The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Whaler1

2015 NHL Entry Draft

Crouse makes me a bit nervous. Seems to be a guy with all the physical attributes but hasn't put up the serious numbers , I mean like top five pick numbers, in juniors. I know his team was not particularly high scoring.I know a lot of scouts love the kid because of his physical gifts and size.I just think if you're going to pick a guy at number five especially in this draft, better be able to seriously score.

If anyone has any serious insight into Crouse I would love to hear it. Until then, for me at least, I go Marner or Strome.

Of course it won't really matter, because as coastal keeps telling us, we're going to win the lottery and take McDavid.

Edited by remkin

I'm not suggesting we take either of these players, but based on the research I've done, Crouse and Provorov seem to have Bill Peters kind of player stamped on their forehead.

Seems most media guys and fans have Crouse at 8-12 (except Craig Button).  I've only seen him play a few times so I won't base a decision only on point production, because that would do injustice to everything else he brings to a team.  That guy battles all over ice, gets to the net, fights....

Provorov's story is cool. Determined would be a good descriptor.  Coach asks for 100%, he does the work to put out 120%.  He's ranked consistently in the top 5-7 players.

McDavid will slot right in though, so no worries really.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I'm not suggesting we take either of these players, but based on the research I've done, Crouse and Provorov seem to have Bill Peters kind of player stamped on their forehead.

Seems most media guys and fans have Crouse at 8-12 (except Craig Button).  I've only seen him play a few times so I won't base a decision only on point production, because that would do injustice to everything else he brings to a team.  That guy battles all over ice, gets to the net, fights....

Provorov's story is cool. Determined would be a good descriptor.  Coach asks for 100%, he does the work to put out 120%.  He's ranked consistently in the top 5-7 players.

McDavid will slot right in though, so no worries really.

You beat me to it, I was going to hold off until after the lottery but I was going to say:

Don't be surprised if we take Provorov at #5 or #6.

A cerebral, good-skating defenseman with "laser-like passes" that excels at getting the puck up ice sounds exactly like a Peters type player.

Provorov has been mentioned as the most NHL ready of all the defenseman in this years draft.and there is the old defense wins championships adage, and Faulk, Fleury and Provorov (or Hanifin) would form one heck of a base for a defense.

That said, forwords are less risky, take less time to develop, and we took a defenseman last year, and I still go with Strome or Marner.

Edited by remkin

OK Toronto is clearly not thrilled with us potentially challenging them for the #4 slot cough *tank* cough, down 0-5 with 5 minutes remaining. 

So LA has to win tonight. (OK, an OT loss gives them a mathematical chance). A straight loss knocks them out. But a straight win gets them back in the driver's seat. A regulation win ups their playoff chances by an additional 30% in one swing. Now if Winnipeg would just go ahead and lose that will up them another 9%. 

If LA goes 2-0 they still have a 70% chance. 

It is all on the line tonight.

i WANT THAT PICK THIS YEAR!

Edited by remkin

So LA has to win tonight. (OK, an OT loss gives them a mathematical chance). A straight loss knocks them out. But a straight win gets them back in the driver's seat. A regulation win ups their playoff chances by an additional 30% in one swing. Now if Winnipeg would just go ahead and lose that will up them another 9%. 

If LA goes 2-0 they still have a 70% chance. 

It is all on the line tonight.

i WANT THAT PICK THIS YEAR!

Well, we get it next year. :sigh :

:kleenex: .

I guess this "slipping in at the end" thing finally caught up with them. But seriously, they finished like a disinterested toddler. 

More hopes of delayed gratification for us.

it just seems like nothing goes well for us in the last week of any season.  LA got canesitis or something.

And I got to hear a canes reference on XM Home Ice...

"LA is the first team since the 2006 Hurricanes to miss the playoffs the year after winning the cup"

it just seems like nothing goes well for us in the last week of any season.  LA got canesitis or something.

And I got to hear a canes reference on XM Home Ice...

"LA is the first team since the 2006 Hurricanes to miss the playoffs the year after winning the cup"

Now we need LA to keep it up.  (Down).  Fail miserably next year, LA!  Please.

And I agree.  The Canes have had some really bad last weeks of seasons lately.  I'm hoping that JR Karma transfers completely soon.  

Edited by wxray1

My preference of who I want the Hurricanes to draft in order:

McDavid

Eichel

Hanifin

Strome

Marner

Provorov

Crouse

Werenski

I've seen clips of Provorov, and of all players, he most reminds me of this year's Justin Faulk.  Having two of him on one team wouldn't be the worst thing in the world i suppose.

