The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Whaler1

2015 NHL Entry Draft

Being discussed in the rumor thread also. 

The logical move is Dobby, after last year, and I wonder what he'll bring back. But moving Ward is not completely unlikely either. If we keep Ward does he sign a new deal for after this year? If he won't or wants gone, it could be him moving. Cam should fetch a better return. Cam is in the same boat as Eric. If we want him, it has to be on a better deal after next year. Maybe he wants a change of scenery too. Dobby wants to be a number one. So if the brain trust thinks Dobby is better than last year, maybe they give him a new contract and move Ward.

GMRF would still have time to try to find another goalie if they think they have two backups, but if this year is a bit of a long shot anyway he could put that off and just go w/ Khudobin and Lack. Let them fight it out for best.

We need an NHL defenseman to at least bridge the gap until our awesome d prospects are ready.

Suddenly things are getting interesting.

Edited by remkin

Khudo to the Ducks, Gibson going to Edmonton and I'm hearing we are getting James Wisniewski

Not sure I like or understand that unless there's a pick coming too. Wisniewski makes twice as much as Khoudobin at $5m.

Pick #35: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=152111

No comment, I don't know enough about him, but we may have snaked Jersey because they scrambled to trade their pick after it happened.

Yeah, really hard to read this one. He certainly not very big. Makes me think he must be very skilled.need to investigate this one some more. Lookingi at those rankings he might've been a bit of a reach. Still they must've known what they were after. Edited by remkin

Yeah, really hard to read this one. He certainly not very big. Makes me think he must be very skilled.need to investigate this one some more. Lookingi at those rankings he might've been a bit of a reach. Still they must've known what they were after.

He's only 17, so he should size up a bit more. Edit- he is 18, so less room than I thought....

Edited by Red_Storm

I'm actually not as worried about size, and it certainly seems that Francis isn't either. Picks up a couple of big guys and of a couple of small guys just get the best guy.

It is a safe assumption however that if I forward is undersize he will need to project over skilled. But I don't know anything about the guy

Edited by remkin

Here's a fairly detailed Aho profile from a 'Nucks site:

http://canucksarmy.com/2015/6/17/nation-network-prospect-profiles-31-sebastian-aho

some excerpts

From McKeen’s Hockey:

If you draft Aho, be sure to specify which Sebastian Aho you are drafting, you want the Finnish player not the Swedish defender of the same name (no relation).  Aho spent the past season playing in the Finnish mens league and is under contract for one more season, but may be NHL ready after that and cross the pond. Aho is a playmaker with good offensive upside and vision who can plays a high energy game with speed and finesse. The knock on him is he may not translate in North American pro hockey.

From ESPN’s Corey Pronman:

[Aho] skates pretty well, and while he doesn't have blazing speed, it's certainly above average and enough to pressure defensemen off the rush. He's a very skilled and smart offensive player who won't make overly flashy plays but makes quick, creative decisions and moves the puck very well. His vision is high-end and can be a real threat on the power play.

Aho's hockey IQ translates well to defense, where he's shown during international play he can be quite effective, even when playing ahead of his age group. The main issue with Aho is his physical game.

Edited by LakeLivin

Thanks Lake. 

There were a lot of really nice prospects at #35. The braintrust must be really high on this kid. That article helps explain it.

Pick 96: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=151361 Center: 6'4" !!!

"An aggressive power center who has the ability to dominate on the forecheck. The first thing you will notice about Nicolas Roy is that he is a full-framed figure who powers through his strides and finishes his checks. Subsequently, you will notice his nose for the net; he cannot be knocked off stride easily and has a good set of hands around the net. All-in-all, a big-bodied, imposing presence on the ice who threatens the opposition with his deadly medley of size and skill. (Curtis Joe, EP 2015)"[/font

Edited by remkin

Did we really get James Wisniewski? Not sure if it's a great move or not.
So long to Dobby, minus 1 Russian on the team. Only Semin left. Left to go?

Edited by aRyazanCaniac

Not surprised by anything so far except the Finn, that pick just seems to be out of frame, another non-physical guy just doesn't make sense if he is not exceptionally gifted with speed or scoring touch.  We'll have to see.

6'4"! Wait until Remkin sees that! heehee

Due to recent ruffled feathers, a recent commitment to leave this alone, a dead horse who has kindly asked me to please stop beating it, and advice of counsel, I can neither confirm nor deny my particular feelings on this particular line of inquiry.

Edited by remkin

Tlusty trade pick #138:  http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=166979  6'1" RW

His name:  Spencer Smallman

You can't make this stuff up sometimes...   I swear at this point life is just messing with us.    :coollaugh:

On the serious side:

A hard-working forward that can play a gritty, grinding style of hockey. Can play in all situations effectively due to his willingness to battle in his own end, and natural instincts in the offensive end. Very smart with the puck in pressure situations, and passes with precision. Possesses great hands and puckhandling skills, not to mention a sharp, accurate release. All-in-all, a versatile winger that exhibits the ability to switch from a gritty, able-bodied two-way player to an offensive scoring threat in an instant. (Curtis Joe, EP 2014)

Edited by hag65

Pick 96:  http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=151361   Center:  6'4"  !!!

"An aggressive power center who has the ability to dominate on the forecheck. The first thing you will notice about Nicolas Roy is that he is a full-framed figure who powers through his strides and finishes his checks. Subsequently, you will notice his nose for the net; he cannot be knocked off stride easily and has a good set of hands around the net. All-in-all, a big-bodied, imposing presence on the ice who threatens the opposition with his deadly medley of size and skill. (Curtis Joe, EP 2015)"

Nicolas Roy RANKINGS

Ranked #67 by Hockeyprospect.com

Ranked #47 by ISS Hockey Ranked #46 by Future Considerations

Ranked #45 by NHL Central Scouting (NA Skaters)

Ranked #73 by TSN/McKenzie

Apparently Roy slipped a bit. Recognizing that he's still a longshot (as are all picks this late in the draft), seems like a good longshot to have.