Jiri Hudler

Tyler Johnson

Jonny Gaudrea

Tomas Tatar

Martin St Louis

All UNDER 5'11"

Marner! Marner! Marner!

This one is for you Remkin.

The current holder of the NHL's "iron-man" streak is Andrew Cogliano (Anaheim).

5'10 and 184.lbs

Seems to be a lot of speculation that Hanifin would stay at BC one more season. I guess it wouldn't be a bad thing, but I'd love to see him out there in 15/16 if he is the pick. He seems pro-ready.

Krule wrote:

This one is for you Remkin.

The current holder of the NHL's "iron-man" streak is Andrew Cogliano (Anaheim).

5'10 and 184.lbs

Nice. Again, I'm not looking for small guys, I'm saying I'm not scared off of Marner, who scored more ppg than any OHLer outside of one Conner McDavid at 2.0 points per game (McDavid put up 2.55 ppg).

Speaking of small guys, not a lot of mention, but one Sergie Tolchinsky put up 1.56 ppg and plus 41 to lead his team to first overall regular seasson out of 20 teams. His 1.56 ppg was good for #7 in the OHL. But really, after McDavid, Marner and Strome, it was pretty close between Tolchinsky and the guys in 4-7.

I assume he goes to Charlotte next year?

Edited by remkin

On the whole "size matters" thing, one of the things that Peters said at the year end presser was "JStaal is 6'4" every shift".  Size does matter and RF and BP know this will count going forward.  I'm not saying they should pass on Marner, but as a whole, size must be addressed on this team.

Edited by super_dave_1

Someone forgot to tell that to the Canadiens, who're the smallest team in the league, 2nd in the conference, and on the verge of a 1st round sweep of the hottest team going into the playoffs.

Someone also told that to Boston, who are a big team and got upset by Montreal last year, and are now out of the playoffs.

Size matters some, skill matters more.

I think i'm not going out on a limb here if I say that Gerbe plays larger than his actual size.

We are all familiar with players on our own team that play a lot smaller than their actual size.

I think the management is being kind when they say we have a size issue, instead of publicly shaming some of these guys by saying we have a "toughness" or "grittyness" or "physicality" issue.

Our issue is too many softies.  Still.

Agree Hag. Marner is no softie. Not saying anyone said he was, but he plays bigger.

So does McGinn BTW. Not quite ready maybe, but when he is, he will be a favorite.

And speed.

This more than anything IMO.  Anyone know if Marner can skate, since he seems to have good hands.

I mention this because Skinner and E. Staal are a step slow.  Even when they hang/cheat it doesn't translate.  Watch NYR and you'll see what I mean.  They spring guys like crazy, win those races to negate icing, etc.  They also have guys a few inches short.

"A dynamic offensive forward that backchecks hard and establishes his presence through playing smart, puck-possession hockey. A very quick skater gifted with great hands and hockey sense. Battles hard in all three zones and shows a willingness to do whatever it takes to get the puck to the back of the net; an unselfish player. Embodies the definition of a dynamic number-generating machine who makes the players around him better."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

"What makes Marner so dynamic is his ability to generate plays for himself and teammates with his great speed and playmaking ability. He said that knowing his opponent and their tendencies is an important part of his preparation each game."

Edited by LakeLivin

I think i'm not going out on a limb here if I say that Gerbe plays larger than his actual size.

We are all familiar with players on our own team that play a lot smaller than their actual size.

I think the management is being kind when they say we have a size issue, instead of publicly shaming some of these guys by saying we have a "toughness" or "grittyness" or "physicality" issue.

Our issue is too many softies.  Still.

I've been saying this for years, we don't have a size problem, we have a "soft" problem.

IIRC JR did in fact say at the beginning of last season something to the effect of "we have some big bodies that don't play big."

Some here were speculating that he was talking about guys like Harrison and Hainsey, so it has been put out there but not much has changed.

The way I see it is, if you have guys that aren't filling their role or not competing, then you move those players along.

I agree that you draft the best player available, you don't pass on a guy because others aren't doing their job. The only way you draft by need/size/physicality is if you consider all other things equal.