Is there a chance of LA taking a tumble next year?

Do they have some significant UFA's or other issues that may make them struggle?

I would look into myself but I'm in the hospital for the first time in my life so...

Yay! Breakfast is here. Chicken broth and jello!

Do they have some significant UFA's or other issues that may make them struggle?

I would look into myself but I'm in the hospital for the first time in my life so...

Feel better.  And they are tight against the cap, and may want to shake things up.

Feel better.  And they are tight against the cap, and may want to shake things up.

I was listening to a pundit on the way home last night on XM.  These guys are getting tiresome.  "They'll be back."   Blah, blah.

The reality is, who knows?  Quick is in his prime, but all it takes is one groin blow-out.

Also, one of the same pundits I was listening to (Bill Watters) said earlier this year that JR was going to right the ship in Pittsburgh this year.  How's that working out for you, BW and JR?  

It is a rare day when the pundits go out on a limb. But LA crept into the playoffs just about every time. I actually suggested at one point that a trade for their pick could end up being a lottery pick. (which it did), because their slipping in at the last minute could bite them. But they lottery protected it.

Not sure they can keep Justin Williams. They won't be able to re-sign Sekera. And Jarret Stoll is a UFA. They were up against it this year. They continue to have the issue of "their Semin" Mike Richards too, signed through 2019 at $5.75 million/yr.

Despite that, on paper, they should be back really. Kopitar, Carter, Gaborik, Williams (if they sign him), Doughty, Martinez, Muzzin, Quick. Ought to be enough of a core to at least make the playoffs. But, as Xray points out, an injury to Quick, Doughty, or Kopitar...

Still I was betting on this team being beatable in the playoffs, which the end of the year clearly showed they were. That would have been a 15 or so pick in a very deep draft. Even if the Kings faulter, it is hard to see that core being bad enough to pick too much higher next year.

I'm sure Francis got the best deal he could have, but I did wonder. They kept calling it lottery protected. I wonder if we could have made a deal that kept it lottery protected, but still got us the pick if they lost the lottery. ie: If that pick wins the lottery they keep it and we pick next year. If not, we get the #14 pick or whatever it ends up being....

Oh well. Gotta table that one and move on for now.

Edited by remkin

My preference of who I want the Hurricanes to draft in order:

McDavid

Eichel

Hanifin

Strome

Marner

Provorov

Crouse

Werenski

I've seen clips of Provorov, and of all players, he most reminds me of this year's Justin Faulk.  Having two of him on one team wouldn't be the worst thing in the world i suppose.

Insert Rantanen after Strome and then flip Marner and Povorov.

I would say it's almost probable and the reason is cap space. 

Insert Rantanen after Strome and then flip Marner and Povorov

Now that I like cclifford10!!!.

You know, the only thing I'd change on my list is Rantanen instead of Crouse.  I haven't seen him, but I've read that while he does have size, he's not a physical player, much like the players on our team with actual size.

The reason I got Marner up there is this team could really use a young, offensive playmaker.  At this point it's unknown, but I'd imagine with Carolina having 2 top dmen prospects in Fleury and McKeown, that they'd take on a third defensive prospect over say a forward.  I wouldn't hate it if we chose Provorov, actually quite the opposite, but i'd rather have offense since that's what this team needs most.

On XM Home Ice last night it was said that Sutter was locked out of the dressing room so he could not berate the players again after a loss.

If you are looking at anything to hope for, when a coach goes stale in the locker room, the team stops playing for him.  Could be well on its way, and I have heard nothing about him being close to being fired.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/kings-players-locked-darryl-sutter-out-of-dressing-room--somehow-didn-t-make-epix-141624554.html

P.S. Feel better!

Edited by hag65

On XM Home Ice last night it was said that Sutter was locked out of the dressing room so he could not berate the players again after a loss.

If you are looking at anything to hope for, when a coach goes stale in the locker room, the team stops playing for him. Could be well on its way, and I have heard nothing about him being close to being fired.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/kings-players-locked-darryl-sutter-out-of-dressing-room--somehow-didn-t-make-epix-141624554.html

P.S. Feel better!

Interesting......and thanks.

When a coach loses a team, sometimes it's pretty obvious. Hopefully Sutter's act has worn thin with the players but management is still smitten.

I think I read that Robyn Regehr may be retiring as well. He was a physical, stay-at-home defenseman for them last year that logged significant minutes.

Edited by Kyrule