The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Whaler1

2015 NHL Entry Draft

Also, the NHL world seems up in arms about Edmenton getting the first pick. I think it's hilarious. McDavid didn't look to happy after they announced it. MacTavish has already gone on record that he will not trade the pick. So if McDavid doesn't want to play there, speak now or forever hold your piece. No one, even a bunch of Oilers fans wouldn't blame him for requesting otherwise.

The oilers might be more willing to part with guys like Hall or RNH for a dman or experienced young veteran, but I wouldn't do that if I were them either. It would probably cost us Jordan or Faulk, which I wouldn't do.

The team I really didn't want to get him was Toronto.

I didn't really care about buffalo getting him because they're always going to be losers, but I'm sorta glad they didn't get rewarded for that blatant tank job they did. With the roster they put out, they knew there were not going to field a competitive team.

I hoped Arizona would've won if it wasn't us.

I noticed that too, but he's already said he'll be fine going to whatever team drafted him.  He doesn't appear to have much Lindross in him.

I second your point about Toronto.  Not only didn't I want that, it would have left just a sliver of doubt in my mind about the fix being in.  I see no reason for the league to steer the #1 pick to Edmonton again. 

In a way, I feel responsible for us not getting it.  I ran the draft simulator once and it came up Carolina; I fear I used up our 1 win. :(  

I like Marner because he is a game breaker with playmaking skills and a tiger heart. The league has many skilled forwards that are about his size or smaller. Again, think Patrick Kane. I was not aware of any concussion history. Big guys can get concussions too. But if that is an issue, I would factor it in.

I just wonder about drafting a power forward #5 like Crouse. If we want him I do hope we trade down. Ritanan is intriguiging because he is big but looks very skilled. So hard to read these young guys who play in elite men's leagues because they aren't likely to put up monster numbers. He did look good in the highlights of the World Junior tournament.

Trading up or down is infrequent, but I do agree if Marner is on the board we might be able to move down a notch but what would we get? Maybe a second round pick? But a high one in a deep draft.

But if the concussion thing is taken out, I love Marner.

i have read on a few hockey boards, but  McDavid looking upset, no offense, we dont really know. Could have been nerves,   excitement, no offense but i thinks it funny , how so many people have been trying to read  his body language.. Congrats to Edmonton, who knows, they could be in the playoffs, we will know next year... I want  Hanifan so bad, but think Arizona takes him at 3.. I want to say quite a few of you have done your homework on these players, thanks, i  have learned alot!.

Edited by dinz

On Skinner, late in year, we saw flashes of the old Skinner, going closer to net :),  just missing on his shots on net... But we  need more than flashes, i think he has it in him, not sure management does in long term.. JMO

i have read on a few hockey boards, but  McDavid looking upset, no offense, we dont really know. Could have been nerves,   excitement, no offense but i thinks it funny , how so many people have been trying to read  his body language.. Congrats to Edmonton, who knows, they could be in the playoffs, we will know next year... I want  Hanifan so bad, but think Arizona takes him at 3.. I want to say quite a few of you have done your homework on these players, thanks, i  have learned alot!.

I actually think, assuming McDavid pans out to be the player he's being hyped up to be, the Oilers can field a playoff team as quickly as next year.  Prior to the start of this season, a lot of pundits picked them as a dark horse to make the playoffs.  They had a lot of issues similar to Carolina (inconsistency from top players and significant injuries).  When they got everybody back, they started winning games.  Having McDavid could relieve some of the burden put onto guys like RNH and Yakupov to work miracles.  I know people are complaining that they're hording 1st picks, but they're kind of in the same boat as we are.  Edmonton & Winnipeg were voted least attractive destinations for FA's.  

Lol, I read a post from an Oilers fan last night, he basically said thanks to people who wanted to make the lottery so the Oilers don't get anymore 1st's.  I got a good chuckle off that, because if they had just left well-enough alone, it would've been Arizona or Buffalo.

And as far as Hanifin, if Seth Jones can drop from projected 1st overall to 5th, Hanifin can drop as well.  Arizona has someone who they can consider a franchise D-Men, and they can use their other 1st from Chicago to go D.  They don't have a #1 Center.  Also, I just read an article where Hanifin basically said he's not ready to play in the NHL.  That could be a turn off for some.

I think Arizona probably takes Hanifin too, but GMs tend to favor high scoring forwards, especially centers and there have been years where there were runs on forwards. Jones was an even more highly tauted dman, univerasally picked to go #1, and went #4 I think. And that was not a year with McEichel. If Hanifin is there at 5 that probably means Strome and Marner are gone, and Hanifin would be a great choice.

Edit: I had my post sitting unposted while you wrote, PK, great minds and all. Runs on forwards do happen.

Edited by remkin

IMO, it would be boneheaded not to take Hannifan if he's sitting there.  I don't think AZ takes Hannifan, for exactly the reason laid out by PenaltyKiller. 

