still operational over there?

Here's the link to the grades:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2507895-nhl-draft-grades-2015-report-cards-for-every-pick-in-round-1/page/14

Chris Peters of CBS sports was much stingier w/ the A's giving out only 3.

One for the Oilers picking McDavid, One for the Sabres picking Eichel, and one for us picking Hanifin.

He beat up Boston too.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/25226264/nhl-entry-draft-live-first-round-grades

Edited by remkin

So the Bruins day makes more sense. They did make their mad dash moves to try to get Hanifin, but couldn't make a deal w/ the Coyotes:

http://www.csnne.com/boston-bruins/bruins-tried-trade-and-pick-bcs-noah-hanifin

I wonder if they offered a deal to us, or suddenly realized that they better figure out who they were going to pick with these new picks. Might explain their really bad picks. 

Makes me feel even better about Hanfin that the Bruins went to all that trouble to try to get him. 

What a great pick! We have A LOT of draft and picks ahead of us so I hope we keep it rolling, the top 40 are all supposed to be impact players in this deep draft so we have 1 more big pick!

I do want us all to take a second to thank the Hornets for crapping the bed last night by taking Frank Kaminsky 9th overall, surely the "basketball gods" called up the "hockey gods" and said, "you guys have to throw these North Carolinians a bone after that pick!" So cheers to you Hornets!

Now officially starts my annual super over the top optimism!

What a great pick! We have A LOT of draft and picks ahead of us so I hope we keep it rolling, the top 40 are all supposed to be impact players in this deep draft so we have 1 more big pick!

I do want us all to take a second to thank the Hornets for crapping the bed last night by taking Frank Kaminsky 9th overall, surely the "basketball gods" called up the "hockey gods" and said, "you guys have to throw these North Carolinians a bone after that pick!" So cheers to you Hornets!

Now officially starts my annual super over the top optimism!

I'm saving my super over the top optimism for 3-4 years from now.  Although my optimism over GMRF's abilities as a GM are increasing at a geometric rate. :yippee: