The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Whaler1

2015 NHL Entry Draft

Harrison trade pick #169:      http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=225022     6'2" Center

David Cotton

A smart and competitive two-way center with high offensive upside. Exhibits smooth natural skating ability with a top speed that can be hard for the opposition to handle. Soft hands allow him to let his creativity flow free. Possesses a prolific skillset; he can snap the puck to the back of the net, make a seemingly tricky pass look easy, or hold onto the puck and establish a firm forecheck until the right opportunity shows itself. All-in-all, a player who has the ability to dominate offensively and defensively due to his size, speed, individual skills, and intelligence with and without the puck. (Curtis Joe, EP 2014)

RANKINGS Ranked #74 by Hockeyprospect.com

Ranked #142 by ISS Hockey
Ranked #62 by NHL Central Scouting (NA Skaters) 

Steal?

Edited by hag65

Summary:

Round 1

#5 Carolina Hurricanes 6.png Noah Hanifin (D)

Round 2

#35 Carolina Hurricanes 2.png Sebastian Aho (LW)

Round 3

#66 Traded with 2016 7th rounder to Vancouver for G Eddie Lack

Round 4

#93 Carolina Hurricanes 3.png Callum Booth (G)

#96 Carolina Hurricanes 3.png Nicolas Roy ©

Round 5

#126 Carolina Hurricanes 6.png Luke Stevens (LW)

#138 Carolina Hurricanes 3.png Spencer Smallman (RW)

Round 6

#156 Carolina Hurricanes 3.png Jake Massie (D)

#169 Carolina Hurricanes 6.png David Cotton ©

Round 7

#186 Carolina Hurricanes 3.png Steven Lorentz ©

Edited by hag65

Did we really get James Wisniewski? Not sure if it's a great move or not.

So long to Dobby, minus 1 Russian on the team. Only Semin left. Left to go?

Ryazan, nice to see you back on the board. Dobby will be ok. Most of us liked him but IMO this was the smart move .

Thanks hag65 for posting those draft player links in an easy to understand order. :thumbsup2:

You're welcome.  Rare weekend with family out of town so was able to vegitate and watch the draft.

Summary:

Round 1

#5 Carolina Hurricanes 6.png Noah Hanifin (D)     6'2" 205 lb

Round 2

#35 Carolina Hurricanes 2.png Sebastian Aho (LW)   5'11" 176 lb

Round 3

#66 Traded with 2016 7th rounder to Vancouver for G Eddie Lack

Round 4

#93 Carolina Hurricanes 3.png Callum Booth (G)   6'3"  198 lb

#96 Carolina Hurricanes 3.png Nicolas Roy ©    6'6"  198 lb

Round 5

#126 Carolina Hurricanes 6.png Luke Stevens (LW)   6'4"  190 lb

#138 Carolina Hurricanes 3.png Spencer Smallman (RW)  6'1" 187 lb

Round 6

#156 Carolina Hurricanes 3.png Jake Massie (D)   6'1"  172 lb

#169 Carolina Hurricanes 6.png David Cotton ©   6'2" 201 lb

Round 7

#186 Carolina Hurricanes 3.png Steven Lorentz ©   6'2" 176 lb

Thanks hag.  Edited to add some info I wanted to see all in one place.

I like it. Got a bunch of big, presumably physical kids with the later picks. Most of whom likely won't make it (which is to be expected,) The analogy here is raffle tickets; you only need one to hit to win, and the more you have the better chance you have of hitting.

Edited by LakeLivin

Thanks hag.  Edited to add some info I wanted to see all in one place.

I like it. Got a bunch of big, presumably physical kids with the later picks. Most of whom likely won't make it (which is to be expected,) The analogy here is raffle tickets; you only need one to hit to win, and the more you have the better chance you have of hitting.

I agree.  I still don't get the all important pick #35 but the rest of the lottery tickets are good.  However, the Finn may be great, have to count on the scouts to have delivered on that one.

If someone said Lou Lamoriello scrambled to trade the Devils pick after we picked him up that has to bode well....right?

Yeah, I saw it, that's what makes me feel better about it.

Pick 96: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=151361 Center: 6'4" !!!

"An aggressive power center who has the ability to dominate on the forecheck. The first thing you will notice about Nicolas Roy is that he is a full-framed figure who powers through his strides and finishes his checks. Subsequently, you will notice his nose for the net; he cannot be knocked off stride easily and has a good set of hands around the net. All-in-all, a big-bodied, imposing presence on the ice who threatens the opposition with his deadly medley of size and skill. (Curtis Joe, EP 2015)"[/font

Sounds tailor-made to rock our fourth line in a couple of years.