Also, AZ's GM gushed all over himself at the thought of picking Marner.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Even more than the Seth Jones draft. Ryan Murphy was the 4th ranked prospect in his draft class, and fell to us at 12th. I believe Cam Fowler was a top 4 prospect in his draft class, and people on this board wanted JR's head for drafting Skinner over him.

I just think top line centers are hard to find too, and imo Arizona is thinner at forward. They couldn't score at all this season. I would love to have Strome on the Hurricanes, and he looked bigger than Hanifin and McDavid when they were sitting next to each other. Realistically I see little chance he'll be there at 5.

First off, let me acknowledge upfront that my familiarity with the 2015 draft prospects is limited to a bit I've read (i.e., pretty shallow).  Having said that, I'm thinking against the grain a bit.

If Hanifin is still there at #5 and we want to go defense, I'm thinking about trading down to #9 or 10 where one of either Werenski or Provorov should still be available.  If Hanifin turns out to be the franchise d-man that some project, that's probably a mistake.  But projecting d-men at such a young age seems to be much less exact than forwards. And a couple of scouting reports have one or the other or both ahead of Hanifin on their lists (TSNs scouting director Craig Button had Hanifin sliding out of his top 10 near the end of the year). 

Hanifin and Werenski were both college freshmen last season, Provarov played inf the WHL.

Hanifin:      6'3" 205lbs,  37gp,  5g, 18a  +12

Werenski:  6'2" 214lbs,  35gp,  9g, 16a   +9

Provarov:   6'0" 201lbs,  60gp,15g, 46a, +36

Hanifin and Werenski's careers are very similar, right up to playing on many of the same national teams. And their stats over their respective careers are almost identicalhttp://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=186311   http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=177710

But Hanifin has gotten all of the press, so if we can leverage the #5 pick to get a similar d-man plus some much needed depth elsewhere, I say go for it.

Of course, this is mostly speculation on my part.  I trust that Canes mgmt, who have actual knowledge about the available players, will make a much more informed decision. :)

EDIT: part of all of the above is that I'm much less comfortable drafting a d-man with a top 5 pick than a forward.  Just seems like they are so much less predictable at that age.

Edited by LakeLivin

Two mock drafts post lottery: Damien Cox and Bleacher Report: 3-6:

Hanifin,Strome,Crouse, Marner

Strome,Hanifin, Marner, Crouse

Bold is our pick.

New mock drafts will change, but one said that Strome and Hanifin are the next two.

I'd love to hear more from anyone enamoured with Crouse. Not that he won't be good, but why that high?

Just read that the first 3 ping pong balls drawn were #s 5, 14, and 6.  At that point, of the remaining 11 balls,  4 would have won for the Leafs (36%), 3 for the Sabres (27%), 2 for the Oil (18%), and 1 each for the Canes (9%) and BJs (9%).

Edited by LakeLivin

Anyone interested in staying on top of all of the mock drafts can go to:

dcprosportsreport.com

Then click on mock databases at the top.

Then click on NHL mock databases.

Would really love if we could have hanifin. Kind of a wild idea, but I wonder, if we drafted hanifin, if we could trade for some of edmonton's young forwards. I'd rather draft and keep hanifin but there are a lot of options out there now.

I thought McDavid looked less than thrilled when asked about playing in Edmonton. If his agent let the Oilers know that he would not sign if drafted (trying to pressure them to trade the pick) does he go back into the draft next year, or do the Oilers retain his rights until he caves and signs? BTW, I can't help but think who was sitting in the 3 spot most of the year until Arizona and Toronto began mailing it in every night. Glad neither of them were rewarded with McDavid or Eichel, though both should get good players (as should the Canes).

Oilers would either trade the pick (unlikely), draft him then trade him or retain his rights.

I don't see it going that route, I see Edmonton fans putting him on a Gretzky pedestal and destroying the best thing that's happened to them.

Speculating that given all of the top of draft fowards Edmonton picked, and their need for D, they were pretty much all in on the idea of picking Hanifin at #3. I'm sure they are thrilled with the win, and McDavid, but assuming no John Elway (or Jack Johnson) moves, it will be anohter forward and they will almost have to trade one of their primo forwards. I have not tried to figure out a deal, and not sure if Cam, for instance would block a trade there, but just thinking there could be something there for some team.

Edited by remkin

Sidney Crosby

Claude Giroux

Pavel Datsyuk

Patrick Kane

Zach Parise

Joe Pavelski

Jordan Eberle

Tomas Plekanac

What do all of these guys have in common? (besides being elite forwards).

Edited by remkin

They're all 5-11

Bingo! Marner!

Add: Nikita Kucherov, TJ Oshie

Then

Jiri Hudler

Tyler Johnson

Jonny Gaudrea

Tomas Tatar

Martin St Louis

All UNDER 5'11"

Marner! Marner! Marner!

I agree if the opportunity presents itself, it would be foolish not to take Marner. But I think with our other higher picks we need to take some bigger guys, maybe try to get another mid range first rounde. I'd love to take greenway with our second rounder.

Yeah, this is also where it would have been sweet to get the Kings first rounder this year. It probably would have been around #15 and we could have weighed size heavily there too.