The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Whaler1

2015 NHL Entry Draft

I agree about not moving down. There was a very real chance of that happening.

Things change up to draft day, but to me Hanifin, Strome and Marner are all legit #1 picks in a different year and we will get a chance to pick one of them at 5, but possibly not at 6.

Edited by remkin

While I an very disappointed that the Oil got the #1 pick AGAIN! ( I think I would have been OK if anyone else would have gotten it) we still have a pretty good chance of picking up a really good player.

(Midterm Ranking)

1.  CONNOR McDAVID (EDMONTON)
2.  JACK EICHEL (BUFFALO)    
3.  NOAH HANIFIN (ARIZONA)
4.  LAWSON CROUSE (TORONTO)    
5.  DYLAN STROME (CAROLINA)

Unless mgmt decides to go after someone higher up!

Edited by hopper915

While I an very disappointed that the Oil got the #1 pick AGAIN! ( I think I would have been OK if anyone else would have gotten it) we still have a pretty good chance of picking up a really good player.

(Midterm Ranking)

1.  CONNOR McDAVID (EDMONTON)

2.  JACK EICHEL (BUFFALO)    

3.  NOAH HANIFIN (ARIZONA)

4.  LAWSON CROUSE (TORONTO)    

5.  DYLAN STROME (CAROLINA)

Unless mgmt decides to go after someone higher up!

I think overall most people have Marner going ahead of Crouse. I've seen Crouse all over the place (two drafts having him go at #10).

His lack of production is hurting him, as he seems to possess a lot of other good qualities.

Marner on the other hand is a production machine and is more consistently ranked in the top 5.

I think he recently put up absurd numbers in the playoffs as well (something like 13 points in four games), so his stock isn't likely to fall.

I think overall most people have Marner going ahead of Crouse. I've seen Crouse all over the place (two drafts having him go at #10).

His lack of production is hurting him, as he seems to possess a lot of other good qualities.

Marner on the other hand is a production machine and is more consistently ranked in the top 5.

I think he recently put up absurd numbers in the playoffs as well (something like 13 points in four games), so his stock isn't likely to fall.

Yea, I've seen those things as well. This was the midterm ranking, not surprised Crouse will drop. One mock draft I've seen has us taking Mikko Rantanen at #5.

Edited by hopper915

Hanifin, Faulk, and Fleury could anchor an awasome d for a long time....and Hanifin is the consensus #3 best player...it would not be shocking to see a run on fowards 1-4 and Hanifin would be the obvious and awsome choice.

Just about every team that goes deep has that total stud defenseman. Hanifin will probably be that...

I still like Marner. I know we all want the big boys, but Marner plays big and if we got him we could think about trading Skiner for some D at some point. But despite the size I'm not pining for Crouse at all at this point. Marner will become a point per game player.

Obviously bummed we didn't win, and then seconarily bummed that Edmonton won, but at least we will get a stud, I really did not want to slide to 6.

On Edmonton, now that they are sickeningly deep at high draft pick forwards, one does wonder if one of their top pick forwards might be gettable in a trade...I am thinking that they were teed up to take Hanifin.

Edited by remkin

Like I said, I'm really glad we didn't get pushed to #6.

I'm bummed it's Edmonton, but THANK GOD it wasn't the Flyers, Devils, or Columbus (whose odds were similar to ours, and whose combined odds were much higher than ours).

If McDavid is the "next one", let him do his thing out West.

OK so he's now buried in the West on a team that will squander his talents.

Folks, we need to thank our lucky stars that Columbus didn't get the pick.  I think Columbus will be a real challenge next year.  Devils, not so much, but also glad they didn't get it.  

Edited by wxray1

I'm just incredulous that so many on here are on the Marnier bandwagon. Not only is he slight in build, but there are reports that he has a concussion history. Now, I cannot state that I personally read those reports, but Sittler27 on Canes Country is reporting that. Skinner is our own poster boy of the results of this tendency, and I for one do not want to go thru the frustration of having a phenom's  light dimmed by a goon.

My hope is that we take Mikko Ratanen, but I'm always wrong.

Edited by KJUNKANE

OK so he's now buried in the West on a team that will squander his talents.

Folks, we need to thank our lucky stars that Columbus didn't get the pick.  I think Columbus will be a real challenge next year.  Devils, not so much, but also glad they didn't get it.  

The Jackets will be a challenge for the entire Eastern Conference next year. 

I'm just incredulous that so many on here are on the Marnier bandwagon. Not only is he slight in build, but there are reports that he has a concussion history. Now, I cannot state that I personally read those reports, but Sittler27 on Canes Country is reporting that. Skinner is our own poster boy of the results of this tendency, and I for one do not want to go thru the frustration of having a phenom's light dimmed by a goon.

My hope is that we take Mikko Ratanen, but I'm always wrong.

Personally I'm not on or off the Marner bandwagon because I don't know much about him. I haven't seen anything about concussions though.

A couple of other notes:

Strome and Marner are both life-long Leafs fans.

The guy who drafted Marner for London is also a part of the Maple Leafs draft strategy team, so there is a chance he goes to Toronto.

Bob McKenzie asked (towards the end of March) ten scouts who they had ranked higher, Strome or Marner?

5 said Strome, 5 said Marner.

There are a lot of online articles/discussions that revolve around Marner vs. Strome (and even Hanifen).

It is pretty obvious that I'm not a fan of Skinner, but I'm not going to hold that against Marner. By most accounts from those in the know, he is a pretty special talent. If he has a concussion history that is different but I haven't seen anything about that in the draft/prospect analysis I've been reading.

One note about Rantanen.

He's playing in a men's league in Finland, and he is the alternate captain at 17 IIRC. He averages around .5 ppg, the same as Barkov did in his draft year and he went #2 overall. He is also 6'4 and 205+ pounds.

