The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Whaler1

2015 NHL Entry Draft

Also, don't forget we've got another Russian in Tolchinsky coming to Charlotte from Soo. It'd be awesome if he makes it to the big league.

Oh yeah. I have high expectations of him. I guess we all do.

Recently, I've read he is now the point-leader among all Russians ever played in the OHL.

Would be wonderful if he could be ready for the NHL this season.

But what about McGinn and Fleury? I know only the camp will tell but what do you guys think? Maybe we shall have a shot at both Hanifin and Fleury playing with the big boys? 

Fleury was told to focus on defense and his offense dropped off a little. He is also on the young end of the age spectrum and a Dman, personally I think he's a year away, but will still be excellent eventually.

McGinn had an under the radar year in Charlotte, but reading the Checkers' announcer's take at the end of the year, he did everything right except put up big numbers and had already earned a shot at the big club. With a good offseason, I am anticipating him to turn heads in camp. But it could be a numbers game at the beginning. I would predict he starts in Charlotte but is the first forward called up.

PK17, after 6 years of abject failure, given the choice, I'm right there with you. I do not want to see the potential in these kids be compromised by anxiety to get into post-season, although I'd love nothing more than to relive that feeling. It appears that several teams are emerging from doldrums, like Edmonton and Buffalo, to name 2,and if we can, I'd rather not have a "one and done" scenario because we don' let these kids mature their game.

I'd

At least w/ Hanifin he is going back to College to play vs guys mostly older than him, in a pretty dang good college league.

I so wish Fleury could at least get a half season in Charlotte this year.

Not sure what to read into this but he was hugging his family and said, "I talked to the coach, and he said I'm playing next year."

I think Fleury needs a year still, I would prefer it be spent in Charlotte. I was really up in the air about bringing Hanifin straight in or waiting a year but after watching the video and hearing this line...it really sounds like the choice has been made! 

Carolina Hurricanes

Draft picks: The Hurricanes had nine picks, including Noah Hanifin.

Best and worst choices: Carolina fell into Hanifin, a sublime talent with the complete skill set. Their second selection, Finn Sebastian Aho, was taken miles too early. 

Grade: B+

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2502763-nhl-draft-grades-2015-final-report-card-for-every-team/page/4

For what it's worth, Boston got a "F" and JR got a "D"

Let's not forget that Hanifin accelerated his high school graduation to enter college a year early. So age wise, he's closer to an upcoming college freshman than a sophomore.  Don't know if that will effect the decision, but worthwhile keeping it in mind.

Carolina Hurricanes

Draft picks: The Hurricanes had nine picks, including Noah Hanifin.

Best and worst choices: Carolina fell into Hanifin, a sublime talent with the complete skill set. Their second selection, Finn Sebastian Aho, was taken miles too early. 

Grade: B+

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2502763-nhl-draft-grades-2015-final-report-card-for-every-team/page/4

For what it's worth, Boston got a "F" and JR got a "D"

I know I've said this before, but once you get past the bona fide blue chippers and into the 2nd round, it's my opinion that it's more of a beauty contest and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  Aho was certainly ranked lower by the people doing the ranking, but honestly, who is ranking the rankers?  I get a vague feel for the top guys, and then it's like my wife sending me to the store to pick out a bottle of wine.  They all look the same to me.

If he works out, I can't wait to hear the "AAAAAA, HOOOOOO" chants in the arena.

Interesting discussion on Canes Country by penner, sittler27, with regards to draft. Especially gives good insight on Aho. Also opines that "steal of draft" may be none other than Nicholas Roy. Even writes that he might become a 1st or 2nd line center in NHL!! Seems to be a reach, but what the heck, who is not at this juncture?

Looking forward to learning more about Aho. Clearly we scored big on our first rounder and some really interesting guys 4th and after, but love to hear more from the Canes about why Aho.

Looking forward to learning more about Aho. Clearly we scored big on our first rounder and some really interesting guys 4th and after, but love to hear more from the Canes about why Aho.

The analysts on NHL Network talked about Aho a little when he was drafted. They said something about him scoring the game 7 winner in OT for his men's team in Finland, and then boarding a flight to play the next day in a U18 tournament or something like that and assisting on the first goal. They said "scouts notice these kinds of things." They said it was a bit of a reach but at least it appears the kid likes to play.

On the down-side a breakdown of our picks in a Bleacher Report article said that Aho is a "Skinner-type player" that can be a "puck-hog" at times "trying to do it by himself" (I remember someone else here saying the same things about Skinner ;) ). They also said there were questions about his commitment to defense.

Not exactly what you want to hear but you have to consider the source and I'll have to trust our scouts for now. He is said to be highly skilled and can score goals so we'll see....

I thought the Aho pick was a big reach considering who was still on the board, but the scouts must see something.

Nicholas Roy seems to be regarded as somewhat of a steal in the fourth round, so maybe things even out.