Manwolf, I've read that Marner has speed but what he really excels at as far as skating is his lateral movement. When I read his player profiles the word "speed" is almost always there so I'm guessing it is a strength.

One more comment.

The scouting combine is coming up and Marner has already said he plans on fully participating.

I don't think GM's and scouts put too much into the actual drills, but I do think the interview process carries some weight. It is the first opportunity to meet with prospects face to face and gauge their confidence, attitude, character, family values, etc..

Much of this is gathered from former coaches and other resources but there is nothing like looking someone in the eye and asking them in-depth questions and judging their responses. Every year when a player is selected one of the first things you hear the GM talk about is how the player responded/how the player was viewed after the interview process.

What do you guys think about Skinner for the 6th overall? I think I heard New Jersey is looking for a young scoring winger.

Edited by donwake

Don't think Skinner would get us the 6th after the season he just had, plus his health issues. I think we would have to add significantly. I hope next year he stays healthy all year and has a great season. Then we won't want to trade him. :lol:

OK, still cant get the video to work to find out why he drops Hanifin so far, but here is Craig Button's April rankings (his rankings of the best players in his opion, not his predicted mock draft):

1. McDavid

2. Eichel

3. Strome

4. Marner

5. Provorov

6. Werenski

7. Conner

8. Boeser

9. Meier

10. Chabot

11. Crouse

12. Hanifin

13. Merkely

14. Rantanen

Clearly he sees Marner as the last of the great forwards after McEichel and Strome.

The next forward he has is Kyle Conner, who is not really even our on board radar. He us also not a big fan of Crouse or Rantanen as top picks, with 3 more forwards ahead of them in the top 10: Conner, Boeser, and Meier.

If there is a run on forwards and we miss Strome and Marner, and want to go defense, Button says Provorov. I have heard he is the most NHL ready of the defensmen and a lot of good stuff on him in mock drafts.

Edited by remkin

Hobey Baker finalist Hyman won’t sign with Florida

University of Michigan senior Zach Hyman-taken by Florida int he fifth round of the 2010 NHL Entry Draft-- has informed the Panthures he won't be signing an entry level deal with the club.

.....This move is not unlike what Kevin Hayes and Justin Schultz did with their drafting teams (Chicago and Anaheim, respectively.) Both waited for the mid-August deadline to pass, then became UFAs and signed elsewhere (with the Rangers and Oilers, respectively.)

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/21/hobey-baker-finalist-hyman-wont-sign-with-florida/

What are the chances Noah Hanafin could Jack Johnson us? Seems unlikely, but then I suspect it also seemed unlikely back when we drafted JJ.

The guys above were not signed by their teams as they went through college and were close to graduation, and their stock rose, and they went UFA. How many hockey players the NHL team wants to sign early pull the JJ move?

Edited by remkin

I think Hyman made it as long as he did because he's only recently shown any promise otherwise I would hope the Panthers would have put out the red carpet sooner and detected shenanigans earlier as well.

I'll give it to JR that he detected shenanigans early with JJ and got rid of him at a decent return.

Say shenanigans one more time!

Edited by legend-1

I think Hyman made it as long as he did because he's only recently shown any promise otherwise I would hope the Panthers would have put out the red carpet sooner and detected shenanigans earlier as well.

I'll give the JR detected shenanigans early with JJ and got rid of him at a decent return.

Say shenanigans one more time!

Shenanigans!

In retrospect, we learned the source of JJ's issues, and they were pretty obvious and out there.  Agree about the kudos to JR on that.  Recent news has shown that JR can have a salty side.  I wonder what JR said to JJ's parents?  Would have been interesting to be a fly on that wall.

Adam Kimelman of NHL.com put out another mock draft a couple of days ago.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=764205

He has us on Marner with Hanifin going #3 to Arizona.

Mitchell Marner, C, London (OHL)

A small but dynamic scorer who has earned comparisons to Patrick Kane of the Chicago Blackhawks. The Hurricanes need an offensive jolt, and Marner has been lauded for his great vision and passing ability as well as his underrated shot. He’s grown four inches and added 15 pounds since being picked by London in the 2013 OHL draft, so he could hit another growth spurt.

Interstingly he has Rantanen moving up to #6.