I've already posted here about how impressed I was with Rantanen at the WJC's.

Like some others here, Crouse is a guy I'm leery of. Not being able to produce at the OHL level should be a concern to anyone.

I think Rantanen and Provorov are dark horses, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the Canes draft either one.

Edited by Kyrule

Then, kyrule, read thru the current discussion on Canes Country. I too know nothing against either personally, but just reflecting what I'm reading.

Then, kyrule, read thru the current discussion on Canes Country. I too know nothing against either personally, but just reflecting what I'm reading.

Looks like he may have sustained a very recent concussion during the playoffs.

If that is the case that makes me concerned.

Like I said, I'm not for or against taking Marner because I don't know much about him, but this would definitely be a consideration.

If McDavid, Eichel, Strome, and Hanifen are gone by the time we draft (and they likely will be) then things get interesting.

It would likely come down to Marner, Crouse, Provorov, or Rantanen.

If Marner has a concussion then I would lean towards Rantanen or Provorov.

Really disappointing either way to hear about Marner, I feel bad for the kid.

Edited by Kyrule

Well, now I'm reading over at HF Boards that it may have been whiplash, not a concussion. It may have been a mild concussion but it doesn't sound like anyone is saying for certain. Marner himself said it was "head and neck."

Still, it does smack of semantics.

Someone wrote that in 180 OHL and international games, Marner has missed 7 games. All as a result of dirty hits/plays that resulted in suspensions.

His first injury was not a concussion, but this one may be.

Most people on the boards there dont seem to think it will affect Marner's value, although some do (one said it was the decider for him between Strome and Marner, and another made a Skinner remark which goes to your point).

Damien Cox already put up a post-lottery mock draft and he has Marner going at #6 (he has us taking Crouse). He must be aware of the injury but makes no note of it.

That's what I've been trying to say/point out, Kyrule. And a previous discussion by the poster,Sittler27, who seems to know a lot about the business of as well as played the game( he claims), says he's had previous ones. Do I know this to be true, no, but that's been on there as well.

I also feel very sorry for that kid, but am not sure the Canes, with all their problems, should take the risk of possibly having another conclusive risk?

OK, thanks for that clarification. If things are playing out like you and several others are projecting, I also wonder if some team a few past us might exchange, then we take Rantanen if that's whom RF wants.

Edited by KJUNKANE

It'll be interesting to see if/how this affects his draft stock. You would think the Canes would be pretty sensitive to concussion related injuries.

Marner's whiplash/concussion injury happened on an elbow to the head by the son of Bryan Marchment. If people don't remember him, he was one of the dirtier defenseman of his day. Maybe the dirtiest.

He (Mason Marchment) has been suspended indefinitely from what I'm reading.

What a shame.

Still, three mock drafts are up post injury/post lottery and two have Marner going at #6, and another has the Canes taking him at #5.

Out of the two that have Marner going at #6, one has us taking Crouse, the other has us taking Rantanen.

So it doesn't seem like the injury is affecting Marner's stock too much as of now. I'm not saying it shouldn't, I'm just posting what I'm seeing.

Edited by Kyrule

If the plan is to take Crouse then we should trade down. Otherwise I see Hanflin falling to us at 5 which I am fine with. Good teams build their blue line from the draft.

Fluery-Faulk

Hanflin-McKeown

Murphy-?

That top 4 will be quite solid. It would be a come0lete moron move to bot draft the BPA at 5 and go with Crouse or Ristananrn.

The likelihood of Hanifin falling to us is a real possibility. The only team I saw taking him in the top 4 was Edmenton, but that's not happening anymore.

I doubt Arizona wastes that high of a pick on D, especially since they have OEL. It makes too much since for them to draft Strome. They need a little bit of everything, but Strome can be a franchise Center. They could take Marner because he played with Domi in the OHL.

I could see Toronto drafting Hanifin if they trade one of Phaneuf/Gardiner/Reilly. I think they'd choose Strome if it were him vs Marner.

I agree with BD58, if we don't draft any of the big 5, we should trade down. I read there was speculation that Colorado was offering O'Reilly and their pick to move up in the draft. I'd take that deal in a heartbeat.

On Crouse. I feel like if we didn't take Nick Ritchie over Fleury last year, I feel we probably wouldn't take Crouse over most top 10 prospects. In fact I predict Crouse is the player that falls way below his projection.

Also, the NHL world seems up in arms about Edmenton getting the first pick. I think it's hilarious. McDavid didn't look to happy after they announced it. MacTavish has already gone on record that he will not trade the pick. So if McDavid doesn't want to play there, speak now or forever hold your piece. No one, even a bunch of Oilers fans wouldn't blame him for requesting otherwise.

The oilers might be more willing to part with guys like Hall or RNH for a dman or experienced young veteran, but I wouldn't do that if I were them either. It would probably cost us Jordan or Faulk, which I wouldn't do.

The team I really didn't want to get him was Toronto.

I didn't really care about buffalo getting him because they're always going to be losers, but I'm sorta glad they didn't get rewarded for that blatant tank job they did. With the roster they put out, they knew there were not going to field a competitive team.

I hoped Arizona would've won if it wasn't us.

If McDavid, Eichel, Hanifin, Strome are top 4 picks, the Canes at No. 5 could take a hard look at a couple of players with size and skill.

5 retweets 7 favorites

---------------------------------

Well, I would say it is possible that the team could look to trade down if Marner is a available at #5. 

Edited by coastal_caniac

When he struggled to pull the card out of Carolina's envelope, I thought maybe, maybe...

...sigh.

I was getting ready to jump for joy. I thought it was a sign. The Oilers again? Sheesh. If they had 20 overall 1st in a row, would that be enough?