Harrison trade pick #169:      http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=225022     6'2" Center

David Cotton

A smart and competitive two-way center with high offensive upside. Exhibits smooth natural skating ability with a top speed that can be hard for the opposition to handle. Soft hands allow him to let his creativity flow free. Possesses a prolific skillset; he can snap the puck to the back of the net, make a seemingly tricky pass look easy, or hold onto the puck and establish a firm forecheck until the right opportunity shows itself. All-in-all, a player who has the ability to dominate offensively and defensively due to his size, speed, individual skills, and intelligence with and without the puck. (Curtis Joe, EP 2014)

RANKINGS Ranked #74 by Hockeyprospect.com

Ranked #142 by ISS Hockey

Ranked #62 by NHL Central Scouting (NA Skaters) 

Steal?

Our 96th pick gets a better review then Hanifin lol

And look at that review of our 169 pick. It makes him sound like a top-6 over-all prospect, not a top-6 round prospect :lol:.  Here's hoping that whoever wrote it brilliantly saw something no-one else picked up on!  Hey, Datsyuk was drafted 171st, right? ;)

Edited by LakeLivin

Ryazan, nice to see you back on the board. Dobby will be ok. Most of us liked him but IMO this was the smart move .

Thank you for your warm welcome back!

I do agree that it is only good for Anton to be sent to the Ducks and besides I like Lack more! :D

I agree.  I still don't get the all important pick #35 but the rest of the lottery tickets are good.  However, the Finn may be great, have to count on the scouts to have delivered on that one.

Without knowing details, the fact that GMRF picked "big" for most of the later rounds makes me feel better about his pick at #35. It makes me feel like there's enough talent there to offset the lack of size.  And, it makes me feel good about GMRF. Imo a small market team can't afford a dogmatic GM. 

Hope everyone is happy with our draft. I was thrilled we got Hanifin, like most probably were. I really liked his 4th rnd goalie selection, and the trade for Lack (a good backup replacement for less $ that I think will do well here). I also liked that RF strengthened our D without costing us too much for the interim. I was perplexed by some of the picks on day 2 (#35? and some of the low picks) I though they reached a little bit, but only time will tell. I'll keep my fingers crossed. All in all, we had a good draft I thought.

I wonder if there were kids they liked enough to invite to camp this year? Should be exciting.

I just watched the Noah Hanifin mic'd up video. A couple of interesting quotes:

When it was our turn to pick he turned to his father and said "I hope I don't get passed by this team."

They showed him in an elevator talking to someone and he basically said "I'm so relieved it's over and I know where I'm going. Carolina, it's awesome. That's awesome."

Not sure what to read into this but he was hugging his family and said, "I talked to the coach, and he said I'm playing next year."

Interesting.

This guy just oozes character and it seems like he wants to be here. Couldn't be happier with the pick.

Edited by Kyrule

I do agree that it is only good for Anton to be sent to the Ducks and besides I like Lack more! :D

Hang on aRyazanCaniac!  Glad to see you back.  The team may do something with Semin, but the nature of the NHL is such that surely we'll have some Russian speaking player sooner than later.

We need you to continue to cover that timezone offset of 7 hours!

I just watched the Noah Hanifin mic'd up video. A couple of interesting quotes:

When it was our turn to pick he turned to his father and said "I hope I don't get passed by this team."

They showed him in an elevator talking to someone and he basically said "I'm so relieved it's over and I know where I'm going. Carolina, it's awesome. That's awesome."

Not sure what to read into this but he was hugging his family and said, "I talked to the coach, and he said I'm playing next year."

Interesting.

This guy just oozes character and it seems like he wants to be here. Couldn't be happier with the pick.

He's drafted to a team where he can be "The Man" or at least "The Men" along with Faulk.  Wiz is a stopgap.  Noah could be our C some day, if things go well.

Welcome Noah.  USA!

P.S.  I can't believe we have a player we can refer to as "Wiz".  This is awesome!   :)

Edited by wxray1

Also, don't forget we've got another Russian in Tolchinsky coming to Charlotte from Soo. It'd be awesome if he makes it to the big league.

Blueline Building:

Is anyone else kind of jazzed about RF building from the blueline?  

This is going to take some time... But I'm in.  RF's relationship with the blueline has been a change of pace form JR.  Yeah, I know, Tanabe.  And... well let's forget about JJ.

But, RF, a center, seems to really be embracing the blueline.  JR, a goalie, seemed to have at best an unease truce with his blueline picks and trades.

There's a change in the air over Carolina.  I don't know where these leads.  But it will be different.

Tonight, before I got to bed, I'm praying for a Duncan Keith persona to take over our new friend, Noah.  Please God (or hockey gods, as it may be).  Please.

EDIT: ok, let me give a few kudos to JR for Faulk.  I have to stop slapping JR around.  No, maybe not.  Please JR.  Do your best to screw up the Pens as much as possible.  :)

Edited by wxray1

I just can't wait til it's 2017 when all these right moves finally start paying off.

Edited by legend-1